1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 Steps to a Successful Offseason

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Brasfin, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Alright guys, here's my "5 steps to a successful offseason"...the five remaining moves that if we make, I'd consider the offseason a huge success, with the rest just being gravy.

1) Bring in a veteran guard who is better than Dallas Thomas.

Billy Turner looks to be penciled in at one of the guard spots by the staff, but as of now, Dallas Thomas is the other starting guard, which means it is an area of concern. Evan Mathis is on the trade block and is someone we might look into. Stefen Wisniewski is a FA and has had experience playing the guard position, could also be an option. Point is, we must go into the draft with both guard positions settled, and Dallas Thomas out of the starting spot... this shouldn't be too hard.

2) Sign a veteran WR.

Right now we have a very young WR corps, so it may be wise to bring in a seasoned veteran to ease in the youngsters, while also giving us some flexibility in the draft. It's been reported that we may be looking at signing Jennings or Crabtree, either one I think would be a good choice for us.

3) Address LB depth.

With the Ndamukong Suh signing, I think we have an adequate enough LB corps to get the job done this season, especially if Chris McCain or Dion Jordan can seize the SLB position. What we do need, though, is a backup MLB behind Misi, now that we let go of Jason Trusnick and still haven't signed anyone there. If we manage to get someone like Brandon Spikes or Mason Foster there, I'd be pretty happy, though they might actually be good enough to replace Misi at the mike. Hey, if we get someone who can actually challenge Misi for a starting spot, I'd be all for it, if our cap situation permits. Anyone know of other cheap FA MLBs who can be adequate backups?

4) Draft Todd Gurley in the first round.

I posted some of my explanation for this in another thread, so I'm going to try and sum it all up here:

We had a good running game last year overall, but in times where we needed to fight for the tough yards, we couldn't do it, ie. short yardage situations and in the red zone. We all saw in the playoffs what a physical running game can do, both NE and Seattle had physical backs who fight for the tough yards and make the whole offense better. We all saw what Moreno did to our offense in that one Patriots game. I'd compare the effect of a physical, bruising RB on offense to that of someone like Suh on the defensive side of the ball, in the sense that they both make the players around them better.

A physical running game can wear down a defense over the course of a game, both mentally and physically... the other players on offense tend to feed off this physicality and play with a more aggresive nature, receivers fight for extra yards and the OL gives an extra effort to block.

The whole offense feeds off a running game like that, it charges everyone up, and is something that just can't be measured statistically.

Todd Gurley is the best, most complete RB in this draft and I think, when paired with Miller, we will have the best young RB duo in the league. Obviously there are injury concerns with him, so I'd listen very carefully to doctors' opinions on his recovery, but seems like word around the league is that it isn't much of a concern.

5) Draft a CB in the second round.

I'd love to go after a receiver here in the second round, because there will be plenty of good ones, but with the depth we will have there, I don't think it would be a wise choice. What we do need is depth at the cornerback position, the only proven starter we have right now is Grimes and he isn't getting any younger. Taylor I think can be the other starter, but we still need to bring in someone to compete with him and push him, while adding some needed depth.

There you have it.. thoughts, opinons, and criticism are always welcome... you can go ahead and post your own "5 steps to a successful offseason", if you want. :wink2:

Galant and Fin4Ever like this.
  2. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    All of those moves could help this team no doubt.

The first thing I'll say is that I'm sure I don't want to go into the draft thinking something as specific as "CB in round 2." For one, a 2nd or 3rd round CB is often a developmental player rather than a starter (i.e. Sean Smith, Will Davis and Jamar Taylor). So let's not get ahead of ourselves. The 2nd round is a great place to pick up WRs and TEs who have fallen along with the occasional big body for the trenches. I could see any number of things happening for the Dolphins in the 2nd round but if I had to guess, I think that's where they want to make a move at bolstering this WR-corp quite honestly.

