1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3-0 and absolutely no respect

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MrPhinn, Sep 25, 2018.

1. MrPhinn

MrPhinn Active Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I've been watching all the networks and no one is going the phins any respect. 2 games up in the division but most of the talk is about the weak schedule we've had so far.

Bill Parcels: "You are what your record says you are."

If we beat the Pats next week, (who at 1-2 are ranked higher than the phins), I want the respect deserved and I'd better see us all over the headlines as a major contender.

eltos_lightfoot and resnor like this.
  2. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    I'd rather stay under the "radar" as long as possible.

rafael, Fin-O, MAFishFan and 5 others like this.
  3. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    We are all very happy with the 3-0 start, but we can't expect the national media to give the Dolphins respect immediately. This has been a mediocre franchise for quite some time, and you can't shake that label only 3 games into the season. Respect (from the national media at least) only comes when a team is winning and is successful over a long period of time.

mbsinmisc, KeyFin and MrPhinn like this.
  4. MrPhinn

MrPhinn Active Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Yes. That is a good point.

5. Berezo

Berezo Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    If we win on Sunday, we will get all the respect in the world. Think about our wins so far...we aren’t world beaters or anything. Win Sunday though 4-0, with a victory over NE, people will talk.

bigballa2102 likes this.
  6. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Ya know, last week it really pissed me off, this week I just dont care. They can keep doubting this team at their own peril. We have 3 tough games in a row starting with this week. If we get out of these 2-1 we will see how much their tunes change.

7. bigballa2102

bigballa2102 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL
    we beat 3 very bad teams!!!

8. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Titans are 2-0, Jets are 1-1 and Raiders are 0-2 if you exclude the Miami games. Right now that's "average" competition.

9. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Naw, it'll be the 1 and 3 NE Patriots. Respect is a few weeks off. Who cares though? Do you really need more time hearing talking heads who don't know about the Dolphins babble?

MAFishFan and Tin Indian like this.
  10. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    KeyFin likes this.
  11. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    I'm so glad I no longer care about that kind of stuff. I used to be really bad about it back in the day.

mbsinmisc and Surfs Up 99 like this.
  12. Phins_to_Win

Phins_to_Win Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    I think it was one of the shows on NFL network after week 1 we stayed at 23 on their board, but the Titans dropped 11 positions (to 24 I think). I was more then a little annoyed by that. You have to go out of your way to be that over the top bias. If you believed that the Titans were a 13 ranked team when we played them then NO WAY can you keep us at 23 when we beat them... but like everyone else says, there is something to be said about being under the radar. By the time they catch on that we are a legit team we will have been celebrating for WEEKS!!!

13. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    We're 3 and 0 because we have played and beaten equal competition. Tennessee was a playoff team just last winter, everyone was hyped over what New York did to the Lions, the Raiders have been competitive in every game they've played this year and they did beat us last year. Now does some of this kind of feel like "Fools Gold?" Absolutely....We've done this before, jumped out to a good record only to fall backwards. I don't expect us to win in New England this Sunday, but IF we somehow do....to me personally it's a big stepping stone towards becoming an actual relevant team this season.
    If we can't beat New England, we will at least have five consecutive winnable games after that to potentially make up for it. I think it's important to win the games against the teams that are either your equal or steps below you in terms of talent, etc. After Sunday we have Bears, Texans, Bengals, Lions, Jets.....I like our chances at being above .500 at the halfway point of the season if we stay healthy.
    Bottom line is you generally need 10 wins to get in. We have three right now and I don't care where the other seven come from, but we need them.

resnor, Tin Indian, KeyFin and 2 others like this.
  14. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    That's actually almost exactly right. Since 1978 when the NFL went to 16 games the average number of wins needed for a WC team is almost exactly 10 wins (excluding the strike shortened 1982 season). For all playoff teams it's almost exactly 11 wins.

It's interesting though that teams that start out 3-0 have a 75% chance of making the playoffs when they on average need to still win 7 out of 13 (or more than half). What that tells you is that teams that start out 3-0 are VERY likely to be above average teams and that the record is NOT just due to chance. So whatever happens up in NE, this season is shaping up to be good.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  15. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Remember when the Dolphins were 4-2 last year and all they had to do was beat the terrible Ravens and they would be sitting nice and pretty at 5-2? Well they got demolished 40-0 and pretty much ended the season.

I think alot of people see this coming on Sunday.

16. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Who really cares? All I care about is the numbers in the win, and loss columns. I couldn't care less what the media thinks about us and what respect, or lack thereof they give us. I'm not sure why fans care so much about that either. We're winning games. We're 3-0. That's what matters, not what the idiots on TV say about us.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  17. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    LOL, it was only a matter of time before someone mentioned the Ravens. At least we don't play them this year...

I think a lot of people give New England too much credit because they've always found ways to win ballgames. So far this year that hasn't happened and let's face it, they lost to a weak team this past week. So if we're going to say that our competition was only average, then we need to consider the same about the Pats as well....our strength of schedule has been tougher so far and we're 3-0 while they're 1-2.

I fear playing in Gillette as much as anybody, but this Pats team just isn't special right now. We're better in literally every facet of the game so far- passing, running, receiving, pass D, run D, punting, QB rating, turnover rating, points scored, points against, field goals, K/O returns....should I keep going? Because I can. There's not a single meaningful 2018 stat where you can say the Pats are truly better.

Call me stupid, but we're going to win this one convincingly. The Pats have nothing for us this year.

My only worry? Roughing the passer penalties. Brady is going to be down in the grass a lot and the refs are their best chance of beating us.

18. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    That may well be true but the difference between last years team and this years are so big that there is really no comparison. May as well have different logos.

19. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Well what pissed me off was the worst team in football crap. That was lazy and dishonest.

texanphinatic and mbsinmisc like this.
  20. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Here ya go...hopefully it fits on our helmets-

[​IMG]

Dol-Fan Dupree and Tin Indian like this.
  21. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    There's really only one "bad" team in the NFL and that's obviously the Browns.

Keep in mind, there's a reason the term "any given Sunday" exists, and it's because records really don't matter in the NFL. Anyone can beat anyone else. We see it every week. "Bad" teams beat "good" teams all the time.

bigballa2102 likes this.
  22. The Cowboys, steelers i'm sure have had major media coverage since the 70's no matter how bad they were anytime since then.
    We might stay undefeated after this sunday coming up and all the talk will be about N.E. and what they have to do to get out of the hole they are in.

Tin Indian and mbsinmisc like this.
  23. mooseguts

mooseguts Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2018
    [​IMG]

Tin Indian and KeyFin like this.
  24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The Browns won a game, tied a game, and barely lost a game. I do not think they are that bad.

Before last week I would have put the Bills, however, they crushed the Vikings. I guess the Cardinals are the worst team in the league now. Them or the Texans.

25. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    And if we lose at New England everyone will say same old phins. No thanks I want to fly under the radar. Less pressure on these guys

Also being 3-0 while good means zero right now. If we end up 7-9 does that 3-0 start matter???

Plus NFL has us ranked at #10 up from #17 in power rankings. Above Greenbay and more. That’s not some respect?

Tin Indian likes this.
  26. Phins_to_Win

Phins_to_Win Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Man I hope you're right, but I don't ever mark a division game as an easy win. The Jets can be 0 and 15 coming into the game against us and I would be sweating bullets.

Dorfdad and KeyFin like this.
  27. Tin Indian

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    After what I saw last week, with Baker Mayfield at QB that is a completely different team. Even the Defense played better after he came in.

28. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I agree that this why we get no respect but when you think about it, this type of reasoning is absurd. Every year should be viewed as unique with zero dependence on the past. You have a free agency period coupled with the draft that basically turns over a minimum 1/3 of every roster every year. The problem really is ignorance and laziness on the part of sports journalists. Its far easier looking at last year and pretending that week one follows the SuperBowl with no analysis of free agency or the draft and their impact on the rosters. That's why preseason power rankings are basically the playoff teams of the previous year with one or two exceptions all in the top 12.

Sports journalism has really changed since the 70s. In the 70s the people that wrote about sports actually understood and were fans of the sports they wrote about. Nowadays I think the people that write about sports are the people who were rejected by Vanity Fair and Salon.

resnor, mbsinmisc and djphinfan like this.
  29. Mafioso

Mafioso Air Force's #1 Phin Fan

Apr 7, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska
    I was listening to Golic and Wingo on ESPN this morning and I beloved that it was Mike Clay that had his own power rankings contradictory to the NFL rankings. He believes in the Parcels model of records first and had us as #3 behind only the Rams and Chiefs.

Now granted they kind of flew through the dolphins overview and didnt talk about any of our personnel or schemes they way they did the other teams but hey...were on the board. It was funny to almost here the non confidence in their ranking though...like hey..we dont really believe but based on record you know...ok now on to the 2-1 teams lol.

30. Galant

Apr 22, 2014

Mafioso likes this.
  31. bigballa2102

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL
    i dont care what the records say they are below avg teams when we played them

32. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Based on what though? Titans were a WC team last year, Mariota started the game and they were favored by Vegas to win. The Jets? Jets had just destroyed the Lions 48-17 with Darnold playing well and were getting all kinds of good press. They were also favored by Vegas to win. It's only the Raiders where you can say they were "below average" when we played them.

Maybe you can argue WE helped make these teams look below average lol. But if you go by how they were perceived at the time we played them I'd say it's about "average" competition.

33. bigballa2102

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL
    i am not going to start being negative towards a 3-0 team lol, but as my eyes perceived the teams were very below avg far from playoff teams.

34. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    I think some of you are forgetting it was also a 7 hour game, which played a huge factor in the result - especially in lieu of the Titan injuries.

KeyFin and bigballa2102 like this.
  35. bigballa2102

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL
    ya that played alot into it thats why i really dont even count that game for either team thats a hard one to judge

36. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Titans just beat the Jaguars that man handled New England. Not sure I would say the Titans are just a below average team. As pointed out earlier, they were a playoff team with 1 Playoff win last year.

KeyFin likes this.
  37. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Here ya go MrPhinn...