1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Rookie Class Player Preview

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Jul 1, 2013.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Rookie Season Player Preview:

Less than 5 weeks to our first preseason game at the Hall of Fame. I don’t know about you but a lot to be excited for this year. In light of the latest incidents for a team up North, I like our chances more and more.
    One player holds the key from a mediocre to successful season and that is Tannehill. But, first let’s assess his newest additions from this year’s 2013 Rookie Class. Wanted to do some rough predictions for these guys, obviously the pads haven’t come on but wanted to go over our draft picks and how I believe they will contribute.

Round 1: Dion Jordan DE: With our third pick we snuck up for I believe the most gifted defensive player in the draft. Granted the scheme he played in didn’t allow him to produce monstrous stats, but it showed something we desperately need “versatility”. Any guy who is 6’6” with a 34 inch wingspan and runs a 4.6 40 is ok with me.
    My expectations for him to get assimilated through pre-season and the first few weeks. Don’t get me wrong he won’t be riding the bench but he will be on a play count. He unfortuanetly hasn’t been able to participate in the offseason due to his college schedule, so he has to play catch up…good thing is he is too much of a physical force to not play. But, I see him being a situational player a la Bruce Irvin for the Seahawks last year. I really believe he is comparable to Aldon Smith in overall game, probably more athletic but with less strength. I watched a sports science on him the other day and his spin move is something to behold. I fully expect him to be a part of a rotation of Wake, Vernon and himself.
    Stats: 33 tackles, 7 sacks, 2 FF, 1 FR

Round 2: Jamar Taylor CB: I really wanted this guy in the second round once I knew we weren’t going for a CB in round 1. I liked his size, tenacity, and scheme he had been playing at Boise. I fully expect him to be a large part of our secondary in the future, if not sooner.
    My hope is the sooner. But he has been kept out of minicamp thus far and that will set him back no matter. With Grimes seeming to have a firm grip on our #1, I believe Taylor would be our #2. But not being able to practice is hurting his chances. Between, him, Jordan and Dallas Thomas overcoming offseason procedures I am a little worried about the day one production from that group. But in Taylor’s case it’s not like our secondary is loaded. Richard Marshall is not a starting boundary corner in my eyes. But, he is a very solid nickel guy. I believe Taylor to take over as a starter at one point during the season even if it isn’t day one.

Stats: 55 tackles, 2 int, 1 FF

Round 3: Dallas Thomas OG/OT: Did some study of this guy in the pre-draft process. Number one thing to me is SEC, in which the conference he came from. Second is Tennessee… he didn’t play for a juggernaut like Bama, LSU, or Florida. I like those two factors well the Talent in the SEC is the closest to a minor league the NFL has. Second is he stood out on a average O-Line. Not only did he block some of the best athletes in college but he also did it at a high level from two positions. Look at the Patriots offensive line… one thing that sticks out is versatility. One guy goes down and they don’t lose a beat cause they are interchangeable. We need that very badly. I believe Thomas will bring that.
    My expectation is he is hybrid filler for his rookie year. There will be an injury whether it be minor or major Thomas will get live game action. It really depends on two factors where he ends up. Option A is Jon Martin is a dud at LT and a liability and Thomas fills in for him after two years there his Soph/Junior years at Tennessee. Option B (hopefully) is that Richie Incognito finishes the year well but he isn’t a long-term scheme fit and Thomas takes over for him after he leaves in Free Agency. If all works out Thomas will get solid game action and be ready to take over the left side guard day one 2014. An O-Line of Martin-Thomas-Pouncey-Louis-Clabo wouldn’t look bad come 2014 (If Clabo gets resigned).
    Stats: 8 games played, 3 starts

Round 3: Will Davis CB: Love that we doubled down on CB’s. Even though 2009 version wasn’t a huge success I believe that was a coaching thing. By the time Philbin arrived Vontae’s attitude was unsalvageable. Smith simply wasn’t a scheme fit and not worth the money for no playmaker skills. Davis brings one thing that is evident on tape he is a ball hawk. Davis led the NCAA in pass breakups and had a 5 game streak of interceptions. We need ball hawk and we need turnovers. Hopefully he can make those possible.
    I see him as a solid developing #2 guy, at worst he is a #3 and in todays pass happy league a solid #3 is a must have. My concern is he has too much Asante Samuel in him…meaning too much risk on passes not enough effort. He could be the guy that lives and dies on his break on the ball which can leave him susceptible. Also that he is not physical enough in the run game. I know Taylor can lay a lick but need to see if from Davis. But with his hop movement and quickness I think he can thrive in a zone scheme. He will be the 4 or 5 CB to start the year but expect him to develop and rise up the depth chart.
    Stats: 30 tackles, 1 int

