1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 NFL Scouting Combine

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Bpk, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Per NFL.com, the official combine schedule

Saturday, Feb. 23: Tight ends, offensive linemen, special teams

Sunday, Feb. 24: Quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers

Monday, Feb. 25: Defensive linemen, linebackers

Tuesday, Feb. 26: Defensive backs

DETAILED SCHEDULE

DAY 1 ARRIVALS*: Group 1 (PK, ST, OL), Group 2 (OL), Group 3 (TE)

Wednesday
    February 20, 2013 Travel to Indianapolis* ~ Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Orientation ~ Interviews

Thursday
    February 21, 2013 Measurements ~ Medical Examinations ~ Media ~ Interviews

Friday
    February 22, 2013 NFLPA Meeting ~ Psychological Testing ~ PK/ST Workout ~ Bench Press ~ Interviews

Saturday
    February 23, 2012 On-Field Workout (timing, stations, skill drills) ~ Departure from Indianapolis

DAY 2 ARRIVALS*: Group 4 (QB, WO), Group 5 (QB, WO), Group 6 (RB)

Thursday
    February 21, 2013 Travel to Indianapolis* ~ Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Orientation ~ Interviews

Friday
    February 22, 2013 Measurements ~ Medical Examinations ~ Media ~ Interviews

Saturday
    February 23, 2013 NFLPA Meeting ~ Psychological Testing ~ Bench Press ~ Interviews

Sunday
    February 24, 2013 On-Field Workout (timing, stations, skill drills) ~ Departure from Indianapolis

DAY 3 ARRIVALS*: Group 7 (DL), Group 8 (DL), Group 9 (LB)

Friday
    February 22, 2013 Travel to Indianapolis* ~ Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Orientation ~ Interviews

Saturday
    February 23, 2013 Measurements ~ Medical Examinations ~ Media ~ Interviews

Sunday
    February 24, 2013 NFLPA Meeting ~ Psychological Testing ~ Bench Press ~ Interviews

Monday
    February 25, 2013 On-Field Workout (timing, stations, skill drills) ~ Departure from Indianapolis

DAY 4 ARRIVALS: Group 10 (DB), Group 11 (DB)

Saturday
    February 23, 2013 Travel to Indianapolis ~ Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Orientation ~ Interviews

Sunday
    February 24, 2013 Measurements ~ Medical Examinations ~ Media ~ Interviews

Monday
    February 25, 2013 NFLPA Meeting ~ Psychological Testing ~ Bench Press ~ Interviews

Tuesday
    February 26, 2013 On-Field Workout (timing, stations, skill drills) ~ Departure from Indianapolis

---------------------

Post your Combine-related info, vid clips and observations here as my favorite event of the year takes place!

Who are you most curious about this year?

My watch list:
    Ziggy Ansah (10yd split, vertical)
    Johnthan Banks (40 and Shuttle)
    Cordarrelle Patterson (drills)
    Stedman Bailey (everything)
    Jarvis Jones (bench)
    Dion Jordan (DL drills, real weight)
    Ertz, Eifert, Fauria, Gonzalez (everything)
    Chance Warmack (agility drills, shuttle, cone, 40)
    Lane Johnson (arm length, etc)

I'm excited. Lets get the Combine started!!!

djphinfan likes this.
  2. Bpk

Add Florida Tight End Jordan Reed to that list.

I think you'll be hearing a lot about him by the end of this combine.

3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I'm interested in the 40 times for Hopkins, Allen, Patterson, and also their 10 yd splits.

I predict Wheaton to be at least the 2nd fastest WR, so interested in seeing him run too. Also, hope to see Poyer post some good times so to put to rest any concern over his speed.

ToddPhin likes this.
  4. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Pass on Poyer '13

5. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm interested to see how long it takes Damontre Moore to run the 3 cone drill. lol.
    Ansah's everything..... just for the fun of it.

