#3 pick...
327 replies
"Destroyer wrote:
Trade back and then go for Zach Wilson.
Wilson won't be there.The Redskins,panthers,falcons,lions all need Qbs
"Rick 1966 wrote:
I thought he showed a lot of promise his rookie season. It was last season, his second, that he sucked.
Mayfield threw for 3700 hundred yards and 27 tds rookie season!
"texanphinatic wrote:
San Diego also has weapons that far exceed ours, and despite having talented offense and defense he didn't lead them to wins. He also had some clunkers as well, though more good games certainly.
We are not talking about wins.
Tua did not look good. The teams with Herbert and Burrow are excited about those two moving forward, because they showed much more than Tua.
"resnor wrote:
We are not talking about wins.
Tua did not look good. The teams with Herbert and Burrow are excited about those two moving forward, because they showed much more than Tua.
To add to your point, we’re a playoff team with Herbert this year. Even with the lack of weapons. After this years draft, with upgrades at OL, RB, WR, we’re a super bowl contender with Herbert.
Our defense was able to mask how dysfunctional our offense was most of the season. You can’t rely on that in the playoffs.
"resnor wrote:
We are not talking about wins.
Tua did not look good. The teams with Herbert and Burrow are excited about those two moving forward, because they showed much more than Tua.
Exactly.The wins. were because of Great coaching
Tua on chargers or bengals he would not have won a game.
"mlb1399 wrote:
To add to your point, we’re a playoff team with Herbert this year. Even with the lack of weapons. After this years draft, with upgrades at OL, RB, WR, we’re a super bowl contender with Herbert.
Our defense was able to mask how dysfunctional our offense was most of the season. You can’t rely on that in the playoffs.
Yeah man. I went through this with Tannehill...I'm at the point that I just want the Dolphins to draft a QB that has physical abilities to deal with a bad oline, or whatever. Tua absolutely, to me, did not display anything to warrant being the 5th pick. Even if he ends up being a decent QB (I compared him to Ginn recently), you don't use a top 5 pick on an undersized, weak armed, timid game manager QB. I just don't see superstar when I watch him, ands I never saw it when I watched him at Alabama.
"resnor wrote:
Yeah man. I went through this with Tannehill...I'm at the point that I just want the Dolphins to draft a QB that has physical abilities to deal with a bad oline, or whatever. Tua absolutely, to me, did not display anything to warrant being the 5th pick. Even if he ends up being a decent QB (I compared him to Ginn recently), you don't use a top 5 pick on an undersized, weak armed, timid game manager QB. I just don't see superstar when I watch him, ands I never saw it when I watched him at Alabama.
Scary part why did our front office?
We wasted a 2nd rd pick on Rosen and now 5th overall on Tua.
Do we have a guy that can Identify QB talent?
"Destroyer wrote:
Van Ginkel has played very well but he's not a pro bowl player yet. One of the few bright spots from this season. Sanders is not a pro bowl player.
WHAT?????? You say Sanders is Pro Bowl caliber??? The man missed only 3 FG attempts all season long; 2 from 40-49 yards and 1 from 50+.
The man is virtually Mr Automatic!!

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"resnor wrote:
Yeah man. I went through this with Tannehill...I'm at the point that I just want the Dolphins to draft a QB that has physical abilities to deal with a bad oline, or whatever. Tua absolutely, to me, did not display anything to warrant being the 5th pick. Even if he ends up being a decent QB (I compared him to Ginn recently), you don't use a top 5 pick on an undersized, weak armed, timid game manager QB. I just don't see superstar when I watch him, ands I never saw it when I watched him at Alabama.
That’s exactly my sentiment. I felt like he was a 2nd round talent hyped up to #1 pick before his hip injury.
Raw as in inexperienced. Compared to those others mentioned in this thread, he is, just like the rest of the 2020 first round class, a project. That's the reality.
"pumpdogs wrote:
What do you mean raw?He was supposed to be the most polished Qb coming out of last years draft playing at the biggest school in colege football.
