1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 Mock Draft - Phins 1st Day Picks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Roman529, Dec 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have looked at a variety of mock draft web sites and here are some of the likely picks that we would take based on where we are at right now:

1. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU - Most experts feel that that our running back situation is pretty secure with Ronnie Brown, Chatman, and Ricky Williams. The O-line has "only" given up an average of two sacks per game, and Satele is going to be a force for many years. Most feel that we will not draft a QB early as Beck will be slowly worked into the starter's role, and we can make do with Lemon for now. Trent Green likely will be waived next year, so a possible 3rd QB could be drafted towards the end of the first day. WR and TE are needs but we can wait until later on to grab guys at these spots. The main problem is our defense which is giving up an average 27.3 points a game, with the Jets getting over 40 on us a couple weeks ago. Dorsey has had an off year, but he is still a beast who shuts down the middle, and should recover from his injury.

2A. Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona OR Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

Look for the Phins to take a CB with their 2nd pick (first pick of the 2nd round). The Phins were very shaky in this area to begin the season and then saw numerous injuries to their defensive secondaries which required the team to grab guys off the street to fill these spots. I think the Patriot's game earlier this year, where Brady lobbed a few bombs to Randy Moss, clearly shows we have big needs at CB, as well as at the Safety spots. Cason will likely be gone by the # 32 spot, but Talib has the potential to be a # 1 CB.

2B. Pick one of the Rey-Rays, Rey Maualuga, USC or Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers. Maualuga is projected anywhere from the #15 pick all the way to dropping to the end of the 2nd round. We cannot pass on this guy if he is there....slide Crowder to ILB, and have Rey play the OLB. I also love Ray Rice...he could be our Maurice Jones-Drew and back up RB.....he is very durable and tough for his size.

3. WR - Paul Hubbard, Wisconsin, OR Keenan Burton, Kentucky
    4. QB - Joe Flacco, Deleware, OR Eric Ainge, Tennesee

WHAT YOU GUY'S THINK? :ffic:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  2. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    It's a little early to be mocking the draft as we have Free Agency and the combine prior to the draft.

However let's assume for the sake of argument:
    1. JT gets traded to a contender for say the 20th pick of the second round.
    2. We acquire one of the premium CBs on the market in FA.
    3. We won't be able to find a trade partner for a trade down scenario.

That would mean that our needs at the top of the draft will, in order, be:
    1) Defensive linemen
    2) MLB (Channing Crowder seems to be a much better OLB than ILB)
    3) OL - Guard or Tackle
    4) TE
    5) DB - We still need help at Corner and Safety

I for one would be very surprised if our picks in the first 3 rounds fell outside of these areas.

I see the 1st pick as a choice between Dorsey and Long at this point. Arguments can be made for either player but to be honest either player would help us.

With the 32nd pick I see us taking the top rated MLB or TE on our board, unless an OT or DE we have highly rated has slipped a long way.

The remaining 2nd rounders will probably be a Lineman and a skill position player.

3. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Rice won't come out! But Slanton could slide to 32 if we need a back after Dorsey.

How are you doing buddy, long time no talk.

4. FINintheMOON

FINintheMOON Moderator Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Catharpin, Va
    I actually think that we will find a trade down scenario for our #1... I am currently working on a few scenarios that I think would be good to land us in the 12-15 range of the 1st round with a 2nd and another, depending on the team...

But I do like your ideas Roman... However, if we stick to what we have, I would go with Long instead of Dorsey...

5. grushcow

grushcow New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    although its early I think most of those guys are not gonna fall that far. I don't see Cason or Talib falling out of the first and Maualuga is unlikely to fall out of the first, and if he does I say we take him with our 2a. pick. Joe Flacco is unlikely to fall past the second round and after the combine should be a top 5 QB. I wouldn't mind trading our pick to dallas either. If Capers leaves so to will Taylor and I think we'll get a 2nd for him. Heres my mock.

1. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
    Fills a major void on our D-LIne and with the possible departure of Capers will be a scheme fit.
    2a. Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma*
    An absolute monster at 355 pounds he will help pave the way with our run first offense.
    2b. Fred Davis, TE, USC
    Will help out our QB whoever that maybe, could become a Gates type player
    2c. Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
    Shooting up draft boards has great size with 4.4 speed.
    3. Jonathon Hefney, CB/S, Tennessee/ Craig Steltz, S, LSU
    Versatile defender/ Ballhawk
    4. Jordon Dizon, ILB, Colorado
    The heir to the Zach thrown
    6. Jason Rivers, WR, Hawaii
    Quality value pick, great speed.
    7. Mike Cox, FB, Georgia Tech
    One of the supreme run blockers in this draft will help our run game explode.

