1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 Things that Scream, "Don't Hire Me!"

Discussion in 'Jobs Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    10 Things that Scream, "Don't Hire Me!"

Red flag No. 1: You don't have any contact information on your résumé
    When you're crafting your résumé, you should focus on highlighting relevant skills and accomplishments that are in line with the position for which you are applying. But what good is an impressive résumé if hiring managers have no way to get in touch with its owner? If they can't find you, they can't hire you. Always provide a home address, phone number or e-mail address so employers can get in touch with you easily.
    Red flag No. 2: You have long gaps between jobs on your résumé
    Even if your long departure from the work force is valid, extended lapses of unemployment might say to an employer, "Why weren't you wanted by anyone?" Gimbel says. Anytime you have more than a three-month gap of idleness on your résumé, legitimate or otherwise, be prepared to explain yourself.

2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Dang, blew #4. But I did actually send them the references contact info later via email.

3. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia
    As someone who hires people, I agree mostly with the one about don't say anything negative about your previous employer. I would even go so far as to broaden that statement to your previous jobs period. In the beginning of an interview I usually ask about their previous jobs. One applicant told me that her current position was "boring". Needless to say that turned me off for the rest of the interview. My advice is this people, if you can't find something nice to say. BS and make something up!

4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

oh *@#$ how long i've been unemployed i better just start my own business. i've got a better chance of getting hired.

5. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    FFIC nice article. I found point 4 really hitting home to people i know. Here in Canada anyways, i find many people job hunting that are just finishing college to put at the end of the resume, "refernces available on request."

I tell all of them that is so bad to say. Its like saying yes i have references but i'm going to make you call me to find them, and then call them to ask about the applicant.

I don't see what the point of not listing them is. People, if someone knows you and has positive things to say about you and will vouch for you, put the reference down. Much more important to have on your short resume than your 2 years of part time experience at a fast food joint when you were 16, which btw is useless information now.

People get so worked up about resume's yet the best thing they can excercise is common sense and make it as easy as possible for the interviewer to see this person is good and right for this particular job. I find it difficult to understand why people make it more complicated than it really is.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  6. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm looking and have used that, but only on general applications visible to the public. I'm not going to make my references personal phone #'s available to all of monster.com.

7. femalefinfan

femalefinfan Phillies fan Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Philth-a-delphia

I see nothing wrong with putting that statement on your resume. Its on mine. But I always bring my refrence info with me on a separate page to the interview, this way, when they ask for them, I have them ready and separate from the resume.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.