1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009/2010 Mets. The Jerry is gone version!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Boik14, Feb 10, 2009.

1. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    You know who has had a very good year and we dumped him.

Billy Wagner.

Boik14 likes this.
  2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Does this surprise you? Wags was controversial when he was here but he was correct in my opinion more often then not. This team lacked leadership and accountability and he spoke on it. Maybe not the smartest move but not wrong either.

Dickey's surgeries were when he came up as a fireballing first round pick. He's been toiling in the Rangers organization for a when until this year. this year was the first time he truly bought in to being a full time knuckleballer. What i have found is that the amount of fastballs he has thrown has declined from last year to this year and from the beginning of this year to now.

The Mets can offer him his final year of arbitration where you truthfully never know what is going to happen or offer a 34 year old a 2-3 year deal. I would probably offer him something like 2 years/5M with a 3rd year option for like 3M. If you wait to long and he repeats it he's going to get a lot more. He's really commanded the knuckleball which isn't something you say often. Worst case with a contract like that is that he can always be moved or he can become a long reliever. Thats not unreasonable numbers and considering hes "only" making like 650k this year he could be willing to take something along those lines. Plus he is one of the few players who hasn't quit and who is happy to be here. So reward him.

I know Fernando is hurt. He should be off the 7 day DL any day now though. I would expect him to get a call sometime soon after he gets a couple of rehab games in. :wink2:

3. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Here is what the Mets should do....at minimum:

1. Fire Minaya, Fire Jerry (you cannot win with either one).
    2. Base the team around Wright and Ike Davis and get rid of guys like Beltran, Reyes, Castillo and Ollie Perez (I know, easier said then done).
    3. You need a guy who has some pop in his bat: like Adam Dunn.
    4. You have Santana and Pelf....add 2 or 3 decent starters. Niese looks fine at times.
    5. FIX CITI-FIELD.....sorry, but why have a park that big and why have walls that high up? It doesn't have to be really small like Wrigley, CBP or the Red's stadium, but if you move in the fences and lower the walls you will score more runs. I'm sure Santana gets tired of losing a lot of 2-1 games.

4. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Danny Espinosa sure bent you ****ers over today :pointlol:

5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Actually, I think you're a douche. :shifty:

Ray Finkle likes this.
  6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Enjoy your Dice-K jersey then Mikey.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  7. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    1. Agree, but they won't fire Minaya, just reassign him.
    2. Agree, but add Reyes, to much talent to trade
    3. Adam freaking Dunn??? get out of that high air, its making you light headed
    4. Santana, Pelf, Dickey, Niese should be here, Than the two rookies battle for last spot. (Unless one big name signed which I doubt)
    5. Leave Citi field alone, if other teams can score 4 to 5 runs against us, no reason we can't.

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Why are you hating on Adam Dunn? He's pretty underrated. Obviously he's not a fit with the Mets because they have Ike Davis at 1st and putting Dunn in the OF at CitiField would be a disaster but I'd love to have Dunn on my team as a DH.

Boik14 likes this.
  9. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Hating on Adam Dunn?

He'd be your best hitter by far.

10. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Would not be close, he strikes out all the time. He has no position, can you imagine him in our outfield, it would be a disaster!

11. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    See bold and you know why I'm saying he would be a disaster on the Mets.

He is a DH, can't field a lick.

12. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Yeah, I think that's the way they go also, not sure I'm happy about that.

I would not mind Wally, he has some fire.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/omar-minaya-likely-to-be-reassigned-after-the-season.php

Boik14 likes this.
  13. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    C'Mon Greg you know Dunn would put up big numbers, even at Citifield. I listen to Mike Francessa a lot and he also thinks they will be cleaning house soon and Minaya and Manuel will both be gone. They should hire Bobby Valentine, or Bob Brenly, and get a GM who will spend wisely. :up:

14. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    1. Minaya would be fine as a scout which is where I think his real strength is
    2. Agree with Greg, add Reyes in. As much as a high maintenance guy as he is, his risk/reward is huge. Its like selling low on a stock right now with where his value is.
    3. I wouldnt mind Dunn but no room with Bay in LF and Davis at 1B.
    4. Cliff Lee. That is all. Thats the only big name starter out there this year. If not Lee, Ill take a fly ball pitcher like a Javy Vazquez to give us innings but only on a short term deal.
    5. Hell no. Every time the Mets have been good, its been because their pitching and defense was good. 69, 73, 86, 2000, 2006...every single year we went to a NLCS or WS this is how the Mets were built. It works for them. But they need to be better in those areas. Biggest problems are talent level and not executing fundamentals.
    6. The one you left out...Im done with Maine, Perez, Crapstillo..the dead weight has to go. Give some kids a shot, sign some mediocre FA's for a year that arent a headache but just get the nonsense outta here. They can go anywhere they want but they shouldnt be welcome in Citifield anymore.

Not better then Wright or a healthy Reyes. Sorry. Not even close. He will pull a higher OBP then Reyes and hit more homers then Wright but theres no way if you were building a team you would see Dunn taken before Wright or Reyes. Not a chance.

