1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'09 Expectations/Disappointments

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Mar 10, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

What do you want to see to consider the season a success? Do we have to have a winning record?

What I would consider a success is continued improvement. For example. ST were horrible for the majority of last year and turned it on going down the stretch. If we see a consistent improvement in ST I will consider the year a partial success. If our team gets better as a whole throughout next year I will consider it a success. If we even get a .500 record I will consider the year a success. If our first round pick (or if we trade down the pick we got from the first round pick) is a success I will consider it a success. Also, obviously, if we punch any of our division rivals in the mouth in their stadium it will be a success.

What would make you consider the year a disappointment?

If we have the same consistency on third downs as we had last year I will be incredibly disappointed. There were a few games last year that I believe really came down to not being able to convert and having to punt the ball. If we can't get better pressure on the QB from both sides of the line on a more consistent basis I'll be disappointed. If we don't win any division games I will be disappointed.

I think I've got some pretty realistic goals that I've set in my mind for the Dolphins next year. I think we will improve in the areas I've specified and I don't think I'll be all that disappointed, either. I don't know how our playoff situation will shake out (if there is any) but if we don't make the playoffs I won't consider it a failure.

I'm very excited for '09 Dolphins football and believe that some of the teams we face are very beatable if we play the game plan right.

Lookin' forward to hearing your thoughts on the matter. I figured it would be fun to get an idea of what people want to see happen way before the start of next year that way we can look back on this after the season is over and bring it back up again.

Frumundah Finnatic and HULKFish like this.
  2. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I expect to win the AFC East again. I'll settle for a wildcard berth in the playoffs. Anything less will be a disappointment. I also wouldn't mind a playoff win this time.

3. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I expect another playoff appearance from this team. They showed they could do it last year, and this this team will get better as time goes on. Yeah, playoffs is a realistic expectation.

anlgp likes this.
  4. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Expectations are hard

For the last few years, I have worked hard to keep my expectations in check. As with many of the rest of us, typically those expectations would be dashed often to a really bad extent. I guess no more then then the 1-15 season.

Last year, I really kept them in check. For me, a successful season would have been if we were still in the playoff picture with three weeks remaining in the season. Clearly the Phins surpassed my expectations by a wide margin, which is why, while disappointed in our playoff lose, didn't kill me as that normal would have. The season was a raging success.

This season is tougher, while we head into the season in much better shape then we have been, there is still much work to do. Additionally with what we were able to do last year, the AFC East Crown, it is harder to keep things in perspective. There is still much work to be done to make this team a true SB contender for many years, not a one shot and done, like the Cardinals probably will be. We face a much tougher schedule this season then we did last, while I understand that no win in the NFL is easy. But there can be no doubt that playing against the Steelers will be much different then playing against the Lions. At this point, we haven't addressed one key area in a significant way, our corners, which may cost us in a more pass happy AFC East, specifically the Pats and now the TO Bills. (I suspect that the Jets are going to be a run first offense.)

I am "OK" with us not making a big FA move to get a corner if the right guy wasn't there. But that coupled with not getting a #1 WR either indicates to me that The Trifecta are really looking at building this team, in those key areas, through the draft. Which means, there will be growing pains and learning curves. But I agree that this is the correct way to build a sustainable competitive team that in the next couple of years will once again be a team challenging for a SB berth for many years to come.

So how do I see this season shaping up? Well W/L wise, wouldn't surprise me if we see some regression here. Not saying we won't have a shot at winning the division, just may not take 11 games to do so. But won't surprise me if we don't win it either, unless we can beat NE twice and at least split with the Jets and Bills. Could make the playoffs as a wild card and hopefully can win one, at least.

IMO, I would caution us to keep expectations in check. One surprising season doesn't make a team competitive at the top levels of the NFL. Remember what happened when in year one under Saban, we ran off 6 straight wins to end the year. Many thought we were on the way to great things. Yeah that didn't happen in year two and then Satan quit, the last straw over 8 years that broke our backs and led to 1-15.