I would've liked to have seen this team sign both a veteran CB and a veteran Guard because I think those moves would've freed up our draft even more but at this point I guess all that is either not going to happen or the Dolphins feel like those players who are still on the market will be their after the draft as well.

Gurley I'm open to. It could really help this team actually.

The LBs on the other hand I don't know. We currently have (1) Jenkins, (2) Misi, (3) Tripp, (4) McCain, (5) Jordan, and (6) Sheppard so I don't think depth is really the team's problem. They just don't have outstanding talent. Jenkins and Misi are the only proven players and most folks here are even down on Misi. Adding another mid-rounder (a la Jordan Tripp) isn't going to change our situation. We just need guys like Tripp, McCain and Jordan to step up their game!

3. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    I like it. I'd just say two things:

1 - I'd like to see Gurley on the Phins, and you mentioned medical clearance, but if he were to be skipped over I would understand. We've loaded up on a lot of 'injury-risk' players and avoiding one more is fine by me. If we skip him I'd like to see the Phins try drafting the BPA or else Safety/LB/CB or even OL.

2 - I think there's a bit of flexibility in option 5. Again, LB would be nice.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    1. I agree with the notion that we need a veteran guard. I don't want Mathis because of his cost relative to his age. Wisniewski is how I'd go.

2. I don't think that's necessary. I think Landry provides all the leadership that unit needs.

3. Depth is needed across the board, but I actually think the LB unit has the best depth on the team. If we're looking for depth I'd rather focus on the oline, TEs, WRs, RBs, Safeties, etc.

4. I'd rather draft a safety to groom under Delmas. In our defense, our safeties are 10 times more important the CB.

5. I'd rather draft Agholor in the 2nd rd and complete our WRs.

5. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    Leadership is a word that gets tossed around in sports maybe more than anywhere else as though it's a solution to some general problem that exists everywhere.

Yes, I want leadership, but I want young, fast, agile, quick-thinking WRs with great hands even more. ;)

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree with adding a veteran G.

I don't see a vet WR as all that important given what's available out there.

I don't see adding a vet LB as a need. I'd categorize it as a want and would be fine with a mid to late round LB in the draft or a later vet pick-up.

I think Gordon is the best back in this draft and see him as the guy with the best chance to be truly special at the next level.

I want to add another secondary player, but I don't care whether it's a CB or S and I don't think it has to be in the 2nd. In fact, I see S as more of a need given Delmas' injury history and how much or D tanked after he went down last year.

7. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I would explode with rage if we drafted Todd Gurley in the first round at 14. I like him as a player, but not that early. I would take Melvin Gordon way before i'd take Gurley.
    Speaking for the draft, we need to take the best offensive lineman available yet again.

8. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    What are your thoughts on Melvin Gordon? Why do you put him above Gurley? I didn't watch much of Melvin Gordon this season, only highlights. It looked like his O-line looked was pretty dominant although I was amazed at his break-away speed. I wouldn't mind if that kind of player was a Dolphin! My first impression of Gordon though was that he might be more speed than power, almost a Jamaal Charles type of guy--as if somehow that's not awesome. ;)

I feel like if you take Melvin Gordon you're doing it for the homerun threat...his acceleration is off the charts. If he makes a cut or gets through a hole, he's 10-yards down-field in a flash.

9. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    The title is probably misleading, but this wasn't supposed to be a plan, per se, but merely the 5 moves that if they make, I would be happy with the offseason overall, regardless of anything else. Obviously, these moves aren't the only ones that would make me happy...

I'd be open to getting another veteran CB as well, but I just don't think they might be looking at signing another one... at least I haven't heard anything about them looking for a FA boundary CB.

I'm basing this off of 2 things:

1) Misi missed plenty of games last season, and we don't have Trusnik on the roster anymore.
    2) Mike Tannenbaum specfically stated on a radio show that LB depth is something they will be looking at during the offseason.

