1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 draft thread

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ToddPhin, May 3, 2013.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I just know I'm going to dislike Johnny Manziel when it's finally time to evaluate him for the draft. It's Tim Tebow all over again for me. Everyone's going to be telling me how much I have to love the guy because he's just "a winner" and "a play maker" and I'm still going to dislike him. On the positive side, there definitely are traces of Jeff Garcia in his game. But it's hard for me to imagine ending up liking him.

I'm sure this isn't the right forum for this but I'm just tickled that we reeled this guy in. He doesn't even qualify as an underclassman, because he's still not even a senior in high school! Shall we start a thread for the 2017 Draft? I've had my eye on this guy for over a year, and he's given a verbal commit to USF. He's had an offer from LSU on the table for about a year already, and he did some tours at Bama and Louisville before choosing USF this past week. They don't make too many 17 year old quarterback prospects that look like this.

[video=youtube;BiXqX8GH8nk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiXqX8GH8nk[/video]

ToddPhin likes this.
  2. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Litton caught my eye in the Nat'l 7 on 7 competition while I was checking out his receiver, Artavis Scott, who's likely to end up at Clemson. Litton seems like he has some potential and might be underrated by the scouting services (wouldn't be the first time).

3. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He's cut from stone for what a pro style passing prospect should look and throw like.

4. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    He looks like it. Big kid with plenty of room left on that frame to reach prototypical NFL size.

Who's that monster hauling in the catch between defenders on the still shot of the video? Looks like Magic Johnson from here. lol

5. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You're probably looking at George Campbell. Does this look like who you're talking about?

[video=youtube;VmL64jAp808]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmL64jAp808[/video]

You're going to hear about him in a year, if not sooner. Monster. He's 6'4" and about 200 lbs and he keeps setting one of the best 40 times whenever he shows up at one of those little Combines.

And you know where most teams are looking at him? Defensive End!

That's the kind of guy that could even end up a 5-star prospect by the end.

6. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Is that the kid in the white shirt shown on the Litton clip before you hit play? Regardless.... wow.
    At first look, the kid I was talking about looks like he's 6'4 230ish with some strong legs.

7. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Bad day for Ohio State draft eligibles.

RB Carlos Hyde is dismissed from the team.

CB Bradley Robey is arrested. He might have been a top 10 pick if he were clean. (still might)

8. NUGap

NUGap Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Looks like Hyde only suspended pending the outcome of the charges/ violations of student code, not dismissed totally as of previous reporting. Still a chance he'll be playing this year. (http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072213aaa.html)

9. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Chris, I know I've already dropped his name but if you want a specimen at WR check out Martavis Bryant. Physically looks like a future Brandon Marshall. Will be taking over Nuk Hopkins' role on the boundary after Chad Morris initially thought Sammy Watkins would be doing it. The kid is becoming a beast.

Here he is on the left last year as a sophomore. Makes Sammy look small. Check out that arm length!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's a big dude.

11. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If he keeps his head on straight his jersey number will match his draft round. Sammy might not be my most coveted Clemson receiver come next draft.

12. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Hyde has been cleared, video surveillance proved he struck NO ONE. Kinda ****ty he was assumed guilty even by his own coach.

13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Someone is gonna get their very own Dion Jordan...what a player..

I remember a month ago Millen putting 5 other linebackers ahead of this guy...lol.

14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Sorry but I'm posting another pic now that there's a recent one. Does this kid look like a Brandon Marshall clone or what. How often do you see receivers stretch out size XL jerseys?

[​IMG]

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Anthony Barr is very good.

16. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I just uploaded Barr's game against Arizona St.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZy-ndG2a6s

Pretty much all of his snaps I think he sat out of maybe 6-8 defensive snaps.

ckparrothead likes this.
  17. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    watched the first 5 minutes, did he do anything on that video besides getting blocked ?

18. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Barr had a sack or 2, a few QB hits/hurries. They ran a lot of screens and ran mainly a hurry up during that game.

19. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'm such a pass rush whore I wouldn't be opposed to spending another 1st on one next year.

PhinsRDbest and Fin D like this.
  20. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I'd be down, can't never have enough pass rushers.

ToddPhin likes this.
  21. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    ToddPhin likes this.
  22. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
  23. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
  24. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    LSU LB Lamin Barrow had looked like a beast so far against UF.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    If Mariota decides to come out..said this last year, he's #1 on my board...

Kid is 19 years old right now..lol..

26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I said the same thing about Amobi Okoye when everyone went gaga over his age.

A guy being young is not a reason you go after him. It's nice, but the most important thing is what he does on the field. Amobi Okoye was good for his age but he wasn't necessarily just plain good.

