2008 Mets!!! LETS GO METS!!!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by NJFINSFAN1, Mar 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    At least Delgado was batting 6th. In Willie's world, that's like a real manager benching him.

2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I expect it. The only guys in this lineup with significant pop (i.e. 30 hr power) are Wright and Beltran. Alou, church, and if he ever wakes up Delgado, could hit between 15-25 apiece. Alou would depend on playing time mostly cause hes going to hit. Church and Delgado Im not sure how good their power is at this points in this point in their careers. Reyes, Castillo, Pagan, and Schneider are non factors in the homer stat.

Personally I dont mind not having a ton of power if you have a lot of high average hitters and gap hitters which we dont. Thats one of the reasons I advocated moving Church to 1B and keeping pagan in the lineup if Delgado keeps this crap up. Id rather have Church hitting say 280/15hr/80 rbi at 1b and Pagan hitting 300+ and stealing some bases , playing great D then Delgado's 210 BA and Rob Deer hr threat type act.

3. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    willie needs to go Jim Leyland on him. i dont understand why he will admonish Reyes and Perez and he wont do it to Cerano, err Delgado.

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Power definitely isn't everything I agree. It's just that when (unless you have time to follow every team closely) you think of the Mets for some reason power comes to mind, whether it be doubles or homers or whatever.

The stat just got me interested when I saw you had only hit 10 to our 32 and the Phils 34.

5. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    actually I would take a team that can play excellent situational baseball (i.e. hit with risp, move runners over, etc) then one based on power. If anything teams that hit for power will K a lot which the mets do anyway. Teams that hit for contact should, at least in theory have productive outs, a higher BA, and more timely hitting. So frankly if we finish dead last in Hrs but score 5+ runs a game then we're going to win a lot of games.

The problem is Delgado is a black hole, Reyes has just been useless some days, Castillo is useless everyday, and Schneider, well we knew what he was when we got him. Alou will help a team thats destitute for offense but he wont cure the HR problems.

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Well in theory a team with a 1000. OBP will score an infinite amount of runs while a team with a 1000 slugging percentage will not. So a point of OBP has much more value.

However having power isn't a bad thing either. Do you think you guys CAN score 5+ runs a game?

7. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I expect lower numbers, Wright and Beltran will hit 30 plus each, but after that I don't think we have a guy that will have over 20.

Alex44 likes this.
  8. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

What Willie would say is, He's my guy!

Randolph has no clue to the pulse of this team, I have said from day one when he was hired, we win despite him.

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    It's just the way the media makes it seem I guess. 'The mighty Mets' type thing and all that.

Good luck the rest of the way. Long season to go.

10. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    hey look everyone! A Carlos Delgado sighting! Hes emerged from his black hole for a day with 2 homers...

Figueroa with another respectable outing and a W.

Not all good news though....Alou may have a hairline ankle fracture. We really need another quality bat so the need for him to get back soon is obvious.

finswin56 likes this.
  11. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    And now all the radio jockeys are killing Delgado for not coming out for the standing ovation.
    I don't blame Delgado.

12. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I really don't get why this is such a big deal. So Delgado didn't come out for a curtain call, who cares? I actually don't blame him for not coming out, the fans have been brutual towards him (whether fair or not). It was a nice way for him to make a statement.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  13. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    There is no way I would have gone out for that curtain call.

That said, isn't this a very similar situation to last year (or was it '06) when Delgado had to shove Beltran out of the dugout for a curtain call? At the time, Beltran was being killed by the fans, and didn't want to come out.

14. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Mets fans are morons. That's why it's a big deal.

15. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Exactly. This is no different. Beltran was slumping horribly at that time with ground ball after ground ball to second base.

The only thing I can say in Delgado defense is that while NY is not St Louis or Milwakee where the home team never gets boo'ed the fans have been really vicious on him. I mean hes been bad but not Andruw Jones bad. :pointlol:

finswin56 likes this.
  16. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    It was Franco who made Beltran go out, not Delgado.

finswin56 likes this.
  17. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Ah, yes it was. Thanks :hi5:
    Now I don't feel like he's being a hypocrite.

18. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Good news, alou back friday.

Freakin reyes nearly cost us the game with his 5th error tonight.

GW hit for D Wright...is there ANYONE else you'd want up in a situation with the game on the line?

19. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Just watching the first inning and 1/3rd Ollie Perez is once again showing why hes the most aggrevating pitcher in baseball. 4 walks in 8 batters, 2 k's.

His head is way out in front of his arm so his arm is dragging leaving every pitch high and outside or low and outside.

20. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Perez has no guts, he sulks and gets mad all the time. Stop trowing the dam slider and challenge the batter for once! Gutless!

Darling was 100% correct about his head, its the first thing I teach my pitchers. But throw a dam fastball!

21. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Well there goes Ollie. 1 and 2/3rds 5BB 1H 6 ER 7R

Thank goodness Figueroa was skipped maybe he can give us 5-6 solid relief innings. He inherits 2nd and 3rd/2 out.

22. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Willie says, Well Ollie didn't have his stuff today.

HEY WILLIE, NO KIDDING. SHOW SOME DAM FIRE WOULD YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

6 earned runs in less than 2 innings? Whooaaa that's gonna leave a mark on the Bullpen...

24. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

It was 2 earned runs, there were a few errors when everyone fell asleep behind him because he went 3-2 on everyone.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  25. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Wagner calls out Ollie:

“You’ve got to have that willpower and that desire to go back out there and fight,” Wagner said about responding to the Mets’ early deficit. “This guy (Pirates starter Tom Gorzelanny), he wasn’t throwing the ball that well to shut down our offense. Perez has honestly got to step up and know that we’ve just used every guy in our bullpen the night before. He can’t come out there and decide that gee, he hasn’t got it today, and so be it.”

