1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2011 draft prospects

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by adamprez2003, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Sucks balls we don't have a 2.

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If we can't get a QB we like, I hope we can trade back for a 2 (and get Wisniewski).

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Find myself thinking along those lines, just doesnt seem so explosive, yet iam always watchin him run and catch, lol... also, his body, there is somethin about his body that seems unorthodox..like there's no way that body can be explosive...its weird.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    They put him in position, he's really an excellent athlete. I just think at the next level he's going to have to be more than a good athlete.

5. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    No kidding.

If people are really down on Weeden to where they think it'd be nuts to take a 27 year old at #15, then I say screw it trade down like we did last year, pick up that extra 2nd rounder, and still get Weeden.

ssmiami likes this.
  6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I want Owen Marecic in a bad way. Originally I've wanted him to replace Polite....... but now I think if you move him to OLB and give him a couple years to settle in, that he can become a Clay Matthews type impact player when he can focus on 1 position. He has the make-up IMO. The guy probably saves his motor a bit so that he can go both ways all game, so I can't imagine how relentless he would be at OLB when he can unleash himself every down.

7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I like Blackmon's ability to create separation with just his body to help nullify tight coverage.

8. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If we're talking big, physical WRs, then I'm still for Little first and foremost. I probably wouldn't take Julio in the 1st if I could have Little in the 3rd or 4th.... and the more I think about it, the more I believe that Marshall would benefit more from a pure receiver like Blackmon instead of Julio. If Sparano is staying and we're continuing this "moving the chains 10 yards at a time" philosophy based on a strong ground game, then I feel Julio might be a better fit (but not 100% certain yet).

1 thing I do like about Julio is his deceptive speed where you think you're with him and then all of a sudden you're not. If he can become a good route runner, then IMO he can become an excellent pro.

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    andrew luck is disgusting.

Boomer, PhinsRDbest and Fin-Omenal like this.
  10. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

Double disgusting.

I bet half of Carolina is walking around town with chubbys and THO right now.

11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He does have a big nose and no chin. What's your point?

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Yup. This town is getting a really good QB. They are buzzing.

Now they did trade a 2nd round pick for armanti edwards.....maybe theyll swap 1's and take henne?!?! :shifty:

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Gabbert is closer to the next Marino IMO.

14. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    luck is next manning. manning won a superbowl. ill take luck.

/prepares anus for raping of dolfans

15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Fine....Gabbert is the next Marino with a better ground game and upgraded defense who would've won 4 SBs. :shifty:
    Beat that!!

16. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Luck is a product of the system.... :omg:

17. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    ronnie and ricky are free agents..................

ToddsPhins likes this.
  18. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    of a pro system.......

19. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sooo ... basically all the males then...

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Gabbert better than Luck? Owen Marecic an NFL OLB in a 3-4? You been drinking again, Todd?

Boomer, ToddsPhins and alen1 like this.
  21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Mikel LeShoure is expected to enter the NFL Draft.

22. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, I'd still like a pure ILB to replace Crowder in the defense.

23. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What I like about Gabbert and Weedon is their ability to get the ball out of their hand, that pass is coming out one way or another.

But, I'd take Gabbert quickly if he fell to #15, light on his feet, quick release, frame to grow a bit, but can he go from Mizzou's wide open offense to a NFL offense?

That I do not know about him, that is Luck's real edge on him, but then again, Bradford played in a similar offense at OU and had little problem transitioning to the NFL.

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Bradford was not foreign to snaps under center, really. He took some at Oklahoma in games but he practiced them a ton in practices. He said it himself; they practiced every day.

25. dolfan22

Today on ESPN radio they were reviewing the Orange Bowl , QB's for the draft , well football in general ... yeah !

Anyway , one of the things that came out was that Trent Dilfer thinks Luck is as good as it gets since Elway and Marino.

He not only breaks down game film , but he lives 20 minutes from Stanford and has watched multiple practices. He says he is/ was challeneged both mentally and physically in these and that off the field he is kind of like Opie , he is fierce between the lines.

Mike Golic also is very high on him and they reviewed QB's over the last number of years. He said the only one he places at the same level is Aaron Rogers.

Now this may not be as newsworthy until the fact that during Rogers draft , Golic had him number one overall . Quite apart from what almost everyone else had him rated at draft time.

They also think Harbaugh is off to the NFL , that Sparano is staying and that Luck should and will declare.

Miami will have QB options move up , stay at 15 or trade down , there are interesting , intriquing QB's in all 3 spots imo.

They should be assertive and strong in their conviction , imo.

26. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Luck and Gabbert are the only two QBs I am sure I would take at #15 or trade up for. But I have Luck in a special category. He is my highest rated prospect since Aikman. I have Luck rated higher than Peyton Manning was when he came out. What's special about Luck is his balance. That's the quality that Montana and Brady have/had. It makes every thing they do seem effortless and makes fans think that it must be the system, but the balance is the key. Luck is always over his feet. People talk about QBs resetting their feet to throw, they did it a lot with VT's QB, but some guys never have to reset b/c they're always in a position to throw. Luck is one of those guys. That's why it rarely looks like he's making an athletic play or like he's getting the ball off extremely fast. Sure, Luck is a great athlete as well. He has impressive size and speed. That's what poor evaluators will focus on. But what really makes him a great athlete is his balance. And that's before we even get to his passing skills. Those are excellent, by the way. I see no weakness. There are things that could obviously improve, but he is good to very good at everything. The one knock I could think of is that Luck is in a very good system so the system can make him look better than he is, but I think he's the real deal. And one more thing to factor in. With a rookie salary cap a foregone conclusion for next season, the prohibitive premium for a top 5 pick is effectively eliminated. IMO Luck is one of those special guys. I don't think it's feasible, but if it were there's probably nothing I wouldn't trade to get him.

27. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Washington D.C
    I watched a little bit of Cameron Newton and thinks he has a lot of work beofre he is ready to go at the next level. I have seen ball placement mentioned quite a few times on here and from what I saw of newton his is not very good. I see some people saying Gabbert could fall to the end of R1 and that is just absurd. We could have a shot at Mallett but I'd pass. How about the Broncos send us Orton and Pick #34 in exchange for pick #15?

28. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Washington D.C
    We don't have the ammo to trade up. To move from #15 to #1 is going to cost you a HUGE price that could be qual to #15, Brandon Marshall, Jake Long, and Vontae Davis. This hasn't been discussed but you can catch my drift...

29. dolfan22

How about no.

30. dolfan22

We absolutely have the ammo to trade up. Number 1 overall would be a STEEP price , but could be done . Do you have the bullets to trade up for QB 2 and QB 3 ? Of course Miami does.

Just a matter how much of a conviction Miami has and how important they value rectifying the QB position. For me , they can't value that high enough.

31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :lol: Maybe.

I know Luck is definitely more of a "sure thing", but I believe Gab has some serious upside as a pure passer, and since this is a fan base who will never be happy until we have Marino 2.0, I'd think Gab would be greatly welcomed here. Plus I don't want to think about Luck when he's not in our cards.

Yes, I know, the Marecic idea is a reach, but IMO that's where he can make his biggest impact. I'm almost positive the kid has Tourette's. Along with that comes some OCD & ADD issues...... and maybe a little bi-polar, not to mention an overactive brain that will allow him to excel in certain mental situations when his OCD kicks in. All of this is what helps him play both ways at a high level (including game preparation). His mind has the ability to absorb like a sponge, and his OCD will push him to be a master technician at whatever position he ends up playing. He will eat, breathe, and sleep the position until he's mastered it. He seems to be a natural at understanding the nuances of the game and translates them onto the field, and he's as much of a smart player as he is a physical player. He understands leverage, pad level, etc (like when he smacks Evans in the hole, gets under him, stands him up, turns Evans hips to get him off balance, and then pulls him down backwards to prevent any forward momentum).

If he has some bi-polar to go with it, then he can turn into that beast mode at game time ala John Randle. He's as relentless as Clay Matthews and has a motor that doesn't freakin quit. IMO if you put him at a position that deals with 1 on 1 battles that rely on lots of technique and skill, then he could eventually become a stud. Not to mention, he's incredibly astute & intelligent; he has the type of brain that will allow him to see a tackle's tendencies, set them up, work them all game long, and create some big plays from it b/c very few guys will be able to compete with him on the chess-match aspect of the game.

I'd love to have him as a FB, but IMO he could make a bigger future impact at OLB. My only concern would be his size.

32. dolfan22

How much have you seen? You are saying then , he is not accurate?

33. dolfan22

Big stages , big QB's , big time opportunity , be very interesting to watch tonight and next Monday.

Just my opinion , but I have zero qualms about Newton as a QB I would take at 15 or higher. I certainly think Mallett will go in this are as well.

Enough of the lipstick on the pig , we need a better looker at QB , period. We haven't addressed that properly since 83 , and we were extremely lucky Marino lasted to the end of round one, it was luck , not smart management.

Let's be smart please.

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Bi-polar a good thing? That didn't work out so well for us the last time we had a guy like that (Demetrius Underwood).

Your ONLY concern is size? Boy do I think you've talked yourself into convertible for Alaskan weather on this one.

35. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Anyone doubting Andrew Luck is a mental. I really like Blaine Gabbert, but Luck's way out there ahead of him. He's as can't miss as any prospect I've graded SINCE Peyton IMO.

And Stretch, I really don't agree with you about Cam Newton's ball placement. His ball placement is generally excellent; he's a much more accurate passer than Mallett for example. There's a throw in the SEC title game that was actually dropped by Darvin Adams in the left corner of the endzone that was so beautifully placed it could have been put there by angels. His ball placement is fine and it will get better with a little mechanical tweaking with his delivery and follow through with regards his footwork.

36. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I really like Gabbert's hips. He's gonna be able to do some special things in the NFL b/c he can open them up so quickly. They generate a lot of torque which allows him a more compact delivery compared to Luck who uses more arm. Marino had awesome hips too. B/c of it, he'll be able to squeeze in throws that other QBs cant make, catch defenses off guard, and avoid some sacks. His hip torque allows him to throw the ball more like a dart rather than the elongated motion of throwing a baseball. IMO it'll help him have better and more consistent downfield accuracy. His hips open up so quickly that it almost allows him to release the ball as he's planting his back foot. Then you add in his size, mobility, feel in the pocket, good feet for his size, and ability to see the field and IMO this kid becomes a top 5 QB down the line.

37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Who's doubting Luck? Did I miss something?

38. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    and length to impact. I like cold weather. :tongue2:

39. Omaha

Omaha Season Ticket Holder

Dec 2, 2007
    trading up

it appears that Luck is the jewel of the draft.
    What does it take to get up there?
    Clearly minimum 15 pick this year and 1st rounder next year, but Carolina has alot of holes and did burn a 2nd round pick on Clausen, for them to trade down they have to get a good return.

with all the comparisons of Luck to Manning what would you give up for a true franchise QB?
    2 first rounders and a second rounder?

40. dolfan22

Come visit me in Winnipeg , right now then ! Bring your skates , we'll lace them up outdoors and play some shinny ;)

ToddsPhins likes this.