1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2-3 years???

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    So many people have been saying it will take 2-3 years for the Phins to be a super bowl contender. I say..."WTF"? Come on...2012? This whole process started at the end of 2007. 2012 will be 5 years later. 5 years just to become a super bowl contender? no way, I think it will come as early as 2010.

We're one game out of the wild card with the 30th(or 31st?) Ranked passing offense. A large part is due to our strong running game. Imagine if we had say the 15th or 16th ranked passing game? That would bump us up A LOT and we would have more W's.

And look at this. 2001 Panthers-1 win. 2003 Panthers-Super Bowl appearance.
    2000 Patriots-5 wins, last place, 2001 Pats-Super Bowl champs. 2003 steelers-6 wins, 2005 steelers-super bowl champs. Think of all the wild card teams that made the super bowl, even the 9-win Cardinals.

It's not like things can't turn around with some changes, like a great #1 WR and an improved matured D. If it takes us 3 MORE years to at least make it to the AFC Championship game I'll cry. That's been since 1992. Only the Bengals, Browns, Redskins and Lions have had to wait longer. And the Bengals might make it this year. For a franchise that's had as many winning seasons and playoff appearances as we've had since then it's a little ridiculous. So...2010 it is! [I hope]

2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Were one of the youngest teams in the league, who are about to get younger, we have a first year QB gaining valuable exp...were in year 2 of a 4 year plan, i think were on pace. maybe ahead, if we execute an aggressive offseason plan.

3. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    We've done well but IMO we need to do better if we're gonna see a SB in the next couple years.

For example WR......it's no surprise we find ourselves in this fix given the half assed way we've addressed the position. Wilford and two mid round draft picks on more complimentary receivers? That's just not going to cut it.

4. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Well not if we keep wasting 2 rounders on scrub QB's.

Coral Reefer and jetssuck like this.
  5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Iam not counting out the kid like that, he deserves the time every other mother grabber gets.

6. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    I don't understand the whole "3 year plan" in the NFL. Ask any team's fans when they will contend, they will say 3 years.

You cite a couple of teams that improved drastically over 3 years, but there are dozens of teams that never have achieved the 3 year success plan.

The fact of the matter is have faith, it will probably take more then 3-4 years but lets enjoy the ride. We have a incredibly young team and lets build for a run that will last years, not fizzle out after one.

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "Imagine if we had the 16th ranked passing attack!"

:lol:

Sometimes I believe there is a large gap in Football IQ perhaps "if" we weren't:

29th in scoring defense
    25th in pass defense
    32nd in points allowed in the 4th qtr

Then maybe we could think about being a contender consistently for the AFCE Crown and a threat for the AFC Championship Game and Super Bowl, Wr are the least of our issues, we need some defensive help and changes on the staff in the worst way.

8. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    Mark my words....we have a good running game right now because of Ricky and our passing game is weak. A couple years down the road, our passing game will be strong but our running game will be weak and the same story for the Fins will continue its motto, "we're in the rebuilding process".

9. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Wow, I have never seen such pessimistic posts in my time here.

We held our own with two undefeated teams for a good part of the game, and if we won those games, we're 7-4 instead of 5-6, huge difference.

Our list of things that seriously need to be overhauled to bring us up to snuff is not that huge. ILB for sure, a WR for sure, and what? There's nothing else that has been a glaring issue this year outside of maybe some Safety play, but that's started to come together.

If you think we're not going to contend next year, or the year after, go root for the Jags or something and sell me your Jersey(s).

This Franchise is in probably the best shape it's been in since Marino left if you ask me. We've got a strong leadership team that knows how to bring in talent, and we've got a lot of bright spots on the offense, and a couple on the defense. The fact that we're so banged up, and still 5-6 is honestly a pretty big deal.

Now wipe the tears from your eyes please, we as a fanbase have more grit than that.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  10. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Well said. :hi5:

11. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Soooooo, you aren't giving any credit rto Ronnie Brown or the brutes up front?
    I just wanna clarify this for arguements sake.

I agree with Padre!!!!
    We do need one top-Notch WR but then better get MUCH better on defense and quickly!!!!
    With the exception of our first game, we have been scoring plenty of points.....yet, our record is what it is :pity:

adamprez2003 and The Rev like this.
  12. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

You've been harping for a long time about the need for a middle linebacker and I'm on the bandwagon. front and center. But, we need a playmaker, Kenny; in FA or draft.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  13. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Our defense is bad in some areas but that is a little easier to fix. If we had a middle of the pack Passing game instead of one of the worst one in the league we would have at least beaten the Bills, Saints or Colts. probably two of those games. Why? We didnt have a big play. As shaky as the Defense has been those games were still pretty close. When you give the Saints the ball at midfield because your passing it when the clock is running out you're just asking for trouble. And then they score, why? Because of their passing game.

The Patriots D isn't that great either, it may be weaker then ours in some areas. But their passing game is obviously great and that is what sets them apart from us. I'm not worried about the Defense as much, they're young and promising. When is the last time the Dolphins had a solid passing offense? First it was no star/promising QB's after Marino. Then when we finally got a QB in 2008 we had no star WR and still don't. Our defense looks more promising, and I trust our FO to find defenders more then I do at finding WR's.

If you could choose one player to be on this Dolphins team right now which would you choose: Randy Moss to boost the Offense or Darren Sharper to boost the Defense? I'd take Moss.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    maybe over darren sharper, but not over ray lewis.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  15. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    Thats a tough call because at times, the line has showed flashes of greatness but at the same, at times they're pretty bad.
    What credit?? Im done going back and forth with you about Ricky and Ronnie. Ronnie has only finished ONE season in his 5-year NFL career. Ronnie Brown has only broken the 1,000 yard rushing mark once in his 5 years. I dont live off potential but rather factual performance. So no, no credit for Ronnie from me.

16. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Not so sure about that. Only if Henne isn't the guy.

17. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    But we didn't win, did we. Enough with the "IF's".
    This is the NFL if you didnt know, "holding our own for a good part of the game" means nothing and cant believe you actually posted that. The NFL isn't about moral victories.
    By posting this statement, you are admitting then that last year was a fluke.
    "So banged up"? Who have we lost? Ronnie? Ricky more than filled those shoes. Will Allen? He gives us so many big plays anyway. Jake Grove? Couple of games only. J FERG wasnt injured all 11 games and we still weren't winning. So who's really banged up? Enough with the moral victories because its lame.

18. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Even if Henne isn't the guy it was a bad choice.

Regardless of who wants to buy the smoke screen the Phins have thrown out there that Pat White was "drafted to be a FT QB prospect" or not I'll stick to my guns and say he was in no way drafted as a legit F/T QB prospect.

Again, it was a pick to expand upon the wildcat and no more.
    A 2nd round pick that at best would see the field maybe 25% of all plays from scrimmage during a game?

We had MANY NEEDS we could have filled at that spot yet we took a flier on a kid that's a major project and dosen't have a true position.

I won't say that pick didn't really make me worry for the first time about the leadership group and their ability to stick to their plan. The Roth cut is the second thing that has eroded away at the strength of my confidence in them.

jetssuck likes this.
  19. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    "What if we had....."

Bud any team can say those types of things.
    What if I made $1 million dollars a year. LOL.

The NFL, with it's salary cap, is a challenge to build a team.
    This team drafted HORRIFICLY for near a decade.
    It's not easy to overcome years of talent deficits on a roster.
    They are making progress but if you look at this roster it still has major question marks at important positions.

Were not done building and success is not guaranteed by any means.
    It will take more good drafting, a lot of luck and key FA pickups to get us there.

Things could all come together next year or we really could continue to flounder for years.

There's no negativity here just a pure flat out helping of truth.

20. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    You better add nose tackle to the list.I was at the game and our nose got manhandled by a very soft offensive line.The 3-4 does not work without a stud in the middle.

21. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    people can call me crazy but i think we're a super bowl contender next year but we'll see.

22. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    While I'll agree that the defense has some gaping holes........WR is FAR from the "least of our issues"

23. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    With the team we have right now you're willing to say that?

With the unknown progression and full potential of Henne who is still true question mark at what is arguably the most important position on the field?

Without a really solid healthy NT which a 3-4 depends on?
    Without just about any ILB talent?
    With 2 rookie CB's still needing to prove themselves
    With weakness at the Safety position?
    With the aging Vets on the outside in Porter and Taylor and again unproven talent behind them to develop a consistent pass rush?
    Without a true #1 WR on the team?
    With the health issues of Ronnie Brown?
    With the question marks with our interior OL?
    With the lack of a true playmaker at TE to help out the pass offense?

Seriously, are you really ready to honestly say you think were a Super Bowl contender next year without seeing how all this is addressed in the offseason?

djphinfan, BuckeyeKing and jetssuck like this.
  24. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    The Patriots are 7th in the nfl in points allowed per game
    We are #26 in the same...SORRY BUT THE PATRIOTS HAVE A MUCH BETTER DEFENSE THAN WE HAVE

tHE ONLY TEAMS WHO HAVE ALLOWED MORE POINTS THAN US ARE
    TITANS...5-6
    KC..........3-8
    DETROIT..2-9
    TAMPA.....1-10
    CLEVELAND.1-10
    ST LOUIS...1-10...SO 25 TEAMS HAVE ALLOWED LESS POINTS THAN OUR TEAM

You might want to reconsider when comparing our defense to New Englands and 24 other teams

25. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Oh yeah, I completely agree Raul.
    One legit stud WR and all the rest of our guys instantly get better.
    After we get that one guy we concentrate Heavily on Defense, and really the middle of it.

26. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Love the optimism but I don't see it with the players we have on the roster.

27. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    "The Long And Winding Road" is over. We got our "Help" in Tuna. I "Imagine" a "Magical Mystery Tour" next season. We no longer have a "Fool On The Hill."

Looking forward to a "Twist And Shout" in 2010. Well, at least the SHOUTING part. LOL.

Dolphins1Beatles likes this.
  28. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I know this, I didn't say overall, but their D isn't THAT great and can be exposed. Like if we had a passing attack, which was the original point-That our passing game is the biggest flaw on the team. Our FO built a solid O-Line, no doubt that the D will catch up next season. It's the passing game I'm worried about, they haven't done much with it yet, haven't shown why it will be any different either. The D will at least be more mature, and I'm confident they will get the right pieces for it.

29. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

The three year plan is based on the idea that champions are built primarily from within: drafting and developing your nexus of talent. Free agents just fill a few holes.

This has been borne out by the rosters of the vast majority of Superbowl Winners.

ANd by the Washington Redskins, ownerd by Daniel Snyder.

It's not so much about an arbitrary number (3 or 5) as how many drafts it takes and how long that talent takes to mature into great players in the NFL.

30. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Personally, I think we'll be Superbowl caliber by 2011. By late next year we'll be close enough to make a run into the playoffs. I'd consider making the second round of the playoffs in 2010 a good sign.

31. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Can we get a couple of 10 win seasons before we talk about superbowls?