1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 free agency database here

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by padre31, Jan 15, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
  2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Looking at the UFA list, the two most attractive names are Karlos Dansby and Kevin Walter.

I won't really consider the RFAs until we know there's a CBA or we know what they've been tendered at.

3. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Kevin Walter = Greg Camarillo....

texanphinatic and SJ2100 like this.
  4. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

IMO, the strongest position (UFA) is the NT position. You have Wilfork, Hampton, Pickett and Franklin. Personally, wouldn't mind seeing us go after Hampton to split time with Soliai.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    We have 3 Kevin Walters on the team already. At best hes a #2, and not what we need. Besides, I would expect him to resign with Houston assuming they dont do a late firing of Kubiak.

Either of his 2 FA teammates (Owen Daniels/DeMeco Ryans) would both be far better pickups.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Maybe just Hampton mroz, Wilfork and Franklin will be franchised and Pickett was close to an extension in GB.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Walter is way down my list of desires but other than Antonio Bryant there's not much on the UFA WR list.

Having said that, he's no Cam. He at least has the size (6'3" 215) and speed (4.4) to potentially be a #1.

8. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Is that the word with Wilfork? I'm really not interested in him. I've seen him take far too many cheap shots at QB's legs from the ground to ever want him on my team.

9. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I agree Raffy! :up:

I agree with that too Raffy.

The difference between Walter and any other receiver we have is his rare combination of size and speed. He would give us a playmaker, and someone for opposing defenses to focus on in the red zone. I'd love to have him. Although, admittedly adding him would likely mean letting Camarillo go.

And, Dansby would look awfully good next to McClain in the middle of our D. :yes:

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, he wants a longterm deal, they want to franchise him.

Ireland brought up a key, just hugely important point, they also are going to wait and see if some teams take advantage of the no salary cap situation to dump some players we would be interested in.

My gut is telling me Ocho Cinco may be walking around unemployed along with some other highly paid, underperforming or not enough bang for the buck players, L Coles, S Moss.

11. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Great. If that happens, I can hear it now...Phins Nation will be clamoring for Ocho Stinko. And, I absolutely want no part of him. I just cannot stand his all about me shenanigans. Dude ain't right, no matter how good a receiver he may be. And, even at that, I can think of better receivers.

JMHO...

12. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I watch Walter pretty frequently as I lived in the Houston area for awhile, and hes never impressed me much really. I know hes bigger and faster, but his game plays similar to me. I dont think he would be what we need, and the money he would command would be best spent elsewhere.

Like I said, Id be surprised if he doesnt get lured back to Houston. Hes good as a compliment to Johnson there.

13. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    http://mia.scout.com/2/938088.html

The Scout.com free agent database debuts, with a whopping 31 of the top 50 free agents being restricted. “It’s not going to be the great free agency that people and some of the players expect,” Scout.com NFL insider Adam Caplan said of free agency, which starts March 5.

Scout.com’s Free Agent Rankings are out, and one thing’s for certain: If your team wants a top free agent, it’s going to cost it dearly.

Because of the new rules brought about by the owners opting out of the collective bargaining agreement, the timeline to become an unrestricted free agent has moved from four years of accrued experience to six. Because of that fundamental change, the vast majority of the top free agents will be restricted. In this year’s Scout.com rankings, 31 of the top 50 are restricted. Last year, only three of the top 50 were restricted.

A recent review by The Associated Press found that 212 players who would have been unrestricted free agents now will be restricted. That list includes eight Pro Bowlers: receivers Miles Austin and Brandon Marshall, linebackers Elvis Dumervil and DeMeco Ryans, safety Nick Collins, guards Logan Mankins and Jahri Evans, and fullback Leonard Weaver.

So, barring a late deal, there will be no salary cap but fewer quality players to spend the money on when free agency opens on March 5. And that list of attractive unrestricted free agents figures to get shorter. Rather than being able to use a franchise tag (average salary of top five players at position; two first-rounders as compensation) or transition tag (average salary of top 10 players at position; no compensation but seven days to match offer), teams will get a franchise tag and two transition tags. Thus, a team could practically lock up three of its unrestricted free agents instead of just one.

That means bidding will be hot and heavy for the top unrestricted free agents who reach the open market.

“The first thing you’ve got to know is there’s no limit to what teams can spend,” said Scout.com senior NFL reporter Adam Caplan, who compiled the free agent rankings. “Is that going to affect a lot of teams? Probably not, because they’re not going to go crazy. First of all, if you look at the list of unrestricted guys, it’s not a very strong list. Is it going to be more toward restricted free agents and will those guys get a lot of interest? I think more than usual, absolutely.”

The new rules do not impact a team’s right to match another team’s offer to its restricted free agents by making a qualifying offer. There are four tender levels — original-round compensation ($1.01 million last year), second round ($1.545 million), first round ($2.198 million) and first and third round ($2.792 million).

That combination of money and draft picks generally was enough to scare away suitors. Last year, for instance, none of the 55 restricted free agents changed teams. But without a salary cap and because the majority of the top players are restricted, that figures to change.

Another interesting change is the “Final Eight Plan,” which prevents the top teams from buying a championship. The eight remaining playoff teams can sign an unrestricted free agent only after losing one, and the player they’re signing can’t get more money than the player they lost. That rule, however, does not apply to restricted free agents.