1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 plays that changed the game for the worse...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CANEPHINS, Sep 27, 2010.

1. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I can't get these 5 plays out of my head. These plays took back every single good thing we did and on the next play resulted in a positive for the Jets.

1. The "head to head" which wasn't. Amazing how you can let up, have a guy jump into you, your head hits his shoulder pad, and you are the one that gets called for head to head contact and the penalty.
    [​IMG]

2. The blocked punt. Sure the D held them to a FG. But again, that FG was huge and changes the course of play in the game.
    [​IMG]

3. The dropped INT. We get the ball back at midfield..at worst... down 1 with over 2 min in the game and all out TO's. Instead, the ball hits the turf and Jason Allen blows the coverage on 3rd down to give the Jets a big 1st down.
    [​IMG]

4. Don't have a pick of this...but the KO out of bounds. Once again, get MO and give it right back with great field position. Special Teams have killed us the past few years on return yards and this game was no different. The Jets didn't need us giving them free yards, but we did anyway.

5. Not running it inside the 5 yard line at all in the game. This play was a great defensive play by Marshall, but the Jets were able to keep us to a FG on this possession instead of a TD. The difference? It was 21-20 Jets instead of 24-21 Miami. Sparano says we a running team..."it is who we are and we aren't going to change who we are". Guess what...we changed. All we had to do was pound it in. No wildcat...just let Lou pound it in and we are up 3 instead of down 1 and it is a very different game with just a few min left. Everything the Jets do from that point changes if they are down vs if they are still winning.
    [​IMG]

2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The 3rd down PI by JA in endzone impacted it as well....but whether the TD making it 8pts...or whether held to another FG making it 4pts would have required us to score a TD, which we failed with 4 tries inside the 10 following the long Marshall catch and run with huge blowup block by Fasano. So ultimately the 4th down desperation pick in the endzone had us failing whether down 8pts or 4pts..but PI in the endzone on equally desperate 3rd down fade was huge.

P.S I still think thats not PI, I think JA got his head around and it should have been a no call.

resnor likes this.
  3. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Great post. Love the pics!

4. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Exactly why I didn't include it. The dropped INT was bigger based on what happened on the next play and what the end result was, which was the 1st down and the clock and chains still moving. Whether the Jets got the 3 or the 7 didn't matter. Either way we would have had to score a TD and we didn't do it. However, that INT or JA not letting Edwards in front of him on 3rd down would have given us the ball back only down 1.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    The BS fake injury and red flag for 12 men that allowed the Jets D time to catch their breath and prevent us from scoring.

6. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Yeah...but the Jets didn't break any rules there. I told my wife that the Jets were going to fake an injury to get some extra time to catch their breath. She said, "no way". I said, "watch". 10 seconds later...Fake injury. She couldn't believe it. A lot of teams do it and it is within the rules, except for the end of a game.

7. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    How about the non "helmet-to-helmet" call against the Jets on that screen play?

8. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I didn't read any of the thread,just the title.

I would say Jason Allen was in on three of them.

he gave up that 3rd and long that would have given us the ball back with 6 minutes left in the game.(he was out of position)

turn around when you should know it's a corner fade in the endzone.(1st down at the one) My opinion is they would have kicked the FG and rely on their D to stop us.

we take the lead for the first time and he lets Edwards take that ball to the house.(he had him 1on 1) never let that happen,period!
    no excuse about him slipping either.

can't say much about that int. that was overturned he tried hard to get it.:up:

On a side note: if we found the ball on one of those int's.that we DIDN'T get, the outcome wouldhave-couldhave-shouldhave been different.

My feelings are still bruised but i liked what i saw from henne. i just knew they were going to open it up for him this week.:up:

9. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Payback for the "completed pass" when the Miami receiver was clearly out of bounds. ;)

10. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Sure, there were more than enough bad/questionable calls to go around....that said, I just dont think the textbook tackle on Ronnie was one of them.

Yes, the horrible PF call on Clemons on the NON-HELMET TO HELMET was in error....that said, I dont want to start seeing clean textbook tackles like what caught Ronnie in the flats as FLAGABLE (???) either. Clemons was Shoulderpads....and Ronnies was Facemask to Facemask solid tackle - no spearing at all.

I am tired of the justification by those in Charge and Officials on the field of play to try to change FOOTBALL from being FOOTBALL...its so watered down already.

11. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Kinda sums it up in a nutshell.Turn those around and it's a different game.

12. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Langford is getting way too much crap for that dropped interception. He was rushing the QB and put his arms up to defend when Sanchez cocked his arm to throw, Sanchez panicked and lobbed it at his arms. He was 2 freaking yards away, not a lot of time to react. That is a really difficult play for a defensive lineman to make when the last thing he expects is the QB to toss him the ball.

frozenfin, mullingan and BicketyBam like this.
  13. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    They should go back to leather helmets and no face masks! :up:

I hear you. The PF on Clemons was crap. This isn't flag football or two hand touch.

14. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I sure hope no one is giving him CRAP...exactly for what you state...quick twitch reflexes.

The point solely should be it COULDHAVE been a huge play...a game changer cause it was so close to being pulled off. Same with JA's near INT.

Just like in 2008 and Favre INT in similar type of screen INT that changed that game....nearly identical....those quick twitch plays do get pulled off.

Shouldnt bash; simply view it as a huge missed opportunity.

15. tx-fin

tx-fin Keeping the faith

Sep 11, 2010
    See name
    Agreed with everything you said, except the interception you showed. That one was close, but the ball was thrown right into his face from three yards away, and he still made a great attempt but just couldn't get a handle on it. The ones I were more upset about were the two non-interceptions by Jason Allen. Not a bash, 'cause we all know what he did last week, but these two were very makeable. The first one went right through his hands, and the second one he caught, but bobbled and it hit the ground. Either one would have been huge game changers. All your other points are right on though for sure.

16. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    There were definitely people who made it seem like it was a flat out drop and put the blame on him as it were a routine play.

I agree with what you said, he could have made that play for sure. It would have been huge and we probably would have won but that is a really tough play to make.

frozenfin and BigDogsHunt like this.
  17. tx-fin

tx-fin Keeping the faith

Sep 11, 2010
    See name
    How do you get these pics? Very nice! As for the "head to head" which wasn't, you are so right. But look later, when Brown gets a direct top of the helmet to the face and nothing was called!! He was facing Henne for a short, latteral dump, and the Jet's defender read it. As soon as Brown caught the ball and began to turn, the guy was on him at full run, and absolutely lead with his helmet into Ronnies face. I jumped up when I saw it, and could not believe it was not called.