1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

#18 Pick

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that winning the Super Bowl is really too high a standard to gauge whether a strategy is successful or not. Only 1 out of 32 teams can accomplish that in any given year, and for quite a while, they've largely been monopolized by a handful of teams with high level veteran QBs.

But if you look at the teams that made it to the AFC & NFC title games each season, you'll see a lot of them had a high level runner on the roster that year. Heck, there are a few recent seasons where most of the final four had a guy like that. And if you look at the final eight teams year by year (the top quarter of the league), you'll see teams in the Divisional Round virtually every season with one of the league's best runners.

The point being that having a really good RB absolutely helps you win in today's NFL. I don't see how you can question it. Being blinded by the fact that Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, ect often doesn't play on the same team as one seems a very narrow view.

texanphinatic likes this.
  2. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    I'll tell you why. Najee has the best build to be the next Derrick Henry. You could add weight to his tall stocky frame. And he plays in a similar style. As far as I can tell nobody else is the wrecking ball (with agility) that Najee is, his ceiling is also higher because of the fact that we can add size to him.

The only other back that you could make an argument for is Javonte Williams at 36. (But I wouldn't.) Not when you have the chance to get the next Derrick Henry, and a Next-Gen type TE Pitts (If we are so blessed.) You couldn't ask for a better draft. Then we get two more picks in the 2nd round. This draft has the chance to be explosive or a flop. No pressure Chris.

I'm also ?? About williams because he split carries with a slasher-type back that ended up having more ypc than he did, with a similar amount of touches(Who is Michael Carter?) UNC has a good OL has a powderpuff schedule. Anybody ever consider that? UNC has 2 backs ranked in the top 5 RBs on the board. Strange. Naw, I'm not gonna get greedy. I'm picking Najee at 18. Pitts at 6, then we have a lot of flexibility with our 2nds, we could add Edge, LB, OL, IL, S, who knows.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    M1NDCRlME likes this.
  3. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    I've been pondering the possibility of trading up AND adding at least one mid round pick this year. It's a highly contingent scenario but...

Let's say we're at 6 and Pitts AND a WR1 are still on the board.
    Let's also say Carolina now want to move back in the draft.

If we could package our #18 and a future first round pick (ideally one of our two 2023 picks), then it might be enough capital to gain the #8 pick and a 3rd, 4th or 5th round pick, or two as well. We'd be weighing the future against obtaining talent right now, but we'd be potentially walking away with:

Pitts
    Smith/Waddle
    And additional picks that could turn into RB, S, or IOL.

Losing the 18th pick would likely cost us a pick of one of the RB1 prospects however. But for my money that 18th pick is a pain in terms of value. Moving it up and gaining an elite WR and picks or moving it back and landing more mid round picks is better value than almost anything at 18 - unless a real talent free-falls again.

Maybe Grier is prepping some bong photos to leak on draft night. :D

4. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Just saw Kwity Paye's story on the NFLN. Had no idea. Really, really like him.

Don't know if he'll still be OTB at #18, but I hope we take him if he is.

The Michigan connection can't hurt ;)

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    He really did not live up to his potential at UM, but then few UM players have lately. He's definitely a good fit for the Flores style system though.