1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 MLB Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007

Ask Brandon McCarthy if he wants to wear one. Pitchers getting hit in the head with line drives happen a lot, it has nothing to do with trying to be macho or whatever it's about preventing major injury. Pitchers just don't have time to react to balls hit at them that quickly. The only thing it would do for the sport is making it safer it wouldn't have any other affect on it. I'm all for it.

Why should 1st and 3rd base coaches be forced to where them but a pitcher who's closer to the batter isn't? All it will take is for one pitcher to get killed by a line drive (like what happened to the Rockies minor league 1st base coach) before MLB will change, the point is to prevent that from happening in the first place.

2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area

Maybe if a pitcher dies, but dont know if you can eliminate the risk completely for a pitcher - espeically with the shard of a bat. Heck just a few seasons ago, I believe it was a baserunner, T. Colvin who was on the CUBS at the time took the bat shard into his chest running toward home from the 3rd base line.

I dont know if you can wear the armor to fully protect and thus fully prevent the inherent risk that is in a game.

3. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Non sense, why have catchers wear catching gear then? Or any player in any sport wearing any type of protective gear? It's dumb not to have pitchers wear head gear and I bet if you polled them secretly more for be for it than against. Let's prevent a situation before something bad happens.

4. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    From a Pitcher's perpective of the throwing motion, and trying to account for the ball as well as the shard of bat, I do not think enough equipment exists that wouldnt tax the motion or solve the problem.

You are talking strickly about the head, but a ball striking them in the CHEST or the bat shard piecing an artery, etc....its all risk that can not be accounted for beyond the head.

5. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I am confident he would say, no, no thanks.

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    How would wearing a wrestling type helmet prevent a pitching from throwing a baseball?

And yes while I agree with you that it's nearly impossible to fully protect a player from all risk, my point is if there is a way to do that MLB should absolutely do it. They shouldn't sit around and wait for the worst possible outcome to happen before they make a change. Make it now.

And there actually are chest protectors players can use that doesn't effect or restrict them in any way. A kid I played high school baseball had a heart condition and had to wear one, it's small yet effective.

I'm not suggesting we wrap these guys in bubble wrap but I think MLB should do something about head shots, especially with all the recent data with head injuries coming out.

Yeah I'm sure he would say no, give me a break. The guy has a fractured skull, had a 2 hour surgery, etc.

I'm sure he'd rather be a "tough guy" with a major head injury than be smart, healthy and looking to play in the playoffs, or just play period.

7. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Maybe MLB will attempt too, but since we agree about wrapping them in bubble, I wasnt disagreeing with your head protection idea, but was pointing out, by taking care of one thing - it by its nature wasnt solving everything, which frankly, is why I think MLB may never attempt, because to them, for now, where they have stopped is what they deem acceptable risk. You can disagree and thats fine, but a line has to be drawn logically, and I think the Pitchers and minds of MLB leadership have clearly drawn that line to exclude protection to a pitcher on a mound.

Its not necessarily about tough guy, its about accepting the risk. Fans can say the risk isnt worth it, but I am confident McCarthy would agree the risk was acceptable, and even after the fact would have that same mindset. Thats not hard to imagine.

8. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Andy Pettitte would love it, hell that guy gets shaky on a pop up...

9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Nappy Roots likes this.
  10. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    You know earlier I replied to RF and said the same thing as you. But before I hit reply and rethought the situation Brandon just went through. Im not so confident he would say no at this point. Probably wouldn't say Yes, but his answer might be something like "It may be time to look into something like that"

11. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    finyank13 likes this.
  12. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Maybe someone will indeed ask him, and we all can stop guessing:wink2:. I am only putting myself into his shoes, and my answer would be the same. That said, I would have to be convinced any CHANGE would aide in my protection and NOT limit my abilities. I dont know what proof if any exists, that these wrestling helmets would aide in protection and what % increase in protection would they provide, and then the next logical followup is ok, what dont they protect, and what if anything is left to accept as risk, etc?

