1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 Position Battles To Watch

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/20...o-watch?_ga=1.154756984.1145683902.1432172465

1. Offensive Guard
    With Mike Pouncey, Branden Albert (when fully healthy), and Ja’Wuan James, the Dolphins have an impressive group manning the middle and outer portions of the offensive line. The question marks reside between Pouncey and the tackles at the guard position. This is the most wide open battle in all of training camp. Billy Turner, Dallas Thomas, Jamil Douglas, and Jeff Linkenbach are the primary contenders for the two jobs, but J.D. Walton, Jacques McClendon, and Dionte Savage will all have their opportunities to impress the coaching staff.
    “I completely expect to be very solid at the guard position,” offensive line coach John Benton told me recently. “Who those two players will be, or maybe even a third, I don’t know. That’s something where we need the pads on and we need a couple of preseason games to determine.”
    This is also the most important position battle as the Dolphins desperately need to reduce the number of sacks sustained by Ryan Tannehill. Over the past two seasons, Miami has allowed 104 sacks. If the Dolphins’ plan to compete for the postseason, that number has to go down and the guards will play a vital role in helping do so.
    2. Backup Running Back
    Coming off his first 1,000 yard season, Lamar Miller is an ascending talent in the league and enters 2015 as Miami’s unquestioned starter. However, the depth chart behind Miller is teeming with talented, multi-dimensional players. Damien Williams turned heads last season by impressing as an undrafted rookie. Jay Ajayi was surprisingly available in the fifth round of this year’s draft after an extremely productive career at Boise State. LaMichael James has big play potential and could help reduce Jarvis Landry’s workload as a returner. And Mike Gillislee is back to full strength after missing all of the 2014 season.
    All of these players have the potential to positively impact the team as runners and receivers out of the backfield. However, this position battle may be determined by their ability to contribute on special teams.

Please click on link for the rest of the article.

Fin4Ever, 77FinFan and PhinFan1968 like this.
  2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I particularly like the last line of the article:

Sums it up nicely IMO.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Is that list in order of importance? Because I don't think the backup RB position battle ranks ahead of the DB or LB or linebacker battles. We don't have a solidified starter opposite of Grimes and perhaps nickle CB is up in the air. Chris McCain hasn't locked up a starting spot, and whomever the backup MLB is will likely be a starter at some point this season when Misi goes down with injuries, as he's prone to do.

Fin4Ever and padre31 like this.
  4. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I think Brice is a lock for that spot.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  5. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Look at the defense. On one side there is Brent Grimes, Reshad Jones, Cameron Wake and Jelani Jenkins--4 players we're all very confident about. On the other side there is Olivier Vernon, a newbie at OLB, a youngster at CB and maybe if we're lucky a healthy Louis Delmas for most of the year.

It's not about CB or FS or OLB....it's about that entire side of the defense not being entirely overwhelmed. We know one side is super-strong and so teams will probably attack towards the weaker side with all the youth and inexperience. How will those guys handle it? We won't know until the season gets underway.

All I'll say about RB and Guard is that we were doing decently well last year and all the same pieces are here with a few improvements. At the very least we've added depth at RB and Guard. At the very worst we'll have about what we had last year. That doesn't worry me.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I would think so too. But what if Jamar Taylor struggles at RCB? Brice might be forced to the outside, even if his best position is nickle. Then we're looking at Taylor/Bobby McCain/Will Davis as starting nickle DB's. The lack of a bonafide stater at RCB has implications for the Nickle too.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Dallas Thomas vs. Turnstyle

Fin4Ever and Clark Kent like this.
  8. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Yeah, and that worries me. Brice is really suited, I think physically and mentally to be the "slot" guy. Man it would be really, really nice for Taylor to step up.

9. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Can I think about it for a bit?

CashInFist, Fin4Ever, cbrad and 2 others like this.
  10. Are they moving Vernon to LB?

11. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

That wasn't what was meant...he meant 1) Vernon, 2) Newbie at OLB, 3) youngster CB....etc...referring to the right side of the defense (left, if you're looking at it from the Offense).

jedburg likes this.
  12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, does the Turnstyle take Canadian quarters only?

MikeHoncho and Fin4Ever like this.
  13. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I agree, but we also need to find a way to get Bobby Mac and Jeff Luc in the game as often as possible...Players like him and Luc are especially good at creating turnovers, which is a huge benefit to have come game day. Quite possible that one of them makes a game saving tackle, or better yet, creates a game saving turnover.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Now we're thinking.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  15. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    This will not be tolerated.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  16. OK. Gotcha. Thanks.