1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Feb 21, 2014.

1. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
  2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    There is no "true" time out there. It doesn't exist. There are a multitude of times based on a multitude of methodologies and timers.

When it comes to priorities on the 40 time, here are my priorities:

1. My own times
    2. NFL Draft Scout (times provided by Rob Rang's SportsXchange)
    3. NFL Network UNOFFICIAL time

I would put the "OFFICIAL" time 4th but the truth is, I don't even have it prioritized. I discard it like my baby daughter's diapers. Except when it helps earn me a bit of extra income.

3. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    i hear ya, but i just really want a power rb. sankey is probably the best in the draft for that in my opinion. those 26 reps just reinforced it. i can only imagine what he squats, which would really show his power. he and miller could be a nice combo if we use them right.

4. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    yeah, i go stictly by rob rang's time. his analysis is usually spot on too.

5. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Particularly w/ the current CBA it makes sense to have more picks, more chances, spend less money.

6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It's not that it's more accurate, to me it's that it's apples-to-apples with the past.

NFL Draft Scout boasts an entire database of searchable 40 times and other Combine measurements and you can be relatively certain that the methodologies are apples to apples which is always preferable to apples to oranges.

It doesn't matter to me whether Rang's times are closer or farther away to the "true" time than National Scouting's "official" times (which no team uses, incidentally). All that matters is internal consistency and comparability.

7. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Is this who you think would be best rb left in 2nd? Combine site said "Lacks ideal bulk and functional run strength -- not a robust tackle-breaker. Too often grounded by single-tacklers or tripped up by the ankles."

8. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    rang is one of the few draft guys i trust. personally, i usually do mock drafts and grades right before each draft and consistently beat out the likes of mel kiper, todd mcshay, walterfootball, and alot other experts that people like to trust. i stopped listening to them a long time ago. rang is probably the best evaluator out there in my opinion (along with a couple of the guys from rotoworld). i sometimes disagree on some of his later round rankings, but for the most part, he's usually on point.

9. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    i think he's the top rb in the draft, personally. the others have ran behind all-american linemen. sankey produced with a mediocre o-line and mediocre passing game. opponents knew he was the focal point and still couldnt stop him. where did you see that analysis at?

10. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    NFL.com Here ya' go:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/bishop-sankey?id=2543682

I always felt that way about Alabama rb's; who knew how good they were, they never got touched in the backfield, rarely faced any adversity.

11. phinswolverinesrockets

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    i hear ya...and that theory about college rbs is usually more right than wrong when evaluating them as nfl prospects. of course there are a few exceptions.

12. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    yeah. Don't have to be a Von Miller type athlete to be a good pass rusher if all you're doing is coming downhill. His height plays to his advantage, and despite how stiff his hips are in making sudden reactionary movements [like in the LB drills], he has the balance and control to get low and turn the corner well. He certainly isn't a tugboat Damontre Moore, and unlike Moore, Sam creates his own sacks. He reminds me of Larry English but without the poor first step [which is why I had Larry off my draft board]. English checked in at 6'2 255, 4.82 forty, a weak 8'11 broad jump. Very similar bodies. You have to go through nearly his entire highlight clip below [until the sack at 8:20] to catch English getting a great get off, the type more routinely seen from Sam.
    [video=youtube;Iv0AJfHBZG4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv0AJfHBZG4[/video]

Sam has that great first step though, and I think that first step is what will let him see some success in the NFL b/c tackles can't just focus on taking away his outside rush, as Sam can burst through the B gap leaving the tackle reaching for air. As lackluster as his COD is, his lateral ability looks pretty good actually [see below at 5:23, 4:30, 2:49]. He's gonna get drafted by Seattle, Jax, or the like and play that wider downhill LEO position that he's built perfectly for b/c he'll have enough width to work the offensive tackle inside or outside [like the bottom SC clip 0:48], and won't need to worry about dropping in coverage nor being a liability against the run. I don't agree with Mayock that he's a tweener or doesn't have a DE body. That almost sounded suspiciously contrived to me. He's 6'2 261 for heck sake, not 6'4 245. Cliff Avril & Chris Clemons don't go more than 260. Plus, when it comes to occasional coverage duties, he can drop off in short zone and not have to run with someone downfield [example in the bottom SC clip 4:07].

