1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st two rounds in Draft, what would YOU do??

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Nappy Roots, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    So about a week to go until the draft. All star games, combine, pro days and workouts are over. I tend to change my mind all the way up to when we are on the clock as to what exactly I, myself, want the Dolphins to do with this draft. So it got me thinking. With just over a week left until the draft, this might be fun to look back and see what YOU want to do with our first 2 picks. Please don't say, BPA or BPA @ this position. I want to know what you would do and HOW you would do it.

With that said, as of today, here is what I would do and what I want us to do. Even though its not extremely likely, my scenario includes two trades.

Dolphins trade #8 overall to the Philadelphia Eagles, whom will select Luke Kuechly, for #15 Overall and a 2(#51 overall through the Cardinals). With the #15 overall the Miami Dolphins select Wideout from Baylor Kendall Wright.

Miami then trades up to #35 overall through the Vikings and gets a 5(#138 overall) as well. Dolphins give up a 2(#51 overall), and a 3(#73 overall). Now according to the value chart we gave up slightly a little more then we should have, but Rams and Colts staying put with players on the board they like, it ensures us our QB. We select QB Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma St.

That still leaves us with a 2 #42 and a 3 #72.

With our 2nd 2, #42 overall, I would love for us to take CB Janoris Jenkins, CB Dre Kirkpatrick, OLB/DE Nick Perry. However, I think all three will be gone. That would be my dream scenario though. Instead Miami will opt to help protect Weeden and company and select Tackle from Ohio St Mike Adams. Adams has loads of potential and could start right away at RT.

Im not going to indulge past round 2, as even begining to try and figure out who would be left past round 2 is hard enough. Anyways, this is what I hope and would do.

What is your likely scenario. Again, this is not a DREAM scenario for you, but something that could happen.

Silverphin likes this.
  2. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I got something in mind.

Trade Cam Wake to Packers for #28 pick and #59 pick. Wake is gonna demand a lot of money, and frankly, i doubt he will play up to it. He is also 30.
    Trade Karlos Dansby to Titans for #52 pick. Good player, but too expensive for a rebuilding team.

Draft.
    #8 Luke Kuechly LB
    #28 Coby Fleener TE
    #42 Vinny Curry DE
    #52 Brandon Weeden QB
    #59 Andre Branch DE

3rd and 4th Draft WR, there are plenty.

3. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Wow.

Anyone thinking Weeden is going to last past the 22nd pick is delusional.

MAFishFan and Larryfinfan like this.
  4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Count me as delusional then. :tongue2:

5. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, assuming no trades, my options would be:

1) Take Ryan Tannehill at 8 and hope like hell someone like Upshaw slides or Chandler Jones is still there at 42.

or

2) Take Quinton Coples at 8 and hope like hell Brandon Weeden is still there at 42.

6. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I don't think Weeden will go round one. I think his age alone will keep him out of there. I don't see the Browns selecting a QB that is 3 years older then McCoy who has had only 2 seasons and had very very little help. If he were there in the 2nd round for the Browns, I could see them pulling the trigger, but I don't see #22 as a possibility IMO.

7. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

I personally don't like Chandler Jones. I think hes overrated and hope we would pass on him.

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I would:

1. Arrange a trade up from #42 overall to #21 overall in exchange for our #72 overall and #103 overall picks
    2. Draft DE Quinton Coples #8 overall
    3. Put out some smokescreens trying to convince the Browns we're trying to trade into the late 20's or early 30's
    4. Surprise them with a sudden trade up to #21 where we take QB Brandon Weeden
    5. Trade down from #73 overall to #91 overall in exchange for the #138 and #164 overall picks
    6. Draft WR Ryan Broyles at #91 overall
    7. (to be continued)

azfinfanmang, Phins28, SICK and 2 others like this.
  9. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    First round: Tannehill

Second: Shea McClellan

bran likes this.
  10. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    I believe in Matt Moore
    Having said that...
    1) Melvin Ingram
    2) Reuben Randle or (if he is there somehow) Coby Fleener

11. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    1. Luke Kuechly
    2.Brandon Weeden

12. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    This is what I, personally would do if I was the GM, not what I think we will do.

