1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    so nobody else likes this kid?

[video=youtube;Kmex6n5aQY4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Kmex6n5aQY4[/video]

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    It's bad but you have to keep in mind when he gets to the NFL, coaches won't tolerate it. He's going to be fighting for playing time and if they catch even a whiff of that kind of behavior he's on the inactive list. That's why stuff like this sometimes doesn't matter to me as much as you'd think. It's a checkbox that you'd like to see checked, but it's not something that kills him, IMO.

ToddPhin likes this.
  3. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Thanks.

Tough holiday season as my mother-in-laws battle ended. New year's eve. But, it was an expected outcome (don't know how else to say it). It doesn't make it any easier for my wife etc., but it was one of those things where nothing could be done. Sad to see to say the least.

Otherwise everything is good. Plodding through the ACCA, daugther's birthday etc.

As for the draft, it wouldn't shock me to see us take the tackle from Central Michigan if he's there, or maybe Okafor. Looking at what Cincy did defensively this past year, it wasn't a surprise to see similarities in the defensive philosophies. If Coyle is really all about having a big RDE then someone like Margus Hunt, and Gholston can be had later. Early, it may be someone like Okafor.

If not either Fisher or Okafor I think you have to look hard at someone like Cooper from UNC. I know people would go nuts, but damn if the man isn't a great fit for what we do in the run game here. You put him next to Pouncey and you have two athletic specimens right there. And finally it could be Star Lotulelei. At that spot you need a solid contribution from whoever you get. In that scenario, you use this year as the growth year for Lotulelei and let Soliai walk next season. If we let Starks walk and move Odrick inside, then conceivably you don't skip a beat moving forward on the interior. I know people want flash right away, but it may the draft to get solid first, then get the flash in round 2 and 3 where you have 4 picks to do something with.

At 12, I think the best value may be along the lines rather than outside. Later on, it seems to be the opposite IMHO.

4. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    .... but it would make me question other aspects of his game, namely in the emotional/mental department. IE: how badly does this kid want it? What kind of teammate will he be? Does he have it in him to be a selfless player? And so on. If he's viewed as a 2nd rounder, I'd simply rather draft someone else with the plethora of 2nd round talent available.

5. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I agree with this, and it makes a lot of sense IMO. TBH, considering we have 2 2nds & 3rds as well as the depth of talent at positions of need in those rounds, I wouldn't be upset if we took Cooper in the 1st, but I would hope that pick was a result of a trade back for another 2nd or 3rd.

My condolences BTW.

ssmiami and djphinfan like this.
  6. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Ross has final authority on everything. If I'm not mistaken, every 1st round pick is cleared by the owner. Mostly this is probably a formality, but in this case Ross may say no. And even if that's not the case, Ireland will be in communication about what the plan is and Ross can tell him that isn't going to fly.

I honestly doubt Ireland would even do it on his own though. He may be gone without a winning season anyway, but people know the playmaker positional needs the Dolphins have. If he goes elsewhere and the Dolphins have a lack of production from those areas he looks even worse. At least if he takes a player at one of those positions it seems like he's trying.

7. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    I honestly don't believe Ireland is influenced by the fans. I think it's possible Ross has put some pressure on him to get a WR (Marshall) and a QB (Tannehill), but I think this case would be a little different. The Dolphins are struggling for support as much as they ever have in my lifetime. Doing something that unpopular is dangerous unless somehow you have already delivered a big name WR and probably another popular move on a TE or DE.

djphinfan likes this.
  8. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    His name's Rodrick Rumble. What's not to love?

ToddPhin likes this.
  9. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Sorry to hear your news pal.

I like your thoughts as well.

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I expect that by draft time they will have signed both a FA WR and possibly a FA TE. I think that will let the team feel they can take the BPA at that spot.

Bpk likes this.
  11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Obviously as owner he does, but so far he has not been one to meddle in personnel decisions, especially the draft. I don't see anything to indicate he's going to start dictating to Ireland which positions he can and cannot draft.