Then you look at the sack at 5:02 and you think, "if he gets into yoga religiously, he can get a foot lower on that right tackle and turn the corner another 5 degrees sharper, plus get a hair quicker coming out of his stance which it already impressive as it is". Add that to his natural height-leverage advantage and he could be an 8+ sack guy IMO.

At 6:08 he's standing up over center. He has a nice little delay, then finds his way around traffic to the edge and turns the corner unabated for the sack. This could be a schemed stunt but it also looks like it could be unscripted when you piece together both replays. In the 6:08 one, you can see him eyeballing it up like a lion trying to figure out how to get around his cage to a sheep. Off the snap, he's either selling the A-gap pressure to set up the stunt paired with the DE's inside spin, or the A-gap is where he wanted to go but got corrected by the guard taking a hard step inside. I'm guessing if it were schemed that way, #57 would show a little more enthusiasm about his part in creating the big sack. Plus, #57 doesn't look like he's just going through the motions; looks like he wanted a sack, and perhaps didn't show as much enthusiasm as his teammates b/c he got owned on the play. Now, go back to the start of the play as Sam gets ready to engage the guard. You can see him glance toward his left at the DE/RT matchup. Rather than trying to fight the guard inside, he seems to recognize the favorable position of the DE/RT who are a few yards into the backfield with no RB in sight and realizes he needs to take it around the corner. Just seems like an instinctual sack.

At 0:54 he stunts to the inside, and there isn't much wasted movement despite his issues with stiffness. He should be able to use his height to his advantage here as well, dipping and getting around the guard. Again, a lot of yoga and his efficiency on this play probably increases by another 10-15%.

[video=youtube;2DrIN0b25OI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DrIN0b25OI[/video]

What concerns me is I don't see him converting speed to power, which he should be able to do at his height/leverage and get off. But then again his bench sucked and so did his explosion tests so that would explain why we don't see much in that department. Don't see a counter move/spin and probably never will because of his stiffness, so he's really gonna have to get his strength & explosion up to be a 3 tool rusher. The yoga would help here as well b/c he doesn't look like he lacks power; he looks like the rubber bands running through his legs are so tight that it's creating resistance, or like trying to turn a rusty screw vs one that's just been W-D 40'd. I'd like to see how close he can get to touching his toes.

Here's a prime example in back to back plays of the speed to power stuff [2:11 below]. First play is the power, or enough of it to show he should be capable of converting speed to power. It's 3 & 1, obvious run. Sam drives the 6'6 330 pound redshirt sophomore Brandon Shell [Freshman All American in 2012, #4 ranked OT for 2016] into the backfield. Very next play Sam has Shell set up to plant on his *** if he converts his rush to power. The opportunity is right there for the taking. If he can loosen up those tendons and muscles to allow a jolt mid-rush, he could've rocked Shell back and taken the easy sack. Granted the hand/arm technique needs to be there too.... but that can be corrected. There's a lot of good stuff in this SC tape BTW. 7:34 should be an easy sack if he could explode into Shelly through a speed to power move. Sam left a handful of sacks on the field.
    2:44 he's driving Shell backward again a few yards. 3:31- back-to-back short yardage plays against #81 Rory Anderson [3rd ranked TE of 2015, 6'5 245]. Sam beats him silly inside, one for a crucial TFL on 3rd & 1. Pair that with the impressive 2nd & 1 stuff at 0:07. What I find interesting about the SC tape is, even though Sam is against Shelly, and even though Mizzou has Kony Ealy on the right side, it's Sam who sees most of the doubles and chips. I'm too tired to watch any more. LOL. Don't see the 3rd-5th round talk. Looks like a 2nd rounder to me, or a 3rd with 2nd round upside.
    [video=youtube;gn1SqUYaM68]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn1SqUYaM68[/video]

Hiruma78, MrClean and Limbo like this.
  13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If combine predictions were weekly I'd quit my job..it's all good, your in tune with matching up with what you see on tape with the players themselves and matched up against others, then you process it to flat out speed and quickness in underwear..

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    If cant wait to see Colt lyerla either blow up the NFL or crap his career down the toilet..what an incredible talent.

15. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    I'm with you on that, and the likes of Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson certainly don't disprove the theory. Eddie Lacey's the only one that might break the streak, and in some ways he was the least heralded of the three.

16. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Unfortunately the smart money's probably on the latter.

Someone on another site said they'd read he'd been removed off a lot of team's boards because of interviews at the Combine, I've not seen any reports of that myself but it will be a shame if his head stops him getting to the level, and being the player, that he could be.

17. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
  18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Jesus Phillip Gaines, that was probabaly the most enjoyable forty I've seen..

19. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Corners killing it here so far. Dennard and Fuller both in 4.4s. Thoughts on either at 19? Did we sink too many resources into corner last year to spend a top pick?

20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    There's a lot of good times for the DBs so far. Kyle Fuller, Darqueze Dennard, Justin Gilbert, Ross Cockrell and Deone Buchanon I think helped themselves a bunch. So did Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Phillip Gaines continues to look good in the field drills..tall corner where the movement matches up with someone shorter.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    One of the coolest parts of the NFL network coverage, having Deion sanders on the field just scoping those boys.

23. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    In my honest opinion we sunk resources into bad prospects. I somewhat understand Will Davis and I am very intrigued to see what he does from here but I was not a big fan of a 2nd round pick on Jamar Taylor at all.

At that pick we could have had guys like TE Vance McDonald, FS D.J. Swearinger, LB Sio Moore, LB Arthur Brown, CB Robert Alford, RB Eddie Lacy, TE Travis Kelce, OG Larry Warford, OT Terron Armstead or WR Terrance Williams. All of them would have been preferable to Jamar Taylor, IMO. Mind you I'm not trying to use hindsight and just pick out guys that performed well as rookies. In fact Armstead, Swearinger, McDonald, Brown and Kelce didn't really perform great. But I still have more confidence in them than Jamar Taylor. Guys like Larry Warford, Sio Moore, Eddie Lacy and Terrance Williams all performed far better than Jamar Taylor.

Then the Dolphins compounded the problem by taking Dallas Thomas while guys like WR Marquise Goodwin, WR Markus Wheaton, OG Hugh Thornton, DE Corey Lemonier and WR Stedman Bailey were all on the board.

And then they didn't sit tight and gave up picks to move up for Will Davis even though LB Zaviar Gooden and DE Alex Okafor were still on the board.

They took Jelani Jenkins and Dion Sims with C/G Brian Schwenke, S Shamarko Thomas, CB B.W. Webb, LB Khaseem Greene, RB Johnathan Franklin, WR Quinton Patton and DE Devin Taylor on the board.

Though I somewhat liked Mike Gillislee, however I thought the resources on he and Caleb Sturgis could have been better spent on RB Dennis Johnson, WR Mark Harrison, SLWR Da'Rick Rogers, TE Joseph Fauria, OT Xavier Nixon, DE Cornelius Washington, DT Kwame Geathers, ILB Vince Williams, SLB A.J. Klein, WLB Jake Knott, SS Baccari Rambo, FS Josh Evans, CB Jordan Poyer or NCB Nickell Robey, who were all the highest remaining on my board for their position/role.

24. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Deion notices Gaines.." He looks good"

Charles Davis singles him out as most impressive and as someone who no one was looking at but stood out"

It's what I saw as well.

