2008 Mets!!! LETS GO METS!!!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by NJFINSFAN1, Mar 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Another good win, but not getting to excited yet, need to beat some better teams.

2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Nelson Figueroa should have a spot somewhere on this staff. thats 13 IP and 2 er. If he and Pelfrey keep going like this we're in business.

Beltran out agan tonight with a stiff neck. JRoll out for Philly to attend a funeral, may be out all weekend with the ankle injury.

Santana vs Hamels tonight. Should be good.

3. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

I'm not going to get too excited about Figueroa. It's a fine start, and a nice story, but 33 (soon to be 34) year olds who've been AAAA players with five different organizations tend not to turn into Cy Young all of a sudden. If he can fill the 5th starter role, and keep the Mets in the game on a regular basis, I'll be thrilled. But regression to the mean tells me he's going to turn into Jose Lima II sooner than later. Well, maybe not THAT bad, but you get the idea.

Now, I will say that the Omar Minaya regime has had an almost jaw-dropping level of success with getting good seasons out of retreads (Lima aside). (Pat Mahomes, Darren Oliver, Jose Valentin, and most impressively, Oliver Perez) So Figueroa's got that going for him....which is nice.

Pelfrey, on the other hand, I'm getting excited about. He's showing the kind of stuff we all thought he was capable of. There's no reason he can't solidify a spot in this rotation, and not just be a run of the mill #4 or 5 starter. He's got the stuff to make the Mets rotation absolutely deadly. Santana, Maine, Perez, and Pelfrey pitching literally half as well as he's doing now (his ERA+ is a SICK 257; even chopping that in half is a very impressive 129) should be one of the best rotations in the NL. Pedro, El Duque and an over-his-head Figueroa taking up the other spot should be just fine.

Here's what's bothering me: all these people (mostly Philly apologists) talking up the Mets-Phillies rivalry like it's the Michigan-Ohio State version of baseball. Have I missed something over the last...oh, dozen years or so, or are the Braves and Yankees the Mets' biggest rivals? I mean, the Phillies are a distant third in my book, and they only passed the Marlins because of last year. Aside from 2007, there's just about NO history here. The Phillies have stunk out loud for the vast majority of their existence. And on the rare occasions they've been good...the Mets haven't. The other thing is, whenever the Mets have played in Philly, the crowd has had a HUGE number of Met fans, to the point that when the Mets have been winning big, you can hear a "Let's Go Mets!" chant late in the game. Except for the last series of the season last year. Then, suddenly, the Phillies, who've been at best the third sons of the city over the years (and sometimes less than that if the Flyers are good or Big Five hoops is rocking), were suddenly the talk of the town, and about half a million people turned an ankle leaping on a speeding bandwagon. Bottom line: Philly TALKS a good game. That's it.

Anyway, great game last night by Santana. Even better game by David Wright. Would have been nice if SNY had shown the damn thing. Oh, and Heilman gave up another big home run. What a shock.

finswin56 likes this.
  4. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    The Braves are still the team I fear the most, not the Phills.

Santana was great last night (#$@%#@ Heilman). And Wright is making a statement that the MVP goes through him, not Utley.

5. phunwin

Well, Heilman certainly redeemed himself today. TWO strikeouts after coming into the game with the bases loaded. Of course, he gave up a single first, but I'm not going to hold that against him. If you come into the game with the bases loaded and one out, and only give up one run and strand three, I'll take that 9 times out of 10.

6. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    The Standings FINALLY look right again.:)

7. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I just wish Ollie could go 7 innings! :(

8. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    I just still can't get used to Baseball these days where you need to use 5 relievers to get the final six outs night after night. It the Tony LaRussa syndrome of overmanaging. The game has turned to specified...I feel it takes so much away from the game.

9. phunwin

Boy, I don't know about that, I think Perez came out at the right time. His tank was squarely on E, and when the Phils brought in Rollins to pinch hit, especially after that week-long at bat by Bruntlett, it only made sense to use Sanchez. I wouldn't trust Schoenschiesse in that situation...actually, I wouldn't trust Schoenschiesse with anything short of a 5 run lead, but that's besides the point. Anyway, Sanchez needed a big test to continue getting his mojo back, and he passed. I really would like to see him working the 8th, since I don't trust Heilman at all right now, though he certainly did well for himself today.

10. phunwin

Maybe he would have if Bruntlett hadn't had that, what, 15 pitch at bat? Once Ollie lost him, his concentration was shot, and he had 108 pitches in. I think he could have pitched through the 7th if Bruntlett hadn't drawn the toughest walk I've ever seen.

11. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    I am agreeing with you that Perez was done..nice to see Sanchez working his way back into our finishing tandem.. I am just saying you used Sanchez,,Schoenweiss..Smith..Feliciano..Heilman...and Wagner to get 10 outs. ...and Wagner got 3 by himself. Baseball has just changed so much.

12. phunwin

Oh, OK. Yeah, I know what you mean. I've never been a huge fan of the way Willie manages the bullpen, though I do think he handled it fairly well today. The days of the complete game, however, are fading rapidly, and I doubt they're coming back.