6. lbmclean_sj

lbmclean_sj New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

7. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    i want the cb from USF mike jenkins on this team somehow

8. Carabinieri44

Carabinieri44 New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    why do so many people think Fred Davis is gonna go in the late 2nd round? he would be a STEAL in the late 2nd round.

and Mike Cox.....is that a joke?

9. Whitedolphin54

Whitedolphin54 From the land of legends Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    I am so pissed off. none of my posts have got through in the last two days :confused2: :sad:

10. grushcow

grushcow New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    and Mike Cox.....is that a joke?[/QUOTE]
    no....hes a very stong run blocker and is good value considering the juggernaut can't lead block.

11. Whitedolphin54

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK

Do ya think Cason makes it to the second round?

12. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't know about Cason specifically, but this draft is very deep at CB. Like in 2007 with QBs and 2006 with offensive linemen, a lot of very good talent will fall to the 2nd round.

13. Whitedolphin54

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK

All the more reason to trade down if we can?

14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Not too far down. There's some seriously premium talent at the top of this draft, and it would not be in our interests to miss it just for the sake of picking up another mid-round player.

15. Whitedolphin54

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK

I am glad you agree shag.

16. Whitedolphin54

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    Having said that, I am not on the Fred Davis bandwagon yet.

I would much prefer we took C Long and a CB early in the 2nd round :lol:

17. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    There will still be good corners later in the 2nd and earlier in the 3rd. We need secondary help, but not so badly that we can pass on someone who can very well be Miami's version of Antonio Gates.

18. Whitedolphin54

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK

I have a very high opinion on what you say Dee, and if I had my way , i would pick a DB in the 2nd round, after a DL in the first. I just cant make up my mind on who in the 1st round. Long or Dorsey, or down the board and get maybe both needs.

It is a lot of money to shell out for a #1 pick, especially when potentially there isn't a #1 there to pick.

19. Whitedolphin54

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK

I know you love him shag, but i just cant get my head around a TE in the 2nd when we need at CB, OL and DL. I guess we will always disagree on this subject, as good as Davis is. I just dont see TE as a priority over those positions specified. Now if we could get a real good TE in the 3rd , that would be different.

20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't buy the idea that there's no talent this year worthy of getting the guaranteed money of a #1 overall pick. McFadden, Gholston, Long, Dorsey, and Clady are all top-flight talent.

I'm not sure about a CB at pick #2b. I get the feeling we'll try and take a linebacker there. No reason why, just a hunch. But if we're going to wait until the 3rd or 4th to take a corner, I'm not so sure we shouldn't just spend a lot of money on Marcus Trufant. The secondary needs immediate help, and a mid-round pick won't step in and contribute. They can't all be Zach Thomases.

21. Whitedolphin54

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    Dont get me wrong, I love LB's, and i would love us to pick up Trufant in Fa. But if we dont we need to pick up a DB starter wherever in the draft. If we pick up Trufant then we can forget Williams or Haynesworth. I am more interested in who you think is a good 2nd round LB prospect.

After all LB's make the rocking world go around. They do it all.

22. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Problem is, we don't know if Dom will be gone and whether or not we will run a 4-3 or 3-4, if 4-3 it we already have two of the Lb's Porter and Thomas, if a 3-4 we will need a complete revamping of our LB corps.

For me, the 4-3 makes more sense for the players that we have.

23. Whitedolphin54

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    In my opinion, it has always been a myth. We always play 4-3.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I hope so, it just easier to man, and if Dom is fired or resigns, what will the new DC run?

No mock draft from me as of yet, my "gut" tells me we will go offense more then people think we will...strictly my .02 of course.:001_rolleyes:

25. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't want Haynesworth at all. He's a punk playing for a big contract. Someone will give it to him, and then he'll disappear. Pass.

A good 2nd round LB... honestly, I'm not sure yet. It depends on who declares. Phillip Wheeler may fall. Beau Bell should be there. I'm hoping and praying that Dan Connor falls to #32, but I know that won't happen.

26. Whitedolphin54

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    We could go either way, but my gut feeling is DL annd CB. A lot could go on FA, and what they do.

27. Whitedolphin54

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    Interseting on Haynesworth as i thought him to be a good pick. Maybe because it is a need rather than who or what we want. What about Williams from the Vikes? We are desperate for a DT/NT and I am worried we will panic pick in the draft. I hope we dont pick Dorsey, just because he is a DT, rather than he is a player we really want.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm expecting us to use FA to sign run plugging DT's, I also think that we may stand pat a bit in the secondary, maybe resign Lehan, maybe not, and go with Olineman high in the draft.

Alot of our strategy will depend on FA IMO, do we resign Hadnot for example?

29. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We'll see, we have 3 decent Dt's and one young De already, Roth is a "?" but we don't have true run stuffing DT's yet.

