1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2011 Draft Class

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Dec 19, 2011.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    With this season coming to an end I wanted to go back and look at the Draft class Jeff Ireland put together:

1.) Mike Pouncey - First off, this wasn't a sexy pick that everyone wanted and expected. That being said, you can't argue with a rookie that has come in started all year for us and has played very, very well all season. Pouncey will be an important part of our offensive line for the next 10 years. Pouncey has been good all around in both pass blocking and run blocking. He plays through the whistle and has a great attitude. He is really athletic and will get even better in his second year. Can pull from the Center position which increases the number of plays we can run. I think if we added even an average right tackle and a good left guard we would have a top 10, possible top 5 offensive line. Personally, I still wish we would have tried him out at LG, but overall I am really happy with this pick.

2.) Daniel Thomas - I was really excited about this pick and think so far his production has been about average. He has been injured and missed a lot of time because of that, but you could see his potential when he was playing. This is a guy that's best football is ahead of him. He has only been playing HB two or three years now if I recall correctly. This is great for the fact that he doesn't have too much wear and tear on his body just yet and the fact that he is only going to get better. He has great vision and gets to the hole fast. Has had some fumbling problems, but this should get better with more reps. Also I have been somewhat disappointed by his inability to get a yard or two in those tough 3rd downs. Might have to work on his power running when there isn't a hole to work with. Solid hands so far. I am excited to see how he looks next year or in 2013. My only knock is that with him not being a really strong, powerful runner he might not be the best compliment to Reggie Bush.

3.) No 3rd round pick.

4.) Edmond Gates - While he hasn't seen the field much behind Brandon Marshall, Davone Bess, and Brian Hartline he has made an impact on special teams. He averages 25.1 yards per kick return and has a long of 77. I think if he develops and sees the field as a WR it could help stretch the defenses out. Overall, even with his production on special teams he has been worth this pick.

5.) No 5th round pick

6.) Charles Clay - Very, Very versatile and has been used all over in various formations. Creates mismatches. Has good hands and can make the tough catch. Has been getting more and more involved with the offense as the season has progressed and looks to have a bright future ahead. Can't wait to watch him develop.

7a.) Frank Kearse - He didn't end up making our roster, but when you look at all of our quality depth on the defensive line it should be a surprise. He ended up making the Panthers active roster and has seen some game time there. For a 7th round pick this was a great pick that you can't argue against. It is a shame we didn't have the space to keep him.

7b.) Jimmy Wilson - Could be my favorite pick of this draft. All preseason I kept hearing about this guy during camp, then when I finally got to see him in action during preseason I was very, very impressed. He has the speed and agility to hang with anyone and always seemed to be in the right position. He plays the role of a gunner on special teams and has made countless plays there. Already has 15 tackles, 5 pass deflections, and 1 INT. I feel like you can watch this kid get better every single game. He will provide great depth and could eventually start for us years down the road. Such a great pick after 234 players had been taken before him.

Overall, Ireland put together a damn fine draft class. I have always been an Ireland supporter and still think he can help us right the ship. His abilities in the draft are incredible, every single player that he drafted this year made an NFL roster including 3 picks in the 6th and 7th round. I like the way he isn't afraid to move up or down to get a player we want in the draft. All in all, I think Ireland deserves a lot more credit than most people give him. He may not have drafted the fast, flashy players we wanted with each pick but he did a damn fine job. :up:

2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I generally liked the draft class. I see center as a core position. You find a great one on just about every dynasty. You can find great centers late, but if you have such a highly ranked player at a core position, it's almost never a mistake to take him.

The Thomas pick fit a specific and logical plan. They had him highly rated and traded up to get him. He wasn't my first choice in that I liked Kendall Hunter. I probably would have stayed put and added Hunter, and either Ahmad Black (S) or Yates (QB). In retrospect Yates would have been the obvious choice, but at the time those were the two I liked with that #146 pick.

I really liked the Gates pick in that spot. He's raw and will take time to develop, but I don't generally find it pays to spend big on #2 WRs.

I had never heard of Clay, but I'm happry with the pick. I had targeted Virgil Green (TE) in that spot.

Of the rest Wilson has been a nice find. I don't know if he'll develop or not, but it was a good gamble there.

dolfan7171 and SCall13 like this.
  3. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    que?

4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Looking at the QB's, I don't see a reasonably available option that would have made a great impact beyond Dalton. Not sure if he'll ever be anything more than a solid QB though.

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I'd say overall a good draft. Not sure how I feel moving up to take Thomas but he has shown flashes what he is capable of. Now we just move and take Barkley or RG3 and it will be most excellent.

6. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    My view of the draft is:

Pouncey- A decent pick who will be a starter for several years but not at a pro bowl level. This was a good pick, but not a great pick.
    Thomas- He had two good games earlier in the season and hasn't done much in the rest of the games he has played. I think he was a reach in the second round and I don't see him as the RB of the future for the Dolphins. I don't consider this a good pick, especially when the Dolphins had to give up their third round pick to move up to make this selection.
    Gates- I don't know if he will ever be more then a kick returner in the NFL, and he is just average at best in this category. So far I would consider this a very iffy pick.
    Clay- He may end up be a very productive pick as a sixth round pick. A lot will be determined by the type of offense implemented by the new offensive coordinator next year. I feel Clay was certainly worth a sixth round pick.
    Kearse- Wasted pick since he did not make the team.
    Wilson- Could end up being one of the steals in the 2011 draft . He still has to show that he can become a productive player in the secondary on a regular basis.

Right now I would give this draft a grade of,"C".

7. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I am talking about his style of running. He has the body and build to be a big strong running back, but hasn't shown the ability to lower his shoulder and run over someone, the ability to power forward for 2-3 yards when there isn't a whole, etc.

8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

He is so even keeled and consistent. He has a high floor, and looks to have a ceiling fairly close to that floor. He reminds me a lot of Jon Kitna circa 2003.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The play that Jimmy Wilson made on special teams yesterday, was just that, special...The athletc ability and instinct on display during it, gives me hope for that kid to be more than everyone expected..I think we need to play him at safety and let him run around and use those instincts and athletic ability, we already know he'll try and rip ur head off if he has a chance..Would really love to get that kid as much playing time as possible..I wish Bowles would put let him and culver switch responsibilities.

I think with an offseason of strength training, Pouncey has a chance to be more than solid..He's got perfect size for the position, he's very athletic, very balanced, {rarely see him on the ground}, and very tenacious in his play..Pro bowl potential..

Daniel Thomas has dissapointed me in the 2nd half...maybe its a lingering injury involved here but the kid is not flashing like he did early, it was a brief flash, but it was there..lets hope this kids mind and heart is right..I know his coaches at Kstate think and describe him as a beast''...well, thats not the kind of nature I'am seeing at this point.

Something switched in Gates's head about midseason...He started to engage is top end speed at first cut, and has looked like a different returner because of it..He's 25 freakin years old, so he better get his *** in the gym this offseason, add some good size, and go for it..I know he's humble, and I know his body can do great things from an explosive standpoint, so I don't want to give up on that sort of combination, but like I said, he's gonna be 26 next year,lets go brother..