1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 MLB Season Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Vertical Limit, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Shane Falco

Shane Falco Banned

Nov 22, 2015
    What a game so far, Syndergaard is dealing and Granderson with a Mays-esque catch!

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Familia just blew it... Gille with a huge clutch hit..

3. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Sucks, wanted a Mets/Jays series. Now Ill be rooting for a Cubs/Jays combo

Boik14 likes this.
  4. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    That cubs/giants series looks like a very low scoring series.. i assume Cueto is starting game 1, and theyll try to have Bumgarner ready for game 3.

5. mercurymorris22

mercurymorris22 Banned

Oct 5, 2016
    Don't ever count those SF Giants out. They are one scrappy team and just might win it all AGAIN. After all it is an even year..

6. mercurymorris22

mercurymorris22 Banned

Oct 5, 2016
    Dam I like the way those Giants play ball. You have to admit, those misfits just never give up. Let's Go Giants Let's Go... Now if we can only see our Dolphins play with a little heart... Never Give Up, Always Have Faith...

7. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that you're probably right. The Giants will throw Cueto, Shark and Bum, while the Cubs counter with Lester, Hendricks, and Arrieta. Chicago won the season series, with a total score of just 23-17 in seven games. (3.3-2.4 per game). The Cubs rocked Jake Peavy in the first meeting of the year to score 8 runs, but then scored 3, 0, 5, 2, 2, & 3 in the rest. The Giants scored 3 or fewer in five out of seven, with a high score of 5.

8. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Personally rooting for Rangers vs Giants.. nice to see fielder back on the ballpark.

9. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Cole Hamels with a pathetically bad performance. Jesus..

10. janessa642

janessa642 New Member

Sep 25, 2016
    lols.. interesting discussion over all.. just watching all :)

11. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The mets game last night was amazing. The environment at Citifield was fun and crazy. I put a picture or two and a short video up on social media and you could see and hear....was fun. And then it went silent when Connor Gilisspie struck. I blame my friend who got my ticket and was saying how Gillispie was the last guy added to SFs postseason roster with Nunez being out and how he will be the one to beat us since the mets never get the scrubs out. Sure enough, he was right. Was not a fun ride home on the train.

12. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    One game playoffs must be a thrill to go to. Hope my Marlins get there someday, when we are in the wildcard you can just hand over the WS trophy to Miami, its guaranteed.

13. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Man, as a Tribe fan I don't get a lot of playoff games - do you normally feel like you're going to vomit on yourself the entire 3 hours?

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  14. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Yes. Its even worse when your team faces Mad Bum. BarstoolSports.com has a hilarious article about how Madison Bumgarner once dated a girl named....you guessed it....Madison Bumgarner. Contents were a little graphic to post but google it if you want. :)

PhiNomina likes this.
  15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yes its fun huh? Last night sucked for me, Cleveland just out played and out pitched the Sox. Hopefully Price can finally step it up in October and pitch a big game.

16. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Tito went all in for that win last night. Hard to imagine Tribe getting to Price much and Kluber coming off an injury is scary. I think Tito knew he had to get that one.

17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah I can't imagine Miller and Allen being able to go multiple innings again today so Tito saw the opening and went for the kill. Playoff Tito scares me.

18. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Yes, as a Cubs fan, I'm nervous as Hell now and the game doesn't even start until 9pm. After we laid an egg in 2007, 2008 and then in last year's NLCS, I'm not taking anything for granted, no matter how good this season has been so far.

PhiNomina likes this.
  19. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Postseason Price..

20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I really, really wanted Price instead of Lester for the Cubs a couple of years back. I guess I'm lucky I didn't get what I wanted.....pending how Lester pitches tonight :shifty:

21. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Honestly between Greinke or Price, neither team got their moneys worth this year. They were the top pitchers of free agency.. greinke was a gas can himself this season

22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'd made plans to travel and visit my parents with my wife and kids this weekend months ago. Now, I'm watching the Cubs/Giants game at their house, trying to be quiet as everyone else is in bed due to the frustrating 9:20pm start time, on a channel that I've never tuned into before (Fox Sports One), in blurry standard def on a 32" TV, instead of at home in HD on my 60". I feel like its the 90s. A very different viewing experience that what I'm used to.

23. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Wow. That game was a combination of frustration, even to the point of boredom, and then elation at the end. I've been a huge fan of Javy Baez for years, but he's been a lightening rod among the Cub fan community, with many wanting to give up on him and trade him away in favor of others. Its exciting, and vindicating, to have him join Lester as the big heroes for Game 1.

24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Right about now, looking at the Fins injury list and inactives for today, I am so grateful for baseball. :sigh:

25. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Well, ****. I stayed up until 1am, when I need to get up at 5, to watch Chapman blow the game. Deep breaths. Hopefully, we get em tomorrow. I'm gonna be exhausted.

26. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Congrats PhiNomina and to Cleveland, really a good and likable roster. Cleveland just flat out out played the Sox. I truly believe that to win it all in October not only takes talent but good luck too which the Sox just didn't have. I'm going to be rooting very hard for Cleveland going forward. It's a shame that Salazar and Carcasco went down with injuries because damn they would that much better. I also admit part of me was also happy to see Francona get to celebrate at Fenway Park last night after all the BS that happened on his way out. Love Tito.

Should be another interesting offseason for the Sox. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a new manager for the 2017 season, which would have nothing to do with how the playoffs ended but Farrell has regressed every single year since 2013 and I'm not sure he's the right guy for the job anymore. All Dombrowski has to do is sign Encarnacion and get a few RPers and the Sox will be in good shape moving forward.

Sad to see the Ortiz Era end in Boston but it was a hell of a ride and he really gave Sox fans a ton to be thankful for.

Unlucky 13 and PhiNomina like this.
  27. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Im guessing today is Cueto, and if theres a game 5 Bungarner will pitch on short rest.

28. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Miller,Shaw and Allen looked nervous and couldnt throw strikes.. Red Sox had chances.

Doesnt have to be said that an Indians, Cubs WS would be damn interesting!

Red Sox BP does need some tweaking ( most teams do on a yearly basis) but its the Starting pitching you have to worry about.

29. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks, man. Super classy post. Agree completely on October. It's frustrating to watch 162 games and then know the outcomes are mostly random. And with all the injuries the Tribe has suffered, I don't think there's any question the Red Sox have the better roster right now.

Tribe has a fun team - hope they are just getting hot at the right time. Boston was the scariest team in the AL - so it'll be frustrating if they can't beat Toronto, now.

Ray Finkle likes this.
  30. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Indians will actually be better next year. Returning everyone but Napoli and Davis i can see them both resigning. Crisp option wont be picked up but he isnt a big loss. Zimmer will be called up in June more then likely and maybe Bradley if Nap doesnt return...

Interesting team for sure.

31. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The Sox could have/should have won both Games 1 and 3. Game 2 they totally got out played and didn't have a shot. I hate to say it because it sounds like I'm not giving Cleveland credit but the Sox had no luck in the series, of course they did also play flat and had terrible at bats most of the time too. Heading into Game 3 the Sox were 2 for 19 when hitting the ball less than 94 MPH which is a .105 average, the average for the postseason was .194. Cleveland was 10 for 19, .529 hitting balls less than 94 mph. A lot of balls they hit found holes. In the 8th inning alone the Sox scored 1 run while hitting the ball 109, 113, 115 and 99 mph. Betts' 113 mph ball was the second hardest hit ball of his career and Ramirez made an unreal play. Bogaerts hit his ball right on the nose just right at Kipnis.

Again not taking anything away from Cleveland, they earned it. Sox were unlucky but also never played well enough to win.

I'd love a Cleveland/Cubs WS.

Regarding the Sox going forward, I think the rotation is fine. Price, Porcello, Rodriguez, Pomeranz, and Buchholz/Wright is a fine 5 man rotation. Price wasn't the normal "David Price" but he was still a top SPers, Porcello looks like he turned the corner and hopefully can build off this year, a full year of a healthy Rodriguez is an upgrade, and the 4th and 5th spots will be between Pomeranz, Buchholz and Wright. There's literally zero FA SPers out there so if the Sox are going to upgrade it will be via trades but I don't think that will happen. They absolutely have to do something about the pen, they can't count on Smith coming back from TJ surgery and I'm assuming they're going to let both Koji and Tazawa walk.

32. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yeah Toronto was honestly the only AL team that worried me headed into October just because they had a deep line up and solid rotation. I thought if they faced the Sox it would be a 10 to 8 slug fest each night.

The one big advantage Cleveland has is the pen although Francona needs to be careful when using Miller and Allen as much as he has, both seemed gassed. The SPers need to go a bit deeper.

If Cleveland had their team are full health I think they would easily have been the favorites in the AL in October.

33. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Koji can still pitch it would be a mistake to let him go.. I'd love for the Yankees to nab him.

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I love Koji but I'd let him walk unless he signs a super team friendly 1 year deal. He's going to be 42 in April and has trouble pitching back to back days or going multiple innings. Watching him pitch every day he wasn't the same guy he was in back in 2013, his splitter was pretty flat most of the year until he got hurt, although he was lights out when he came back. But you're probably only going to count on him for 40ish innings.

35. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Yep i meant on a one year deal.. 40 innings of Koji is well worth it. He is the perfect compliment to any BP nowadays as he is a trickster amongst those pitching 95+

36. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Depends on the contract and if you think he'll be able to even throw 40 innings and how effective he will be. Personally if he won't sign for less than I don't know 5 million (Fangraphs had his worth at $4.7 million) then I'm fine letting him walk. Remember if Koji doesn't have his splitter working he's basically a batting practice pitcher, there's big risk there. His line drive and fly ball rates have been going up with age and his ground ball rate has been dropping too.

37. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Who will DH for Boston next season? Lots are saying Hanley but I think you have to try to get your moneys worth in sandoval..

38. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Judging by the comments of Dombrowski, who usually tells it like it is, it sounds like it will be Hanley splitting time between 1st and DH with the other position depending on pitching match ups. Right now, I'd say, 3rd base is Sandoval's position to lose. Dombrowski also made it known that the Sox need to upgrade their pen and that's going to be the main focus in the offseason.

39. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I'm rooting for the Blue Jays and Cubs to be in the WS. I like Madden and would like to see him win, but I've been a Blue Jays fan since the early eighties and they will be broken up after this year so I want them to win too. Therer is no way they can keep all that fire power on one team and many of them are free agents after the WS.

40. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Relieved that the Giants will be starting Matt Moore tonight. Cueto is just so unhittable.