I think the same is really true of Marcus Mariota, as far as him playing an NFL style quarterback role. You really look closely at his game, there's so much he's not doing that he will need to do at the next level. It's not like Cam Newton, IMO. It's even different from Robert Griffin, IMO...who by the way, ain't lookin so hot.

I'm going to need to see him actually DO those things before I just assume he's going to do them simply because he's young.

Give me Teddy Bridgewater all day over Mariota. Give me Jameis Winston all day over Mariota. Hell, I may even take Zach Mettenberger over him right now.

UCF FINatic and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  27. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Another player that came out super young was Randy Starks (20 years old). Young players usually have a really high ceiling because there is a reason they get drafted, that being said it usually takes them a while to come into their own; Randy became the dominant force he is now when he came to the Dolphins. So as a team drafting a young guy you really have to ask yourself if you think he will help your team out or the next team.

I agree with CK about Mariota. I think he has a lot of things he needs to improve upon, but again the talent is there. If he does declare it would be best for a team to draft him and use him as a backup for 1-3 years as he learns the nuances of the position. Again, that being said you have to decide whether you think the best learning takes place on the football field or via practice with coaches, etc. Also would you trust a 19 year old that cannot even legally drink with a contract worth millions and a locker room that isn't exactly a place known for levelheaded individuals?

In the coming draft, Bridgewater is my guy. He kind of reminds me of Aaron Rodgers.

Personally, from what I have seen I am not that crazy about Boyd but I do need to watch him more. He seems like he could be drafted in the 1st to 2nd though.

As far as future drafts, my guys as of now are Jameis Winston, Brett Hundley, and possibly Kevin Hogan (although I would like to see more out of him).

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Brett Hundley is another guy, maybe I've just seen some bad games of his...but he's not where he needs to be yet clearly. He may get there in the future, but he also may not, and I'd prefere not to take that chance. It's chancy enough as is to take guys that have shown you what you need to see assuming they'll keep showing it.

Tajh Boyd is probably the top senior, and maybe when push came to shove if I'm a team in desperate need of a QB and have horrible options otherwise, I might even use a 1st round pick on him. But that 1st rounder would be sort of like an E.J. Manuel or Christian Ponder 1st rounder. It has to be done knowing full well there's a good percentage chance you're throwing the pick down the toilet and so you have to keep adding to that position until you've got the franchise guy you want.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm just goofin on how good he is at his age..his age isn't the point..his talent is.

30. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    This kid marquess north from tennesee has made two very long catches today that were just draw droppingly good..one of them I'm still trying to figure out how he did it, the degree of difficulty was a 10..

True fresh..unreal.

31. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Hey CK,
    Thought you might like to know Chris Jones has 3.5 sacks, 4 QB hits, and 17 tackles the past three weeks. [for the Patriots though uggg]

32. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
  33. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I rather take Mettenberger or Murray in the second round if available. Need to bring in legitimate competition for Tannehill.

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He's a beast. Regardless of the stupid penalty that lost them the game.

35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Mariota has 29tds on the season, 0 turnovers..

Big game tonite against Hundley...

36. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Man I'd love to see Mike Evans in aqua & orange. Our offense sorely needs a big physical playmaker like him. See what Terrance Williams is doing against single coverage with Dez drawing extra attention. No way Evans doesn't better that. We've got Wallace drawing extra attention and who do we have on the other side not taking full advantage of it, a possession receiver who couldn't defeat an armless torso after the catch or on a jump ball or endzone fade. IMO if we wanna get the most from Wallace we need to put a stud receiver opposite him who will ultimately command some attention of his own.

37. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Was thinking this too, it stinks that we are going to have to address the offensive line. Having another gamebreaker would be spectacular, and would help Tannehill much like Matt Ryan has both Roddy White and Julio Jones.

38. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yeah, or like how Alshon Jeffery is now accenting Brandon Marshall. It's like if you have one playmaking receiver you almost need a second just so defenses can't readily game plan to minimize him. I'd love to see Wallace facing less safety help over the top b/c a virtual Brandon Marshall clone is opposite him [Mike Evans]... or Sammy Watkins in the slot who looks phenomenal this year.

Personally, if Oline options are available in FA I'd address them then for several reasons. A, we have the cap space. B, there's minimal length to impact with a veteran so the line could conceivably be satisfactory next year, where as relying on rookies could leave us waiting to see the reward. C, I'd hate to be pigeonholed in having to draft for need and potentially watch us forego a true impact player b/c we're forced to take a tackle. D, if at all possible I'd prefer to save 1st rounders for the types of players who either aren't readily available in FA or are expensive in FA like receivers, pass rushers, free safeties, defensive tackles, and tight ends, all of the stud variety.

texanphinatic likes this.
  39. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Carlos Hyde is just a pure runner, just enough speed to be drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Put him on Alabama and he's Eddie Lacy.

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah. He's a man crush member for sure. He's pretty ridiculous.