1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Dolphins Draft Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ToddPhin, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Justright

Justright Banned

Feb 23, 2013

Value is good...however, if you like a guy you go and get him. The Pats haven't done that in I can't remember how long and thus have had very mediocre to bad drafts. I'm not saying that the Dolphins have had better, but it seems everyone thinks the Pats are some kind of draft geniuses. When in reality they aren't that good and they aren't that good with (typically) more picks.

calfishman and TooGoodForDez like this.
  2. Phinastic

Phinastic Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    I wouldn't mind getting Gio. At all.

3. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Page 11 of this thread, if gingerly read post-by-post, is comedic gold.

bakedmatt, Fin D and DPlus47 like this.
  4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

:sidelol:

5. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I appreciate the tip; I was working and got here late. I am quoting it because it is true: if anybody missed the thread, read that page first. Not to give anyone grief, just to feel the uncertainty. Nice moment.

6. MrClean

Makes me feel old when I can remember watching his dad playing minor league baseball for the Tacoma Cubs, when he wasn't much older than his kid is now.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Not All of us.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    GOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM!!!!!!

I'm feelin kinda groovy baby....

MrClean likes this.
  9. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Get Jonathan Cyprien. Enough mediocre talent. Go big or go home.

10. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Morning! Anyone think we can grab Menelik Watson later? I'm hoping he falls to us but I'm not holding my breath.

11. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    stop *****ing really...we have 9 more picks

12. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    well 20 picks in front, i think its gonna be tough

FanMarino likes this.
  13. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    MrClean and Gunner like this.
  14. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    If he drops into the mid-late 40's, I'd love for us to trade up from #54 to grab him, and then use a 3rd to draft either of Bailey or Swope.

Fin D likes this.
  15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I love that Ireland makes a pick that blows everyone's mind for a top talent, for a position no one thought he'd ever take, and did it by giving up very little.....and many of the same people who hated him before...now hate this pick as well.

You really can't make up that kind of hatred. Its actually hilarious.

Seriously, haters, give your self a hand for committing so fully to your hate that you crap on the acquiring of the best defensive player in the draft. Bravo, guys, bravo.

Section126, MrClean and djphinfan like this.
  16. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Anyone else still chuckling about the Buffalo Bills pulling a Jets style epic draft screw up?

As for our pick.... I'm on the fence.
    I'm ok with moving up for a superior player.
    That said, I personally think that Dion isn't a clear step above other players we could have gotten staying put at 12 and keeping our 2nd rounder.

I'm not unhappy or against what we did but I do have a real sense of doubt that we did the right thing.

17. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY

Yeah, that must be it: it must be an incredible pick that anyone would have made and the people who don't like it are blinded by hate for Ireland. It couldn't be that it was a reach at #3 and he's a project player that will take probably two seasons to develop and that we have many needs that could have been filled with the picks we had without giving one up... Naw, that wouldn't make any sense at all!

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yeah, you're right, a consensus Top 5 pick is a reach.

Again, your commitment to unwavering hatred is commendable.

MrClean likes this.
  19. Beelzebob

Beelzebob New Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Atlanta
    In retrospect I wonder if the Phins would have been better off taking Jarvis Jones or Bjoren Werner at #12 and Zach Ertz at #42. Jordan is going to have to be a beast to warrant the trade.

20. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Great day for us. Jets, Bills, and Pats...business as usual.

Bills take a guy who "may" be good, but they do have kolb, and they could have waited until their second pick at the latest. Maybe even traded up from the 3rd.

Jets, ah the Jets...take the 3rd best DT in the draft, and the second best cb, while all the others are still there. And they neglect more glaring needs.

The Pats trade away an impact spot for hopefully a gaggle of more Darius Butlers.

Da 'Fins and Mcduffie81 like this.
  21. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Sharif Floyd was a "consensus top 5 pick" too. He was also a media creation that dropped like a rock. I don't think Jordan was going at 4 even with Kelly there, but it's possible they could have taken him. Still the fact remains, we could have stayed where we were and taken a good pass rusher.

Your commitment to hyperbole and invective is not.

22. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I agree with this comment for the most part. Although, I think Ireland deserves a lot of credit for the move up alone. As I understand it, referring to this "draft value chart" I've heard mentioned on many occasions, we fleeced Oakland by only giving up a second round pick to move up from #12 to #3. Kudos Jeffy. As for the pick, I was as shocked as anyone. I thought the move up was to snag Lane Johnson (and still not so sure that wasn't the pick to make). All that said, I have to trust our scouts and coaching staff here. They obviously see something in this kid they really like. And, obviously they have a specific role in mind for him in our defensive scheme. I heard the comparisons to JT. So, if that's accurate, I am definitely on board with the selection.

23. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Meh, I dont hate the pick. Im just not crazy that we traded up. I wonder if Jordan might of fallen to 12? Probably not I guess. It also sucks that will probably now end up with zero 2nd round picks.

24. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I've heard the Jests were targeting him. If so, I doubt they would've let him slide had he been OTB at #9. Unless Austin was still available, perhaps. Basically, we got a "deal" in the move up, and put it a division rival at the same time. Win/win?

25. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Its only a win if Jordan works out. And he is a huge ? IMO. Big boom/bust candidate. Really high ceiling, really low floor.

26. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I think as long as Jordan can stay healthy he's a lock to be a dominant player in this league. He falls right in line with guys like Javon Kearse, Julius Peppers, and Demarcus Ware.

27. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    How are we going to wind up with zero 2nd rd picks?

28. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I don't see the low floor. It is a risky pick, no doubt, however this guy sounds smart, motivated, driven, and has immense talent. He can very well not live up to the 3rd overall pick, but i feel we got a decent player at very worst.

29. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

This pick is one more piece. Lets see how the rest of the draft goes...I like the move, but it is only one part of the equation...

30. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    If 54 is traded for Albert, there will be no 2nd round picks in the technical sense.

31. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That's true, but where's the idea that Albert for 54 is a forgone conclusion?

Edit: Love your avatar by the way, big TF fan.

32. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    It cost Miami less to move from 12 to 3, than it cost STL to move from 16 to 8. I'm not a fan of trading up, but this was as great of a value as anyone has gotten in a trade-up.

Stitches likes this.
  33. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    I'm ok that we've got a potential stud rushing from the opposite side of Cam Wake. Getting pressure can be the difference from needing great CBs to decent Cornerbacks. Don't forget our Safety positions. We are pretty good there.

34. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Some thoughts:

1. Bottom line is - whether he will be great or not. If he's great, it was a great move. If he's not it will be a terrible trade, terrible pick (nothing about the value chart matters, really). There's a risk because they gave up other players.

But, just a couple of other general observations:

1. Though it was a good deal as the old draft chart goes, and relative to what other teams do on trade ups; Chase Stuart has a trade chart based on actual outcomes of players at various parts of the draft and the value of lower picks is much higher relative to higher picks than the standard chart. Still it all depends on what one does with the pick, ultimately.

2. I like the potential Jordan has - but that's all it is at this point.

3. Other options will have to also be weighed against Jordan (if he isn't an all-pro player) ... The Dolphins could have traded down and still landed Tyler Eifert. They'd have multiple picks in rounds 2 & 3 (five at least in a trade down), and would be able to land a different DE in round 2 as well as a better shot at an OT; plus CBs and WRs. That will be an interesting comparison.

I have no love or hate for Ireland. I hope he's the most successful GM in history from here on out! And, I hope Jordan is the next Aldon Smith and we shut down the Pats the way the Giants front 4 has done in two SBs.

The rest of the way - I think we need serious offensive help still. I want a good WR (Bailey would be great but maybe another) and an OT to compete. I don't want to trade our 2nd to KC though apparently talks are going to happen today.

DPlus47, MrClean and Beelzebob like this.
  35. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The odds of a 12th pick busting are 50%. The odds of the 42nd pick busting are higher than 50%. Either way, its likely that you only end up with one good player from 12 and 42. Jordan just needs to be a solid starter for it to really be a successful pick.

36. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You can say that but at 42 you're getting a first round talent in this deep draft. This is essentially trading up two first's for the third overall. I don't care how the "trade calculations" grade out as 500 points less or more, what ever. 42 is a first round draft pick in this draft. Dion has a lot to live up to IMO. No less than Jason Taylor is what I'm expecting out of him now.

Beelzebob likes this.
  37. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I disagree 100%. There were about 6 people in this draft that are 1st round picks. The rest are a bunch of 2nds in any quality draft. Miami got one of the six that were 1st round picks. In my view, they traded two 2nds for one of the few 1sts.

38. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    In this draft or in general? Honestly, as much as I would like two seconds and two thirds, the opportunity to draft the best defensive player in the draft, with freak physical attributes, toughness (playing with his torn labrum) , character, toughness, and leadership, is well worth the 42 pick. It's not as if we have a strong history of drafting well in round 2 anyway. Hitting in the first is huge if you can do it, and while it's very premature, I think we got a hell of a pick, at a position(s) we needed.

Even more encouraging, all the coaches wanted him.

DPlus47 and Stitches like this.
  39. MrClean

For the old timers, I've read some comparisons of Jordan to The Mad Stork, Ted Hendricks. For those who remember Ted, it's not an off base comparison.
    Jordan is the type of player Shula thought he was getting when he drafted Eric Kumerow.

DPlus47 likes this.
  40. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    There are not 42 prospects with a first round grade on them. There are like 15 or so.

rafael likes this.