One thing I wish more managers would do is avoid being mesmerized by the save statistic. For example, with the bases loaded and 1 out in the 8th inning, why not bring in Wagner? I mean, he's the best pitcher in the bullpen, right? Why wouldn't you want him getting those 2 outs, since the game's very much on the line?

13. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    yeah, but Ollie goes 3-2 on way to many batters. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but way to many 3-2 counts.

14. phunwin

No argument there. His concentration lapses from time to time, which may or may not play into that. When he lost Bruntlett, you could tell he was just mentally whipped. That's just part of the deal with him, I think. Just like how we have to accept that one of every five starts or so is going to be an absolute stinkbomb.

15. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    I agree. If you have the confidence in these guys to close out a game...what is one more out. Yet they fall in love with the righty/righty things or lefty/lefty thing. These days...you get six out of a starter...its a great outing..then throw the kitchen sink out there for the last 9 outs. Just a different ballgame today.

16. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Bold 1: Rick Reed. Nuff said. Dude wasnt even in baseball for like 5 years before coming out of nowhere. Figueroa can pitch in the bigs at the very least I watch and hes a serviceavle reliever. Hes 32 now going on 33 :)

As far as philly I agree. They talk like theyre good, but the truth doesnt lie...1 world series in 110 years + :hi5:

Yanks and Braves definitely rank higher on my rivalry list. Braves at least I respect them., even though I hate them.

17. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I agree. Its time to package him with delgado for a 1B who can actually hit. Our bats are pathetic aside from wright reyes and church. Get something for Ollie while his value is high. Johan, Maine, Pelfrey, Pedro, Duque/Figueroa looks fine to me.

By the way, anyone wanna assume Luis Castillos contract? Why is there always a player or two who I completely cant stand? Him and Schoen**** are those guys right now.

18. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Well with certain closers its different. Wagner and some others are strictly power pitchers. Their velocity decreases as they have to throw more pitches. And with fewer pitches they can throw, as most relievers typically dont throw more then 3 different ones with good command, hitters get used to what youre throwing faster.

I cant stand overmanaging though and I agree with the points on that. I happen to think Mike Marshall has it right and if you build up the arm strength the right way your sp's will be able to go longer in games.

19. phunwin

I've got Figueroa's Bday as 5/18/74. Anyway, in 74 big league games (261 innings) over five seasons, the guy's got a career 4.65 ERA and 1.42 WHIP, with a 1.47 K to BB ratio. In 1379 minor league innings, he's got a 3.47 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and a 2.79 K/BB ratio. That's the textbook definition of a AAAA player; good at AAA, not good enough to make the pros in any regular or meaningful fashion. For every Rick Reed, there are 10 forgettable guys who have a nice game or two, then go back to getting beaten like a rented mule. The odds are strong that Figueroa is more like the latter than the former.

I HATED that contract when the Mets signed it. 4 years for a guy whose body is 32, going on 40, whose defense was vastly overrated. We should have been happy with the good stuff we got from him last year and let him go, and kept Gotay instead, using the money elsewhere. He hasn't quite entered the Schoeneschiesse Zone yet, but he's getting there.

As for Perez, I wouldn't trade him. Not for a 1B anyway. His inconsistency isn't my favorite thing in the world, and like I said, you have to count on one of every five starts being a stinker, but when he's on, he's ON. And that's two or three of those five starts. (The fourth is usually a 6 inning, 3 run sort of effort) The starting pitching on this team is good, but not so good that I think we can be sending away our third best starter. I refuse to count on Figueroa, Pedro and El Duque to fill significant roles at the top of the rotation.

What they should do is start platooning Delgado. They won't, of course, because Willie Randolph understands sabermetrics about as much as I understand Russian. I think he can still mash right handed pitching, but he needs a sub against lefties. And this irritates me. Randolph is more than willing to play matchups when it comes to late inning pitching, but when it comes to batting, God forbid! I mean, aren't runs in innings 1 through 6 important too? Why wouldn't you try to get as many runs as possible in those innings? But no, we're going to watch Delgado flail away helplessly at Cole Hamels fastballs and leave a small village on the basepaths.

I would think a righty-hitting 1B could be found cheaply. Hell, I'd use Damion Easley there if need be. Easley can hit left handed pitching fairly well. Or give Moises Alou some time there when he gets healthy. Angel Pagan has earned some time in LF, after all.

Well, what I was thinking was not necessarily that I'd let Wagner go 2 innings. He's been working a fair amount lately, so I don't know that I'd do that. Rather, what I meant was that I'd have used him in the 8th, and not necessarily in the classic "save situation".

20. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Does anyone hit the ball harder than Ryan Church??? So far this kid has been a steal!

21. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    I love how he plays...the way he hustles and plays hard. What happened to him not being able to hit lefties talk?

22. phunwin

Well, so far, it seems the Mets have gotten the better end of that trade. I still think we're going to regret it at some point, but Church has been smoking the ball, and Schneider has played quite well too.