And Dorsey could redeem himself yet, the BCS game is still 3 weeks off, if his injuries are minor he should play well, if not, IMO a consensus of "pass on Dorsey at #1" will be everywhere in the sports media.

30. Whitedolphin54

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK

First of all, I hope we do resign Lehan;

Secondly, what DT's do you see us signing in FA;

Thirdly. i have no problem with us signing Dorsey, i just dont want us to panic buy;

And lastly, dependant on who we do sign in FA, I would love to see C Long come here, especialy if Jason stays.

31. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yeah, I think you're overstating the need for Haynesworth or Williams simply because the defense needs help. We need to rebuild the defense, but let's do it the right way instead of the patchwork stuff we've seen for two decades.

Dorsey should be able to play NT just fine, presuming Soliai doesn't pan out. But if Soliai gets his head out of his ***, and we stick with the 4-3, we then have a DT tandem of Soliai and Dorsey. You can't double-team them both, and Dorsey has proven time and time again that he can rush the QB from the center of the line just as well as many pass-rushing DEs.

Dorsey isn't a lock to be our guy, but he sure appears to be leading the pack right now.

32. Whitedolphin54

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK

Actually i probably agree with you. But if we do sign either Williams or Haynesworth where do we go with the draft?

I do think we stick with the 4-3, with maybe an occasional bit of tinkering.

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think Disgustipate posted a list of every single free agent to be this offseason, some will be resigned, some let go, I liked Kendal Moorehead from the Panthers, not a true NT, but very effectively seated behind Kris Jenkins.

C Long is not our guy IMO, I would prefer Ghoulston who has owned Jake Long in those OSU/Michigan games, long is high motor type, we need a JT type who can play up or down with top notch skills.

And then run stopping DT with our #4, or CB who has slid down.

So (very tentatively mind you)

1. Ghoulston or Claddy
    2. Okam/Olineman (a Guard and we keep Shelton)
    3. Beau Bell

So with this both lines get help, the Oline receives more help, we have the heir to ZT, the Dline receives help either way, a pass rushing DE or a Okam at #32 and a LT at #1.

Our oline is soo close to being good, we really should finish the job, our Dline will just need some bodies, no way we can effectively plug our holes on the Dline in one draft unless our next DC is just a genius at lineman rotation..

And IMO, we don't "need" a receiving TE early in the draft, we need a blocking Te who can teach to catch the ball....people forget that Gates was a UFA fmr Basketball player when he was signed by the Chargers.

34. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    First, I don't think we'll even pursue Williams. I don't see a role for him here. And Haynesworth... either another team will give him an enormous contract, or he'll get franchised. I don't know if Tennessee is already franchising someone, but I have a sneaking suspicion they could use the tag on Haynesworth.

35. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Aqua...damn good slotting IMHO!!!

One issue: Beau Bell is an early 2 IMHO, maybe higher and I have not seen Rienhart although he reads about where you slotted him. Flacco is Drew Bledsoe with less mobility, and he does not look like a rocket scientist in his decision making. Nice D-2 story and the kind of guy you root for, but IMHO does not have a big future. Couple guys I may add; for the Rienhart selection..... App State guard Kerry Brown, no holes in his game goes 310 and dominates at that level, somewhat like Rienhart reads. At #64, same type player as Bell but not rated as high....Ben Moffit USF LB, versatile, hard worker, has tools, and lots of range.......

36. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hey Greg :wave:...doing great. Hope you and your family the best for the Holidays. Miss all of the FH regulars. :hi5:

37. REV KEV

REV KEV New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    I agree we will neutralize teams high octane by smashing them in the mouth...

38. REV KEV

REV KEV New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Me thinks you are right...:up:up:

If we don't go McF. or QB...

This makes a lot of sense - spending money on LT..., our line is arguably our strength right now..., move Carey to the Right and maul your opponent..., which opens up the play action pass...

I think we will pick a QB by round four because good players will drop...

39. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    A better Oline will allow John Beck or "whomever" to develop, and enhance our strength at running back and win time of possession against those high octane offenses.

Funny thing about the NFL, teams play "catch up" for the next thing, right now the Pats 3 top flight Wr's and a great QB is en vogue, we don't have a decent QB. let alone a great one, so let's take a page out of Shula's book and work with what we have, not with what we want to have.

OT, but isn't it strange that the Pats have built themselves the Colts team from 2005? Their now a good weather team, should be fun to see how that plays out in MA in the winter..

40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Interesting option though, what if we keep Carey at LT, and let the Rookie play RT for OJT? We will have to pay Carey LT money anyway to keep him here and the rookie can learn the NFL in a easier position to play?

If we lose Hadnot, we can try to swtiching Satele to Guard and play Mormino at Center in a pinch.

The draft is so far away, it is tough to tell which QB will slip, but it always happens.