2021 Free Agency for Miami
8 replies
With the #3 pick and a lot of draft capital lots of focus is on the gamble that is the NFL draft. However, Miami still has a good cap situation and could fill some of their needs or find upgrades in free agency.
To that end, let's talk about what additions and upgrades we like or don't like in this year's free agency.
PFF have released their Top 50 Free Agents here.
I've added the players from their list in positions of most discussion for the Phins. The actual article has a lot more info than just the names.
2. WR CHRIS GODWIN
3. WR ALLEN ROBINSON II
4. WR KENNY GOLLADAY
5. T TRENT WILLIAMS
8. LB LAVONTE DAVID
9. WR WILL FULLER V
10. EDGE SHAQUIL BARRETT
11. G BRANDON SCHERFF
12. WR JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER
13. TE HUNTER HENRY
16. EDGE JADEVEON CLOWNEY
17. T TAYLOR MOTON
19. G JOE THUNEY
25. DI LEONARD WILLIAMS
26. C COREY LINSLEY
30. EDGE BUD DUPREE
32. TE JONNU SMITH
33. T RUSSELL OKUNG
34. T ALEJANDRO VILLANUEVA
36. EDGE MELVIN INGRAM III
39. WR COREY DAVIS
40. LB JAYON BROWN
41. LB MATT MILANO
42. RB AARON JONES
44. WR MARVIN JONES JR.
45. EDGE YANNICK NGAKOUE
46. TE GERALD EVERETT
48. EDGE MATTHEW JUDON
49. LB K.J. WRIGHT
50. DI DALVIN TOMLINSON
Spotrac have their tracker here (and you can filter by position and other fields).
So what do you think folks - where might known, but expensive, free agents be better pickups for Miami than an unproven draft pick?
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
With revenues down the cap may take a downturn for the 1st time in a long time. Some teams are going to have to make hard choices. With so many new coaches coming into programs, there may be some cuts that we can capitalize on. I'm not sure that they spend big time in free agency. It just seems it rarely works out for most teams. Pay the players n your team and pick up that bottom tier 1 guys or a couple of top tier 2 guys. If this season has shown something it's really depth that needs to be cultivated. If you have for instance, a 34th ranked guy and he goes down and you bring in a 46th ranked guy you're not sliding that far back on talent. If you lose a #10 guy and got to a #46 the talent level trade off is huge.
Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.
Players coming from systems similar to ours would be better than a draft pick. Thinking specifically defense as our offensive philosophy is still unknown. Bud Dupree > rookie. Even though I hate Steelers.
This is a WR free agent pool made in heaven for Miami. Target your guy and get him signed quickly.
Deshaun Watson loves Fuller so we may as well sign him if the price is right.
"Vertical Limit wrote:
Deshaun Watson loves Fuller so we may as well sign him if the price is right.
I'd have 0 interest with or without Watson. Injury prone PED abuser.
I've said it before, but I personally like the idea of signing Curtis Samuel and Marvin Jones. Between the two, you're looking at ~20m/yr--the same price that Godwin, Robinson, and Golladay will command individually. I don't think our receiving corps is just a guy away, but if we sign two solid options and draft a third, we'll be alright.
I'd also look for Flores to push for signing Deatrich Wise and Adam Butler. He loved those two in New England, and with them, our rotation along the d-line would be elite.
Other than those guys, I like Jarrad Davis on a 1-year 'prove-it' contract. 21st overall pick in 2017 who never lived up to expectations, but perhaps a change of scenery and a return to his home state would help him revitalize his career, à la Ereck Flowers.
"thetylernator wrote:
I've said it before, but I personally like the idea of signing Curtis Samuel and Marvin Jones. Between the two, you're looking at ~20m/yr--the same price that Godwin, Robinson, and Golladay will command individually. I don't think our receiving corps is just a guy away, but if we sign two solid options and draft a third, we'll be alright.
I'd also look for Flores to push for signing Deatrich Wise and Adam Butler. He loved those two in New England, and with them, our rotation along the d-line would be elite.
Other than those guys, I like Jarrad Davis on a 1-year 'prove-it' contract. 21st overall pick in 2017 who never lived up to expectations, but perhaps a change of scenery and a return to his home state would help him revitalize his career, à la Ereck Flowers.
I definitely dont want to Godwins stone hands on the Dolphins... reminds me of Chris Chambers...