The bolded part! Bobby V and Kevin Towers would be fine.

Dunn would put up big numbers anywhere because his home runs are no doubters...they would fly out in any park. But Bay's contract is probably unmovable and I don't think he can play RF. Dunn definitely can't.

Roman529 likes this.
  15. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Mets SP Johan Santana has a tear of the anterior capsule in his left shoulder and is to undergo season-ending surgery soon. The Mets anticipate that he will resume throwing in the spring.

16. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Yes he would be. Of course Wright/Reyes would be taken higher, they're younger and play much better D. But the best hitter would be Dunn and it's not debatable with Reyes. Wright? Maybe.

You're greatly over-stating Reyes' offensive ability.

17. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Your greatly underestimating what Reyes does when he is on. And White is a better hitter.

Dunn K's way to much and can't play in the field, he is suited for the AL where he can DH

18. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Career sub .800 OPS for Reyes. Right.

19. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Hence, best hitter. Not player.

20. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Adam Dunn has struck out a grand total of 6% percent more in his AB's than Wright has in his.

21. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    LOL.....both Santana and KRod missed the Team Photo......story goes that Mets Brass only want to photoshop Santana back into the picture.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...am_photo_wont_include_fran.html#ixzz0zoKehxfN

22. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Well, Santana had surgery, so I can understand that, at least he is not waiting until close to the season like a certain CFer on our team (Fantastic catch by Pagan last night in CF also)

K-Rod will be in jail.

Boik14 likes this.
  23. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm more curious to see the exact number of copies that 2010 New York Met team picture will be sold. You'd think with all the money the Wilpons are losing and the penny pinching being done in Queens they might want to save a few hundred dollars on it being done professionally (plus the cost of the photoshopping) and either skip the team picture all together or just get Jeff Wilpon to snap a quick picture from his Blackberry and draw in Santana in via the Microsoft Paint program.

Boik14 likes this.
  24. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Well if the rumor that the Mets will be penny pinching on the new manager/GM is true I nominate me for GM and you for coach :hi5:

Ray Finkle likes this.
  25. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm in. :up:

Boik14 likes this.
  26. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Sorry Matt

They may have someone out of the blue.

I'll just say WOW!
    I personally don't think the Mets would pay his price, but I could see Torre doing this, it would be like completing a full circle for him.

As long as he is not a player/Manager again! :no:

27. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
  28. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Mainge likes this.
  29. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    do you smell a Bring Back Frenchy chant soon????:lol:

30. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Not a surprise. They are going to move swift on Daniels I hope. There are some other good candidates out there as well.

Greg, they arent bringing back Torre. Torre already said he doesnt want the job anyway which is just as well. As long as the new GM re-hires Bobby V. This is going to be a young team next year, better they learn from a x's and o's guy like Bobby who knows how to teach.

31. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
  32. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Two years too late on Jerry. Omar I have less of a problem with once you get past the slapstillo and Ollie contracts.

33. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Not so fast!

Forget it: Omar and Jerry are still alive

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/forget-it-omar-and-jerry-are-still-alive.php

34. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Ugh yuck. Can em now!

I read something I found interesting the other day in Newsday. Jeff Wilpon is the one that wants them gone and pops is dragging his feet. Jeff is usually the one with itchy trigger finger and I understand why Fred Wilpon is dragging on this, Minaya still has a year or two left on his contract and will probably be reassigned within the organization. They have to figure out where to put him, as if its not obvious (director of scouting).

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  35. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I can't see how there's any way Jerry is brought back and I think even he would admit he's gone after Sunday's game. I think the only thing saving Omar is his contract but most likely they will remove him from the GM position and give him another front office job. He's not a bad talent evaluator, just a bad GM to make deals with and offering players contracts.

And yes I agree Jon Daniels would probably be #1 on my wish list too but I can't see why he'd leave Texas for New York. I know he's a home town boy but the front office/ownership situation with the Mets is just too much of a mess.

36. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    It's official, they are gone!

Now if we can beat the Pats tonight it would complete a great day!

Boik14 likes this.
  37. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that the Mets have fired manager Jerry Manuel and "relieved" GM Omar Minaya "of his duties."

A big, but unsurprising shakeup. Despite a massive payroll and major resources, the Mets have not reached the postseason since losing in the NLCS to the Cardinals back in 2006. Minaya is probably more to blame than Manuel, but it's for the best that they are both now gone and that new blood can be injected into the Citi Field front office. It sounds like there will be a wide-reaching search for replacements.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/top-posts/its-finally-official-manuel-and-minaya-are-gone.php

38. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I bet Ollie Perez will still be in the lineup next year....that's the Met's real problem. :tongue2:

OK, live press conference with the Wilpons (Fred and Jeff) on the Mike Francesa Show.

Sounds like John Ricco is the interim GM?

39. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    What a disaster that guy turned out to be.

40. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    The end of the Manaya era :cry: