1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 Dolphins Off-season Needs

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Disgustipate, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm going to watch some video of him now. I'd like to go WR or OL early if a player worthy of our pick is available. However after that I'm hoping for a defensive minded off season. I'd like to see us take a couple secondary guys and linebackers.

2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Holliman or Eskridge would be great.

3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Holliman is terrible as a tackler. As unphysical as they come. I watched some cutups and kept catching myself saying wtf and "Oh come on, man."

Eskridge I could live with. Actually took him in one of those draft simulations. lol.

Your Picks:
    Round 2 Pick 11 (NYG): P.J. Williams, CB, Florida State (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 16: Lorenzo Doss, CB, Tulane (C+)
    Round 2 Pick 26 (DAL): Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami (Fla.) (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 32 (N.E.): Arie Kouandjio, OG, Alabama (A)
    Round 3 Pick 16: Eric Kendricks, ILB, UCLA (B)
    Round 4 Pick 11 (NYG): David Cobb, RB, Minnesota (B)
    Round 4 Pick 16: Durrell Eskridge, FS, Syracuse (B+)
    Round 4 Pick 30 (SEA): E.J. Bibbs, TE, Iowa State (B+)
    Round 5 Pick 16: Vince Mayle, WR, Washington State (B-)

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  4. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Todd, if Miami can't get JPP in Free Agency who in the draft would be good fit for Coyle's RDE position?

5. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If that couldn't happen, the next best bet might be to have Hickey tap his ole Tampa well for Adrian Clayborn who can line up as a traditional DE but at 6'3 280 also has the ability to play the closed end role head-up on the left tackle, and in nickel he can rush from the interior to make room from Vernon at RDE. He missed this year with a torn bicep so he should come fairly cheap. I wouldn't let him deter me from drafting an appropriate DE, however, because his short contract could provide a transitional bridge in case a rookie isn't ready to start immediately.

Draft wise, Shawn Oakman probably climbs to or near the top of my board, unless he doesn't make it out of the top 10 which wouldn't surprise me. He's already a beast at 6'7 280 and carries it impressively well. He's gonna be ridiculous once he fully grows into that athletic, long frame. Plus he's accustomed to the right side, opposite the left side only Wake. Oakman at 290 paired with a trimmed down Dion Jordan at OLB could prove quite menacing. I wouldn't let Olivier Vernon prevent me from drafting Oakman, so if it came down to it, I'd trade Vernon and use that pick to move up for Oakman if need be.

I'd look heavily into signing Terrance Knighton to sure up the middle and squash our vulnerability against the run. Oakman, Knighton, and Clayborn would transform our front overnight. If Stephone Anthony [Clemson] is there in the 3rd, I still feel he represents our most natural fit at ILB with the size, physicality, instincts, and athleticism to be a complete player, something we'll never get from Misi. Target Byron Maxwell in FA to replace Finnegan. The defense would now be complete and loaded with the exception of FS, which we could use a 2nd on unless that goes to replacing Hartline.

ssmiami and Da 'Fins like this.
  6. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    and it looks like Oakman is returning to Baylor for his senior year.

7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Yup. Just heard that today. Was a big surprise.

Duke Williams or Auburn also staying in school.

8. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Fuuuuuuuq.

obviously this decision was made with the knowledge Philbin and probably Coyle will be returning next year.

ssmiami likes this.
  9. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    You draft gurus out there have any idea what position the Dolphins might go after with the 14th pick? WR looks to be a strong possibility with the whole Wallace thing now... any guys we should be looking out for? How about defensive guys? Need a big overhaul there as well... Curious to see what Hickey does in his second season and with a higher pick than he had last year.

10. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Catching up on these prospects as I don't normally follow college football... Based on the videos I saw, I really liked this Kevin White kid, looks like he can be that number 1 receiver we've been missing. Guy's got some good speed too ... I saw an interview of his and he looks to fit the classic Philbin "soft-spoken" mold. Any chance he might fall to us at 14?

11. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I really like Jaelen Strong if we go WR. Outside Cooper I think he is the most talented WR.

12. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Then ixnay an end in the irstfay. Receiver in the first and then target Arik Armstead [Oregon] in the 2nd to become that athletic jumbo closed end we need. That's a solid looking player right there. Strong hands, strong core body strength, and offers a nice jolt for such a long DE [6'7 290]. Knows how to translate his length and aforementioned attributes into leverage. I don't think he's a 1st rounder b/c he's not gonna offer elite sack production, but he looks like a very good player for a very long time, the kind of player you win with.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    You usually can't nail it down to a position when you're picking in the middle, and for good reason. This isn't Wal-Mart where you can just choose which brand of this or that to go with and each is the same.

I think that Kevin White and Jaelen Strong are possibilities at receiver. I think the safety Landon Collins is a possibility if he's still available. I think Shaq Thompson and Bernardrick McKinney are possibilities at linebacker. I think some corners like Trae Waynes or P.J. Williams are possibilities (probably not Ifo Ekpre-Olomu because of the ACL tear and probably not Marcus Peters due to the disciplinary stuff). If they botch up free agency and part ways with Odrick and Starks without a big time replacement, then Danny Shelton is a possibility.

That should about cover it I think.

Zanno, Brasfin and ssmiami like this.
  14. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You think Parker is gone by 14?

I think Jaelen Strong is a guy who will be there in the 2nd round.

15. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Personally, I think it'd provide a greater net improvement to stay with Jenkins at WILL and hope Stephone Anthony lasts till the 3rd, freeing up our 1st for something else.

16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    My feeling is that by draft day it will be the opposite.

ssmiami likes this.
  17. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Wow. That would be interesting.

I like both guys, but think Miami would benefit more from Parker.

18. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    IMO, Jaelen Strong fits better in that he's more versatile, better run after catch, more symmetrical and balanced. DeVante Parker has a great vertical and the ability to come up with big contested catches but when you watch him running routes he looks slow and corners seem like they're keeping their leverage on him too easily. Strong also comes up with fantastic, huge catches that are contested. He has exquisite hands.

I sense that to some degree the preference around these parts for Parker versus Strong has something to do with exposure. Miami fans are more exposed to DeVante Parker and probably rarely get to see Jaelen Strong. But they make the same big plays and catches. In fact I'm pretty comfortable saying Strong's big catches are generally more impressive with better body language, fluidity, etc.

19. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Makes sense. Admittedly I've only seen several ASU games this year, and my opinion on Parker is probably partly influenced by what he did to Florida last year.

ckparrothead likes this.
  20. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I'm liking Jaelen Strong as well and he looks the Philbin/Lazor type as well.

You might have seen this video... it's an interview, but check out how he emphasizes blocking and YAC when talking about how he's gotten better... looks like he was made for Philbin and co.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls4rv_MHj_4

ckparrothead likes this.
  21. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It's Bill Lazor that will be the stickler about blocking, IMO. Not necessarily Philbin, who I honestly don't think cares.

Philbin does care about RAC though.

Brasfin likes this.