Round 4: Jelani Jenkins OLB: Still don’t know what to figure with this pick. Like it on one aspect in terms of his coverage ability with TE’s running wild in past years. I also liked his potential coming out of high school being a top recruit but injuries plagued him at UF.
    I believe he could be a starter in the future, but he will be best on Special Teams and in coverage situations. I don’t believe in Misi’s ability in coverage but that could be where Jenkins finds his initial niche. With him roughing up TE’s and having the ability to stay with them hopefully our pass coverage isn’t such a liability.

Stats: 45 tackles, 2 FF, 1 FR

Round 4: Dion Sims TE: My potential favorite pick of the draft. Why? He brings the old school with the new school approach at TE. He is old school in his size and demeanor. This guy was a blocker through and through at Michigan State University. But, he also had respectable receiving numbers with a subpar QB. The funny thing is MSU asked him to play larger than ideal playing weight to hold up with the run blocking aspect of their offense (75% of it).
    Ireland and Philbin both have mentioned that at the combine he was lighter and played faster than they anticipated. The rumor is he is playing in the 265lb range down from 285 in college. I like that because being a former All-State Basketball player he could be our Tony Gonzalez of our offense. With Campbell and Turner’s coaching in the run blocking department there is no reason Sims doesn’t become our in-line TE that supports the run game. He and Keller really can play off each other’s strengths and weaknesses. Sims is a big target with limited speed but can win the jump ball. Keller is fast as a WR, but limited in the run support game. But, I fully expect him to be our version of Indy’s Dwayne Allen with his size and versatility.
    Stats: 33 receptions, 380 yards, 11.51 ypc, and 1 TD.

Round 5: Mike Gillislee RB: Another Florida guy, jeez Philbin must’ve loved Mushchamp’s team this year. I loved two parts of it their speed and tenacity. That bowl game was a disaster but god that defense was flying around. Gillislee was UF’s offense. Driskel wasn’t a factor and their receivers are average. Gillislee is a solid player in every aspect but not superb in anything. Although, he could be quite a pickup and contributor. He is a shifty runner who reminds me a poor man’s Frank Gore. He follows his blocks really well.
    I expect him to start the year off as#3 back on the depth chart. But, we’ve all been waiting for Thomas to live up to his draft status but I expect him to get surpassed by Gillislee. I can see Gillislee doing some spot duty as a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] down back but expect him to get more touches than Miller last year who one had 51 carries. But, as he continues on I think Miller/Gillislee can form a potent 1-2 punch for years to come.
    Stats: 90 carries, 425 yards,4.72 ypc, 3 TD’s, 14 receptions 130 yards

Round 5: Caleb Sturgis K: Wow, a kicker in Round 5…Let’s fire Ireland right now. Oh wait; we pay our kicker $3mil a season for nothing more than solid kicker. Listen Carpenter is solid and if his price tag wasn’t so high he wouldn’t be expendable. Enter Caleb Sturgis our 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Gator in this class. This guy is very solid. Great leg strength but even better accuracy. Doesn’t seem to be phased by the big moment playing in the SEC for four years.
    It’s no guarantee that eh wins the job but the chips are stacked in his favor based over salary. Even if Carpenter wins the competition in Training Camp as long as its close I still expect Sturgis to get the nod. Funny that our most important impact rookie comes at Kicker and in the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] round, but with a youth movement you’ve gotta get younger.
    Stats: 24 FGM, 28 FGA, 85.7%, Long of 53 yards

Round 7: Don Jones S: Last but not least and not least as in he eventually will produce like a higher pick. He got a lot of interest in the pre-draft process and some said he could be a middle round guy. He is a safety who can cover like a corner, more than fine by me. I like Clemons but need to see him produce one more year like last to be sold. Still, we lack a true ball hawk in our secondary and I really would like to see someone step up. Jones is a stud but needs a guy who can roam back in center field and make the plays to change a game.
    Jones playing at a small school didn’t get much hype but he did produce for Arkansas PB. I figure Jones to either play a role on ST or PS for year one. I feel though he could eventually beat out Jimmy Wilson because he is way more physically gifted. Could he be a starter? Possibly but who knows. In the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] round if he can contribute on a regular basis that is great value any day.