We are heading in the right direction, but slow and steady building will win in the long run, many MANY times over.

Rhody Phins Fan and anlgp like this.
  5. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Success would be winning a playoff game.
    Disappointment would be not making the playoffs.

GridIronKing34 and anlgp like this.
  6. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    We've tried being a consistant and competitive team loading up with free agents and it didn't work. Not trying to develop young players to fill positions is what has gotten us to where we were at 1-15. Its alright to pick up some free agents if the people who make those decisions know how to make the right choices. The problem is that most of the free agents (not all), but most are expensive and have declining skills and or injury problems. Some come with red flags because they are problems just looking for a time or place to happen. I would much rather have players who are young and have the time left in their career to develop into what the team needs.

anlgp likes this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Biggest disappointment of 2009 would be:

Not maintaining a commitment to teaching our own players and keeping them healthy and finding more youth that can play at a high level, and to me I want the Nicky Saban shadow to shrink this season.

Ricky Williams not setting the All Time Dolphins record for rushing yardage.

Ted Ginn falling backwards.

Largest possible success in 2009:

The majority of the draft picks and free agents make the roster and play at a high level.

Devone Bess leads the NFL in receptions

Ricky breaks the Dolphins record

Ronnie has that 1,500 yd season.

We make the playoffs, play the #1 seed, and are ahead of tied going into the 4th qtr.

Fin D and anlgp like this.
  8. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Disappointment would be to not have a much improved O-line opening consistent holes for Ronnie/Ricky/Patrick while giving Chad time to get rid of the ball.

Disappointment would be not having an improved D with 2nd year players, Cam Wake and 2nd year in the same system. Not to mention the new Safety tandem.

Disappointment would be to not battle in every game and have a chance at a second run to the playoffs and a more consistent team with chemistry.

anlgp likes this.
  9. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

It's realistic to expect a a decline. I think 8-8 or 9-7 is a very real possibility. Our schedule, on paper, is MUCH tougher than last season. And while we are attempting to get younger and not over-spending in free agency, we will still have weaknesses - some GLARING weaknesses. Our division has gotten tougher with Brady coming back, the Bills acquired Owens (YES, he will hurt us - especially with Evans opposite him and our questionable situation at the CB position). If our pass rush doesn't improve immensely, we are going to get toasted. Sure, Bell and Wilson are pretty good safeties, but Will Allen struggles against big, physical receivers and we won't have anyone proven on the opposite side - likely a rookie.

Offensively, we have improved our depth a lot on the o-line. But we still have to be concerned by injuries there. Smiley and Thomas are going to be question marks right out of the gate as far as durability goes. And there is a sharp drop off from who we'd all assume will be our starting o-line to our back ups.

Presently, our receivers are solid but unspectacular. And while Pennington is very efficient, he has obvious weaknesses in his game. This team is not built to come from behind and Pennington is not the type of QB who can pass a team to a come from behind win.

Our running backs are great. But when you take away Ronnie Brown's wild cat carries, his average per carry would dip under 4 ypc. That can be pinned equally on the line and his frustrating hesitation to hit the hole. YES, he does have a bit of a hesitation. And even a fraction of a second hesitation in the NFL can be the difference between a 3-4 yard gain and stopped for no gain or worse. Ricky isn't getting any younger, but he doesn't have the typical wear and tear of a back his age. He is quicker to the holes than Ronnie though. Then there is the question of Ronnie AND Ricky's durability. Ronnie just completed the only 16 game season of his career. Can he do it again? And will Williams, who has also suffered some injuries in the past, be able to make it through a full season?

We've also lost Holliday. He may not have been as productive as he had been in the past, but his leadership for the team can't be overlooked. The team will miss him in the locker room.