I have never ever heard that Ireland has to clear the 1st round picks with Ross. IMO, you are mistaken. Can you present any proof to support that notion?

gunn34 and ToddPhin like this.
  12. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If we do happen to draft Jon Cooper I would very much like to follow it up with a running back who's great at squeezing through creases and taking advantage of Cooper & Pouncey's 2nd level blocking ability. Andre Ellington or Lattimore would be an ideal compliment IMO.

That wouldn't be a bad 1st round pick- a trade back that nets Cooper & Ellington/Lattimore. Plus we'd still have 2 2nds & 2 3rds to do defensive & WR/TE damage with.

MrClean likes this.
  13. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think he does like to meddle, but I think this might be a special circumstance where he might.

As for clearing the picks, I have no proof and could very well be mistaken, but I thought I had heard GMs speak about getting the OK from the owner to draft their guy.

If indeed Ireland goes out and signs a big name WR and possibly a TE or other popular FA, he might then be free to draft whichever player he feels presents the best value, both from a team need and popular opinion perspective, but if not I just don't see him making a move on a guard. I'm starting to think honestly that one of the TEs could be the pick at 12. A guy like Eifert presents good value there and fills a need.

14. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Nick Florence of Baylor is intriguing as a quarterback. His footwork and technique aren't great but he's as accurate as heck down the field and he just makes plays.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Aside from maybe Sean Renfree, Florence is the only quarterback in this class I'd like to see Miami consider drafting for a backup position.

The footwork and technique might be a product of the offense. Neither were great with Robert Griffin either. He mimics Robert Griffin in a lot of ways though, he just doesn't have the arm strength or quite the same athletic ability.

I'm going to end up making some YouTube videos about him because they're not currently out there and I think he deserves them.

Clark Kent likes this.
  16. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    He does. Impressed the heck out of me.

ckparrothead likes this.
  17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Holy cow. THAT was unexpected.

Nick Florence retiring from football, pursuing a masters at Baylor.

18. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    There are worse ways to start a business career than to have a few hundred grand or so in the bank- interesting decision if he's sure that he can make an NFL team. This line struck me as interesting:

"He said both him and his wife knew he could make an NFL team, but he didn’t know if he’d ever start."

Maybe he can't handle the idea of not starting, he's rather take the business world by the horns. To each his own. At first glance he seems like a good guy, I wish him well.

19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know. There's merit to what he's talking about. If he recognizes that he's always going to be a backup then he knows that the average shelf life of an NFL player (4 years) very much applies to him. How much could he legitimately hope to save up from 4 years of a 7th round/UDFA level contract? Taxes, agent fees and living expenses eat up most of that money and in the mean time you are unable to invest in yourself and your REAL future by continuing your education. You walk out of your NFL career having saved up what, maybe a couple hundred thousand dollars? And in the mean time it's now been 4 years since college and you're going to try and resume studies and get back on track for your real career, which can be very hard. You're older than people you're competing against for entry level jobs. That can be a detriment.

It's not necessarily an illogical decision, but it is a surprising one.

20. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Good points, I wonder why he wouldn't wait to see if/where he was drafted, what kind of money he'd be looking at. If he's looking at best 7th rd/UFDA then maybe it just wouldn't be worth it, as you said.

21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He would have to be gung ho about the NFL and show teams he's totally committed, just to get drafted at all. He might have a moral problem (as would I) with doing all that knowing there's a good chance you're going to turn around and say "Well, it wasn't high enough...I'm going back to school".

22. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Eh, he'd be roughly 29 if he played 4 years, then went on to his MBA, and started applying for jobs. With $300,000 saved up. That's a no-brainer, to me. That age is far from a detriment for the entry level jobs, regardless if he goes consulting, IB or marketing routes.

I personally don't understand the decision from a fiscal point of view, but I understand it if he lacks the passion. Baylor's a great MBA program as well.

23. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/23242/bray-is-one-of-3-throwing-qbs-at-combine

Tennessee's Tyler Bray will be one of three "throwing QBs" during the NFL Combine. Louisiana tech's Colby Cameron and Iowa's James Vandenberg complete the trio. Bray is a surprising inclusion, since designated throwing quarterbacks are usually late round or undrafted free agent type prospects. This means Bray will be included in skill position and defensive back drills.