1.) Trade #8 to Eagles for their 1st and 2nd (or future 1st if they would do it). They want Fletcher Cox and would likely need to jump the Panthers to secure him. They might be inclined to throw in next years 1st since they believe they could make a title run this year.
    2.) At #15 take Ryan Tannehill if he is there, if not take BPA. I'd be happy with any of these guys: Luke Kuechly, David DeCastro, Kendall Wright, Riley Reiff, Quinton Coples (if he falls), Stephan Gilmore, Melvin Ingram
    3.) At #42 Take Brandon Weeden if he is there. Possibly trade the 3rd we picked up in the Marshall trade to move up and get him... Especially if the trade with the Eagles happens. If Weeden is not there take BPA. Any of these guys would work for me: Reuban Randle, Bobby Massie, Kevin Zeitler, Nick Perry, Cody Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Peter Konz, Lavonte David, Chandler Jones, Whitney Mercilus, Shea McClellin, Mychal Kendricks, or Janorice Jenkins.

13. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    If the Bengals were looking to move up ... here is an equal value trade:

Dolphins get: #17 & 21 (1st round) plus swap 2nd round picks. Total value = 1750

Bengals get: #8(1st round) #72(3rd round) plus swap of 2nd round picks = 1740

Then you take Weeden if he is your guy at 17 ... then maybe Kuechly, DeCastro, Barron, Upshaw, or Fleener ... at 21

2nd round you target maybe a WR ... or maybe a tackle like Massie

Would still leave us with one 3rd round pick to chase what ever might slip through the 2nd round cracks

14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Impact players, so much so if we went offense with #8 and #41 I'd have no problem with say Floyd and Fleener if he is there.

I'm not a Coples fan, Kuechly just does not seem like good value for the #8 overall.

I almost wouldn't mind Tannehill at #8, but I'd never trade up for him, we have to many holes as it is and in my view he is a dice roll Qb.

15. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    8. Floyd
    trade 3rd 72,73, and our 2nd next year for #21
    21. Weeden.
    41. Colby fleener if available. If not, Vinny curry
    103. Broyles

16. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Not take a lineman.

17. bdhock

bdhock Old Bricklayer

Mar 12, 2010
    PA
    Your dream draft is one of the most realistic I have seen. I would be happy with it.

18. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Do you guys really think, even if Fleener is there in the 2nd, they take him ?? With the moves they've made so far, I think they will not draft a TE, except perhaps in the later rounds of the draft....

I also don't think that Weeden will there for us unless we trade up, but not convinced he's worth trading up for. I'm not even convinced Tannehill is worth trading up for... However, I have a nightmare that they take Weeden at #8 (assuming Cleveland or takes Tannehill or someone else jumps up there for him) and someone like Massie or Adams at #42...

I could get behind Weeded at #42 or Tannehill at #8, but no trading up for him and trading down is usually a dream scenario, not reality.... It would be part of my nightmare that they trade down to 17-20 to take Weeden and someone KC jumps in there at 12 and takes him...

I'm just not too optimistic about trading because a) trading up usually costs more than what it's worth and trading down is a crap shoot as well, especially if you are targeting a QB...

19. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Theres no chance Fleener gets past Colts at the top of the 2nd. None. But I dont think he will make it out if the first personally

20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree that trading up would probably be too expensive and trading down is usually a fantasy. I do think that Miami would take Fleener if he dropped to our second, but while he may drop that far, it's unlikely. I dont think they are targeting a TE, but he might be a BPA at that point. I also agree that Weeden is unlikely to make I to our second.

21. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    IMO, Fleener will be BPA beginning roughly in the 28-32 range. He'd absolutely be BPA at 42. He just won't be on the board at that pick--and I agree with you that Weeden won't be on the board at that pick either.

