1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 Guys That Have the Most to Gain/Lose in TC

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by vinivedivichi, Jul 21, 2008.

1. vinivedivichi

vinivedivichi New Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Tampa
    Though we start the year with low expectations, this season has the makings of an exciting one for true fans of the franchise. Why? For the first time since the Shula days we seem to have stability and organization within the front office and coaching staff. If we assume that our brass will provide our franchise with much needed stability, then we can, for the first time since the Shula days, watch our team grow with the notion that the guys that perform well will be around for a while.

In other words, we shouldn't have to worry about the guy we thought had so much potential last year not fitting the system that this year's coach utilizes. We shouldn't have to worry about whether a player's great year this year will be properly appreciated by the coach next year.

Everyone essentially gets a blank slate. Although there are a handful of guys that know their roles and essentially are assured their spots on the roster, this team is filled with guys that have an awful lot to lose/gain based on training camp and preseason performances. In the interest of time, however, I have picked 5 guys that have the most riding on the upcoming training camp:

1. John Beck - This one is a no-brainer. If Beck wins the quarterback competion this year, he is a young quarterback, handed the starting reigns, with the potential to grow into capable starter in the league. If McCown wins then Beck gets sandwiched between a guy that is essentially a stop-gap and a guy that will be hailed as the future. There's no logical advancement in that scenario, and odds are that if Beck finds himself in that situation he would have a hard time getting another legitimate shot to lead this team or any other.

2. Derek Hagan - This guy would not make my list but for the praise he has received this offseason. I was ready to write him off after last year, but an apparent change in work-ethic has me taking another look at his long term potential. In theory he is a well rounded receiver that could develop into a legitimate #2 receiver. I think we get a good idea this offseason whether Hagan is the guy we have seen over the last two years or the guy we've heard about this offseason. If he's the former, I suspect his future as a Dolphin won't last far beyond the end of this year. If it's the latter, I wouldn't totally discount the possibility of him being a starting wide receiver for this team. Big offseason for Hagan, IMO.

3. Channing Crowder - It's never a good thing when the career trajectory for a 4th year player is pointing downward, but that's the case with Crowder. After a promising rookie season, he has simply been serviceable the last couple of years. A backup linebacker on a Parcell's team can be serviceable, but Parcell's expects more from his starters. Crowder's also in a contract year, so he must prove a lot to show he's worthy of the money he expects. Similar to Hagan, I think Crowder either convinces BP and Co. that he's part of the future of this team or that he's part of the past.

4. Matt Roth - Sensing a pattern? The holdovers from the previous regime(s) won't be handled with kid gloves any longer. I don't think it's necessarily a "his guys" vs. "my guys" thing as much as it is looking for guys that show their worth on the field. We've clung to some guys that haven't lived up to the hype. Whether it's because previous regimes didn't ask enough, or whether they didn't push them hard enough, now it's time to get the job done. Roth has a lot of competition for his job this training camp. If he fends off the competition he could be a starter in this league. If not, he's simply a situational player.

5. Jason Allen - See directly above. Allen has a ton of potential, but I just don't think that's going to be enough to assure him a spot on the roster year after year. No doubt, up to this point Jason Allen has been a disappointment. If he doesn't start at safety this year, he's a bust, and we likely cut our losses either this year or next.

Thoughts? Feel free to post your list as well...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. Whitedolphin54

Whitedolphin54 From the land of legends Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    Pretty good analogy IMO. All could become good players for us, but at the mo they are living on the edge.

If Henne starts, how many see Beck being here for too long?
    Good reports on Roth and he has beefed up a little, but he has to play the run well if he wants to survive.
    Hagan will have to prove he can do it with only a few balls thrown his way, which means he can afford no drops.
    Crowder needs to really come up big, so he can sign a new contract. I only hope the 3-4 will help him.
    Jason is a first round pick and needs to prove that this season. He got better toward the end of last season, and can improve again.

All these guys could start or be out of a job by seasons end. It is basically up to them. They have a chance to make the difference, so let them bring it on.

3. Straz

Straz Me and my girl :)

Mar 23, 2008
    I really think Jason Allen is a legit Saftey in this league.

I would also add Yerimiah Bell to this list. The guy has gotten hurt a lot over the past couple of years, and if he doesn't play 16 games this year, I think we won't re-sign him.