This guy is to small,average mobility,average arm,injury prone,panics in the pocket when his first read is covered,and can't read a defence.
and causes his own sacks because he can't see the field.I said it last year how can this guy be a top 5 pick espeically coming off that hip injury.The front office **** the bed with the most important pick in recent memory.
Brian flores is a great coach but without the Qb they will never win this division as long as allen is healthy.If they don't find one this will 2000-2003 all over again.
"resnor wrote:
Yeah man. I went through this with Tannehill...I'm at the point that I just want the Dolphins to draft a QB that has physical abilities to deal with a bad oline, or whatever. Tua absolutely, to me, did not display anything to warrant being the 5th pick. Even if he ends up being a decent QB (I compared him to Ginn recently), you don't use a top 5 pick on an undersized, weak armed, timid game manager QB. I just don't see superstar when I watch him, ands I never saw it when I watched him at Alabama.
The hope was that with his passing accuracy he could be Drew Brees-like, and I think there is still that possibility. You can make up for a lot of non-prototypical other attributes with passing accuracy, which Brees has done to the tune of a first-ballot HoF career.
That accuracy has to be all over the field, however. It can't be just in the short to intermediate area and to predominantly one side of the field, a la Tua's 2020. He has to improve in that way.
"The Guy wrote:
The hope was that with his passing accuracy he could be Drew Brees-like, and I think there is still that possibility. You can make up for a lot of non-prototypical other attributes with passing accuracy, which Brees has done to the tune of a first-ballot HoF career.
That accuracy has to be all over the field, however. It can't be just in the short to intermediate area and to predominantly one side of the field, a la Tua's 2020. He has to improve in that way.
Drew Brees is only example of small guy with limited mobility making it.
And Brees in his younger days had a stronger arm and went in 2nd rd.
This guy blows his hip out with limited physical abilities goes number 5.
Blows my mind how stupid a pick this was.
"pumpdogs wrote:
Scary part why did our front office?
We wasted a 2nd rd pick on Rosen and now 5th overall on Tua.
Do we have a guy that can Identify QB talent?
I think it was the owner. He wanted Tua to crank up fan excitement for the team. I am just guessing, because I have no connection to the team, no inside information, but Flores doesn't strike me as the type of coach to take a QB like Tua at fifth overall.
"pumpdogs wrote:
Drew Brees is only example of small guy with limited mobility making it.
And Brees in his younger days had a stronger arm and went in 2nd rd.
This guy blows his hip out with limited physical abilities goes number 5.
Blows my mind how stupid a pick this was.
No Brees is an example of a guy's becoming a first-ballot HoFer who has physical attributes and abilities almost identical to the ones exhibited by Tua in college. And Brees recovered from a throwing shoulder injury mid-career (which we all know all too well).
See here for more info about how Tua was regarded based on his college performance -- his accuracy was king, and against good competition:
"Rick 1966 wrote:
I think it was the owner. He wanted Tua to crank up fan excitement for the team. I am just guessing, because I have no connection to the team, no inside information, but Flores doesn't strike me as the type of coach to take a QB like Tua at fifth overall.
You think Flores being the Alpha male he is he would have said fuck off!
"pumpdogs wrote:
Drew Brees is only example of small guy with limited mobility making it.
And Brees in his younger days had a stronger arm and went in 2nd rd.
This guy blows his hip out with limited physical abilities goes number 5.
Blows my mind how stupid a pick this was.
This times 1000! You don’t take a project at #5. You take him in the 2nd round.
"The Guy wrote:
No Brees is an example of a guy's becoming a first-ballot HoFer who has physical attributes and abilities almost identical to the ones exhibited by Tua in college. And Brees recovered from a throwing shoulder injury mid-career (which we all know all too well).
See here for more info about how Tua was regarded based on his college performance -- his accuracy was king, and against good competition:
Like I said in numerous posts before.
Best line,best wrs ,best Rb.
I watched a shit load of film on tua.
Screen pass ,slants or over the top where guys were 5 to 10 yds open.
That mac jones has put up great numbers also.Elite talent to play with
"mlb1399 wrote:
This times 1000! You don’t take a project at #5. You take him in the 2nd round.