As for the OP:

8a. Brandon Weeden; 8b. Ryan Tannehill; 8c. Luke Kuechly.
    42a. Coby Fleener; 42b. Kendall Wright; 42c. Alshon Jeffery.

22. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    Are all those your MockFour moves??

23. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I can't say absolutely at 42, just b/c I don't know who'll drop. I could see a guy like Nick Perry or even a Mark Barron being a surprise drop and either could be my BPA, for example. I see Alshon Jeffrey as a very risky pick. I'm not a fan.

24. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Stranger things have happened in drafts

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Thus far, yes.

But the more James-Michael Johnson falls the more tempted I am to package up some picks and go get him. I have him as my 2nd best ILB in the Draft.

26. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    One thing pops into my head, and it is no fault of Weeden, but it is another QB with a W last name that was late in his 20's when he was drafted. Wienke.

Hard to not draw the comparisons. Both were excellent college QB's. Both could make all the throws on that level. Both had late careers and both are mature beyond the normal NFL rookies level.

But the window of opportunity for both was and is small. The window isn't huge to begin with, but those 4-5 years are HUGE. Can Weeden come in and start now? Can you afford to draft him first and have him sit for a year or two or more? It isn't fair for him to have that thrown on him and hurt his stock, but you can't shut that out either. It exists. I think he can be ver successful in the NFL, but the Weinke thing does worry me and would scare me away from the pick if someone higher on our board is there for that pick.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Weinke wasn't a very good pro quarterback. Go back and watch his games at FSU. I have. The throwing talent just wasn't there. The dedication to fundamentals was. The size was especially there, very big and strong guy. He could move and make things happen off the move, make people miss in the pocket, etc. But the #1 job of a quarterback is to throw an oblong shaped leather object with proper accuracy, velocity, spin and touch into the hands of players on your team, and no matter what the stats say, Weinke just wasn't all that good at it. Ball came off his hands inconsistently, a lot of wobbly ducks, a fair number of bad decisions, only mediocre accuracy at best. The intangibles on Weinke were fantastic. The size was fantastic. The throwing the football thing, you know, the thing that quite literally defines a quarterback, not so much.

dsteve likes this.
  28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree. I don't think Weinke applies as a comparison. The passing talent is just apples and oranges.

29. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Is anyone ok with not drafting a QB this year? We have Gerard Moore and delvin. I ReALLY don't think we are going to draft one, I would love weeden but spending a 1-2 on him ( not saying we couldn't use him) ( or those who argue a franchise qb is worth any pick) we could draft those few remaining pieces on O &D... Just food for thought

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think it would be a shame. To me not drafting a QB this year would be purely a fear thing, much like passing on Mallett at the bottom of the 2nd round last year.

Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to pile bad decisions on top of bad decisions. If you draft Tannehill and you give him some time to learn, then you try and get something out of him and he really sucks, we're talking Blaine Gabbert/John Beck/Brady Quinn suck...then who exactly is preventing you from starting to look for better players? Where is it written in stone that you must be a slave to this guy for four years?

If the Dolphins had drafted Mallett in 2011, they could very well STILL be looking at both Tannehill and Weeden in 2012, and what's wrong with that? Daniel Thomas really that valuable? This team would be nothing if we'd not drafted Daniel Thomas? What's wrong with having multiple talented players at the most important position in the sport?

You see a lot of this idea that we need to beg off at QB this year because of next year, and it becomes the same thing every year. But I don't see why. If you've not got a player at the position then damnit, keep grabbing until you find one. It's THAT important. Everything else you do will matter not a lick until you find a guy at that spot, so even if you're getting good players at other positions it won't matter, they just get wasted.

You've got an opportunity to grab one of two or three pretty talented guys, guys that make a lot of plays, throw the football really well, check off a lot of boxes. Grab one! Stop over thinking it. If he fails, grab another! Stop crying, whining, worrying over it, be a man of action.

ssmiami likes this.
  31. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    If we don't draft a qb and miss the playoffs again we better sell out barkley.