I never thought of him as a day 1 or 2 pick, but I thought he was better than some of the guys that are going to being doing drills (looking at you, Collin Klein)

24. MrClean

All three of them are combine invites so they'll be doing everything QBs do, plus a little extra. I'm glad Bray is doing this. He's probably the one QB with the most arm talent in this draft.

25. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I like Tyler Bray. He has all the skills. He just needs to mature.

ssmiami and MrClean like this.
  26. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Watched the LSU-Clemson bowl game last night. Seen a fair bit of both sides this year and last but I was intrigued by the match-up between Hopkins and Tharrald Simon in isolation and the play of Mallicah Goodman. Came away more impressed with Goodman than ever before. He's raw but he has terrific hands. Really heavy handed, locks out the elbows and does a terrific job of creating space. And Hopkins ended up with about 90 catches for 6000 yards in that game, but Simon was beaten badly on many of the throws. In fact he was right there, save for inexplicably playing off on a critical third down. The throws were just so good and Hopkins was so strong. But I like him. His technique isn't great, but he's big, he's physical and he has excellent hips. Great length, long arms. He doesn't transition very well when he has to click and close to plays in front of him. But he's a Jeff Ireland type of player absolutely. Plus he only started one season so you've got to think that the technique is going to improve with coaching fairly quickly.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    To call Tharold Simon's technique and fundamentals sloppy in that matchup would be an understatement. But I saw the same thing you did in Tharold as far as potential goes when he's actually doing things right. Actually what I took from it is that in the NFL when DeAndre Hopkins plays against more Tharold Simons that are actually doing things the right way...he may get smothered. Just my opinion.

28. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Well, I searched the last 10 pages for the post where one of our own guys somehow had inside information about Jarvis Jones spine being okay. Just wanted to give that person props as his spine checked out fine with the NFL doctors today. From here each team gets to make their own decision, but the fact that the NFL cleared him is a good sign.

Respect.

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah but USC doctors told him he should retire while UGA doctors he can play. So, today's news is moot to me, honestly.

30. MrClean

Fellows named Simon are usually always beaten badly. But they like it that way. :shifty:

Boomer likes this.
  31. MrClean

Me too. There is just something about him. The way he drops back and slings the ball around the field, to me looks a little Marinoesque. If Miami decides to double up and take another QB this draft, I hope it's Bray. I was really impressed by the Tulane QB at the Texas Vs The Nation game and would be really happy to see us take him late too. I think he should have been invited to the combine.

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Have heard Bray likes to have a lot of fun. Needs to grow up.

33. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    USC's evaluation was the furthest back. UGA and both the NFL approved his back, now it's onto the teams decisions. He basically solidified himself in the top half of round 1. If his back would have came back negative your talking many rounds later.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  34. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Is it me or does he have a pretty big hitch in his throwing motion?

35. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Elongated. Drops it to his hip.

36. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    How correctable is that?

I know Byron Leftwhich was notorious for that, but he never worked on switching it...

37. MrClean

Not always. More on when he is throwing very deep.

38. MrClean

IMO, Bray doesn't compare negatively to Leftwich. Bray gets rid of it much quicker. Only flaw I really see is he throws three quarters, but being tall helps offset the somewhat low release point. I wouldn't mess with Bray's throwing mechanics if I were coaching him. It may really screw up his timing and accuracy.

jim1 likes this.
  39. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I don't really see that at all. He double pumps sometimes, but overall his release looks pretty quick and efficient to me, no signs of a hitch. I watched some film to double check and I'll watch some more, but I just don't see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYOICmvWRq4

Bray is a 3/4 motion guy, but at 6-6 who really cares. Might have the best arm in the draft imo, him or Tyler Wilson. I wouldn't mess with it at all. One of the dumbest things I remember from the Parcells era was messing with John Beck's throwing motion- I mean, this guy had a really nice arm. I don;t care if he's 6-2, leave it alone, there are years and years of muscle memory in those throwing motions- I don't care if a QB pats the ball or whatever- let it be or don't draft him.

BTW, Glennon is listes at 232 lbs, Bray 215, both 6-6. Yet Bray looks ok to me physically, Glennon gaunt- go figure.

MrClean likes this.