1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

53 man roster

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    yeah... just thinking that, I do, I'll have to go back and rewatch that part of the game they cut.

2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He is the MLB, yet on some run plays you see him get to the perimeter faster than the OLB on that side.
    In a perfect world, IMO, we'd cut Trusnik and Spitler, and keep Lee, Kaddu and Jenkins as our reserves.

Paul 13 likes this.
  3. MrClean

With the option where they remove the huddles and such, you can see the whole game in 30 mins :)

Paul 13 likes this.
  4. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    yeah, go back and rewatch the last Texans touchdown. They run a play action and Kaddu tries to chase his TE from one side of the field to the other, I think he bumps into Robinson on the way. I'm sure there was a better way to defend that play from a linebacking perspective.

MrClean likes this.
  5. MrClean

How did we handle Kaddu at the final cutdown last year? Seems like he went through waivers, ended up on the PS, then was signed back to the 53 later. It may not be all that surprising if he gets waived, and signed to the PS. Right now, I'd say LeeR, and Kaddu both deserve a spot over Jenkins. The only reason I see Jenkins making the 53 at the final cutdown and sticking is because of draft status.

Paul 13 likes this.
  6. MrClean

I don't think Spitler is likely to track down many ball carriers outside the tackles. He is good for making the stop 3 yds downfield on run plays between the tackles, and not much else outside of STs.

Paul 13 likes this.
  7. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I don't think Clay is fighting anyone for a roster spot. He does more jobs than anyone else on the team(TE, FB, Slot, ST).

I expect a solid season from Clay. Gifted athlete and a tough SOB, but he was in way over his head last year.

pacadermng67 likes this.
  8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Which is really sad, IMO.

9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Louis missed all kinds of blocks. He let his man fill the gap (i.e. get his hips into the gap) in run defense more times than not.

10. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Kaddu was playing more of a true linebacker position and was even in on Nickel packages last night, which is a bit of a departure. I think they're looking for a reason to keep him when he's otherwise buried too far down the depth chart

Bpk likes this.
  11. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    you're correct, that is how we handled Kaddu.

MrClean likes this.
  12. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    I don't know how you can put Gillislee on the 53 at this point. He doesn't look like a pro back at all. Hopefully he turns things around big time in the next two games...but as of now, him making the roster is just a sign of how bad our backfield is, imo. I'm very confident we can find someone better than Gills on the waiver wire.

13. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Here's my stab at the 53. Before I thought we'd go 4 TEs and 5 WRs but now I'm thinking we go with 6 WRs.

QB - Tannehill, Moore, Devlin
    RB - Miller, Thomas, Gillislee, Thigpen
    FB - Lane
    WR - Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, McNutt, Bumphis
    TE - Clay, Sims, Egnew
    OT - Martin, Clabo, Garner, Thomas
    OG - Incognito, Jerry, Louis, Samuda
    C - Pouncey

DE - Wake, Vernon, Jordan, Shelby
    DT - Starks, Soliai, Odrick, Martin, Randall
    LB - Ellerbe, Wheeler, Misi, Trusnik, Robinson, Jenkins
    CB - Grimes, Patterson, Marshall, Davis, Taylor, Carroll
    S - R.Jones, Clemons, Wilson

ST - Sturgis, Fields, Denney

MrClean likes this.
  14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I would consider that infraction minor compared to what Samuda was doing.

15. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    In run blocking? It's not really much better. It's kind of the run blocking equivalent to what Samuda was doing.

Listen if your standard is "better than Samuda = good" then you're likely to see Lance Louis having played really well. I'm just saying that shouldn't be our standard, and no he didn't really play that well.

16. MrClean

No disagreement there. The thing with him though is he may still be ascending as a player. Spitler and Trusnik have peaked IMO. What we see is what we'll get from here on out with those two.

17. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    He's a rookie.

18. MrClean

I like it for the most part. I think we may keep only 5 WRs though, keep Gray instead, and ERod instead of Lane due to his versatility. I think with Louis, if he does not get named the starter at the end of camp, he may not be kept at all as a backup because he isn't as position versatile, compared to someone like Yeatman.

smahtaz likes this.
  19. MrClean

So cutting Jenkins wouldn't be unprecedented in our recent history as it pertains to 4th round rookie LBs.

20. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, I'd keep ERod over Lane as well. He's more versatile on offense, and he was doing good on STs coverage yesterday. Only thing that makes me even hesitate to not have Lane off the list is that he's always the upback on KRs.

21. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Except Kaddu was drafted in the 5th round, 155 overall.

22. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    doing well... :wink2:

Stitches likes this.
  23. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    no cmon, you and i both know that's not what I meant.... now, in run blocking, as a guard, if you have a guy equal to you, or shading you outside, and you let him get inside you, into the gap, crossing your face, it's not ideal. But if you still have him blocked inside (towards the center), the running back can adjust and look for the hole to the outside (instead of the inside). Pass protection is a different animal. The spacing is different, you can't push a pass rusher inside our outside, as a guard, you have to anchor and get in front of him. Unless you are fortunate enough to have your quarterback adjust (which is definitely not part of the plan).

24. MrClean

Do you think one round will make a difference if there are 3-4 backup LBs who are outplaying Jenkins?

25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    What you're not supposed to do is let the guy get his hips into the gap. That's what I'm referring to. He can have a little bit of an edge on the gap and that's normal but if his hips are in the gap then he's not blocked, hence you've not blocked him. I noticed Lance Louis allowing that to happen a lot during the game. Put that together with his clear fall off in mobility which should damage the zone protection story, and he's not compelling. We're celebrating him because we're in "anyone but Samuda" mode.

26. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    We will find out. I cant recall a fourth round pick this close to not making the 53 though. Maybe we can IR him.

27. MrClean

It wasn't by us, but Quentin Moses was either a 3rd or 4th that the Raiders cut in his rookie training camp. Sometime before we ended up with him. I remember when he was a junior, he was considered a can't miss 1st round pass rushing stud. He slumped as a senior, fell in the draft, then got cut in camp. Miami tried him as a reclamation project but for me his biggest claim to infamy was we kept him over the better Rob Ninkovich who is still balling for the Pats. :sad:

28. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Qb: Tannehill, Moore, Devlin
    RB: Miller, Thomas, Gillislee, Gray
    FB: Rodriguez
    WR: Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, McNutt, Thigpen
    TE: Clay, Sims, Egnew
    LT: Martin
    LG: Incognito
    C: Pouncey
    RG: Jerry
    RT: Clabo
    Reserve Olineman: Garner, Yeatman, Thomas and Samuda
    DE: Wake, Vernon, Jordan, Shelby
    DT: Soliai, Odrick, Starks, Robertson
    MLB: Ellerbe, Spitler
    OLB: Wheeler, Misi, Trusnik, Freeny, Jenkins
    CB: Grimes, Marshall, Patterson, Taylor, Davis
    S: Jones, Clemons, McCray, Wilson
    K: Sturgis
    P: Fields
    LS: Denney

I think this is the 53 we're going with now. McNutt is a bigger target than Bumphis which I think we'll like, the depth at Dline is tough too. I'd love to see Bumphis, the O bros, Francis, and Lee Robinson on the practice squad

29. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    When he was drafted this year? Yes.

He just won't be on the active roster.

30. pdaj

pdaj Well-Known Member

The way the Dolphins' roster is set up now, I can't support keeping Devlin on the 53. Tannehill is your young, cost-controlled, (presumed) franchise QB, and Matt Moore is perhaps the best backup QB in the league. Is keeping Pat really necessary? Depth = success, and depth on the line or in the secondary will prove to be most valuable in-season. I'd rather see us pocket an extra d-lineman or cornerback.

BTFU --

I wonder if Yeatman and Garner are battling for one spot. I'm also less enthused about keeping 4 RB than I was a week ago.

31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I really don't to lose Randall and Francis. It is hard to keep them though.

32. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Shoot I forgot Randall, sub him in for Robertson and try to put Robertson on the practice squad

33. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I would say you are definitely in the minority on Devlin. I'd keep him over Matt Moore if we're only keeping two quarterbacks, which I think we'll keep three of course...

34. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    [h=2]2nd version. (with backs, lol.)[/h]

• WR Hartline, Wallace, Gibson, Matthews, Bumphis, Thigpen
    • OL Martin, Incognito, Pouncey, Jerry, Clabo, Garner, Thomas, Louis, Samuda
    • TE Clay, Sims, Egnew
    • RB/FB Miller, Thomas, Gillislee, Rodriguez
    • QB Tannehill, Devlin, Moore
    • DL Wake, Odrick, Starks, Soliai, Vernon, Shelby, Randall, Jordan, Martin
    • LB Misi, Ellerbe, Wheeler, Trusinik, Robinson, Jenkins
    • CB Grimes, Marshall, Patterson, Taylor, Davis, Carroll
    • S Clemons, Jones, Wilson, McCray
    • K/P/ST: Sturgis, Fields, Denney

35. pdaj

pdaj Well-Known Member

You'd keep Devlin over Moore based on what evidence that he's a superior player?

If PD plays a snap for Miami this decade, we're in big f-cking trouble.

36. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hard to make a 53-man projection at this point, as I think there are some positions that will be filled by other teams cuts later on, such as backup linebackers and safeties. Here's what I'd go with right now

QB - Tannehill, Moore, Devlin (3)
    RB - Miller, Thomas (2)
    WR - Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews (4)
    TE - Clay, Sims, Engew (3)
    OL - Martin, Incognito, Pouncey, Clabo, Thomas, Samuda (6)
    DL - Wake, Vernon, Jordan, Shelby, Soliai, Randall, Starks, Odrick (8)
    LB - Misi, Ellerbe, Wheeler (3)
    CB - Grimes, Taylor, Davis (3)
    S - Clemons, Jones (2)
    ST - Sturgis, Fields, Denney, Thigpen (4)

The above 38 guys I think are relative "locks" to make the roster. As of now, I'd probably be inclined to take the following:

RB - Gray or Gillislee (1)
    FB - Rodriguez or Lane* (1)
    WR - Bumphis or McNutt (1)
    OL - Jerry or Louis (1)
    OL - Yeatman or Brenner (1)
    DL - Robertson or Martin (1)
    LB - Two or three between the mix of Spitler, Trusnik, Kaddu, Jenkins, Freeny, or Robinson (2) - I'll go conservative here.
    CB - Patterson or Marshall (1) - Purely a salary cap decision here.
    CB - Stanford or Posey (1) - As a special teams guy. I'd give the nod to Stanford based on that.
    S - Jimmy Wilson (1)

That's another 11 guys, giving me a total of 49. I'm still looking for another two LBs (51), and two DBs (53).

* I asterisked the FB spot as I think Miami may also try and add a more true TE type as well. But, for now, I'll have either of those two as both have had multiple special teams roles in preseason thus far.

I'd be more inclined to keep Tracy Robertson over A.J. Francis just because Robertson can play 3 spots, and Francis has only played 1, but I'm definitely hoping I can sneak Francis onto the practice squad. I think Sam Brenner is a candidate to go there as well due to his versatility. Don Jones might be worth developing as well.

The depth at linebacker I think is pretty thin. Josh Kaddu probably had his best performance from either this year or last year's preseason against Houston. I'm not sure I'd take Lee Robinson as he struggles to get off blocks once engaged. Spitler, Trusnik, and Freeny are all special teams guys. I'm not sure I want any of them rolling into real action for an extended period, though I think at least one of those 3 is on the roster.

Paul 13 likes this.
  37. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I saw a bit more talent and flexibility in self proclaimed big sexy (francis)than Randall or Robertson.

38. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Kelcie McCray hasn't shown anything, nor has jones, I know their young, but give me somethin, I don't see how Nolan carroll makes the team but he seems to get play all the time.

39. rumple

rumple Mr Negative

Aug 3, 2011
    Moore is on a 1 year deal with his inflated cap number next year. You keep Devlin and make a decision this offseason whether he will be the primary back up next year.

Paul 13 likes this.
  40. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    have you been paying attention this preseason?