The "he can't hit lefties" talk made no sense to begin with. His career OPS against lefties was 760, which isn't bad at all. And that was deflated significantly by a poor 2007 (655 OPS).

23. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    PS

Alou should be back by the end of the week.

24. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    anyone else impressed with his speed and the ground he covers in the outfield? He gets to balls that would've landed 30 feet outside of S. Green's reach

25. NyPhinfan

Dec 21, 2007
    Exaxctly!.I am so impressed by his range in the outfield.

26. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Eh could be right on figgy's age but I was going by what the announcer has said over the last 2 starts so I have to assume they have a source on that. Youre right some guys just have the good start or two but occasionally you find one that just figured it out.

Eh I was no bigger a fan of a guy who cant play D or hit lefties. They both suck. I kinda wanted a trade for roberts.

Regarding Perez im on the sell high bandwagon. Hes high maintenance, throws too many pitches/doesn't get out of the 6th inning, and due or at least going to ask for a big contract years end in the neighborhood of 5/75. Are you willing to give that kind of money to a good pitcher who isnt an ace and who constantly prodded? I would hate it as much as the castillo contract. Without Peterson Im convinced hes back where he started. he still hasn't consistently changed his arm angle which is what caused him problems in the first place.

As far as Delgado, I watch him and he has no power anymore. Id rather not be in a platoon situation at a power position you need production from. Someone will be willing to dump a contract or a free agent they wont sign. Hes shown no power to the opposite field so if teams keep shifting him youre going to have a singles hitter hitting in the low-mid 200's. Not good.

Wagner's already taking tonight off because he feels "overworked". Hes never been a guy who could go and get a 2 inning save. Hes a baby basically. I cant wait until Kunz is ready then wags can be what he really is now, an expensive set up guy. :wink2:

27. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    That was BS from the get go. In the past he was a respectable 255-260ish against lefties. It was just last year he struggled really. :wink2:

28. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    So, he'll be hurt again when? A week from monday is my bet.

29. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    hey! Its not everyday beltran gets a hit with risp! Of course its only the 6th inning not the 9th. At least he runs the bases well (knew how deep they were playing on a bloop single from church to score a run.)

And on the point regarding church...He does have 1b experience. Im thinking a line up of:
    Reyes
    Castillo
    Wright
    Beltran
    Church(1B)
    Alou (LF)
    Pagan (RF)
    Schneider

instead of delgado in that 5 slot with his 200 batting average.

30. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I like it. This Delgado thing is far beyond slump. You don't slump for 180 games in a row.

31. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Ya just dont hold your breath. Willie rides his vets til theyre done; which clearly delgado seems to be, hes just too dumb or stubborn to realize it right now. Maybe one way to do this is to use church at 1b and then find a RF who can hit for power? Maybe a Jermaine Dye if the chi sox fall out or Bay when the pirates fall out of it?

32. phunwin

You've got a point there. I still wouldn't deal him, not when our pitching staff has too many question marks as is, but I definitely see the logic of your point.

Well, think about it this way: Delgado SHOULD mash righties, even if he's helpless against LHP, and in any event, we're not going to be able to move his contract anyway. So we might as well use the tools we've got and platoon him. As for the shift, that's been going on his whole career. I don't see any reason to worry about it now; he's NEVER hit to the opposite field.

33. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Yea four or five years ago the shift wouldnt have been an issue with Delgado but now it is because hes not hitting the ball 450 feet anymore. Its more like 40 feet. I happen to like him but hes in a contract year which means if someone else has a contract they wanted to move to reduce payroll and get first dibs at resigning Perez there could be a legit package there where team x could say theyre competing for this year. No one in particular comes to mind but we NEED another middle of the order bat at least imo.

34. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Randolph will not bench Delgado, he is to thick headed, just like putting Castillio back in the #2 spot! He should be batting 8th with Church in the 2 hole.

PS

Carp at AA is killing the ball and batting over 400.

35. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Ya keep praying he keeps that up. Two years ago at age 19 he did post better stats then Wright did at the same age. He has to be more consistent vs LHP and continue to drive the ball the way hes been. His peripheral numbers from 2 years ago show how good he can be but at times he makes me wonder how good he could be. Have to wonder how much injuries have hampered his developement. Jacobs was similar and still has the same problems he did at times in the minors.

36. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Delgado is just killing us at the plate and in the field, KILLING US!!!!!!

37. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Santana and Redding tonight...should be good.

38. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    ya we can use a nice 9-1 type bashing of a crap team :)

I dont know what the hell that was the last 2 days in chicago but it sure wasnt good baseball. :angry:

39. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Santana was good, Beltran is starting to warm up, Church keeps hitting the ball hard and Delgado keeps sinking.

Boik14 likes this.
  40. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Marlins fan. Not here to talk trash, actually have an interesting question.

During our game tonight they flashed the home run totals for the NL East, and going into tonight I believe you guys had only hit ten and were ranking 26th overall in that category. In a way that's almost good news, not relying on the longball and still winning games. I was just wondering however, if you expect low power numbers this season or if this is just a power slump so far?