Not at QB. The position is so important in the league that anybody with a ceiling thought to be elevated at any point in their career goes very early. Look at where Tannehill was drafted, and he was most certainly a project.
"pumpdogs wrote:
Like I said in numerous posts before.
Best line,best wrs ,best Rb.
I watched a **** load of film on tua.
Screen pass ,slants or over the top where guys were 5 to 10 yds open.
That mac jones has put up great numbers also.Elite talent to play with
He had pinpoint precision all over the field amidst that talent, however. Not everybody can do that.
"mlb1399 wrote:
This times 1000! You don’t take a project at #5. You take him in the 2nd round.
Bingo!Of course I don't think was even worth a 2nd rounder
"Rick 1966 wrote:
I think it was the owner. He wanted Tua to crank up fan excitement for the team. I am just guessing, because I have no connection to the team, no inside information, but Flores doesn't strike me as the type of coach to take a QB like Tua at fifth overall.
Agreed. Seems more to me like Flores/Grier are the type who got Rosen. Not bc they were sure he was going to be amazing, but bc they want legit competition and to see who is actually going to win games, etc. Rosen couldn't, so they cut bait. Flores had no issue putting Fitz in....this is the only thing that gives me hope. These guys care about winning more than the nonsense QB allegiance. I think Ross was the problem ... And whether it's Ross or them too, who picked Tua, I gotta think Flores will be the type to ask that we bring another good young QB in here to compete, rather than just blindly staying w Tua.
This does have Ross written all over it though. Ross is a trend type guy. He went after Harbaugh bc he was a hot commodity, he went after Phailbin and Gase bc they were commodities with supposedly an "offensive mind", he also build Hudson yards in NYC, which was over hyped and also pretty much a Bust as of now..... Now Tua was this hyped up possession that he just had to have. I wonder if Flo/Grier would have taken a diff QB, or waited a draft. We may never know, but I hope Ross gets out of his own way one damn day, and I hope Flo and Grier do what they feel is best.
"Jersey Dolfan wrote:
Agreed. Seems more to me like Flores/Grier are the type who got Rosen. Not bc they were sure he was going to be amazing, but bc they want legit competition and to see who is actually going to win games, etc. Rosen couldn't, so they cut bait. Flores had no issue putting Fitz in....this is the only thing that gives me hope. These guys care about winning more than the nonsense QB allegiance. I think Ross was the problem ... And whether it's Ross or them too, who picked Tua, I gotta think Flores will be the type to ask that we bring another good young QB in here to compete, rather than just blindly staying w Tua.
This does have Ross written all over it though. Ross is a trend type guy. He went after Harbaugh bc he was a hot commodity, he went after Phailbin and Gase bc they were commodities with supposedly an "offensive mind", he also build Hudson yards in NYC, which was over hyped and also pretty much a Bust as of now..... Now Tua was this hyped up possession that he just had to have. I wonder if Flo/Grier would have taken a diff QB, or waited a draft. We may never know, but I hope Ross gets out of his own way one damn day, and I hope Flo and Grier do what they feel is best.
"mlb1399 wrote:
That’s exactly my sentiment. I felt like he was a 2nd round talent hyped up to #1 pick before his hip injury.
100%.
Second round might even have been one round too soon.
"Rick 1966 wrote:
That's one of the things that worries me about taking QBs from big-time, perennial-contender schools. They're used to having the best talent in the country around them and it can make them look a lot better than they are. Look at the best QBs in the league right now. Did ANY of them come from a team that was contending for the National Championship? Aaron Rogers was Cal, IIRC. Drew Brees was Purdue. Russel Wilson was Wisconsin. Mahomes was Texas Tech, Josh Allen was Wyoming. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head that were a National Champion contender are Burrow, who is a rookie, and Mayfield, who has had his ups and downs but looks very good this year.
Watson
"The Guy wrote:
He had pinpoint precision all over the field amidst that talent, however. Not everybody can do that.
Mac jones is doing it now so what are u talking about?