1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009/2010 Mets. The Jerry is gone version!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Boik14, Feb 10, 2009.

1. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Nice sweep of the Braves

This team seems to be coming together, and the Phils are coming back to earth.

maybe we will have an interesting season after all:danceline:

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    So the FIRE JERRY THREAD is being re-named, SUPPORT JERRY THREAD.

3. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    We Love Jerry Thread!

Until next week! :shifty:

Boik14 and BigDogsHunt like this.
  4. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Cheater!!! thats awesome!:up:

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    No, its still the fire Jerry Thread! Even the dumb dog finds a bone every now and then. :tantrum: :tongue2:

At least call it the We like Ike thread! Ike's Mets are now 6-1. :yes:

Good to see Big Pelf fight through his worst outing of the year. First time he ever gave us 5 scoreless vs the Braves, previously had a 6+ era in 10 career starts vs them.

Now WTF is wrong with David Wright.

6. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I don't want to get carried away but Ike Davis might be as good as Lou Gehrig.

Boik14 and Ronnie Bass like this.
  7. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    nice:lol:

8. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Psssh Lou Gehrig couldnt hold Ike's jock. Lou may be in the HOF but Ike will be creating his own HOF one day, just for Ike. :tongue2:

Section126 likes this.
  9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    He'll probably end up throwing the Mets' first franchise perfect game/no-hitter too.

10. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He did use to pitch! :lol:

11. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    So now he's Babe Ruth?:shifty:

12. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Things have tightened up a little bit. The Mets got a nice 6-inning rain shortened win yesterday, but a Braves loss always helps. :shifty: Phillies have Blanton, Happ and Rollins on the sidelines, but we'll be back.

13. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Yeah the only thing he needs now is another 714 homers and a candy bar named after him :)

14. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    And you guys paid a small ransom for Ryan Howard...5/125m contract extension starting in 2012 season

Roman529 likes this.
  15. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    He's pretty good but he's no Jason Heyward.... he's been quiet the past week or so but pitchers don't exactly feel compelled to throw him too much given the rest of the crap in the Braves lineup right now.

16. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Here is the formula any team in baseball can use right now to ensure a win against Atlanta:

Pitch to leadoff man - [easy out]
    Walk Martin Prado
    Walk Chipper [that is if he's in the game, if not you've got another easy out]
    Walk McCann
    Pitch to Troy Glaus, receive gift wrapped inning ending double play ball. Nobody in baseball is likely as bad as Glaus with RISP, not that his regular average is good either.

Next inning, try to strike out Heyward, walk if needed, easy outs through the rest of the lineup. Let Escobar on base if you're bored and want to see a comical baserunning error.

Rinse and repeat.

Anyway, see you next series. Hopefully Atlanta will pull their heads from their ***** and it will be more competitive.

17. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Hmmm sounds like the 09 Mets except you could just substitute the names of the players :wink2:

18. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Who are these guys playing in Mets uniforms???

We could end the night in first place. :huh1:

They are fun to watch lately!

19. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yeah but fortunately the money doesn't really kick in until 2012. Hopefully by then Jaime Moyer and Raul Ibanez will both be gone with their combined $22 million contract. Ruben Amaro feels they can still sign Werth, but if not, JRoll, Chase, Howard and Halladay should be around through 2012.

Looks like the Phillies are facing Cy Young Wellemeyer and have forgotten how to hit. Looking forward to the upcoming Mets-Phillies series. :up:

20. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    8-1 since Ike has arrived! :hi5:

-Wright and Bay finally looked good tonight. Maybe Jerry wasnt so off the wall putting Reyes in the three slot. Bay is seeing more fastballs as a result and starting to hit. Wright looks late on some of the fastballs but the opposite field bases clearing triple was encouraging.
    -Frenchy is still sporting a OBP over 340. :up:
    -Nice outing by Johan in game one. Hes slated to face Halladay on Sunday Night. Talk about Must See TV for any baseball fan!
    -Ollie still sucks
    -Takahashi is pitching better. And when he hits he hits it further then Castillo ever has. Thats both sad and good at the same time

The one thing that really worries me is that our starter do not go deep in to games. Maine and Ollie are five inning guys on a good night. Pelfrey and Johan typically have gone 6+ with Niese falling right in between. As a result out pen is pitching 3+ innings per night. We need to find a way to get Oswalt or Arroyo or anyone who can give us 6+ every time out.

21. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    9-1 since Ike has arrived.
    Maine actually went 6 good innings today.
    bay hitting 412 over his last five.

22. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    [​IMG]

Boik14 and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  23. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    They can do this, making the playoffs, not just because they are playing so good but basically cause the NL is not very good, I honestly feel the Mets can beat everybody but Philly and St Louis.

This is really a nice surprise when you consider everyone including me was writing them off two weeks ago.

Bravo Mets.

