1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

01/12 Shrine Practices: Monday Report

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by joeydolfan, Jan 13, 2009.

1. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    An update from TFY on Mondays practice. Some names in here I know a few of the Gurus and others have been following.

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=443

Looks like the Bear had a rough practice, the next one below is for you Con.

BuckeyeKing and Conuficus like this.
  2. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thanks.

Hunt is a guy who is intriguing because of his speed and first step. He is a little short IIRC. I have seen him vary from 6'2'' to 6' so that I'd like to see. He has long arms no matter what and he can flat out explode up field. He can be a little soft in the run game, but that is common with guys like him - lighter DE.

I will be curious to see how he does, and what he does. I haven't looked yet but I hope he is at the Senior Bowl. Seeing him live and at different positions would be nice. Also, getting a legit height and weight would be a benefit also.

3. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    Phillip hunt is a very interesting prospect

4. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    I hope what TFY reported comes about with Hunt getting some playing time at Linebacker. We shall see.....

5. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    If they don't this week, you can bet they'll have a look next week. Current NFL people are crawling all over that game, so they'll try and get as much preliminary info as they can from that week. Given his height also, they'll want to see that part of his game before moving forward I would have to think.

6. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Matt Shaughnessy played well on opening day, not unexpectedly. I think he's a good player.

7. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    I didn't see him listed in the TFY report Boomer, where do you get your updates from on the east West and Senior Bowls from?

8. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I get them from the east and I get them from the west. ;)

sws84 likes this.
  9. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Lol, did not see the national football post link Sam put in. One of those Nah, Nah, Nah moments. :lol:

You going to do the draft day chat again this year Boomer? Really enjoyed it last year and want to put my name in the hat again if you are.

10. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I gotta get my name in that hat too.

11. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Was a lot of fun last year. Most memorable moment for me? 3rd round Dolphin pick, everyone is taking stabs at a guess, Langford is announced and no one guessed right. Was really funny since most of us who follow the draft knew we were hot on Langford and the pick was right in front of us and we still whiffed. :lol:

MrClean likes this.
  12. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I even had him in a Mock I did in the 3rd round. Go figure.

Yeah it was a lot of fun. But it was a weird day for me by the end of it all.

I also remember that day I found out a friend of mine had died. Bit surreal to say the least.

13. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Ouch, sorry to hear that bro, bad mix with such an exciting day to get grimm news like that.

14. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thats life for you though. What can you do?

I've had a friend die whilst I was one room away. He had an epilleptic seizure in the bathtub and drowned. We were supposed to be going out that night. He was getting cleaned up first, then it would have been my turn.

One guy I knew I saw get sucked in by a train as it went by and needless to say that was the end for him. Sad stuff for sure, but it happens to people every day all over the world.

I will say that this time of year is one of my favorites, as I get to expound on my endless hours of watching the game. It is a lot of fun regardless of what happens.

15. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Wow, I have never experienced any type of loss like that on such a personal level and hope I never do. To be honest, not sure how or if I would be able to handle it.

Before we get whacked by the mods for being off topic, the Draft is definitely my favorite time of the year. I can remember as a kid dying for my draft report from Dolphins digest so I could pour over all the info and take it all in.

16. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I remember getting the magazines and looking through them and saying "I don't agree with that grade." Imagine that. :lol:

I definitely like the internet age much more than the paper back version.

17. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Brandon Underwood is definitely one to watch. He's been getting hot over the last month or two and he's maintaining it.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm thinking, from what I gather, that Brandon Underwood, Dan Ellerbe, Mike Thomas, Manny Johnson, Jason Phillips, Ryan Palmer, Don Carey...and some of the OLs (Jamon Meredith, Jaimie Thomas, Seth Olsen) would be the guys I'd be interested in hearing more about.

19. Biggtyme13

Biggtyme13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Heres one guy I am looking forward to see play in the game. At 6'4 330 he could be a possible Nose Tackle prospect for us.

- Stillman (AL) DT Sammie Lee Hill… very good natural size, wide-body frame, flashed some quickness off the snap, had a nice spin move that would have led to a sack if it was a live drill, but later had a slight limp to his step due to a slightly strained left hamstring.

20. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Sammie Lee Hill and Jamon Meredith stand out for me as well. Plus I want to see how well Kelly, the WR for Clemson performs, he is a big kid and is a definite need for any WR we pick. I think we have enough small receivers, now we need our Plaxico/TO.

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I would just caution that we don't necessarily need a huge guy. A guy that is like 6'1" or 6'2" might do. Lance Moore is 5'9" and caugth 10 TDs for Drew Brees this year. Hines Ward is no bigger than 6'0" (probably smaller) and he's a TD machine.

Personally I think we need more than just the size in our WRs. We need more capability over there. We don't know what Camarillo will do with the knee, Bess so far is specialized, Ginn has been specialized, we need guys we can add to the 3- and 4-WR spreads...go some no-huddle, be aggressive and push the ball down the field.

22. joeydolfan

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    I just keep looking at the Giants and the size of their WR and TE and wonder if the staff took what they had to work with, but still want to move in that direction? Look at Kevin Boss and the incredible gem they found in such a big TE from a small school.

Plus I keep going back to what Sparano said after we lost to the Ravens. We want to continue to get bigger, stronger and better.

23. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    Is this the former buckeye? I remember a Brandon Underwood there but never knew what happened to him.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's the one. Lost his scholarship for being late to meetings and academic reasons. Dumb kid doing dumb things.

PeaTearGriffin likes this.
  25. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Jason Phillips I've seen a couple of times this season. It's a terrible year for MLB's, but he was one of the more impressive ones. He's ALWAYS around the football, 3 down linebacker, plays pass very well. Didn't make a lot of plays per se, but with Hughes flying around in front of him, he's flying around the 2nd level.

Ellerbe never really stands out for me when I watch the Bulldogs. And I think he's probably no more than 230lbs. Jamon Meredith is a very decent player. Very decent. Technically he's strong, good feet, although an odd kick slide. But he's balanced, he moves very well and he has good hands and you don't get round him. He looks like he could do with some work in the weight room, but I think he's very underrated.