It's possible they address this during the draft, but you can't leave every position for the draft, otherwise we end up depending on rookies to fill most of the voids.

10. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil

2) Might be true, but there's also the flexibility in the draft bit, though I'd also love to pick up a WR from this deep class.

3) Mike Tannenbaum specifically stated that LB depth is something they would address in the offseason... I'm going to try to find a link.

4) This is a weak safety class overall, but maybe it's an option.

5) I'd love Agholor as well, but CB depth is an issue, IMO.
    - As I stated before, Grimes is the only capable starter and he likely already is on the decline.
    - Jamar Taylor can be another starter, he's shown flashes, but he hasn't shown he can be dependable yet.
    - Will Davis is recovering from an injury and might not be ready at the start of the season.
    - Don't know much about Stanford and Heath, but I do remember Stanford got picked on quite a bit near the end of last season.

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I just don't think CB is important enough to use high resources on. With our dline and solid safeties, we'll be a stellar defense with JAGs at CB.

12. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    IMO this is just a horrible year for RB's. There are two late round prospects that interest me. Corey Grant the 4.2 speedster from Auburn who looked good catching the football at his pro day;, and the big kid from Azuza Pacific. Ran for 2,153 yards last year and led all of college football.http://www.apu.edu/stories/terrell-watson/

Terrell Watson

Maybe something like......MLB prospect Jake Ryan with one of our 5th's and RB Corey Grant with the other. Terrell Watson as a Priority free agent.

Compare Corey Grant to Reggie Bush as far as their physique and pro day numbers. Very Very similar.

13. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I just don't think the Dolphins need to add a young CB right now with anything higher than a mid-round pick. CB is definitely a position that requires a constant influx of talent because you need so many of them throughout the season with injuries and the fact that nickel and dime packages can put 3-4 guys on the field at once.

But we already have 3 young CBs on the roster who are developing nicely, why add a 4th high in the draft if you're looking for a rotational or developmental player? With the depth we have behind Grimes, I don't even like the thought of Trae Waynes to be honest. It seems like such a waste of a high pick. Between Grimes, Davis, Taylor and now McCain in the mix as well, we have our core, rest assured, but what we want is to avoid the dreaded Lowell Rose appearance late in the season. When that type of guy hits the field you obviously had major injuries to at least 1 or 2 players. That's when it would be preferable to have someone with a few years experience. Then again, when you're 5th on the depth chart you're just trying to hang in there so it's more about coaching that it is talent. Belichick will have his 5th best CB looking great during week 17, we've all seen him work his magic! That's really where the defensive coordinator and DB coaches should be earning their money, honestly.

It's hard for us to talk about this because we don't know how the team feels about Misi and his injuries or the potential of Jordan, McCain or Tripp seeing the field as starters this season. If either McCain or Tripp could start, that would be a game-changer for the LB-corp but we don't know enough to make that call.

14. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Meh...I'd like to see CB in 1 or 2. We're one injury away from a dire situation...and somebody will have to relieve Grimes before too long.

Brasfin likes this.
  15. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I'm just stuck on this whole 1st round pick thing...

I don't want to go DB because it seems unnecessary with the depth we currently have.

I feel like adding a LB would've been great but we added Suh and have several players competing for spots. If we have a front-7 that contains Cameron Wake, Ndamukong Suh, Olivier Vernon and a 1st round LB, I expect us to be the league's leading defensive front...anything less and I'll be disappointed. It seems like with Wake and Suh on the D-line, it's just a waste to put a 1st round pick into the LB corp unless you're landing a HoF player who you just can't pass up.

I feel like adding a WR is going to leave us with a bunch of what's left. If we pick WR in the first round, I don't want to settle for the 3rd or 4th best WR in the draft. We would want a game-changer.

The O-line seems like a bad idea with 3 first rounders on the line already. That seems like a free agency issue more than it does a draft issue.

