1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by Da 'Fins, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    If you are a sports fan - a must see.

If you are a movie fan - a very worthwhile evening.

It's a bit light on some drama relative to our modern day over-the-top entertainment world, but I think part of the motive here was to appeal to a wide variety of older movie goers who remember this era to some degree. That said, it is a great film in large part because the Jackie Robinson story is the greatest story in American Sports history. One of the great stories in American history.

You can't walk out of this film without a tear in your eye and a deep, deep respect for the great Jackie Robinson. A story that really needs to continually be honored and re-told - so that all athletes and all people in our culture see this man of courage and grace. An incredible human being.

The film also introduces two young actors who've had some decent roles but this will really bring them into the mainstream:

Chadwick Boseman - who played Jackie. Great role - really seemed to capture the class of Robinson, I believe.

Nicole Beharie - did a fine job. And, she is incredibly beautiful. I mean a knockout! A 10 in the face and not far behind everywhere else. She will be a much more well known name from here on out.

Here is a great still of both http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4127629312/nm2718512

I thought this may have been one of Harrison Ford's best acting roles ever because you really didn't think, "Hey, that's Harrison Ford doing his thing" as he has so often in the Indiana Jones' series and other films (not a bad thing, mind you, he does well at it), but - instead, you thought, "that's Branch Rickey." The actor was lost inside the character.

I would not be surprised and would really love to see Ford get a best supporting Actor nod for this.

But, this is a really worthwhile film. If you have kids (not younger ones, but those old enough to understand racism - depending on maturity level, maybe 12-13 and up) they should see it.