1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 draft thread

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ToddPhin, May 3, 2013.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    That's a good decision. I'm not sure he'd have gone above the 3rd round. Maybe the 2nd round if he blew the doors off the Combine with his tangibles.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  2. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    What trade value do players who were signed under the new CBA have? Are there any restrictions on trades? The reason I ask is because local sports radio (Central Ohio) was talking about what value Cousins would have on the open market. I do not fully grasp this.

3. NUGap

NUGap Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Speaking of Andre Williams, Carlos Hyde and Jeremy Hill - here's a piece I wrote on the big backs of the draft.

http://secondroundstats.com/2013/12/05/battle-of-the-big-running-backs-a-metrics-breakdown/

TL;DR from the breakdown:

ssmiami and ckparrothead like this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Jordan lynch is 34 years old...

5. NUGap

Jul 29, 2012
    Let's talk Bridgewater. Obviously not a Dolphins target, but still a fun topic. I've moved onto charting QBs for this year's draft. I started off with my fav guy Teddy. (If Bortles declares he'll be first on my to-do list, Chris). These won't be posted to my site any time soon since I'm saving them for Jan when there's more draft buzz, but I want to put the Bridgewater one out here first.

In this thread (http://www.thephins.com/forums/show...ck-up-to-past-drafted-QBs-A-Metrics-Breakdown) I shared an aggregate scoring system for QBs that I created. In light of that I'm going to run through the type of stats I used for that and see how this year's Bridgewater stacks up.

The first thing we can say is that Bridgewater was throwing deeper more and doing it better than last year. The average distance of a completion went from 7.0 to 7.5 yards. Using STATS' zones for comparisons, Bridgewater's 6-15 yard completion percentage went from 70.5% to 73.5% and his 16+ completion percentage went from 45.7% to 47%. His 20+ completion % this year was exactly 50% after adjusting for drops.

Against the blitz, his completion percentage improved markedly from 63% to 68% and his throws into coverage (deflections and interceptions) stayed pretty constant at around 6% which is in the elite territory for a college QB. On third down his completion percentage stayed constant at 66%. The biggest drop off in his numbers was in red zone completion percentage which went from 64% to 58%. This year's red zone completion percentage would be among the lowest for recently drafted to QBs, which is not great considering his ability to throw to noted red zone freak Davante Parker.

Bridgewater's QB aggregate score last year was 73.82, this year it's 72.8. Essentially it's a wash. If you wanted to get worried about Bridgewater you could point to the fact that overall he didn't "improve". However the things that I consider most important - intermediate/deep accuracy, completion percentage against the blitz all increased so I'm not too worried.

This year I kept tabs on the exact location of targets. The end result is the ability to create a pass location chart. This was my first pass at doing so, it'll get prettier over time. The bigger the circle the more often that location was targeted, the darker red the higher the completion percentage. It should give you a feel for where he's throwing the ball and how well he's doing so. It'd probably be cooler if you could compare it against say...AJ McCarrons, but I haven't had the time to get to other QBs, so here it is by itself.

[​IMG]

ckparrothead and ssmiami like this.
  6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Brian Griese is a bit down on Teddy B. He has him third behind Bortles and Manziel.

But the thing he revealed that was interesting is several teams have Bortles as the top QB, not Teddy B.

7. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I know he is only a true freshman but man is DE Joey Bosa putting on a clinic for Ohio State. It's a shame talent like that left Ft. Lauderdale to go all the way up to Ohio.

It's early but he has the JJ Watt size, strength, and closing ability to him should be fun to watch him develop over the next two seasons.

8. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    What's everyones opinion on Tre Mason?

He reminds me a bit of the Muscle Hamster. Has some wiggle and leg drive to him. It's hard evaluating backs in offenses like that, but I've been impressed with him.

9. NUGap

Jul 29, 2012
    I LOVE Tre Mason. I have since before the season when I wrote this about him:

When I did the stats last year for my RB 'extra yardage' scale which takes into account yards after contact and broken tackles, Tre Mason received the highest score of all RBs drafted from two years ago and topped every RB in that measure in the 2012/2013 season. He has excellent balance and determination to get extra yardage. Not only that but he's excellent at finding the endzone with 18 on the year. I haven't charted him at all this year because I didn't know if he'd be coming out, but his consistency on last year's bad Auburn team and this year's team tell me his success is not some anomalous fluke of Malzahn's offense kicking in with Nick Marshall.

If he declared he'd be in my top 5 RBs, I'm not sure where in the top 5...but up there for sure.

UCF FINatic and MrClean like this.
  10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Tre Mason is a very good back.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

His dad would have been a fine player for us if he had not suffered a severe knee injury.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  12. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Was wondering if that was John Bosa's son.

He was in that span of draft picks that really didn't work out well and ended up costing Miami until ...well ........................