Sounds all doom and gloom, I know. But truthfully, we seem destined for a backward step, and then a bigger leap forward in 2010 once the roster has been completely transformed into what the F.O. is putting together.

anlgp likes this.
  10. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Expectations: I don't expect us to be quite as successful in the w/l column. But to see some of the following would be my "successful season" expectations: 1) at least 4 solid starters from the off-season (draft and FA). 2) The expectations that the Trio had of Thomas to be fulfilled. 3) Jason Allen to become a viable starter/backup. 4) Ginn to continue his improvement and put the doubts to rest. 5) Henne to show marked improvement and actually put a doubt into their minds of him or Penny in TC. If just these are met, the team would be better. Of course, the difference in the schedule may make it seem like we'd digressed, but these improvements would solidify the base that the Trio is building here.

Disappointments: Lack of a consistent running game, particularly after spending the money on the OL we have. Not better in 3rd down conversions. More quality and dependable depth on the roster. Lack of consistent pressure on the QB, another area we struggled in last season. To go into 2010 with as many holes as we have now...

anlgp likes this.
  11. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    My Expectations (Jets obviously):

Success:
    -- New England is winning this division as long as Brady is healthy (anyone who thinks otherwise should go watch the NFC or something) so I would be happy with a Wild Card berth and seeing what happens from there since anything can happen once you get to January as we have seen over the past few years with the Giants, Cardinals, etc.

Disappointment:
    -- Not improving on our 9-7 record last season with a better team, a better defensive minded coach, a better philosophy on defense and Brian Schottenheimer allowed to open up his bag of tricks (finally, hopefully) on offense. If this team is worse than 10-6, I'd be suprised. Honestly I can't see anything worse than 11-5, but as long as we don't go 9-7 or worse, the season isn't a disappointment considering the question mark at QB.

anlgp likes this.
  12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm going to send you a medical bill because I just dislocated some of my ribs from laughing so hard.

If you had to list quarterbacks in order of quality in the AFC East, Kelly Clemens would be what? Like #7, behind Ronnie Brown?

13. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Expectations: Playoffs, better on 3rd downs on BOTH sides of the ball, Tedd Ginn develops into a true #1, consistency from Ronnie, consistent QB pressure, Chad stays healthy so it can be enough with the "it's an odd year, Chad will be injured" statements

Dissapointments: No playoffs, Ted Ginn doesn't improve, up and down productivity from Ronnie, Pennington struggles, lack of evolution on offense, young guys on defense don't improve

anlgp and padre31 like this.
  14. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I think a lot of you have really high expectations for the Dolphins this year. I don't think we're going to be much better than 8-8 IF even at that. I mean look at our Schedule:

Home:Texans (8-8), Colts (12-4), Bucs (9-7), Saints (8-8), Steelers (12-4)

Away: Titans (13-3), Jaguars (5-11), Falcons (11-5), Panthers (12-4), San Diego (8-8)

Plus the obvious games vs The Pats, Bills, and Jets.

With the addition of Owens, and the return of Brady, I might give you a possible split in those two games and I believe we can sweep the Jets unless they find a Quarterback out of thin air.

If we make it to 8-8 or even 9-7 I think it will be a success, but anything below 7-9 will be a disappointment. Other than record wise, It would be a disappointment if we can't improve on our 3rd down % which absolutely killed us last year. Another thing I would like to see improved is the production from Ricky and Ronnie from just a base running formation, as opposed to the Wildcat which as the season went on became less and less of a factor, and again this year probably wont work out as well as last year.

anlgp likes this.
  15. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Schedules are for losers. Winners go out and play well against whoever is opposite them.

16. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    My personal goal for the team: Win Afc East
    Grand goal? Make it to the afc championship game. We do that...we are good.

anlgp likes this.
  17. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    3 home playoff games or bust.

anlgp likes this.
  18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I dont really care about the numbers...we dont know how our conference will play out..

What i do care about seeing....... staying true to our plan, seeing the new identity and culture form into something that is truly obvious to the eye and conscious..More team play, more toughness, more youth, more speed, more disipline, more draft picks making an impact, more unity between our fans and our team.

What i would be dissapointed in.....if we DID'NT take the approach that we are taking this offseason. I like the fact that we signed our own, and not signing a bunch of cut castoffs from other teams {new england.}

anlgp likes this.