WR
    Patterson's 40, 10 split, vertical & broad
    Patton's everything
    If Marquise Goodwin tops Jacoby Ford's 40
    Da'Rick Rogers' 40 & 10 split
    Wheaton's 3 cone & shuttle
    Swope's 40
    Connor Vernon's everything
    Corey Fuller's 40, cone, and shuttle
    Chris Harper's 40 & 10 split

RB

Eddie Lacy's everthing
    Giovani Bernard's 40 & 10 split
    Andre Ellington's 40
    DJ Harper's everything

TE
    Vance McDonald's 40, 10 split, vertical
    Ertz's 10 split, 3 cone, & shuttle
    Eifert's 40 & bench
    Chris Gragg's everything
    Joseph Fauria & Zach Sudfeld's everything

hybrid OLB
    Jarvis Jones & Chase Thomas: vertical, broad, bench, 10 split (cone & shuttle too I guess)

QB
    Mike Glennon's bench. just for the fun of it.

gandalfin likes this.
  6. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Barry, why do you care about Ansah's ten yard split? To me, that's totally immaterial. When there's a Combine to measure a defensive end's ability to get to the QB, then hook me up. Ansah will rock into the Mike Mamula territory.

7. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Come on guys! How can you all make these lists of players and leave off the most important one? You all know damn well the #1 reason you will be watching the Combine is for Rich Eisen's time in the 40 :pity:

ToddPhin and Bpk like this.
  8. Bpk

Lol. I know, but what I am trying to get granular about is separating his second gear (tracking guys down) from his slow first couple steps.

Ansah doesn't have a quick start (I think we all agree on that), but I'm still curious. Maybe it's just liking a player and being kept at bay from him by that one deficiency, so I'm seeking a way to rationalize it. "Well, he lacks a first step, but..."

To be honest, since Cam Wake I have become more interested in a DE's vertical as a measure of his explosion out of a three or four point stance.

9. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I actually thought that Ansah's 1st step looked better at the Senior Bowl- with that wide stance and those long legs he reminded me a bit of Too Tall Jones and LC Greenwood. The problem is, on top of a weak first step, he shows again and again an inability to get to the QB until a play is elongated to the point that he can start laterally chasing the QB. In other words, he can't effectively disengage from OT's to get to a pocket passing QB. And if he can't do that against BYUs competition- good luck in the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-JxQlaxBHU

Take a look at 3:12 here against Boise St.- this is what drives me nuts. Ansah engages the LT, gets nowhere, basically gives up and you can see him planning his jump as he tries to bat down the ball. Nice touch, but that's not the meat of the dish- the meat is supposed to be actually beating the OT and getting to the QB in the pocket. For all that Ansah potentially has to offer, get used to that clip because you're going to see a lot of that kind of play from him in the NFL. Unless a play breaks down and he can use his speed to track QBs laterally, he's inept and clueless as a pass rusher. That may sound harsh, but that's what it is. It's like he has no freaking clue how to beat an OT to get to a QB in the pocket, and that's a huge problem.

After a couple of years of football he should know better and have better skills in that regard- look at Menelik Watson- very similar situation as per a foreigner new to the game with awesome physical skills, but he stonewalls DEs, often blocks more than one player during a play with great awareness and reflexes and is great at blocking downfield past the LOS. Watson imo shows great basic, fundamental skill as well as great reflexes, 2nd level blocking, etc goodies. Power run blocking, pass pro, everything basic he does great, plus the other stuff. Ansah- he offers the goodies but is massively fundamentally flawed as a basic, get to the QB in the pocket pass rusher- he gives you wine but denies you water, metaphorically speaking. Good luck with that in our division against Tom Brady, Mark Sanchez and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I've seen quite a bit of this "can't disengage" argument labeled at Damontre Moore- if Ansah had the basic pass rushing ability of Moore then maybe he would be worth a top 10 pick- he doesn't. Moore has issues as per getting stonewalled, but not even close to those of Ansah's. I posted the Alabama footage of Ansah where he got dominated, but generally speaking he is a good DE and edge rusher, imo. And as to that earlier 3 cone comment I saw in this thread- puhlease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZlyDKSEgWU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxj59C-Xzag

Sean Porter at OLB- his stock has suffered imo because his role was changed in 2012 to less of the attack player that he was in 2011- he can get to the QB, had 10 sacks or so in 2011. I'd love to get him in the 3rd rd, he may not and probably should not be available in the 3rd rd. Put him behind Odrick on the left side and you have some lighting to go with the thunder- if you want a more attacking and athletic defense, imagine Misi in the middle flanked by Porter and Ogletree- getting both Ogletree and Porter is a legitimate possibiity, and if you want to track the Russell Wilsons of the world having fast, active OLBs like Porter and Ogletree in a 4/3 with Wake and Odrick at base DEs wouldn't be such a bad way to go. Porter and Ogletree imo both have outstanding movement skills, like big Safeties, and we sure could use some of that. YOu want to improve this defense? Imagine:

1. Ogletree
    2. Elam
    2. Steadman Bailey
    3. Sean Porter
    3. Tank Carridine
    4. Jordan Reed
    5. Marques Wilson
    7. Brandon McGee

Combine that with Mike Wallace or Jennings in FA, with maybe an OL and another CB and you're off and running. I think that Ireland will indeed go for playmakers this year- the plan was to build inside out, this is the year for the attack players, not the bigs

10. Bpk

I don't entirely disagree with your points on Ansah, but I think you give him less credit than he is due for finding ways to make impact plays.

I can't comment on Porter or Ogletree as I have spent no time looking at linebackers yet.

Your draft has a few guys I like but I think Tank will go in the late first, very early second. Rees probably goes in the third, thanks to Hernandez' success.

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Combine...happy happy happy..I'm gonna DVR that bad boy for a week just in case we need to go back.

Eifert vrs Ertz..

Cordarelle and how natural his hands are.

I see some mocks that have Bernard in the late first early 2nd, not buyin his speed, and if he doesn't have it, he drops.

Eddie lacy, everything, want his *** on my team.

Chris Harper because of an inside source.

Close ups of the genetics of all the players we might have interest in.

Dion Jordan's fluidity for his size should be draw dropping..

Sheldon Richardson cementing himself as a top 10 player, maybe sooner...which sucks...that dude will run all day.

All the receivers..

Escobar in case we don't get Eifert..wanna see his size and speed on display.

I could go on and on..I think the combine is very important part of the evaluation process..

Matt millens on record saying he could care less...lol

Bpk and ToddPhin like this.
  12. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I just can't take Ogletree that high when I don't think he can hold up in the middle on the next level.

13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm going to keep harping on this until I die but the big problem with the 10 yard split is it is the measurement that is THE most sensitive to measurement error.

And technique error, for that matter. I really wish they'd switch formats to having the player react to a gun.

14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Wouldn't that create a greater discrepancy for players who don't get the same start?

15. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes but that discrepancy would translate in a football sense.

mbsinmisc and ToddPhin like this.
  16. Bpk

Glad you're recording it Deej. I love the combine, though I can't recall where it has majorly changed my thoughts on a player. If anything it confirms them, or fools me into liking a guy who turns out to not be that great. Lol.

By the way, you have a typo. You put "draw dropping" when you meant "drawer-dropping"

ToddPhin likes this.
  17. Bpk

You're right. And yet as bad as it is its as good as we've got.

18. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ....said you're 2 college sweethearts.

:p

19. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I can see where you could believe this, if you wanna resort to logic and all.

I'd like to see them at least wear a darn helmet.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm busted, I want to see *** in underwear.

21. Bpk

Per NFL.com, the official combine schedule

Saturday, Feb. 23: Tight ends, offensive linemen, special teams

Sunday, Feb. 24: Quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers

Monday, Feb. 25: Defensive linemen, linebackers

Tuesday, Feb. 26: Defensive backs

22. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I'm actually surprised that they do not have a way to measure a players speed based on when a player starts. Basically, a motion sensor timer that starts when motion is first initiated. I think it would be a lot more accurately than a player try to "guesstimate" when a guy is going to say "go."

23. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    So what do they do between tomorrow and saturday? lol

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Kennan Allen will not participate at the combine...pcl injury has not healed.

Bpk likes this.
  25. Bpk

I've updated the orignal post with the detailed schedule