1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 point stance to be banned?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by adamprez2003, Feb 7, 2010.

1. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    They apparently are considering banning the three point stance. They are just going to keep changing the game until you cant recognize it anymore I guess. Obviously the integrity of the game isnt important anymore. How is this going to effectthe run game if it happens? Is football just going to turn into flag football?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...F?slug=ap-superbowl-goodell&prov=ap&type=lgns

Concerned about concussions, Goodell said the league will keep looking for ways to make the game safer. Speaking on CBS’s “Face the Nation” hours before the Super Bowl, he didn’t rule out the idea of banning the three-point stance for linemen to reduce the ferocity of collisions at the line of scrimmage.

“As you’ll see tonight, you’ll see a lot of players that never get down in a three-point stance,” Goodell said Sunday. “So it’s possible that would happen.”

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I wish people wouldn't be concerned about these ideas until they actually happen. People are already *****ing about Goodell changing this and it hasn't even happened yet. When people make safety guidelines at work you have to think out every scenario, doesn't mean you have to use them.

texanphinatic and krypto like this.
  3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think fans should ***** now and let the NFL know they are going to far, hell they've gone too far already IMO, in changing this game.

Boik14, gafinfan, Muck and 4 others like this.
  4. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    The league is becoming a joke.:sad:

Topdawg13 likes this.
  5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    i checked my calendar to make sure it wasnt april 1st after i read this
    thought it was some form of a ridiculous prank
    banning the three point stance
    wtfuggin fugg
    that is about the most asinine ludicrous thing i have ever heard
    what a mockery of a sham of a travesty
    wont be long the nfl will be the nffl
    national flag football league

Topdawg13 likes this.
  6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I read the story. They don't really go into much about how the 3-point stance has anything to do with player safety or anything (I refer to the "effects" when compared to any other approach to the line of scrimmage). Crappy story IMO. That's just silly.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    While I don't see this change being implemented anytime soon, it's obvious that this game will continue to be more and more of a passing league. Actually it already is primarily a passing league. That's why the teams that win have an abundance of large and fast receiving targets. If your team doesn't have those then you have almost no chance of winning now and going forward.

gunn34 and dolphan117 like this.
  8. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I dont really care about this, or about the whiners who complain about the changing of the game.

Stuff evolves, deal with it!

For god sake, weve had some of the best playoff and SB games in years lately, and you all want to go back to 3 yards and cloud of dust? Puhleeze.

Some people just like to complain imo.

Tone_E and Stitches like this.
  9. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007

Some people also like to voice their opinion without being chastised for it.

Color me against eliminating the 3 point stance. Heck, lets just put flags on the QBs so we completely eliminate concussions. They are the players that get paid the most and are even protected the most. Nobody cares that when RBs turn 40-50 years old the majority of them can barely walk. You going to prevent that from happening too?

MikeHoncho likes this.
  10. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Don't know what's with you and stiches on this.

This is a move that would drastically change the game.
    It's a silly one too.

If your going to outlaw the 3 point stance then you better outlaw blocking FB's, blitzing backers and Running backs pounding up the middle because the collisions from these positions are much more fierce than lineman firing off at each other from a foot away.

THe changes to the game are getting to the point where they completely affect the action in games and the outcomes. It will change the entertainment value to fans and the ability to actually play the game.

Hell you have players complaining about how ridiculous some of the rules have become and how it is negatively affecting games. Are you going to pop off and call them whiny complainers as well? LOL.

It's a legitimate gripe and one worth discussing whether you two believe it or not.

If you want the NFL to turn into the Arena League so be it.
    Some of us long time NFL fans love the game as is.

11. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Im neither for nor against this change. But people moaned about forward passing too - both players and fans.

I just find it amusing. The game evolves and moves on. And despite many protestations to the contrary, IMO its a better product now than it ever has been, and I dont think banning a 3 point stance will change that.

12. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    But this isn't evolution. This is yet another move for offense.

Did you see the comments from Mike Pereira last weekend about how he didn't like the competition committee messing with the illegal contact rules? That's the HEAD OF OFFICIALS talking about a rule being bad. Just because they make a change doesn't mean it's a good change.
    And thanks to the contact rule, it's now a penalty and a first down to TOUCH a receiver six yards downfield, regardless of whether or not it has ANY effect on the receiver whatsoever. That's not evolution. And I think you'd be hard pressed to find any fan who likes it.

So no, we have a right to air preemptive complaints and we should. I don't begrudge Goodell from considering anything that has players' long-term health in mind. Concussions are no joke. But this is a violent game. And you can't legislate the violence out of it.

gunn34, Boik14 and Frumundah Finnatic like this.
  13. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    how much of this is the NFL trying to limit their liability to it's retired players? Lets just ban football altogether.

Boik14 likes this.
  14. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Can someone please explain to me how the banning of the 3 Point Stance would help player safety?

15. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    simple. by turning the game into a female sport, it will reduce the number of players who want to play it, thus saving them from being injured.

Boik14, MikeHoncho and Silverphin like this.
  16. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Sadly, that's the best explanation there is at the moment.

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

Boik14 and Silverphin like this.
  18. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Seriously, soon Ginn is going to ask to borrow your ballerina outfit :pity:

19. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    If they get rid of the 3-point stance they might as well get rid of football all together the NFL is becoming a joke

20. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    I'd quit watching if this were to happen. Seriously. I wouldn't even consider it football and would put my time towards more worthwhile pursuits.