There are no TEs worthy of a first round pick.

That's what led me back to the idea of drafting a RB. That idea also goes well with what I think the team needs at the moment (late-game toughness, less rush in Tannehill's face, a more balanced offense, more red zone production, etc.).

I don't think adding a 1st round CB, LB or WR would hurt us at all but I'm just trying to figure out which would have the biggest impact and if there's something I'm not seeing. At this point, I think an elite RB might be the best damn thing for the team: Gordon, Gurley, whichever.

16. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I'm not a scout by any means, so I naturally base my opinions heavily on what other experts say and who can convince me the most. The general consensus is that Gurley would be the undeniable top back, if not for the injury. I also like Gordon, but I think we already have Miller who has a similar skillset.

While Gordon is a pretty powerful runner in his own right, he seems to fall more into that "shifty, speedy" category... the Wisconsin OL is pretty good too, he usually had some pretty big holes to run through. I also think his 40-time didn't help his cause much. He's supposed to be that speed back who can take it to the house at anytime, but then he goes and posts a 4.52, which isn't bad, but he's not going to outrun defenses and score TDs on a regular basis in the NFL.

Gurley is the more powerful between-the-tackles runner that I think compliments Miller better. Gurley also seems to be a more natural catcher out of the backfield... maybe you can convince that this isn't the case and that Gordon is actually the better back?

17. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    Keep in mind that when Gordon went for 408 yards against that horrible Nebraska defensive front, his starting O-line had a combined 165 college starts. The most inexperienced of the group had 21 starts. The most senior player had 50 starts. Any way you slice that, Gordon was running wild through huge holes provided to him by a physical overwhelming group of lineman. He's not going to have such an advantage in the NFL but it's nice to know what he can do if he's got a chance. Watch that game and yes he does make a few really nice shifty moves on the DBs, but he's getting 5 and 10 yards down-field without so much as a finger on him.

The upside of Gordon is that ridiculous acceleration. If he has a crease he's on you in a heartbeat. You can't teach that.

18. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Brasfin, good write up think some of your plans are pretty spot on.

1. Completely agree and think that will happen. Right now though the market is not too bountiful and they seem content until waiting for the draft and some more off season cuts. We could see some nice names come available with June cuts. I do hope we draft a mid round OG to groom for future use. I like what I have heard and seen from Billy Turner. Dallas Thomas need to be a camp body and left at OG see if he has any value as backup there. Wisniewski is the only real name I'd sign at this point to start for us.

2. I thought Crabtree would've been signed by now but obviously the visit either medically or whatever reason didn't make them jump on the opportunity to do so. Jennings could be an option but as of right now seems like Round 1 or 2 in the draft will have a WR's name on the card. Round 1 for me: Cooper>Strong>Parker>DGB in that order. Round 2: Algholor>Smith>Dorsett

3. Love what I read this morning that team is high on McCain and hasn't decided whether Dion will be SLB or not. If we can have one of them win the SLB job that would be ideal. Misi is kind of the odd one out right now, as staff doesn't 100% believe in him at ILB but if McCain or Jordan wins they may have to go with him there, not a terrible scenario as adding Suh in the middle will help. In terms of depth I expect Jordan Tripp to replace Trusnik. Staff seems to like Kelvin Sheppard and he isn't a terrible role player having previous starting experience. Either way agree with you on depth needed but finding an upgrade at ILB would be the best scenario.

4. If his health didn't scare me I would be for it. But, we need to hit on at least 3 picks who can make immediate impact in year one. Gurley may very well be a medical red shirt and were not in a position to draft those at this point. If we had a 3rd round pick even I may feel more comfortable with it. I love your write up on the position and agree with your points a lot though.

5. Maybe, depends on Round 1 and rest of FA. I don't think that should be emphasis over OG/WR/ILB if I had a choice. What we need is Taylor to step up and prove he was worth 2nd round pick.

Brasfin likes this.