1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009/2010 Mets. The Jerry is gone version!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Boik14, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    And Hamels just wants to keep talking. Damn, I cant wait til the games start. We have some serious ownage to do of the worst world series team in history. 7-11 vs the Mets is going to look pretty damn good compared to what I hope the Mets do to Philly this year! :

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/mets/..._mets_are.html

Quote:
    Phillies ace Cole Hamels just can't seem to quit talking about the Mets, judging from yet another interview he gave to Philadelphia station WIP last week.

On why the Mets are thought of as "chokers":

"The word choke means you weren't able to fully come through when you were supposed to," Hamels said. "I think the Mets had the top teams, they pretty much had the championships in the bag and they weren't able to come through. A lot of guys will perceive them as choking in the end and not fulfilling their end of the bargain because they should have taken it. You know what? It really does show the strength and hard work and I guess the deep down guts that we have to take it away from them."

The WIP host then told Hamels that he thought WFAN put words in his mouth with the whole "Mets are choke artists" controversy, and Hamels agreed.

"I wouldn't have thought of it myself," he said. "I like to do most of my playing out on the field and I don't need to be mentioned in the media or trying to attack someone because that's not the person I am. I'll attack you when I'm out on the mound."

2. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
  3. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I read this in the Star-Ledger this morning, when you buy Phillies tickets the ticket itself will have a Phillies player on it, except for the tickets against the Mets, those will have the WS trophy on it.

And the obsession continues....

4. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
  5. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
  6. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Its early, but Luis C batting first and Reyes 3rd is doing some damage. Reyes hit two blasts today, but I'm just worried he will start swinging for the fences all the time.

7. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Elbow according to this:
    Johan Santana was scratched from his planned outing in Friday's exhibition due to some elbow stiffness.
    Santana said he experiences tightness in the elbow annually. He thinks it might have happened now because he's been throwing more than usual in an effort to show the Mets that his surgically repaired knee is sound. He'll likely throw a bullpen Sunday and start a game in the middle of next week. Feb. 26 - 1:53 pm et
    Source: New York Daily News

Slappy looks good early on, maybe its the weight-loss. He has to keep it up so we can get rid of that albatross contract.

The reyes part concerns me as well.

Also for anyone interested go to wfan.com and you can here the interviews Fatty did with Dan Murphy, King Fernando, Ollie and Church

The snippet I loved:
    he asked ollie if he was playing in the WBC, ollie says "yes of course its an honor to me to play for my country." Fatty says "Ok so you are playing in it" and ollie just says Ok papi, thank you...hahaha it was hilarious, there was like a five second pause after that

8. mixmaster_matt

mixmaster_matt New Member

May 18, 2008
    Santana's arm raises doubts for opener

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=3941945

also heard on WFAN that Livan Hernandez is the front runner for the 5 spot, despite what it says on the bottom of the link i posted. I really hope that Santana is just a small deal, and he gets better quick. The one person we can't afford to have out is him...

9. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    There is history with Santana's arm, none of it is really alarming.
    2001 he had elbow surgery.
    Hes said he gets some stiffness in his elbow every spring. This year they reported a week earlier then usual. Because Santana actually wanted to be around the team and make sure his balance was ok after knee surgery he has been putting in extra work.

My guess is the mets are just being overly precautions which I understand since he is the most irreplaceable player on the team in my opinion.

10. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Plus he has stated he could not throw like he usually does in the off season due to his surgery.

Its good to be cautious, but its just the normal soreness and stretching going on in the muscles I believe.

11. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Johan Santana told the Mets on Sunday there was no need to have his left elbow examined in New York, as the club had planned. Because the weather would have made travel problematic and because the pitcher's read of his own body was positive, the club canceled its flight arrangements and the examination.

Santana will remain in St. Lucie, and will resume his preparation for the season later this week when he throws again in the bullpen. He threw 31 pitches Sunday in his first bullpen session since Wednesday and said he felt fine.

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/ar...t_id=3900388&vkey=news_nym&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym

12. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    What the heck will the NY Post or the Daily News or Newsday have to gloom and doom about on the back page? I guess they will find something to try and seel some more papers.

13. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Where' Billy Wagner when you need him? :shifty:

Mets' Putz blows save for Team USA
    J.J. Putz - R - NYM - Mar. 4 - 5:29 pm et
    J.J. Putz took the loss for Team USA after surrendering three runs in the ninth Wednesday against the Blue Jays.
    Putz had a chance to close out a 5-3 lead, but he couldn't hold it against a series of Triple-A players, giving up three hits and two walks while retiring just two batters. Mar. 4 - 5:29 pm et

14. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Ya best he gets it out of his system now. I mean 3rd outing of the spring so frankly its not a big deal.

I like that Johan is throwing a bullpen session again tomorrow and based on everything I have read seems intent on being ready for the opener. Be afraid. :shifty:

15. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Did you guys watch Team USA play Team Canada in the WBC yesterday?

The announcer said, "Putz is about to blow this save despite Rollins making a great play to bail him out." :yes:

The announcer said, "That's why the Mets go home every year and the Phils win championships," after Rollins play. :tongue2:

16. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

I'm loving the WBC, but I can't help but shake my head every time Matt Lindstrom and Heath Bell come in. I mean, two of the best relievers in baseball, and we got a big sack of nothing for them.

