1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 First Round Draft Pick

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by TomLikePhinsUk, Apr 3, 2015.

1. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    In simplest terms, he can make something out of nothing far more than Gurley can. I believe that that ability will translate more readily to the next level than Gurley's highlights running over smaller DBs. Wisconsin's OL has a historical rep, but as I watched last season, they were not at that level. I thought Georgia's OL was superior. If you look at how much of a drop off there was between Gordon and Gurley and their back-ups, you find that there was about a yard drop in YPC from Gordon to his back-up but almost no drop off from Gurley to his back-up. Both back-ups are highly thought of, but IMO that reflects how much more special Gordon is. And if you look at how they did against similar opponents, Gordon was much better. There are obviously arguments you can make to explain those, but I saw the better back in Gordon.

2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Gurley also ran behind a better line. I agree Gurley should be a better pass protector but there's nothing on tape suggesting Gordon will be less than above average in pass protection for a primary tailback.

They're both pretty good backs so it's pointless to nitpick one in favor of the other. My issue is one has a torn ACL. The other doesn't. They both play a position with a short shelf life which means you can't think about the next 10 years when you select them. You're thinking about the next five years, which means Gurley's ACL could impair his value by as much as 20%. If you regard them similarly in talent, this choice should be easy.

But there are several who do not see similar talent. I just don't agree with them.

Pandarilla and ToddPhin like this.
  3. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    You make a good point but I still want Waynes.

4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

That is definitely enough reason to rank Gordon ahead. Gurley may well have no other knee injury in his life, but we won't know by draft day if he is likely to be good as new.

5. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I am not sure if the line was more a factor in the success of the Georgia run game or if Gurley and Chubb were. The guards were both sophomores and first time starters. One was named 2nd team All SEC. The LT was a junior in his first year as a full time starter and was HM All SEC. David Andrews, the C, was a senior and also 2nd team SEC, but not highly regarded in the upcoming draft. The RT was a full time starter for the first time. Three of five starters of a line that remained intact all year, received SEC honors, but it may be a case of, for example, a situation similar to the Chicago Bears line when Payton arrived. All the sudden some of the OL received pro bowl consideration, whereas before they were considered marginal starters. Maybe in two seasons both their currently young guards will be highly rated for the 2017 draft and it will all seem more logical to me. Right now they are ranked as the 7th and 12th guards for that draft and the LT is the 7th ranked OT for next year's draft.

6. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I can see your POV, we just disagree on how important CB is for us right now. Taylor's been hurt a bunch, Davis and Thomas are coming off of ACLs, it's a premium position, better to be safe than sorry.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The #1 CB is important. The slot CB is important (nowadays). Both safeties are important. Then you have the #2 CB. If we had average talent there you'd never notice the difference in terms of W/L record, then if we had the best CB in this draft.

There is so much more talent that would actually help us win games this year then a back up #2 CB.

8. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    I would hope we're drafting players based on how they'll affect the team for 4-5 years not just this one. What positions do u feel are more worthwhile.

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I hope that too. That's why all things being equal, draft the guy that will also help you now.

I think DT, LB & WR/PR are all more important right now. Next year, you might convince me CB is more important.

10. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Omar is now saying that if Greg Jennings is signed he believes Todd Gurley will be the pick at 14.

[​IMG]Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly
    Follow
    And in my humble opinion, if the Dolphins do sign Greg Jennings it makes me conclude Todd Gurley's the pick at 14.

CashInFist likes this.
  11. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Yes please!!!

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    But you aren't talking about a corner that will play better. You're talking about a player that MAY play better. If you had a FA in mind, we'd be closer to agreement. We're talking about a rookie, a rookie that may wash out. A rookie that may wash out at the #2 CB spot. A rookie that may wash out as the back up #2 CB.

Your last sentence doesn't make sense to me. If its not the most impactful position and we have other holes at impactful positions, then how can it be our biggest need?

13. ILDolPhan

ILDolPhan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Personally, I don't think you can rate DT as a more important need today over CB. You have 2 starters in Suh & Mitchell at DT, so the draft would just be providing depth at the position. At CB, you could essentially be drafting a CB that could compete for the #2 job week 1, because of the injury history with Taylor and Davis along with their small body of work. I liked Taylor coming out of college, and still do, but I'm not that confident in him being the starter at CB #2.

I'm looking at these positions from the necessary depth needed relative to time on the field. DT: We field a max of 2 typically (3 if you want to include short yardage/GL). CB: Nowadays it's fairly common to have 3-4 on the field at one time.

I do agree with you on LB & WR though.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    A few general things:

- The DT position overall is more important and impactful then the #2 CB position.
    - Every defensive play goes through DT.

A few specific things:

- Taylor is a fine player. We're only worried about injuries. Which means we need depth. #14 is too much for depth. Unless he's the second coming of Revis, a rookie isn't likely to unseat Taylor based on talent.
    - We are in a unique position with Suh. He's a genuine HoF player, that we can have a rookie learn from literally shoulder to shoulder.
    - The cost of Suh makes it absolutely vital to offset the cost of the position some, best way is with a rookie. We do cycle our DTs.

15. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Well, DT is likely going to be in play @14. Any combination of Malcom Brown, Danny Shelton and Eddie Goldman will likely be available for us.

Currently, I'm leaning more towards thinking that both Waynes and Parker will be picked before us, so DTs and OTs will be there to get picked.

16. ILDolPhan

ILDolPhan New Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Do you think the #3 DT is more important and impactful than the #2 CB? That's my main point is that we have 2 starters at DT, but only 1 "concrete" starter at CB in Grimes. Maybe you're not as confident in Mitchell as the starter next to Suh, then I'd see your point about that position. Personally, I'm fine with Mitchell and Suh as our starters, so I would not be thrilled drafting a DT before a CB. I hope Taylor ends up being the guy at #2 CB, but I just don't think you can go into the season assuming that.

Piston Honda likes this.
  17. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    At this point we're "hoping" not expecting that Jamar Taylor can be a quality starter. That plus Grimes' age makes CB a good option IMO. DT, WR, LB are viable as well but it's easier to find starters at those positions outside of the first round than it is for CBs, especially in a scheme like Coyle's, which asks CBs to play a lot of man and Cover 3.

18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    This makes me unhappy. Not b/c I'd have a problem with the Gurley pick (I'd love it over most other possibles outside of Gordon), but b/c Omar thinking it will happen seems to make the odds if it actually happening almost zero.

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Yes, I do. Again, all defensive plays go through DT, how many times a game is the #2 WR the target? We rotate our DTs quite a bit. In fact, corner on both sides, is the least important component of our defense.

20. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I respect all of your opinions here, but I wouldn't want to take either of those RBs. Don't get me wrong, I like them. I think they could make good NFL RBs, but I don't really see anything special in either of them. Nothing to warrant such a high pick for one. There's no unusual power or wiggle/shake and bake. I think last year was the first year that no RB was taken in the first round. I don't see these guys as mold breakers, but that aside, they may very well go in the first. They probably will, but I really want to get a RB who can compliment Miler. I want more of a big bruising, short, tough yards type of RB. That's just me. I think there are other positions and players that fill more of a need and will be BPA. I'm leaning towards Perriman/Waynes and hope we can find a good complimentary RB later on. JMO.

21. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    and if it does happen, we'll be checking outside for frogs and locusts...

Ahhh Omar...the wily cockroach of Dolphin beat writers. We fans will surely turn him into some sort of Batman villain.

rafael likes this.