1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 Things We Learned from Dolphins OTAs

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DrAstroZoom, Jun 10, 2013.

1. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Nothing earth-shattering here, but I've tied up some observations with a aqua-covered bow.

Check it out.

2. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I'm confused, did Reshad Jones hold out the first day or did he miss it because of "personal issues"? Are these the same in the media's eyes? There are conflicting opinions.

Otherwise, thanks for the summary, anxious for any football news at all.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  3. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    The Herald's Armando Salguero reported it was an aborted holdout.

invid likes this.
  4. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    If I recall correctly it was a hold out, but he came back to practice because they told him that if he did they would begin negotiations on an extension

5. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Good OTA's = No one got hurt.

Oboy, Larryfinfan and RevRick like this.
  6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Depends on who you want to believe. There were reporters, like Armando who yelled holdout! right away. I don't recall that being anything other than speculation at the time. AFAIK there never was any confirmation or indication from either the team or Jones that it was a holdout. The only indications came from the same reporters later claiming it was an aborted holdout.

Larryfinfan, PhinsRock and cuchulainn like this.
  7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    INOW the media types were hoping like hell for a hold out so they could squeeze some web hits out of it.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    What doesINOW mean..

I don't think Ireland has shown us any evidence that we shouldn't trust him when it comes to his players..I expect the jones contract extension to come thru.

Mandatory camp starts 2maro boys and girls..shoot man, if I was there I would totally spie on that shi$.

9. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    In other words, we talkin bout' practice man...:lol:

10. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    A Lot of talk in general. Let's see what we get on the field. Grimes may be in for a big pay day after this year lols. Didn't he get 5.5M for 1 year? That's a pretty big pay day. I need to see what Dion Jones and Jamar Taylor do in games or Ireland may go back on a lot of people's crap list. How patient do we have to be to see production from Jones, and Taylor? Olivier Vernon and Lamar Miller need to build on last season's success. It's dumb to get draft grades right after the draft. How about a draft grade on the 2012 draft?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1516439-what-to-expect-from-dolphins-2012-draft-class-in-2013

Killer B's likes this.
  11. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    FWIW Im hearing from my guy that it wasn't a hold out, that Ireland and Jones are on the same page, and that an extension is likely (unless Jones wants mega mega bucks) by week 8

bigbucks24, Larryfinfan and djphinfan like this.
  12. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Good work Steve

DrAstroZoom likes this.
  13. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Talk is cheap this time of year, don't put much stock into anything I read until TC actually starts. Like ALL NFL Fans, I hold out a LOT of hope and read way too much into everything I read about our Dolphins this time of year. Good thread and article though, thanks for sharing.

14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

This all sounds great. It's still part of the 'underwear football' that's done during the offseason. TC will give us a lot more info. Can the OL come together ? Are the guys coming off injuries going to be ready for the season (Grimes, Keller, Dallas Thomas, Dion Sims, Marshall, etc) ? Can the staff meld all the additions into a team that can work together ?? Who will step up in a leadership role of the guys we've lost ? Can Miller, Thomas, Gillislee, etc really replace the production from Bush and enhance it ? How will they incorporate both Sims and VO, particularly when Starks come back into the rotation and Odrick moves back to DE ? Which Marshall will we see, the one that was pretty bad at CB before getting injured or the one that we signed him as a FA for ? Is Clemons going to continue his improvement and solidify the FS spot ??

All looks right in Dolphinland right now, but we'll have wait still longer to see.

15. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Reggie was a hard worker and a good role model but let's not pretend his production isn't easily replaceable. Sure he put up the highlight reel here and there but overall his numbers for his entire career are average at best. If over the next two years, Lamar Miller puts up identical numbers to Reggie's two with the Phins, I think most people will be disappointed.

16. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I believe reporters actually claimed to have it confirmed that Reshad Jones was holding out over displeasure related to his contract. That's what they said. I believe they used the term "confirmed". But what you have to remember is this stuff all happens real time and the moment he didn't report I'm sure the Dolphins were immediately on the horn trying to figure out what happened. Given that they'd already had some preliminary discussions about an extension, I think Ireland probably made it clear they will be getting his contract done this off season, they will not be waiting, it is their top priority after the June 1st contracts clear, and in return he asked him to report and make up a story (which has never even been fleshed out by any media, which is a red flag) about him missing a day for personal reasons.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Agreed, I think also you can tell from his little interview that day that this was the case..

I respect that kinda move by Ireland because I'm all about developing chemistry.

18. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    The day he wasn't at OTAs it was reported that the team spent much of the day trying to locate him. This struck me as odd if it was a negotiating tactic, as most players/agents make the threat of not attending before they actually do it. Since it took the Dolphins by surprise and Jones has claimed it wasn't over a contract but rather a personal reason there may be some truth to it.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/21/3407431/miami-dolphins-safety-reshad-jones.html#storylink=cpy

19. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Thanks guys. Looks like 40 more views will get it back on the Football Nation front page. Feel free to share, because that means one less Tim Tebow article on the front.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    So all we have to do is click on the link as many times as we wish?

21. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Ha. Not sure how they track hits.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Well I clicked on it five times for ya.

DrAstroZoom likes this.
  23. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    ... and like magic, it's back on the home page.