1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1994 Toyota 4x4 V6....want to restore.....need advice!!!

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by vt_dolfan, Oct 22, 2011.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Hey guys....I have a 1994 Toyota 4x4 Xtra Cab with 140,000 miles on it. It has some severe rust around the wheel wells back tailgate....etc.

I've never done any type of body restoration work in my life, but...I am mechanically inclined, so Im not afraid to get into it.

Can anyone recommend a guide to work by....or a book? Maybe a particular web site for reference....

Also...

At 140,000 miles.....Ive been told thats not really a ton of miles for a Toyo PU. Other then the body rust, the truck has been very well taken care of.

Im getting ready to do an oil change....and wanted to know if its worth it to switch to something like Royal Purple. Is there a particular oil filter I should use....

Any other tips....advice on my new Toyo would be greatly appreciated.....

Bryan

2. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    With the severe rust that you have, i'd probably pass. Usually when you have a rust bucket you have to grind down and ospho the rusty areas and make sure there isn't a single hint of rust left (it's a big project.) If you're really wanting to restore it, you can buy new fenders and a bed for the truck and have the truck painted. I'd pay particular attention to the undercarriage of the vehicle, if it's rusted heavily it's probably not worth the time and effort because you're fighting a losing battle. As for the motor 140,000 isn't really a ton of miles for that truck, make sure it's not smoking from the tailpipe or making any weird noises. I'd recommend high mileage castrol and use an oil that matches the weather there (the w in oil stands for weather.) Give the motor a tune-up and make sure if it's got a timing belt and not a timing chain that you replace it due to the fact that belts are cheaper than chains and some of those foreign motors can really get messed up if the timing belt breaks. Hope this helps.

3. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Helps a ton.....thanks...

Most of the rust isnt through....but....to assist the diagnosis...Im going to take some really good shots of the rust tomorrow and post them....then u can see if you think its bad

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    If it is just the bed, you can replace it, the problem normally is the rails underneath the bed also will be rusted sometimes severally as the road salt goes there and stays.

If this is DIY, hit up Youtube.

5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    you got a hammer?

6. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    lmeister's mom will help you get the chrome off the trailer hitch. :yes: