1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009/2010 Mets. The Jerry is gone version!

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Boik14, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think Hamels is probably the one pitcher we can't afford to lose, but Moyer had more wins than Hamels last year and he will still be throwing when he is 50. Blanton had a good year and was a great pickup. Myers sucked early on in the year but came back strong after his AAA stint. We have some options with our #5 pitcher and I think Happ will get the last spot, and is going to have a big year. I would say the Mets have the edge in overall pitching, but I think it could go either way. We don't have our best lefty reliever (JC Romero) until June 1st but he will be nice and rested when we need him most. I just think the Phillies have more on offense than anyone else in the NL East. I know it is very hard to repeat but I think the Phillies will either win the NL East again or be no worse than the Wild Card. Good luck Boik and all you Met's fans. :up:

2. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I know Ray Ray....it's all good. :hi5: Looks like Dice K is having a good WBC and was mowing guys down. I just don't want the Yank-mes winning the AL East. I think a Phillies-Red Sox World Series would be great. This should have been the WS matchup in 2007 but the Rockies just got lucky at the end of the season and beat us in the NLDS.

3. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Who's Roman?????

:shifty:

4. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hey Greg.....you coming out to Crested Butte? Mighty fine skiing again this year. Roman is the #1 fan of the World Fricking Champions!!!!!
    Now we just need the Phins to win the Superbowl and I can die a happy man. :up:

5. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

No Butte this year, with me going to school we are barley getting by with our bills, well not even getting by, and my son starts college in Sept.

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm more worried about Dice mowing down the Rays and Yankees. Needless to say I'm rooting hard for Cuba tonight (or whenever they play Japan in the elimination round).

7. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA

They rhyme for a reason, just saying. :tongue2:

8. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA

I think that's the first time I've ever cheered for a Met. That was some good hitting.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  9. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    That Japanese pitcher was just mowing down Cuba....I think his name is
    Iwakuma? He could be the #1 starter for a lot of teams in MLB. It would be nice to see the USA team win it but Venezuela, Japan and Korea all have great teams.

10. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I wouldn't call a sweep luck.

11. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Mets made an offer to Pedro according to this: http://www.metsblog.com/2009/03/19/buzz-mets-made-an-offer-to-pedro/

At this point it looks like Livan has a grip on the 5 spot but with redding down with a sore shoulder and his return uncertain it doesnt look like a bad idea. The offer was well below pedro's $5 request though.

Also it looks like Nick Evans has taken to playing RF as well as 1B and LF now. He's been ripping the ball in camp and may yet push Marlon Anderson off the 25 man roster. I like Marlon but if Evans forces his way on to the roster this is a good thing. Evans just needs to improve vs LHP to be considered a real starting option for 1B next year if he does better vs LHP.

12. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I hope he signs with the Mets or Dodgers. I really don't think I'd be able to stand seeing one of the greatest pitchers ever in a Pirates uniform.

13. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The Rockies got lucky at the right time...I watch these turkeys all the time and they just got on a roll....last year they really fell off and without Matt Holliday and Jeff Francis (their 2nd best pitcher....forgetaboudit!!!!).

Looks like Met's catcher Brian Schneider is on the shelf. :shifty:

Posted on Fri, Mar. 20, 2009

Baseball Notes
    Mets' catcher on shelf with strained right calf

Associated Press

Mets catcher Brian Schneider is out indefinitely with a strained right calf.

Schneider was a late scratch from New York's game on Wednesday after waking up with pain and stiffness behind and above his right knee.

Schneider last played Sunday. He is batting .308 with one home run and five RBIs this spring training.

Meanwhile, outfielder Carlos Beltran and first baseman Carlos Delgado resumed workouts with the Mets following Puerto Rico's elimination from the World Baseball Classic.

Manager Jerry Manuel said he likely will give Beltran and Delgado a week of rest from games.

14. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    This man truly has a good head on his shoulders!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boik14 likes this.
  15. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Anyone else really worried about John Maine? I like Maine and think he still has a ton of upside but he definitely beats himself up too much. He still needs to learn how to just pitch and forget about the last one he threw. He has the stuff to be a solid 2/3 type but to achieve that hes going to have to be more efficient and stop trying to strike everyone out (AJ Burnett/Scott Kazmir syndrome). Im somewhat skeptical that one bullpen session has him fixed: http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/blog/2009/03/john_maine_fixed.html

That said I am also REALLY enthused by what I see out of Mike Pelfrey. Every time I have watched him this spring he just looks more and more like Brandon Webb or Tim Hudson (Oakland years). And now Warthen is letting him throw that knee buckling curve that Peterson wouldn't let him throw. I'll be stunned if he doesn't win AT LEAST 15 with an era of 3 or less.

Murphy seems to be making real strides on D. It looks like he will hit 2nd and Castillo 8th based on what Manual has been saying in the press (Newsday, Ny Daily News, NY Times...).

Im also starting to believe that Sean green will be a crucial piece to our en this year. The 6'7" is routinely hitting 94-95 in the strike zone. I think we have a 7th inning guy... :)

16. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Highlighting top Mets prospects for '09

We are breaking down the top five prospects for each organization for 2009, taking into consideration: games, at-bats, innings and major-league service time. We expect these players to have rookie status remaining heading into next year.

According to MLB rules: "A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the major leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a major league club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list)."

Note: Statistics are those at each stop in the minors this season and age represents how old they will be on opening day 2009.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybaseball/story/11116064

17. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Damn I cant wait til King Fernando gets to the bigs. The article compares him to Alex Ochoa and Jay Payton...these analysts are gonna get a big dose of 30 homers and 100 rbi for the next 15 years :)

And Brad Holt is a rocket firing Joba in waiting. And I have high hopes for Reese Havens as a Craig Biggio type 2B/C

18. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Damn I cant wait til King Fernando gets to the bigs. The article compares him to Alex Ochoa and Jay Payton...these analysts are gonna get a big dose of 30 homers and 100 rbi for the next 15 years :)

And Brad Holt is a rocket firing Joba in waiting. And I have high hopes for Reese Havens as a Craig Biggio type 2B/C

19. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Hopefully fangraphs will change our #5 ranking to #1 after the season. All in all its tough to disagree as there are spots on this team that just leave you wanting something more. With 4 of the top maybe 15-20 players in the game (Wright, Reyes, Beltran, Johan) its almost unfathomable how you cant assemble something more then a 88-90 win team despite having a 140+ million dollar payroll. Here's the article and the writer is generally very good: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/organizational-rankings

All in all, I agree with the rankings. The Wilpons only minus is their failure to go for the kill...ex: not going after Manny or at least Abreu this offseason to upgrade RF or getting a better pitcher then Ollie in the 3 slot.

Omar is a good GM, but better at the small trades then the big ones it seems....

20. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Murphy is tearing the cover off the ball this spring!

21. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Hes probably going to hit 2nd in the lineup this year. I think something the following should be pretty attainable:

15 hrs
    90 rbi
    90 runs scored
    35 doubles
    305 BA
    850 OPS (370OBP/480 SLG)

And what you love about the kid is is he has been putting in OT on his defense! :knucks:

22. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I have heard some rumors that Gary Sheffield is close to signing a deal with the NY Mets. I thought the Mets had a left fielder?

23. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He is going to platoon in RF

24. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Well if nothing else, hes not a wimp. He'll give this team some swagger. And lets hope he has something left in that ol' bat.

25. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Boston got 6 in the first off the Mets. The new Met's park looks much better than Shea. Looks like it is pitcher friendly....well not today, but it looks like a hitter really has to hammer it to get it out.

26. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    People liked to rag on Shea but I like it better then taxpayer field. This one is a lot more high class but Im there to see a ballgame not have amenities necessarily. :no:

The dimensions are similar to shea and it should be just as hard to hit the ball out.

27. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    My son is going to the open practice tomorrow.

28. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Wrights recruiting pitch was the difference in us getting Sheffield: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=4042473

Nice move by Wright. I agree Sheff brings a swagger and some attitude. He strikes fear just by reputation. Man, I hope hes got one more great season in him. What a difference maker he could be.

29. mixmaster_matt

mixmaster_matt New Member

May 18, 2008
    Nice to get that first win out of the way. It felt nice being confident in the bullpen today, and they did a great job. Santana had a hard first, then operated smoothly. Murphy got a HR, 2 rbis, and KROD gets the save. Only complaint was we left a lot of runners on but hey, its the first game and we are undefeated:knucks: Thank god baseball started.....

Boik14 likes this.
  30. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Its a cold nasty day. Santana looked good, and Murphy is a stud. Bullpen retires 10 of 11 batters (Green, Putz, KRod)

CC Sabathia got beat on today on Baltimore.

31. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I love opening day. Took the day off from work and went to ESPN Zone to drink some beer with a friend. Good stuff today from Johan, Murphy and the pen.

On the downside, Wright looked a bit rusty on the basepath (caught at home and caught leaning towards 2nd) and we still cant hit with runners in scoring position. This team has to find a killer instinct to put average teams away.

mixmaster_matt likes this.
  32. mixmaster_matt

May 18, 2008
    My only downside on the game. We should have had 8 runs at least this game, just kept on leaving em on. But I am optimistic that it will turn around.

33. mixmaster_matt

May 18, 2008
    Last night started to look eerily familiar. How many peoples hearts dropped when that final out was launched to the warning track? Man that bullpen made it interesting, especially K-rod. But we got the win, pelfrey hung in there after a horrible first inning. Good hitting, terrible pitching, and now we must sweep them today. Love these 12:30 games.

34. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Good grief Perez sucks. 3 more years of this booger? Remind me not to watch every 5th day.

On the good side:
    - It looks like Church is back to pre-injury Church
    - Delgado looks like he did post Willie firing and could be in for a big year
    - The bullpen today gave us a punchers chance to come back with 3 and 2/3rds scoreless from O day, Feliciano and I believe Stokes. We were down 8-4 and clawed back to 8-6.
    - Sheff k'ed looking in his first appearance as a Met; pinch hitting in the 9th. My guess is its going to take him some time to get going.

Better get the bats out for the next 3, the marlins score runs if nothing else.

I have high hopes for Maine overachieving this year and outperforming people's expectations. There is no reason he cant win 15 with something like a 3.5 era. He definitely suffers from Rich Harden/AJ Burnett/Scott Kazmir syndrome in that he tries to strike everyone out and when he doesnt he gets frazzled. Hopefully tomorrow is the start of something good for him.

35. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    1 down and two more to go. Mets aren't looking that dominant now, so watch out the Marlins will be in this all year.

Tonight will be awesome game to be at, as more than 40,000 expected.

36. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Thats so cute you guys had more then 40000 to watch the Mets win last night.

I think Manual nailed it in his post game presser; the marlins are a young, free swinging group and Livan did a good job moving the ball around. We actually got some timely hitting for a change as well and Castillo actually had a 4 hit game, his first since August 07. :up:

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  37. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Dolphin Stadium looked empty to me on TV. Awful lot of seats empty and when the Mets scored, it looked like what fans were at the game were standing and cheering.

38. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    just so you guys know endy chavez has been on a tear so far this year. his defense is how its always been, but his bat is hot right now!!

39. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Enjoy it while it lasts bro. I like endy and I think the majority of met fans feel the same but a great hitter he is not. Still I want him to do well because he is a very unselfish player.

40. mixmaster_matt

May 18, 2008
    Hey guys I went to the game last night, and I must say I loved the new stadium. Heard a lot of complaints on WFAN about limited views and whatnot, but I had no sight problems. I sat in section 419 and had a great time. I will write more later but I gotta get to work.

Boik14 likes this.