1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

53 man roster more less, set, what surprised you?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Sep 6, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, we are more or less down to our 53 man roster to face the 4th most difficult schedule in the NFL since 1990.

From April until now, I've got to say there are a few surprises:

1. Brandon Frye being cut...Sparano really talked him up during the OTA's, and he played G/T and had starting experience.

2. 4 Te's...Ireland and Sparano, the mad alchemists are at it again...5 Rb's?

3. Q Moses and Rod Wright coming full circle in Miami, Wright was one of the few bright spots in a dismal 2007, as was Quentin Moses, now Wright is no longer here and Q Moses has emerged.

4. Q taking Matt Roth's spot at OLB...that really is a shock, the Roth situation is a shock, but Q was widely believed to be a bubble player coming into this preseason cycle.

5. Brandon London being released, he had signed an extension.

6. Cameron Wake being a 4th string player, in danger of not being active on Sundays...maybe...no one can really say what they intend to do with 6 OLB's, Moses, Anderson and Wake can all play DE, but Wake is not up to snuff at OLB yet, unless Wake's pass rush really impressed Sparano and DC Pasqualoni, Q Moses and C Anderson could easily play Nickel DE freeing up a roster spot for someone else on Gameday.

7. Andrew Gardner is our swing tackle...he is a fascinating prospect, a All ACC OT to late round pick coming off of injured shoulder to now being our primary backup at OT is astounding, he may be simply stashed on the roster while we look for a Veteran Tackle, or, the more likely in my view, Sparano really likes the 6'6 315 pd rookie.

Andrew Gardner more than any other player may have benefitted the most from the 4 deep passrushing OLB unit, every day in practice he faced a player who could turn the corner on him, he had to have shown a lot.

8. Lexxy Hilliard making the roster...maybe they believe he is an H-Back in the making?

The one cut player that I'd love to see make it to the practice squad is William Kershaw, he is the prototypical Big Inside Linebacker, Fast and Mobile, I'd like to see him stick around on the Developmental Squad.

Any other surprises?

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Really really hope Krenshaw sticks with PS as you say, I personally doubt it.

On Gardner. I think he was Hot and Cold...the key being, at times he looked like much more than a kid just out of College AND haveing shoulder surgery.

He has a LONG way's to go, but realistically, if indeed he has to come in, it will always be at RT, unless of course both starting Tackles get injured :pity:
    He is a big kid and can indeed move people out of the way. His footwork needs lots of work IMO, but so did Jake's early last year. We will have to see what transpires there.

I think Hilliard is going to spend LOTS of time learning how to be a special teams ace. One problem with that is his speed is bursts, not long line like we need. We will see what his contributions are.

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    not over yet

4. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    It is strange that we are keeping 4TEs and 5RBs.