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Damn it Calvin..

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Purifoy just continues to drop in my book.

27. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    McGill 4.47 at 6-3, could put him at the top of 2nd round, depending on what teams clock him at.

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    On tape McGill looks stuck in mud at times. Brandin Cooks torched him when they played. Cooks had a tougher time against Terrance Mitchell who ran a 4.60 unofficial but whose hips move easier.

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Jason Verrett just ran a 4.41.

That's awesome. Really stabilizes him as a 1st round player which is where I have him. I was kind of worried that he might run something slow and get knocked out. I'd have him in the 1st round all the same but I just hate the annoying people that try and pretend I don't know what the hell I'm talking about just because I grade a guy 1st round and he actually goes 2nd or 3rd round.

30. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Ed Reynolds running 4.6's was disappointing.

31. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    That does not surprise me. Cooks will torch a lot of people with 1.50 10-yard and 4.30, a lot of players. McGill has 1.60 10 yard and 4.47.

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Just running down my corners board and Fuller, Dennard, Verrett and Gilbert my four 1st rounders all have shown very well in the 40.

However my next group is mixed as Ross Cockrell did very well but Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Terrance Mitchell did not. Chris Davis did not run.

My final group includes Pierre Desire and Nevin Lawson, both of whom ran 4.52. E.J. Gaines and Aaron Colvin did not run. Shaquille Richardson was not invited.

Mind you some standouts like Phillip Gaines and Dontae Johnson are not there because I haven't gotten round to digging into their tape.

33. TooGoodForDez

Feb 26, 2013
    Roby should be in the first group as well.

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    No thanks. The second group potentially though.

35. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    god I'm so glad Ireland is gone.

36. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If you put another 5-6 pounds on Verrett, I wonder if he would kill it at as a ballhawking Cover-1/3 free safety.

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think corner is more valuable. I tend not to move guys around unless there's compelling reason to do so. When guys have to learn a new position it really damagers their chances of making it period.

38. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Typically excellent info as I've come to expect from you as pertains the draft. I agree about Sam. I wouldn't worry too much on his Underwear Olympics numbers. I guess I am thinking too much maybe about how poorly Bryan Cox worked out, then due to his anticipation, hand use and instincts, he became a pretty good pass rusher when Miami had him lined up outside. He also had the knack of making himself skinny and able to slither between blockers. I think get off and hand use are the two primary pass rush traits one should look for. Of course other traits help too, but those two can makeup quite a lot for lack of elite speed and strength.

ToddPhin likes this.
  39. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Jairus Byrd made the transition his first year. McCourty made it quickly too. Both are naturals, just like Verrett is. Personally, if it were between a good corner and a potentially great safety, I'd place more value on the safety. If it were between a good corner and a good Cover-1/3 free safety, I'd take the safety. If it were between nickel corner and starting FS, I'd prefer the FS, especially since he can come up and play like a corner when needed ala Tyron Mathieu who would be relegated to the sideline in base D had Zona left him at corner only. So I'm just thinking in terms of what Mayock suggested, that a lot of teams might view Verrett as a nickel corner and could draft him as such. So if that happens, why not see if you can get his playmaking ability on the field as your FS in base D?

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Jairus Byrd was forced to make the transition to safety by the fact that he tested with 4.7 speed. How many players are forced to make position switches due to limitations and completely fizzle out? How many dozen? PER YEAR.

The Patriots played Devin McCourty at corner for 2.5 years before deciding they're better with him at safety. So, fine. If you'd like to move Jason Verrett to safety, we can discuss it midway through the 2016 season. :)

Still not even seeing any compelling reasons to do this. Verrett has no limitations and he's been playing corner at TCU and he's been awesome as a corner. Stedman Bailey said he was the toughest corner he ever faced, and I've heard others chime agreement. What's the compelling reason for the move? Are we moving everyone to safety? Kyle Fuller and Darqueze Dennard too? Ross Cockrell?