1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1780 British Warship Found In Lake Ontario

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Georgia Fin, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    CrunchTime and alen1 like this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Great find, pretty awesome.

Only one problem. It belongs to the British and the US discoverers won't raise it.

Georgia Fin likes this.
  3. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Well, I think they're handling it properly and treating it like a gravesite and not removing artifacts and all the other things people commonly do nowadays, very honorable. Just amazing that it survived intact going down in a storm and at a depth of 500 ft!!!

alen1 likes this.
  4. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    There are lot of ships that have been sunk in the Great Lakes .Those Lake storms can come up quickly and without much warning and and the waves can be huge and more closely spaced than in the ocean.

Still its a amazing find.Very well preserved it seems .It can claim to be the oldest ship in the bottom of the lakes .

Georgia Fin likes this.
  5. Dtronic

Dtronic Season Tickets Sec. 150

Dec 7, 2007
    Cape Coral FL
    I always wanted to be a pirate. We need to buy it and raise it, then go around with shore raiding parties and shooting cannons at passing ships.

6. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    i love this stuff....i just watched a documentary this past weekend about sunken ships in the Black Sea....used to belong to Russia so we were never able to navigate it to search but since the walls fell we have been researching and found several 16th century ships that sunk whilest trying to navigate trade routes.....its awesome!

CrunchTime likes this.
  7. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Great find. I am pleased that they declined to salvage or disclose the location. My Great Great Grandfather was serving on a grain bark as first mate. It was the winter of '56.. 1856 that is, and they were making a run from Milwaukee to Chicago and got caught in a blizzard. The storm pushed them ashore at Waukeegan Illinios wrecking the vessel, but sparing everyones life. The townspeople took the shipwrecked sailors into their homes, Grandpa thanked his hosts by marrying their daughter.

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Cool, I recall the finding of some of the British Ships that were sunk in Lake Champlain during the Revolutionary War, it was in incredible condition..