Let me know your thoughts with these guys but if we can measure last year’s rookie impact I will feel good. But in this group alone we could produce a Pro-Bowl Pass Rusher, Starting CB, and Starting Guard, role playing OLB, a #2 RB, a starting Kicker, and some piece in the secondary. Ireland has definitely addressed some needs via draft if this one works out we have a solid core to grow with while keep adding pieces.
    A preview to 2014 our needs on Offense will most likely depend on Martin’s development at LT, as well as how our Guard situation plays out. But we most likely will be drafting a RT or Guard at some point. Also if Keller is a one and done TE will need to be addressed. But, ultimately I’d like to see us draft a WR who we can develop under Philbin’s tutelage. I know you might think I am crazy as we spent a good amount of $$$ on the position this year. Never hurts to cultivate though.
    On Defense the glaring need is determined by Solai and Starks decision sure to come next offseason. If you gave me a second to decide I’d say Starks. But realizing Odrick could be a similar player to Starks at DT I might reconsider for Solai due to the fact he eats up blocks. Still, DT will definitely be addressed in the draft. If we resign one of our guys then I hope it isn’t a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] round pick we spend on a DT. Depending on how our LB overhaul looks we should be good unless Misi needs to be replaced. With two young CB’s and a veteran on a one year deal CB will probably be considered. But if Clemons doesn’t work out I wouldn’t mind us addressing FS in a top pick and try to match Seattle’s secondary mirrors. Regardless I like our direction and am counting the days till the season.

RoninFin4, rafael, Unlucky 13 and 6 others like this.
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm interested to get a beat on who we should look at early in next years draft myself..lets hope it isn't on the oline or Dline..

3. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Yeah, I am focused on our year this year but in reality with our short term contracts we will need to draft well again. But, looking at last years and the potential of this years our system has definetly gotten better.

DJphinfan... What positions could you see us addressing in next years draft. Mine go as follows no particular order

Right Tackle - Not sure whether Clabo is a stop gap or what not but if we don't resign him we will need this to be address not worth a 1st rounder tho...Maybe Jerry there?
    Tight End - Keller is a one year rental that could be a try and buy, but he may play so well he demands a huge payday. My hope is he performs and we resign him during the year. Sims could be something to hold onto as well really depends. Regardless I see us taking another one.
    Defensive Tackle - Solai/Starks are Free Agent's and we won't keep both...no shot. But do we keep one? My hope is yes but regardless we have to draft someone. I believe Odrick will play there more this year at DT and should move their fulltme in 2014.
    OLB - Really depends on Misi and if he doesn't play up to snub does Jenkins or Kaddu step up to warrant a shot. Still I could see us rounding out with another atheltic LB.
    CB- Grimes is a one year rental but same thing as Keller if he performs lock him up for 2-3 years, he is almost 30 after all. My hope is Taylor becomes a bonafide starter, and Davis becomes a projected one. Still, in this league my goal is to draft a CB just about every year or every other. We just need the right fit.
    S- Jones better be locked up (Plain and Simple) but Clemons needs to show me he can be consistent. Still, if he isn't I think a ball hawking FS is a must have to round out our secondary.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    You pointed out the possible positions of need, I believe we have to get more dangerous in the offense, so in a perfect world, Martin will solidify the position, Odrick will be a more effective player on the inside, so we then can go weapon..I think we're set at linebacker, corner (resign grimes), prolly Dline, so it leaves us with safety maybe on defense, wide receiver and tight end on offense..

If I had to pick a player today out of the draft that would impact us most it would be Colt lyeria..you wanna talk about a bad ***..I think he would be a perfect fit for us, very unique football player, attitude and instant identity, and one of the most explosive players you will ever see.

5. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I hate the Will Davis pick. We passed on so many better players at that spot.

6. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Kinda hard to know before any of them play a down.