If I had control of the team I'd realize we were rebuilding. I'd try and trade burrnet and dansby for the oppurtunity to get back into the first round and get that MLB from BC. I'd also, depending on what the browns do at 4, draft tanny at 8 or move back as far as possible and still draft him. That's assuming I like tanny after scouting etc because the coaching staff/fireland have more information on him than any of us do. All of these moves are circumstantial depending on the market for dansby/burnett which I'd assume is pretty poor being that dansby has a high cap number and crappy production.

any draft that gets us either weeden/tanny and a blue chip type prospect in the first round would be a success in my mind. trade down for decastro, (prob in front of dallas) and trade back into the first for weeden (depends what the browns do) would also be a win. I'm not as high on coples as everyone else, especially since we've spent so much on our D line already. The fact that we can't generate a pass rush if the fault of our GM. I don't think i would have payed langford or solia and drafted odrick so high. let those high cap number vets go and see we have in odrick. This is the problem I have with our GM moves. You invest in players and don't play them because you've built up so much depth at positions that basically aren't even a strenght for our team while leaving holes everywhere else. Another unpopular move would be to trade wake due to his age and the salary he deserves. When we get good enough to make the playoffs the dude is gonna be too old.

32. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I say we give Matt Moore a year to see what he can do in the WCO and if he doesn't cut it...go all in for a QB next year. Not to mention we got a lot of holes to fill this year while Matt Moore at least has a solid chance of building off what he did last year.
    Also trading down is easier said then done. You usually don't see trades in that 8-10 area.

#8) MICHAEL FLOYD, WR, NOTRE DAME
    #42) BOBBY MASSIE, OT, OLE MISS

With the 2 3rd rounders I would then I would go pass rusher like Curry/Crick if they fall outta round 2 or Crawford or Winn if those 2 don't drop. Then the other 3rd rounder I would take Mohammed Sanu or Ryan Broyles which would give us Floyd/Sanu or Broyles/Hartline/Bess/Gates at WR. Then come back in the 4th round and see if Trenton Robinson at FS dropped or Brandon Hardin.

Then with the 5th/6th/7th take fliers on LB, OL and maybe another raw pass rusher or a developmental QB flier.

33. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I agree that Alshon Jeffery is a risk. This team needs to take more of those.

34. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Perhaps I am off base, but I just see Alshon Jeffrey being another TO type personality and player. Granted, I saw all of one game, but I just have this sneaking suspicion he is a TO clone.

35. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I like Stithces draft. Tannehil at 8 and Chandler Jones at 42. That would be perfect.

36. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    1st: Ryan Tannehill
    2nd: Chandler Jones or Reuben Randle.

Let's not get cute with the super trades. We only end up outsmarting ourselves.

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see him as a smart risk to take. I'd take Sanu, McNutt, Wylie, Broyles and Jones over Jeffrey in a heartbeat.

38. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    I don't get why Ireland doesn't do this, 50% of 1st round QBs fail, so you keep looking until you hit the one, had we picked Mallet last year they would know what he has to offer, instead the team is empty handed without a QB that shows promise, no way will you get a franchise QB in free agency.
    I agree you keep on picking until you find the guy.

39. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My understanding is that many teams had no better than second and third round grades on Mallet.

40. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    In a perfect world Dal or even better NE (yeah I know not gonna happen) would be trade partners when we trade down.
    Then:
    1) Fleener crazy size skills
    1-2 depending on partner) Weeden 3rd best skill set
    2) S Hill amazing size and speed
    3) Chandler Jones DE Need one and he can stand or play up
    3) G Iloka, need to address safety eventually
    4) Steeter ins on Hill as they have similar size with amazing speed (although Streets far less developed)
    5) Wilson QB Wisc great as a Brees like hopeful. His numbers are awesome.
    6-7 who knows but OLB and CB would be good.
    Love the idea of taking shoe in TE as part of the Philbin system along with getting a QB and WR with backup on both!!

Jcouch1021 likes this.