Wagner added: “When you have games like this, it’s very easy to say, ‘Hey, yeah, you’re going to have these games.’ And you will have these games. But when there’s not a lot of effort and desire, that’s when you worry. You definitely want to play a little bit better than we did, but I know everybody is out there doing what they can. As a pitching staff, we have to show up. We can’t go out there and get beat 13-1 by Pittsburgh.”

I have no problem with what wagner said. If its hurts ollie's feelings so be it; it hurt my eyes to watch him pitch so man up and pitch like you want a contract next year.

26. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Only 1 error while Ollie was in. He lulled everyone to sleep and then the official scorer was very generous. :pity:

27. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I wish it was Randolph that ripped the team, yet its Wagner everytime. Randolph has no balls!

finswin56 and Boik14 like this.
  28. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Can we leave church in the 2 slot now willie?

6-0

Church 10/25 = 400ba
    reyes 14/28 = 500ba

Those are their batting averages with church in the 2 slot. Pretty telling.

Good to see wright snap that 4-33 and to have alou back....

finswin56 likes this.
  29. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

Well, I'm in favor of leaving Church in the two hole, but the idea that it will actually help the guy in front of him is more psychological than statistically proven. If Reyes feels better and more confident with Church behind him, great. But statistically, it doesn't make a big difference who's behind you in the lineup.

I'm in favor of leaving Church in the two hole because he's a better hitter than Castillo or any other option for that spot, so it makes more sense to give him more at-bats. That's all.

30. phunwin

Oh, and that "sell high" theory on Perez might have been right, Boik.

Boik14 likes this.
  31. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Good win last night, but it means nothing if we don't come out and play well tonight. Maine is the alter image of Perez, no emotion and just guts it out, this kid did not have his good stuff yet still got it done against the best team in baseball, Maine can be a special pitcher in this league.

finswin56 likes this.
  32. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Good game last night.
    The Mets embarrased the D-backs..in Phoenix.

Brett Maine KILLS us again, and Micah Owings gives up 3 in the first Inning.

You guys get to see Brandon Webb in a daytime game. His stuff is PHILTHY at night, might really wanna watch the movement when the air is warmer and heavier :wink2:

Good luck Mets fans :up:

33. phunwin

I don't know who that guy is, but we've got a pitcher named John Maine who did a fine job. :up:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  34. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Well it does affect the pitches you see if th guy behind you can actually hit the ball out of the infield. Castillo cant freakin hit a ball past second base...it certainly doesnt present the same threat Church does.

Im already at the point where I think Castillo is a waste of human flesh at 2b.

35. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    we usually kill you guys in phoenix. Including your win today we're 13 of 15 in the desert and 109 runs scored over the last 14 in zona. :wink2:

Yohan vs Haren tomorrow, should be good :hi5:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  36. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

You know what, I can live with Yohan (Isnt it actually Johan?), vs Haren

Yep, the Mets as well as "most" NE teams OWN the D-backs. The one expception...the skanks...and that is something I can live with.

BTW: WTF is the deal with your pitchers freaking mouthpiece? Reminds me of this kid

http://www.jibjab.com/view/110330

Boik14 likes this.
  37. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Yeah its Johan, I just like spelling it Yo han :)

Pelfrey always has used a mouthpiece apparently prior to HS. He's said in regards to it he ws constantly biting down on his tongue. :wink2:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  38. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

Also, in regards to your "Rule" in the Desert. This years team is something VERY special. I watched the Pennant year, and it was pretty amazing, but truth is the FO brought in a couple of the absolute BEST Aces at the time (Johnson and Schilling) and had pretty good cast around them.

This year, we are looking at serious super-stars at every single position, but the difference is none of them have been in the league more years than you have on your hand.
    Throw in Brandon Webb and Danny Haren, and things could be very interesting for the D-backs the rest of the way..

ALl that being said, I probably just jinxed them for the month...:shifty:

Boik14 likes this.
  39. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Oh theres no question your dbacks are good, real good this year and for the foreseeable future. Jackson and Reynolds have some pop at the corners, Byrnes, Hudson and Drew are th types of steady players you need, and Young and Upton have uber-stud upside. No questions about webb and haren either.

But like any other teams 3rd/4th starters you guys have questions too....How much does Unit have left and can he stay healthy? Was Owings first 5 starts for real or is he the guy from the last 2 who got hit pretty good? Outside of Qualls and Lyon do guys have other options in the pen?

Its all stuff I look forward to seeing answered....and hopefully when you play the mets in the nlcs (yeah thats a prediction), NYM prevails :wink2:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  40. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

I have seen Johnson here in Tucson when he was on assignement....like 2 weeks ago. He is NOT the anwer.

Doug Davis had cancer removed 2 weeks ago, and he will be back, which will provide a very very nice 3 spot on the rotation. Micah will go back to 4 and we have this new kid Swerzer coming on Monday for his first start. He was with the D-backs for 2 entire days when he was called upon in the third. He faced 13 hitters..and retired all 13 including 7 strikeouts. He threw 47 pitches, 38 of which were strikes. :up:
    Also, the "Liveliest" arm in the Bullpen is actually Jaun Cruz. When on, he is very tough to hit.

I could easily see the Mets and D-backs in the NLCS..it would be our second NLCS is an many years :up:

Boik14 likes this.