1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 things learned from training camp

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Aug 16, 2013.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Bpk, Disnardo, Aquafin and 2 others like this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    The part I think is very true:

3. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    He's just got to get that extra couple of seconds to get the WHOLE offense involved. Phins have good checkdowns but Wallace wont see the ball as much if Tanny gets happy feet. I'd like to see Ryan using that speed he has. Use it as a weapon. He's got the leg speed on roll outs. Will he have it ingrained to be a pocket passer?
    Im expecting good things from our Defense. They will win more games than lose down the stretch. Just too much talent to become a weakness.

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Bumphis is a playmaker and has a chance to become a faster version of Bess.

Bpk and MrClean like this.
  5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I like him, too.

6. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I don't know if it's just me but I don't think Tannehill has played nearly as fast as he did in college. He was lauded for a rapid release that I personally haven't seen yet translate into the NFL.

I'm expecting him to play well enough to win games and be efficient. I don't expect him to become prolific until late in this season of early next season.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Bpk likes this.
  7. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Is he a playmaker? He's great at getting into the comfort area on zones. Nothing wrong with that at all as its a weapon but a playmaker? I see playmakers as turning a short/medium reception into more. The catches Bumphis makes means sitting into the zone. Can he break out from a catch and go downfield? Not sure he can. He's still a great compliment to Wallace, Hartline and Gibson.

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    We have a different defintion of playmaker. I see playmakers as people who turn 3rd downs into 1st downs.

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Things I learned that I didn't already know from preseason:

1. Chad Bumphis isn't just a Chris Hogan type, but an actual play maker that will play in NFL games
    2. Jonas Gray looks as good in short yardage and goal line situations in the NFL as he did in college
    3. The Will Davis INT Machine is actually a real thing, not just a training camp report phenomenon

That's pretty much it...but it's only been two games.

As for what we learned in camp...a lot, and not a lot. We heard a lot. I'm not sure how much of what we heard is true. None of us were there. We listened to text reports from reporters, many of whom blatantly angled their updates to accentuate certain long running narratives.

Bpk, Disnardo and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Chris Hogan is hyping up in Buffalo as we speak.

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I've heard. He needs his own theme music.

[video=youtube;hz-KwtKRBUY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz-KwtKRBUY[/video]

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Seriously though Hogan got into the game and lo and behold he dropped a pass on 3rd & 2 that would have gained a 1st down, caught two passes for a whopping 11 yards, and did not create any missed tackles.

The best you can say is that one of his passes went for 7 yards on 3rd & 3, so he converted a 1st down.

This is why I consider Chad Bumphis to be different. Even in the game he hardly played, he only gets 5 pass snaps and he's thrown at 2 times, turns both into 1st downs, both were impressive plays in their own ways. He's got a league-leading 111 yards, 1 drop, a league-leading 3 broken/missed tackles he's created, 5 of his 7 catches went for 1st downs and what's actually important to me about that is several of them didn't just hand him the 1st down, he actually had to earn it.

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Not only that, he was able to punch press 225 over 20 times, yet cornerbacks that probably could do 9 were able to knock him off his route.

14. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Now that you bring that up, Chad Bumphis was able to bench press the 225 bar 17 times at 196 lbs.

Hogan did 28 reps at 221 lbs. So Bumphis results at 25 lbs lighter isn't bad.

Bpk likes this.
  15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    5 things I've learned thus far from camp..

Will Davis will be a good cover corner and a bad tackler..

Jon Martin has improved from an abysmal rookie season.

Mike Pouncey is an moron.

Chad Bumphis is an undrafted free agent that will be the fifth.

Will yeatman has potential at tackle.

Bpk, cuchulainn and dolfan22 like this.
  16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That is really good for a receiver his size.

17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Crazy how similar Chad Bumphis dimensions and athletic abilities are to Stedman Bailey. But of course Stedman has different traits and was much more productive in college.

18. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Bess' 40 time is right around 4.65, Bumphis' is right around 4.58… is that that much of a difference?

wondering what the cone drill times are… 10 yards splits?

19. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Wonder how much of that is a product of the offense each school runs?

20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i think it's a pretty significant difference, that Bumphis catch in the hall of fame game where he crossed the middle and turned the corner toward the sideline for 35 was not ground that Bess could of covered, if we're talking about just speed.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    You just picked the high for Bumphis, he also been timed at 4.52 and 4.46.

Bess's high was 4.8. The only way Bess can get to 4.46 is if he is running downhill with the wind behind him.

22. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Bumphis has game at speed. It showed up in his college footage.

23. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Up to this point the trade back into the 3rd round to get Davis is looking pretty good, and that night it was viewed as a reach by many. Honestly, I was concerned with his tackling ability. But he really has an instinct for the ball, something not seen very much in Miami over the last few years.

24. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I like Bumphis, but I would like to see Keenan Davis make the practice squad. I think he has potential. If I were going to keep another on the ps, I am not sure who that would be. Might be a pickup guy, but could be Tyms.

25. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    The one player that seems to have grown the most this summer might be Devlin. I hope he overcomes his injuries and makes the roster.

26. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I don't think he's in danger of being cut any time soon. Coaches like him. They will keep him, he's an asset to the team to be honest. At worst he'll likely be a competent number 2 in the league. Who knows, maybe if Tannehill tanks it Devlin gets a shot. When I say that I mean if Tannehill shows no growth as a player by middle/end of next maybe Devling gets the nod to see what he has. There would be no point in riding it with Moore unless you had an elite team around him and even then you'd need him to likely turn it on in the playoffs. At that stage it might be better to see what Devlin has.

27. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    was always a bess fan but you are right...

djphinfan likes this.
  28. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

Just what I found on the net… didnt really look to hard… not trying to skew the argument one way or another...

29. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Watching Bess play was so frustrating. Loved Bess, don't get me wrong.

But watching him juke defenders find a hole then get tackled two yards later because the guy he juked recovered and caught back up to him ...

Bpk likes this.
  30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think our D has a chance to be pretty special. We increased the speed and athleticism of our D significantly. We have more players in the secondary with a knack for generating TOs. And I see more pass rushers in both our basic sets and in our blitz packages.

On offense we have more weapons and our OL is better. I don't expect RT to reach the level where he carries our team this year, but I do think he can be a Schaub level QB this season. (4000 yards and 22/12). Philbin actually stated that 24 TDs was a reasonable expectation for RT recently. With a good running game and a good D that can translate to a pretty good record. (Houston did win 12games lat year). I'm not sure Miller will quite reach Foster's level but he could be close.

Bpk likes this.
  31. 72 Dolphins

72 Dolphins New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    No you didn't just compare RT to Schaub and Miller to Arian Foster. 4000 yards 22/12 - your dreaming. If he can put his QB rating in the 80's, I'll shut up about the guy. That will be significant if not improbable improvement considering.

And our O-Line is by far worse than last year. Especially depth.

Olivier Vernon is a nice suprise - He looks special but then he showed flashes of special last season. The secondary by seasons end will be better than last year. Dansby / Burnett vs. Ellerbe / Wheeler - I'll give you younger but better? possibly. I'm still waiting on Koa Misi to be more aggressive and make more plays.

The Defense and kicking game are still the strengths of the team. Both better be as good as we hope or Priscoe will look like a genius.

In the end, the offense will struggle, the defense has to many new components, but given more work out than don't, it could be a solid enough unit.

32. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    Why you picking on Misi? All he has to do is play contain and set the edge.

33. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Waiting on Misi to play better indicates to me that you don't even understand the position he plays. He plays a low stat position and was still able to have some solid statistical games.

As for 4,000 yards, considering we now have two receivers capable of 1,000 yard seasons, a tight end capable of 500 to 1,000 yards, a third receiver capable of 500 to 800 yards and a capable 4th guy, it's very possible.

As a rookie Tannehill threw 13 interceptions, unless he regresses, that should stay the same or decrease. We're not going against Watt or the Titans again. If Wallace catches 8 TDs, which he did in a down year, Gibson, Keller, and Hartline all catch 5, that's 23. You have to think with the receiving backs we have there are going to be 5 or so between them.

I think those numbers are somewhat possible with Tannehill last year but the surrounding cast of this year. If he is significantly better than end of year Tannehill, it's going to happen.

34. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I learned that ANLGP is still a member here.

Bpk likes this.
  35. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Funny thing is Bess is actually a better RAC guy than Hartline and Gibson.

36. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Most players working the slot and shorter routes tend to have better RAC than outside guys, unless the outside guys are special.

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It doesn't matter. It's just an exercise in picking a stat and using it to complain. Gibson has been among the best WRs at converting first downs. That's why he was brought in. If it were reversed and Gibson had produced more YAC, but been less effective at first downs then that would be the stat brought up by those that like to cite the negative.

38. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

That couple of extra seconds is the difference between a very good offensive line and a below average offensive line. Unfortunately the overall play of the Dolphins line will probably remain below average this season.

The RG position is a major weakness and Martin will probably continue to have his problems against the better pass rushers he faces this season. While Clabo is suppose to be strong in the running game, he is suspect in his pass blocking. Unfortunately I think Tannehill is going to continue to have to run for his life most times he drops back to pass.

39. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Yes

40. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Bumphis was 4.55 at his pro day. That is a pretty good difference over 4.65. Bess has a better 10 yd split, 1.53 at the combine. Bumphis was 1.59 at his pro day. Bumphis has a better cone with 6.87, compared to 6.97 for Bess at the combine.