1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 Dolphin's Draft Slots per Round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by BigDogsHunt, Dec 21, 2009.

1. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    http://www.draftnotebook.com/traded%20picks.htm

Just doing some early cleaning why we wait for this upcoming Week 16 games to fight to qualify for our playoff lives.

Per this site, to recap, we own our standard

RD Picks
    1, 2, 3, 4,5, 6, and 7 round allotments

But want to make sure I am not missing anything:

1) We receive an extra 6th from Washington for the Jason Taylor trade from last year

2) We receive an extra 7th from Kansas City for swapping out of 7th round last year

3) We owe KC an unknown pick for Thigpen trade
    4) We receive an unknown pick from KC for OL trade

Anyone recalls the specifics of when these UNKNOWNS get calculated and defined? I guess after the season to determine playing time, performance, etc?

This site seems up to date, but are we missing anything???

EDIT: (9 total picks, not including any compensatory end of rounds 3-7)

1st #12 in round
    2nd #11 in round (#43 overall)
    3rd #10 in round (#74 overall)
    4th #12 in round
    5th (to KC for Thigpen - #11 in round)
    6th (from KC for Alleman/Ndukwe - #4 in round )
    6th (from WAS for Taylor -#5 in round)
    6th - #10 in round
    7th (from KC for our '09 7th - #5 in round)
    7th - #12 in round

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    2) is because we gave up a 7th rder last draft, not sure what TE you mean.

3. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    So, we gave our 7th last year to KC to get their 7th this year? We do have all our standard allotment correct?

The site says we get the KC 7th for TE Jake O'Connell

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I believe we owe the Cowboys a 7th for Ferguson?

5. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Ok, not going crazy, I thought that too, but the site doesnt list, and they sure list a lot and seem to be on top of things, including next 2011 draft.

maybe we dont??

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think what happened with that was we swapped draft position with the Chiefs and they gave us a #7 pick this year for our trouble.

7. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Who's Jake O'Connell?

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    :dunno:

KC used our pick on Succup a kicker.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He was drafted by the Chiefs with the draft pick.

10. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Ohhh, you and Padre31 are gonna fight, fight, fight....

:lol:....ok, so do we have all out standard allotments 1 pick per each round this year (7 total)?

And we seem to get 3 extra (owe 1) for a total of 9 picks so far this upcoming draft?

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
  12. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
  13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    We don't. That was last year.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  14. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    We traded our 5th round pick to KC for Thigpen. Great trade for us as we would have used a mid-to-late round pick on a QB anyway and its very possible that Thigpen is as good or better than anybody we might have drafted.

Yes. Could be the seventh pick in the 6th round which would be nice. :up:

Not quite. We traded our 7th round pick in 2009 for Kansas City's 7th round pick in 2010. KC used that pick to draft TE Jake O'Connell from Miami (OH).

It was our 5th round pick.

We traded Alleman and Ndukwe for Kansas City's 6th round pick in 2010. Could be the sixth pick in the 6th round which would be very cool. Its very possible we will have back to back picks early in the 6th round.

Its also possible that Ireland likes to have extra 6th and 7th round picks to bundle into trades.

The UNKNOWNS are already known but they probably won't be officially listed on the NFL website until a few days before the draft.

The Cowboys gave us Ferguson in exchange for a 6th round draft pick in the 2009 draft. Plus we swapped 6th round picks in 2008 since ours was higher. The Cowboys used those picks to draft Erik Walden in 2008 and Stephen Hodge in 2009. We drafted Donald Thomas in 2008 and picked up Walden as free agent. :yes:

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  15. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Thanks Big Red so....

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, (5th traded to KC for Thigpen), 6th, 6th (WAS for Taylor), 6th (KC for Alleman/Ndukwe), 7th and 7th (KC for our '09 7th)

Big Red likes this.
  16. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    nope, we gave them our 7th round pick last year for their 7th in 2010. The TE the site mentions is the guy KC picked with the pick we traded to them.

Big Red likes this.
  17. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

that looks about right, it would nice if we could figure out a way to get an extra 2nd and or 3rd. 9 picks is a lot of picks... :up:

Big Red likes this.
  18. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You got it. :up:

I prefer to list it like this.

1st
    2nd
    3rd
    4th
    6th (from KC for Alleman/Ndukwe)
    6th (from WAS for Taylor)
    6th
    7th (from KC for our '09 7th)
    7th

Since that is the order it will most likely occur.

I'm also hoping for a compensatory pick for Vonnie Holliday, Matt Roth, Andre Goodman, Renaldo Hill, or even Ernest Wilford although I've never fully understood how they are determined.

Also I'd love to trade Ginn, Crowder, or Gibril Wilson for a 3rd, 4th, or 5th. Or maybe we could get a 7th for Pennington since last I heard he still wants to play.

19. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    No they didn't. They used our pick to draft TE Jake O'Connell. KC used the last pick in the draft (a compensatory pick) to draft Succop. For the last few years the last pick in the draft has always been a compensatory pick.

20. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Players who are cut you don't get credit for.

Pennington is untradeable as he is no longer under contract after the year.

Big Red likes this.
  21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Which is what I said, "this year"' is Draft 2010.

Hmm...as for the Succop pick, I recall OmarK or one of the bloggers mentioning that Ireland did not like anyone still left on the board and they swapped with KC and the pick was Succup.

Oh well, either way.

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Regarding the 7th rounder we gave to KC last year for a 7th this year, that's a-typical inasmuch as usually you get bumped a round for trading into the future, but in this case Ireland did it because KC needed the pick and every single player on our entire draft board had been picked already. There's a lot of back scratching going on between the Dolphins and Chiefs. Not only is Pioli the son-in-law of Parcells, but Sparano and Haley are pretty tight as well. When they need something we have, we give it to them at cost, and vice versa.

Regarding the compensatory picks, my opinion is we MAY get a 6th or 7th rounder from the NFL. The way the formula works is the NFL tallies all players who reached free agency and switched teams as a result of their contract expiring. That's the way the spirit of the system dictated that it be set up. The whole system was set into place to compensate teams for losing players as a result of the system of free agency that has been set in place for the last 20 years or whatever. Even before free agency, players got cut and picked up by other teams. What didn't necessarily happen was a player's contract expiring and being able to sign with anyone afterward.

Short story short, the only players that left Miami for another team on expiring contracts were Andre Goodman, Renaldo Hill and Al Johnson. The players that joined Miami on expiring contracts were Jake Grove, Joe Berger and Eric Green.

Eric Green and Al Johnson will be tossed out of the model because they never made it out of training camp with their new team.

So what level of compensation we get, if any, will depend on how they view our having lost Renaldo Hill, and having gained Joe Berger. Hill has started every game in Denver (which I believe is a factor in the model) and has a four year, $10 million contract with $3 million signing bonus (which I know is a factor in the model). Berger signed a much cheaper deal, and was a backup until Grove got hurt, which caused him to start the last four games (a trend I don't expect to continue next week).

I say that's worth a 6th or 7th...probably a 7th. But the formula can be tricky. They may say it's worth nothing.

23. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great explanation. Thanks!!! So because their contracts hadn't expired Vonnie Holliday, Matt Roth, and Ernest Wilford don't factor in.

24. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Nope. But neither do Gibril Wilson or Jason Taylor.

Big Red likes this.
  25. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    And there's no way we're dealing Channing Crowder.

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Can't imagine that. The coaches love him.

If they deal anyone don't expect it to be a big name, expect it to be someone like Joey Haynos for a low round pick, or something along those lines.

27. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Just to tack this on, just for fun.

Is there any chance we trade Will Allen prior to the draft? The draft isn't exactly loaded with great corners, and may be we feel we can live with what we have and adding another medium level piece to the unit.

Just throwing it out there as I don't know exactly who will now become the nickel back if Will Allen does return. Davis has played well enough to warrant consideration as a starter next year, as has Smith. They are both inconsistent, some may be due to being rookies, so does Will Allen figure into our plans given how both of these youngsters have played?

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know if I can remember any team trading for a player off a torn ACL, with the exception of us after Dante Culpepper's torn ACL.

It's just not generally done.

If I were Miami though I would explore the possibility of trading present picks for future picks. As Boomer and I have discussed in the past, it seems that this college group is unusual inasmuch as many of the top players at their position are freshmen or sophomores. Guys like Jonathan Baldwin, Julio Jones, A.J. Green, Michael Floyd, Mark Ingram, Dion Lewis, Dennis Johnson, Rob Gronkowski, Andrew Luck, Ryan Mallett, DaQuan Bowers, Robert Quinn, Patrick Peterson, Ray Ray Armstrong and Janzen Jackson.

Tack on guys that are probably staying in school like Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, the Pouncey brothers, Kris O'Dowd, Orlando Franklin, Rodney Hudson, Everson Griffen, Cameron Heyward, Marvin Austin, Allen Bailey, Mark Herzlich...

I don't think I've ever walked into a draft with such a clear picture of just how much NFL talent many of these sophomores and even freshmen have, and what they'll bring to future drafts. I think it's because many of them are just better than a lot of what is about to come out.

Future draft picks will not only have valuable talent, but will probably be cheaper too from a salary standpoint, especially the top draft picks. I'm tired of New England being the only team in the division that keeps acquiring future draft picks on sweetheart deals, and approaching the draft with loads and loads of draft picks.

29. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    All things considered - and depending on whether there is a draft, the 2011 and 2012 drafts look as stacked as any in the past decade for all the reasons Chris mentions. When you have a QB like Luck who already is as good as any QB in the nation, a back like Ingram who won the Heisman, wideouts like Baldwin and Jones, a stack of quality linemen, a bag of studs like Heyward, Austin, Bowers, Herzlich who pre-cancer was a top 5 pick AT WORST, Peterson who might be the best CB in the nation already. Throw in your Bulaga's, Wisniewski, Ryan Miller, John Clay, DeDe Brown, Trinton Sturvidant, Josh Oglesby, Don't'a Hightower, etc. The list is endless. There are some special classes coming.

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Add onto that the probability that a 2011 first round pick will not cost you as much salary as a 2010 first round pick...

Well, I was of the mind that Belichick had taken that into consideration when he traded Seymour for a 2011 first round pick.

But evidently he asked for the 2010 pick and Al Davis (stupidly) said no, gave up the 2011 pick instead.

31. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Good old Al. Nothing if not consistent.

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Can't complain. Whatever (slim to none) playoff hopes the Dolphins have remaining are sourced in the Raiders having upset the Broncos in Denver, and in Week 17 they get to play the Ravens at home and possibly deal us another round of playoff help.

33. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    If they play anything like they've been doing for about the past 6 weeks, then we have a shot. I suppose it all depends on who's playing QB. And speaking of QB's, I missed out Tom Savage of Rutgers as a high first rounder for 2012.

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah I'm not sure if I'm aboard the Savage wagon just yet. I'm sure I'll get there but the two times I really looked at him this year, he was pretty bad actually.

35. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

sorry, I read your original post as we swapped picks in 09 and the Chefs threw in a 7th for the swap.

36. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    who would want him?

37. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Freshman blues I hope. Against South Florida he was very good.

38. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    He's actually playing pretty well

ssmiami likes this.
  39. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    In run defense yeah. In pass defense....just like the rest of our LB's he leaves a lot to be desired.

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Channing just had a really good day in pass coverage against the Titans.

I wonder if he's only just now getting healthy.