Boik14 likes this.
  24. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I cant believe this is our first 9-1 homestand in team history! I dont know whether to laugh or cry at that fact.

I do know that we need another bat, another quality arm to knock Ollie or Maine out of the rotation, and at least one more top end arm. The bat will be Beltran if/when he ever gets back. You could find a guy like Washburn still available who can at least give you a quality start every time out even if he strikes out no one. The top end pitcher is the hard part. A guy like Oswalt would be ideal even if his contract is a bit longer then I'd like. Other then that him tough to say who else will be available.

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  25. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    You are so right about Beltran being the bat we need. I would LOVE Oswalt but what ammunition do we have to get him?

26. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    A lot of teams like Meija so I think you could start a package with him. We have a pretty respectable farm system right now with some of our higher end prospects advancing through the system. I dont want to mortgage the entire future but if the rumors that Houston might be looking to shed some salary are true then Oswalt's remaining 3 years and 51 million might not cost the arm and a leg in prospects he normally may. :up:

27. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    No way can they trade him, he's only 20 and looks like he could be a stud starter or closer for many years, I don't know what else we got to trade but he has to be considered an untouchable.

28. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    You'd have to think Houston would ask for Meija, Fernando Martinez and Wilmer Flores right off the bat, I'd guess that 2 out of those 3 plus a few other players would be a nice package to start with.

29. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Im less worried about a stud closer. We have K rod who while hes a headache and a bit of a diva personality he gets it done usually and has a thick skin. I like Meija but he has a long way to go in his development. he has a great cutter but inconsistent secondary pitches that may take him years to figure out. While many GM's like him and I do as well, we cant expect to keep winning games giving up 4+ walks per game, the most in thirty years. Unless you want to rely on Dillon Gee (24, coming off shoulder surgery) to give the rotation a boost you got to give something to get something. It doesnt have to be Meija but Id rather give him then Fernando because I think Fernando is the better prospect and I think Beltran is the other player you can potentially trade for a big arm clearing the way for Fernando in 2011 or down the stretch.

I would die laughing at that. I might consider that reasonable if we were talking about a David Price or a Zack Greinke but for a age 32 Roy Oswalt with 3/51 still left on his deal with Drayton McClain already itching to dump some payroll and the Astros going nowhere? He should be thrilled if he got a young stud like Meija and a couple of solid B grade prospects like a Kirk Neiwhenhuis or a Ruben Tejada.

On a different note:
    -Ike's Mets are now 10-1
    -2 Homers by Barajas tonight, guy always kills in his returns to Philly. Hes played there 7x since a 25 game stint in Philly in 07 and every game es been back there he has at least 1 XBH and at least 1 rbi.
    -Wright and Frenchy also homered. Frenchy played some great OF defense as well crashing in to the fence to make a catch. Then Baez plunked him on the forearm and he left the game and is day to day.
    -Solid game by Pagan driving in runs and creating some havoc on the bases
    -Meija plunked Utley after Francoeur got hit and a few inside pitches to Wright were thrown
    -Lidge looked like crap in his return

30. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Drayton McClain loves Oswalt though so it's going to take a fairly big package to get him to agree to dealing Roy. I don't think a trade like that is out of the question considering this is a win now team with the jobs of the GM and manager on the line as well as a fan base that's dying for a winning team, let's put it this way I wouldn't be shocked to see Omar do that. The Mets would need to give away at least Meija or Martinez in the deal.

31. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Rubber match tomorrow. I like Moyer's chances against Johan. Moyer will play until
    he is 50. Huge game by Halladay today.

32. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    10-4 now with Ike and this is why its the Fire Jerry thread. He insisted on using Manny Acosta. Why do use a guy who walks a batter per inning? Hes never had control, he hasnt shown any this year and you use him against a team that had won 7, now 8 games in their last at bat. Kills me. A manager has very little effect on a game except for the decisions he makes. When a manager loses games for you, you get rid of him. When he wins games for you, you keep him. Bobby V won games for use by outmanaging opponents time and again.

- Beltran started working out, still hasnt started baseball activities.
    - I see a lot of good things from Wright and Frenchy.
    - Gritty outing from perez. Confidence in his fastball grew as the game wore on. Gotta use that 92-94mph as a lefty when your control is shady at best.
    -Frequently-used Fernando (Nieve) was sharp again.
    -Ike had a chance to put us up 3-2 in the top of the 11th before Nix ended it. he looked overmatched vs Nick Masset though. With runners on 1st and 2nd and 2 out he took two meatball curves over the plate and then swung at a fastball in the dirt. Bad AB at a bad time. Still love Ike though.
    - Pagan isnt bad but he just doesnt do it for me in CF. I want Fernando sooner then later. Pagan would be a perfect 4th OF or trade bait for a team that wanted a leadoff hitter.
    - Pelfrey flew back to NY after experiencing stiffness in his throwing shoulder before and during saturday's game. That may explain his performance. The good news is, the MRI was clean according to Ed Coleman on WFAN.

33. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    11-5 now with Ike

Ike had his first two homer game as a pro (including the minors)
    Barajas had his 3rd multi homer game this year including a walk off homer to end it in the bottom of the 9th..
    After K Rod blew the same
    Big Pelf gave them a solid 7 1/3rd. Looked like he should so I guess no worries about the MRI.

34. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    12-6 entering tonight game with Ike.

Thole up, blanco on bereavement list: metsblog.com/2010/05/10/news-henry-blanco-on-bereavement-list-thole-up/

Beltran will start running this week.

Great interview with wilmer flores on metsblog as well. Pretty articulate for a kid so young. The future is bright with him, fmart and some of the guys they have in place....

Piazza wants to wear a mets cap in the hof..http://www.metsblog.com/2010/05/10/note-piazza-wants-to-wear-mets-hat-in-hof/

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  35. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    13-8 with Ike

-Kid just missed his first grand slam by inches the other night on a ball im not sure if it was fair or foul. Ike has been making the hard plays look easy and has already fallen over the railing and in to the Mets dugout 3x to make catches
    -Maine's had a couple of encouraging starts. Hopefully 2006/2007 John Maine will reappear soon. I really think he is just a 3rd pitch away from being a very respectable 4th starter.
    -Concerns about David Wright are valid to an extent. He's been late getting around on pitches since getting planked in the head last year. Since that point you can directly see an uptick in his k rate. He's not off by much, just a hair early or a hair late sometimes. Hopefully the problem fixes itself. But he did get a key hit in the rally on Tuesday night and is up to 288/961OPS. He should use the gap in right-center a bit more since thats his natural swing and he's gotten away from the Nomar-like timing mechanism he used to use.
    - Big Pelf labored a bit yesterday and when his sinker is elevated the batters usually elevate it further.
    -Franceour is struggling mightily over his last 150 AB's since the 20 inning game vs st louis with just 4 XBH. Getting robbed by Roger Bernadino yesterday didnt help. And why is it that the Mets always get owned by players who never do anything vs anyone else? Bernadino is just another example.
    -Reyes is hitting just 175 over his last 10. Now's a good time to come out of it. Once Jerry realizes he's not a 3 hitter because he presses to elevate the ball in that 3 spot we will be better off.

36. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    IKE DAVIS......ASU SUN DEVIL......my alma mater.

Hope he doesn't turn into Paul LoDuca.

37. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    He will never be a roid using hot head in my opinion. That said the Mets have really missed Lo Duca's leadership the last few years.

13-10 with Ike...

- When can we officially send Ollie Perez away for good? How much more do the Mets front office need to see? Are they that incapable of admitting a mistake signing? This guy needs the Trachsel treatment...send him to the minors to get his stuff together. He's had a 6+ era since Peterson was dismissed.

- Not sure what to do with Jose Reyes entering his option year. He's been very bad offensively so far. His defense looks fine but he's trying too much to elevate the ball from the 3 slot. Jerry better not have messed this kid up. He still doesnt have an infield hit so far and for a guy who usually gets around 20 a season thats disturbing.

- Meija and Raul Valdez seem to be solid bullpen pieces right now. Fernando Nieve has done well also save for the game losing wild pitch the other night. This team needs a starter or two in the worst way though. I'll tell you who I dont want though...Carlos Zambrano is way too volatile to bring in to this clubhouse. Get Oswalt or Zambrano's teammate, the underrated Ted Lilly.

38. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Hour and a half closed door meeting with Jerry before todays game. My guess is if he comes back from this road trip anything worse then 3-3 over the next 6 hes done.

Ollie refused an assignment to AAA. He may say he cares about the team in interviews but clearly he could care less.

Niese is on the DL after straining the same hammy he messed up last year.

Daniel Murphy is working at 2B and OF in the minors and should be starting the rehab assignment shortly.

Ryota Igarashi is making the start in Ollie's place and Friday we will probably see RA Dickey or Dillon Gee in Niese's place.

Why Chris Carter is batting cleanup for the 2nd straight day after being in Buffalo a week ago I cant explain. That's another logicless Jerry move.

39. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    Wasn't it also a similar play to his injury from last year? Either way the injury bug this team suffers from is just unbelievable.

40. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    yes it was and yet I continuously see met fans posting and hear them saying that there is nothing wrong with the training staff yet we continuously miss more games then most teams to player injuries. Part of that is due to fragile personnel like Maine or Castillo's knee who routinely get hurt but at some point the trainers have to have some role in that dont they?

Edit: Just read on rotoworld that catalanatto was cut and will probably retire. Poor guy always wanted to be a Met growing up on Long Island and he finally becomes one and sucks it up in his swan song. That cant be a good feeling.

Ronnie Bass likes this.