1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 AL CY Young winner - Cliff Lee

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Higgi, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Higgi

Higgi Numb

Aug 8, 2008
    TUC, AZ
    Cleveland's Cliff Lee is no surprise for winning the award. Good for him considering that he was sent down a season prior to this.

link

I think its good that both the Cy Young winners came from teams that didn't do so well this year. Gives their fans something to cheer about, plus just imagine how bad (record wise) the teams would of been without them.

2. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Nice to see Frankie come in 3rd and even Santana got a vote.

3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Lee deserved it. I'm glad Halladay got 2nd place, as he was the 2nd best pitcher in the AL this year.

I was shocked to see Matsuzaka get 10 votes while Lester who was the better pitching all year get 0. Just goes to show you the votes love those win/loss records and don't actually watch these guys pitch day in and day out.

4. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Totally agree Finkle. Sometimes I feel like you can win 22 games with a 5 era and have a better shot at a Cy Young then a guy who wins 21 with a 3 era.

Lee certainly deserved it. Best 25th round draft pick I ever had for fantasy baseball. :ffic:

5. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Hey best example is 2005 when Colon won because he had 21 wins while Santana had only 16 wins but had almost a run and a half better ERA and I believe almost 100 more strike outs.

For the most part these awards are jokes because these writers are a bunch of hacks and really don't know the game well enough. I really think voting should be by the players, coaches, scouts and FOs. Just like I feel the HOF players should vote for new HOFers and not sports writers.