1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009: Beating Ourselves

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    We beat ourselves yet again. Two turnovers in the red zone and then that chuck in OT that turned into an INT. We had 468 yards to their 364. There were questionable calls [the flag on camarillo...I thought this was football?], but still. We had plenty of chances. And we never should have went for such a long pass with so much time on the clock. That is not our strength. It's another story when there's 3 minutes left in the game and your down.
    Flags can't be blamed on that Bills game. We all remember that, and we beat ourselves in that game as well-no need to even explain that one.

The Dolphins have been a tease this year. When you think they're down and out, they come back and make a run, only to beat themselves. The comeback today was amazing, but it doesn't overshadow all the points we left on the field.

As for the Playoff talk please dont get your hopes up. We'd need the Ravens, Broncos or Patriots to lose 2 more games. For what it's worth though the Raiders are beating the Broncos and the Bears aren't looking totally bad against the Ravens right now. Expect one to lose, the Dolphins to win next week and get our hopes up for the umpteenth time this season, only to throw the game away against the Steelers.

2. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    young qb young team
    hate the fact that i was right but figgered we wouldnt win out

3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I am sure Bill Parcells is chewing on Tum's and drinking Pepto Bismol by the Gallon.....so close, really, so close.

The good feeling is that he knows what the missing parts are and what will be improved.

We are close...real close. I believe it!

4. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    pretty much agree, we have beat ourselves a lot more then other teams have beat us. We really need to do a better job of holding on to the ball.

5. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Very close but September is still very far away. I'm getting anxious for a Super Bowl considering it's been 25 years and I wasn't alive. It better come in 2010.

Dolfans next week just watch the game and dont pay attention to the other games scoreboards. We're not technically eliminated yet, so my plan is to just watch our game first then look at the scores after.

6. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    What are we, Jet fans?

The better team won today, we didn't beat ourselves. Give some credit where its due, that team was the #1 seed in the AFC last year and they're playing pretty good football now after a horrendous start.

Disnardo likes this.
  7. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    They get lots of credit. But we still turned the ball over way too many times, when you turn the ball over that much and lose in OT because of it it's still considered beating yourself.

eric likes this.
  8. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I dont buy that.....2 RZ trips and a 3rd just outside it took winning points off the board. Turnovers equal beating oneself anyway you slice it - especially in OT game. This isnt about who is better, and credit is due for TENN pulling out a W, but Phins failed to execute and protect the football when winning points were within reach.

We beat ourselves bigtime.

eric and jetssuck like this.
  9. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Why did the Dolphins fail to execute and protect the football, though? Tennessee forced the mistakes, and then capitalized on them.

To say that we beat ourselves, removes the credit entirely away from Tennessee.

Did the Patriots beat themselves two weeks ago in Miami with Brady throwing the INT in the endzone to Vontae? Don't sell Tennessee short in this one, they were the better team.

More to the point, using your logic, has anyone in NFL history lost to a better team? Outside of a 50 point thrashing, do they all qualify as "beating yourself"?

10. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I am not trying to take anything away from TENN, but being that contact occurs on everyplay, and a turnover doesnt happen on every play, the responsibility to protect the ball in scoring zones lie with the offense and not the defense.

Yes, NE beat itself on that play for sure. Being that TEN was 13-3 last year, and we were 11-5, and we are now both 7-7, I wouldnt say one team was BETTER than the other. We were equal, and the difference was our turnovers, thus we tilted the scales by beating ourselves in this instance. Logically, I am not concerned with the HISTORY OF THE NFL and any other game but this one.

When you come back from 18 down - following those 3 key turnovers - to force overtime, and reflection shows that any points on the board in place of those turnovers would lead to victory. Since the offense is responsible to protect the football, then yes, they beat themselves.

I can look at it both ways....

1) I think we were equally matched and we had 3 key turnovers to erase points. We beat ourselves

or

2) We took a BETTER team in some's estimation when on the road, coming from 18pts down in the 4th QTY into OT.

I like our team, this loss hurts, but we are close, very close.

11. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Well thought out and to the point...

Most fans still see Tenn as the team that started 0-6 and not the one that was 13-3 last year...and was a very scary team to play against...

Vince Young was their main man today instead of Kerry Collins, he threw only a few pretty perfectly placed balls today, but those throws got them 14 and 2 me that was the main difference... there is no defense when the ball is perfectly place and the receivers make the catches...

And on the Jets fan reference FFiPL... funny most of them say the same thing, "we keep beating ourselves" and give very little or no credit to the other teams...

We played against a very good AFC team today, coming back from a horrible start to the season....

We played them without our season starting QB, RB, NT, and CB... and tied the game when we should have folded...

That my friend is a sign of a maturing team...a winning team... a never surrender, never retreat team...

This team has gone into 31 games since the beginning of the 2008 Season and never once felt that they were intimidated by any opponent...they are very well coached and faught hard with the talent available...

We should all be proud of what they have accomplished, even though the outcomes at times have not been desirable...

I am happy and proud to be a Miami Dolphins Fan and will be there in the last 2 home games to support their effort...

Trowa likes this.