At the end of the day, acceptable risk still exists for batters, catchers, and 1st and 3rd base coaches, and a DEATH could still occur. So that cant be the end all be all from the argument.

DonShula84 likes this.
  13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Not only this but think about it....it is baseball, they don't even embrace replays, or strike zone accountability....

I think before this happens, other more non-traditional things have to change first, because there will be a bunch of "tough guys" that speak up against it...

14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Who wants to play another round of "Finkle's Friday Fun With Numbers"?

Please be aware that these are EXTREMELY small sample sizes:

Player A
    28 years old
    11 games
    37 PA
    36 AB
    2 runs
    11 hits
    1 double
    1 HR
    4 RBI
    1 BB
    6 SO
    .306 BA
    .324 OBP
    .417 SLG
    .741 OPS
    95 OPS +

Player B
    30 years old
    12 games
    56 PA
    50 AB
    3 runs
    13 hits
    3 double
    1 HR
    10 RBI
    5 BB
    10 SO
    .260 BA
    .321 OBP
    .380 SLG
    .701 OPS
    94 OPS +

Any clue who they are?

Here's another number:
    Player A - $6,375,000.00
    Player B - $21,000,000.00

Have a better idea now?

Player A is James Loney while Player B is Adrian Gonzalez. The numbers reflect their stats since the big trade. Now obviously it's less than 2 weeks worth of games played so the sample size is extremely small and Loney isn't half the player Gonzalez is. Just wanted to see how Gonzalez had been doing with the Dodgers since the trade. I think a big thing to look at is Gonzalez' power numbers and if they will ever return. He blamed Fenway for his HRs being down (which is interesting considering he used to play at Petco) so it will be interesting to see how he does the rest of the season and rest of his career. But it is possible that shoulder surgery may have taken away some of his power.

15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    He was a diva too....didnt like the away games late in the season, didnt like the Sunday night games....etc etc....why does Loney have only 37 PA...?

Yeah but in any case stop trying to make me jealous....

16. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I look at those #s and assume player B is the better player but either not as much power, or just absent in that sample size. My assumption was correct. But like you say RF, is it that he just doesn't have the power? Or is just absent?

It's been absent this whole season. Shoulder could have something to do with it. I am going to give him a benefit of the doubt as of today and see its just absent right now, but I refuse to hold my breath to that thinking.

What a 360 that would be for a guy like Adrian. Goes from one of the best players in baseball to a light hitting good glove...1st baseman...

Lets hope for his sake its not true.

17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Was talking to my old man about McCarthy and he told me a story about Herb Score back in the 50's, the guy had electric stuff he said, left handed power pitcher, has to 2 great years, won the ROY then in the 3rd year got wacked off the eye with a comebacker and was never the same....he said he had HoF stuff, and 2 HoF years to start his career

So I looked him up.....wow he wasn't kidding...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/scorehe01.shtml

18. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    cough****post #733****cough

finyank13 likes this.
  19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I think next year will be the telltale sign with Gonzo......if he doesnt have the power numbers next year, I think you can start to say..."wait a minute"

20. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    AHAHAHAHHAAH how ironic!! was that posted somewhere?? Like on ESPN or something, how the hell do you 2 tell the same story in the same day...

21. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    be careful what answers you seek!!!!

finyank13 likes this.
  22. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    dad?

23. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I like Gonzalez and still do but yeah he seemed like a complainer to me. He whined about how the Sox had all these ESPN Sunday night games then had to leave for a new city the next night, when the team lost in September he said "it was God's will" instead of just saying "yeah we sucked", he complained about Fenway Park taking away his power, and of course the whole text about Bobby Valentine from his phone and if it was really him or Shoppach. He just never seemed to be accountable.

I have no clue how or why his power was pretty much gone all year. I mean I'm assuming it has to do with his shoulder but he started 2011 out with a bang, then once July rolled around and he was in the HR Derby (I refuse to believe this is the reason), he just stopped hitting HRs. He went from a 30plus HR guy in the NL West playing 81 games at Petco to hitting 15 HRs in the AL East playing at Fenway. Just seems strange. And watching tons of Sox games this year he just really didn't even hit the ball hard or with authority. Most of his HRs in Fenway were over the Monster too, rarely did he ever pull a HR.

You're right though you got to give the guy the benefit of doubt since this will really be the 1st down power year he's had in his career but I guarantee you that him becoming a good light hitting, good glove 1B (a rich man's Casey Kotchman if you will) scared the Sox a bit. Not only that be his walk rate dropped too. And this is a 30 year old, slow, unathletic 1B. Is the 2012 verison of Gonzalez a $21 million dollar player? I mean the numbers Gonzalez put up this year isn't like the Sox would have a hard time replacing next year at a third of the cost.

I hope he bounces back, ditto for Beckett and Crawford. I am rooting for them as I hold no ill will towards those guys. I think they will all be fine moving forward but I do think their best days are behind them.

Yeah next year is going to be extremely important for Gonzalez. If he continues slugging under .500 it will make the Sox return on this trade a huge/even better victory.

24. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    finyank13 and DonShula84 like this.
  25. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    The head is far more vulnerable than an artery, and can be protected without in anyway messing with a throwing motion. Obviously body armor isn't happening, or realistic, and some risk will always remain. But protecting the head would at least reduce the most obvious risk. Seems like an easy fix, that doesn't mess with the game. Why wait for someone to die?

Ray Finkle likes this.
  26. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Cause you still cant protect the face, no shield would work, or neck....so you narrow down chances with perhaps the skull protected, I agree with that...but you can even guarantee or eliminate a face shot....I get the risk, but I would be shocked if any pitcher says, yes, sure I will wear a helmet of some sort to protect the skull but they would also know the face is exposed, and throat, etc. It still risk where death is a likely risk if the stars aligned to have a ball come back and strike any vulnerable part that would cause death.

I agree with the sentiment, but just do not see a solution (nor one fully tested to prove a reduction in risk even) and a solution that would be worn at this point by MLB pitchers. Maybe some day.

27. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I agree there's no way to protect the face or neck, a pitching visor like they have on motorcycle helmet is just awkward and would be distracting but just because of that doesn't mean they shouldn't try to protect a head shot. There's always going to be risk involved when you do any physical activity but at least try to eliminate some of it if you can.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  28. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Like I said, I agree or understand the sentiment coming from the fans not wanting to see the risk be accepted....but I dont see any Pitcher lining up to wear a helmet on the mound - its acceptable to them.

29. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    MLB has the power to give the pitcher no choice in the matter, they can inforce it. McCarthy has been in ICU since what Tuesday? The guy has a major head injury. I think it's a major wake up call. I think you'd be surprised how many pitchers would be responsive to protective gear now.

30. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I dont think they can, not without the Union, they dont....next CBA I am sure the topic may be broached, but not holding my breath.

31. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Not sure why the Union would either block it or if have the power to block it. How be an interesting question to ask someone that would know these things.

32. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    UPDATE: Will Carroll talks about Pitching helmets in his latest column, just out today. He has another potential solution that may be more workable than helmets.

[​IMG]

33. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    What good does that do catching a ball in the face?

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Obviously nothing is perfect but it's the natural human reaction to turn your head when something is fly at you. Obviously there are unfortunate times when pitchers have gotten drilled in the face (Bryce Florie vs. the NYY in Boston like 10 years ago immediately comes to mind) but there's really no way to protect the face without it restricting the pitcher. You can't put the guy in a motorcycle helment or anything like that.

35. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Zero, same as batter really.

Heck, we have pitchers that cant even wear their hat straight:lol:...LOL....and we think they will wear something like this???

:tongue2:

finyank13 likes this.
  36. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    If they're forced to, of course.

37. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    :lol::lol::lol:

38. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    If Houston brings back Clemens they might as well sign Canseco to be their DH next year or even stick him in the OF this year.

39. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Their team would probably be better.

finyank13 likes this.
  40. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    If nothing else it would certainly be interesting for the first time since what 2005ish?