In Omar's defense, Jason Vargas looked like the better prospect than Lindstrom at the time, but the focus of the deal was actually Vargas for Henry Owens. Lindstrom was something of a throw-in. If they'd just done the damn Vargas for Owens swap, everything would have been fine. What really galls me was that Minaya made three deals within a couple weeks of each other: Lindstrom/Owens for Vargas/Bostick, Bannister for Burgos and Bell/Ring for Adkins/Johnson. At the time, the deals looked essentially like shuffling the deck for the sake of shuffling the deck. There was no cohesion there. No plan to speak of. "Bannister doesn't have great stuff, so let's trade him for a guy who does." Um, you just gave up two hard-throwing righties with great stuff in other deals.

Every one of those three deals was an unqualified disaster. Not a Zambrano for Kazmir level disaster, but sometimes it's the little deals that bite you in the ***. Only Vargas and Bostick are still with the organization, and both have AAAA stamped on their forehead.

17. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

It is sad!!

I have watched a few games in the WBC, they have been good. I didn't watch any last year.

Boy were they killing Luis Sojo (Or how ever you spell it) last night. It was a bonehead move using both pitchers against Italy.

18. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    There's a time and place for stuff like the wbc and its called the olympics. I would not and will not ever watch the wbc unless the only other options were golf and lifetime tv. Id rather watch c-span for 68 straight days then a fake a competition which the majority of the population could care less about.

As far as Bell and Lindstrom go those deals look awful in retrospect because they are but one can always question whether those two pitches would ever ave attained that level of success with the Mets because they certainly were not on track. Bell hated NY, hated pitching here, hated Peterson. Lindstrom we tried like hell to teach him a slider orand every other kind of breaking and off speed pitch and he couldnt figure it out; its not Omar's fault the guy couldnt follow directions.

19. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Steve phillips was on 1050 ESPn yesterday and said the Mets should sign Pedro who looks great, he said he is hitting the low 90's and his arm is back over his head (it wasn't last year) on his release making his curve that much better.

He also said we should sign Pudge who has been pounding the ball and seems willing to take any deal to get back into the league.

20. phunwin

21. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

You beat me, I just saw it scroll on the bottom of the Mexico WBC game.

22. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Maine got tattooed again today.

I really think we are going to have to call Pedro. Garcia, Hernandez and Reading are just not going to do it.

23. mixmaster_matt

mixmaster_matt New Member

May 18, 2008
    For that reason alone i don't want either.

24. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Watching Pedro pitch now, the guy looks good, two shut out innings so far!

25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Higgi likes this.
  26. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    At this point ya, Id have to take Pedro over Livan or Garcia. Garcia just looks done. Redding hasnt looked that bad but Id prefer him as the long man/emergency starter.

As far as Pudge, he would make sense if we can unload Castro somewhere. Castro though posts a higher OPS and has better defensive skills. Still if we could upgrade a corner OF spot (Nady?) it would make a lot of sense. :hi5:

Now he can take all the 2AM cab rides he wants....

Maine is a mental mess right now which worries me. He's an important piece of this rotation and just seemed to be getting his command back early in the spring. He was actually pitching better further down in the zone then at any point in his tenure as a met. He's always going to be a mental gring but he's capable of great things. A couple of years ago in 07 he had a 180k in 190IP and he can do better then that.

Smart guy... :tongue2:

27. phunwin

Certainly the worst that didn't involve Travis Bickle.

28. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    johan pitching tonight...its on sny now if youre interested...

29. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Just wondering where Roman is with the news about Hamels. He likes to rip on the Met fans when their team is down, I hope he's not on suicide watch right now.

30. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    What happened to Hamels?

31. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Went back to Philly to have his elbow checked out.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  32. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I dont wish injury on anyone but if the Phils lose hamels for any significant length of time they are toast. Hamels is their only legit SP, the rest are trash.

33. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    It was just an inflammation and I don't rip the Mets when they are down....I just point out some things that could make it tough on their team. :tongue2:

You won't see me kicking anyone when they are down. Sounds like Hamels and Santana both have elbow problems.....probably from throwing a lot of pitches last year and then trying to get back into game shape. We didn't have Lidge at the beginning of the last year and it turned out ok. Injuries happen in baseball, always have, always will. I think the difference is the Phillies have a lot more depth with their starters this year and can go with Happ, Kendrick or Chan Ho Park as their 5th starter. We also got rid of Eaton. :up:

I did feel kind of dirty cheering on David Wright when Team USA beat Team Puerto Rico tonight....and Beltran did make a very nice catch over the wall in CF. That's the only time I will be cheering for Wright. :shifty:

34. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO

I can say the exact same thing in regards to Johan Santana. :yes:

35. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm just messing with you Roman.

36. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Wright with the game winner last night, it was funny seeing Jeter jump up and down like a kid on David!

37. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Agreed, except Johan's bullpen sessions are fine and hes throwing in live games. I dont wish Hamels injury but if Wright, Delgado and co, want to rock him for 8ER in 2 and a 1/3 I wont really be upset :tongue2:

I would also say that Pelfrey/Maine/Perez > the rest of the Phillies staff. Perez would be the Phillies 2nd best starting pitcher which in itself is pretty laughable. :up:

38. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

The Mets are the greatest and David Wright is my hero.:yes:

Mets sounds way too suspiciously close to Jets. Therefore...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

muscle979 likes this.
  39. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Wow, it looks like you cant decide how you really feel. Go with the top part! :tongue2: