1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 MLB Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Fin-Omenal, Apr 8, 2012.

1. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Just one of those funny/sad stats, the 7th ex-Met, and I think 12th total no-hitter/perfecto (including all of Nolan Ryan's)......but again, Baseball may have 21 perfect games, but I still replace Armando Galarraga's instead of this sham with Humber (and its not his fault)....but geez Umps ruin the quality and integrity of the game per the rules......growing so tired of these incorrect calls.

.....Ump's really tick me off......!

Mainge likes this.
  2. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Just got a chance to watch Humbers perfect game. Yeah bad call by ump. Obviously gave him the call. No question if Seattle has 1 hit they call that a ball 4 and he is on first. No way you can blame the ump if he did call ball 4, he did not go and it was clear as day. Congrats none the less, but one thing I noticed with Humber was during the last out, he got really nervous and it showed.

3. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Apparently not.....

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  4. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I disagree. I think he broke his wrists. However, I still think he gave him the call as he should not have been making that call. He didnt go far enough for the home plate umpire to see it. He should of appealed and the first base umpire I believe would of said he went, which I believe he did.

Mainge likes this.
  5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Ackley is going to be a beast soon enough. He's already good. I like Justin Smoke too though he doesn't hit for much of an average. Jesus Montero is another guy that's going to be a really good player. The Mariners have some good pieces on offense but they're still young and learning. Be patient.

Also, I think it was a huge mistake for them to trade Adam Jones. Ichiro, Ackley, Jones, Smoke and Montero would be a solid lineup.

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    And Choo. And Asdrubel Cabrera. And Rafeal Soriano. And Matt Thorton... let's just say the Mariners didn't have a great trading track recording under Bill Bavasi

Mainge likes this.
  7. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I think he swung as well.

8. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Oh wow, I didn't know they had Choo and Cabrera. Yeah, the Mariners dun goof'd on these trades.

Who did they get back for them? I know Bedard was the big piece in the Jones trade.

9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    For Choo they got Ben Broussard and for Cabrera they got Eduardo Perez. Both guys did zero for Seattle and Perez was actually out of baseball the next year.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  10. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    They were showing it on MLBN, it was pretty clear he didnt go.....

Kudos to Ryan for not taking any interviews and not *****ing about it, pretty classy.... thing is, if he just hustled right after that, he might have beaten out the throw...

11. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I seen it on MLB network and thought it was clear his wrists broke.

12. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I really dislike that phrase, as its a scapegoat for bad umpires. In reality, the "breaking of the wrists" has nothing to do with bat passing through the zone and passing the front of the plate per the actual rules of the game. "Wrist breaking" is just an old saying that means nothing to ball or strike based on swing. I can hold up my swing, and still break my wrist (its called casting - like a fishing rod) with the bat never moving through the zone and past the front of home plate, and thats not a strike per the rules.

Thats why examples happen (with zero wrist-breaking) when a bat never leaves a batters shoulder but he turns toward the pitcher and spins out of the way - often on a inside pitch - yet will be called for a swing attempt because even-though the bat never left the shoulder (nor broke the wrists), his spinning motion toward the pitcher was deemed a swing since the bat went through the zone and past the front of the plate, etc.

As far as Humber, frankly, I have yet to see any clear image from any source showing what the 1st Base ump would have seen to clearly indicate - who has the best angle for that call -a swing that went to far, etc....but of all the footage from pitcher to batter shown, the Home Plate Ump in no way should have made that call, and didnt have the best angle to determine this checked swing. But it was a no win situation since if he didnt call it, and then appealed, the batter would not have run - what's funny, is the batter failed to run in this version anyway. But thats a whole other issue - if he believed he did check his swing, etc.

Congrats to Humber at the end of the day, but the last "two" perfect games in MLB have been tainted by the umps - no question about it.

finyank13 likes this.
  13. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    My only beef with the call is that the ump didn't ask for help. I hate when home plate umps do that.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  14. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't think this one was tainted. I saw an image that pretty much convinced me he went around.

I can't post it now because I'm on my phone but I will later.

15. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yeah, per the rules the Home Plate umpire has the right (and really the first right) to call a swing as he see's it, and only has to "check with" the first or third base umps if requested (usually by catcher - but could be request by manager).

In this instance, again, its no win for batter....if he (Ryan in this case) didnt feel like he went - as he failed to run even with Home Plate Ump ringing him up - because Ryan felt it was a bad call and shocked really - and if Home Plate Ump didnt ring him up and rather would have deferred to 1st base ump, Ryan still wouldnt have run in that instance either.

Frankly, I havent heard anyone ask the 1st base ump, and really doubt he would answer it at this point since its moot (let alone dicey on this one). If anything its only in the 1st base umps best interest to simply answer with "its was Home plate umpires call, he made it thus I support his call, etc, blah, blah, blah, etc!"

All in all, it is what it is and wont change - any more than accurate visual evidence proved Galarraga really threw a perfect game, etc.

16. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    A still image from the 1st base side of the plate??? or a .gif or movie?

Of course, a directly overhead shot would be most accurate, (which I know doesnt exist ever per the shape of stadiums and unless a camera was on a wire directly over the front of the plate).

17. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Is does matter about his wrists bro...the bat has to pass thru the zone and break past it, it didnt...

altho this angle seems to suggest differently....in the end it was the right call because in that situation 3-2 perfect game, you just arent getting the call...

http://i.imgur.com/Xk7EU.gif

18. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Not completely over head but close enough.

19. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

The bat does not have to pass through the zone. The batter just have to have intent. There's no real defined rule about check swings, a lot of grey area. However, generally, if the batter breaks his wrists, it shows intent in the umpires eyes, there for its mostly called then.

20. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    That is 100% true, thus the leeway for the ump to ruin the game.....:lol:

Robots are on their way! :wink2:

21. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Bat doesn't have to pass through the zone. Umpire just has to deem it an attempt.

22. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    That's absolutely a swing in that GIF, IMO. Good enough for me.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  23. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    It's rorschach-esque....we see what we want to see....its not clear (especially with black bat and daylight shadows - plus the angle). But again, that's why its controversial.

24. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Were you wearing one of the shirts? I was watching that game on MLB Network and they showed those dudes a lot. Didn't notice you though.

25. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Philly is a bandbox.

26. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I mean, I couldn't care less either way. I'm not wanting to see anything.

BigDogsHunt and Nappy Roots like this.
  27. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    It's a swing.

Mainge likes this.
  28. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Yikes. Not sure I agree with Felix being the best. He is up there, but I still take Verlander and Kershaw before Felix. I would have put Lincecum in that too, but he has been garbage this year. Matt Cain is up and out of his head right now too. Guy is damn near unhittable.

29. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    not with that offense they roll out....

you have to remember Halladay has done it in the AL East his whole career before going to the NL East....comparing Felix to Roy is warranted but to say he would do better I dont think so...Halladay doesnt screw around...

30. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I wouldn't go that far with it but I agree. It is tougher in the AL.

31. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    That's the picture I was going to post. From that view, it looks like he went.

Mainge and finyank13 like this.
  32. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Get out of here. Yes, the DH makes things more difficult but they're still major league hitters.

I'd still take Halladay over everyone but Felix is close in my eyes.

unluckyluciano and finyank13 like this.
  33. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I would take Verlander as well over Felix...by a small amount...but it is like complaining about winning the lottery...

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Excluding the San Diego Padres of course, right?

35. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Well, the NL has won the World Series more often than the AL recently and Kershaw, for example won the triple crown in pitching last year, as well as the Cy Young, has a better career era and won the Gold Glove last year. In fact, he is the first pitcher to win the Triple Crown, Cy Young and Golden Glove all in the same season.

Lincecum has better stats/awards/accolades than both at this stage of their career.

Not trying to disregard Felix, as he is an amazing pitcher. I just don't know if he is the best.

36. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    the kc royals play in the al............ varsity my ***.

37. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    And Seattle, of course.

DonShula84 likes this.
  38. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Billy Beane says hi too. MONEYBALL Mainge, MONEYBALL!

39. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Cleveland too.

40. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Hey if you don't want Felix to waste away I'll take him in Miami. You can have Nolasco.