53 man roster

319 replies

RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
Aug 19, 2013, 09:46 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

I saw a bit more talent and flexibility in self proclaimed big sexy (francis)than Randall or Robertson.

Randall's been going against 1s and 2s, while Francis has pretty much been 2s and mostly 3s. Robertson has run against 1s, 2s, and 3s. I'll take Robertson solely because they've used him as a 1 technique, 3 technique, 5 technique, and he's been on sub packages with the 2s. That said, Francis, IMO has still shown enough to warrant developing. He's like this year's Isaako Aatui. Good enough to make you notice him, but not there yet.

@KevinMD4

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 19, 2013, 10:52 PM

"RoninFin4 wrote:

Randall's been going against 1s and 2s, while Francis has pretty much been 2s and mostly 3s. Robertson has run against 1s, 2s, and 3s. I'll take Robertson solely because they've used him as a 1 technique, 3 technique, 5 technique, and he's been on sub packages with the 2s. That said, Francis, IMO has still shown enough to warrant developing. He's like this year's Isaako Aatui. Good enough to make you notice him, but not there yet.

Randall is limited athletically, Francis has a bit more upside to him it seems, especially if he can start taking care of his #1 tool.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Aug 19, 2013, 10:53 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

Randall is limited athletically, Francis has a bit more upside to him it seems, especially if he can start taking care of his #1 tool.

While Francis has looked impressive, what has he shown to look more athletic than Randall?

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 19, 2013, 11:22 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

While Francis has looked impressive, what has he shown to look more athletic than Randall?

Well, neither seem to be able to get around a blocker with a move or athletic ability, it's more to do with power, so the comparison looks to be one of coordination and who's a bit more agile, I just see some more upside in those depts, and when your talking about low end draft picks or undrafted free agents, I think upside goes into some decision making, I'm not saying Francis is the better player at this point , I just see a bit more explosiveness, agility, quickness on his side, one more big game to go..should be a good battle.

Lee2000Lee2000Supporter
Aug 20, 2013, 12:26 AM

Regardless of what you may think about Francis, I think the odds are he gets claimed if he is waived. A matter of whether you like him on this team relative to other choices, like Martin.

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Aug 20, 2013, 02:26 AM

"Paul 13 wrote:

I disagree.

Sage Rosenfels comes to mind.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Aug 20, 2013, 10:13 AM

My 53 at this point:

QB (2)
Tannehill and Moore - Devlin apparently has PS eligibility and his hand injury should keep him from being poached. Also it's en vogue to only keep 2 QBs nowadays.

RB (4)
Miller, Thomas, Gray, Thigpen - Gilleslee is a guy I like, but he's not shown enough. I see him as a PS candidate. I gambled here by not keeping a FB on the roster, but they're easy to find and Clay will fill the dual role FB/TE.

WR (5)
Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, Bumphis - McNutt and Bumphis are close and my guess is that they may like McNutt more b/c of his size, but IMO we have some big guys that can provide what McNutt does in Gibson and Matthews, we don't have a Bumphis type.

TE (3)
Clay, Sims, Egnew - Miller might make the PS.

OL (10)
Martin, Incognito, Pouncey, Clabo, Samuda, Thomas, Louis, Jerry, Garner, Yeatman - That's one too many but w/o more injury info on Louis, Jerry and Garner, I'm keeping all three for now. I'd probably stash the one with the longest recover time frame on the PUP list for the first 6 weeks to free up a spot though.

DL (10)
Wake, Soliai, O'Drick, Starks, Vernon, Jordan, Randall, Shelby, Francis, Robertson - I'm keeping Francis over Martin b/c I see more potential. Robertson is a PS candidate. I kept him over a FB b/c I see some potential and I hate losing good players. He's probably #53 and would be the first out if vet TE became available.

LB (7)
Ellerbe, Wheeler, Misi, Trusnik, Kaddu, Robinson, Jenkins - Kaddu and Freeney were a close call for me. I keep Jenkins over Spitler based on upside. I'm not thrilled wth our depth here. The one upside is that I believe Jordan has enough position flexibility to be used here in case of emergency.

Secondary (9)
Grimes, Marshall, Patterson, Taylor, Davis, Caroll, Jones, Clemons, Wilson - Caroll and McCray were close but McCray has PS eligibility and Marshall has S experience. I love our top 5 CBs and Jones. Clemons is a decent starter. I see top 5 in the league potential in that unit, but I'm not happy with our last two.

STs (3)
Sturgis, Fields, Denney - Solid group.

I'm looking at opportunities at TE, LB and CB. I'm not as concerned as most about RG. I think there's talent there that just needs to get healthy. I'm not even as down on Samuda as most. I think he's decent against the strong guys he just struggles with the quicker DTs. These last two match-ups have made him look worse than he is.

I love our QBs, WRs, OL, DL, secondary and STs. RBs have talent, but Miller has disappointed of late. I see top 10 physical talent there, but I think he's just a dumb guy. You can be a dumb guy at RB and be very successful though. I just haven't seen it on the field enough this preseason (just flashes). I like our starting LBs well enough. (I love Ellerbe), but I don't care for our depth. I can say the same about our secondary. The starters are very good and CB goes five deep, but there are a couple of guys I'd really want to upgrade.

btfu149btfu149Forum Veteran
Aug 20, 2013, 01:08 PM

Bumphis needs to make the team because I already named my fantasy football team "You Got Bumphisted"

JWjw3102Forum Veteran
Aug 20, 2013, 01:18 PM

"smhemi wrote:

Dont think Daniel Thomasl will be on the team,I believe they will trade him for whatever they can get for him.Id rather have Jonas Grey as our short yardage back.

The way it appears right now, Thomas just might be the starter at RB this year. Miller is better suited as a change of pace back. Just like he was used when Bush was here last year. Grey will probably be used when the Dolphins need short yardage and down close to the goal line. I don't see Gillislee as one of the top three backs and it wouldn't surprise me if he is cut and maybe added to the practice squad if no team claims him.

I'm not a big Thomas fan, but so far he has been the best RB on the team during preseason. There is absolutely no way the Dolphins would trade him at this time. I personally think RB will end up being a problem for the Dolphins this year and I wish Bush was still on the roster. He is better than any of the RB's now on the Dolphins roster.

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Aug 24, 2013, 11:05 PM

53 updated as follows here after the Bucs game:

After the Bucs game, I'm thinking I'm more unsure of the 53 now than ever... needless to say, there will be a lot of roster turnover at the bottom 5 to 7 guys... meaning we'll be bringing in guys from other teams to fill those spots... so this is kinda pointleess at this stage but here goes.

  • WR Hartline, Wallace, Gibson, Matthews, McNutt

  • OL Martin, Incognito, Pouncey, Samuda, Clabo, Garner, Thomas, Jerry, Yeatman

  • TE Egnew, Sims, Clay

  • RB/FB Miller, Thomas, Gillislee, Rodriguez

  • QB Tannehill, Devlin, Moore

  • DL Wake, Odrick, Starks, Soliai, Vernon, Shelby, Randall, Jordan, Francis

  • LB Misi, Ellerbe, Wheeler, Freeny, Trusnik, Kaddu, Spitler

  • CB Grimes, Patterson, Taylor, Davis, Carroll

  • S Clemons, Jones, Wilson, McCray

  • K/P/ST: Sturgis, Fields, Thigpen, Denney

Out: Bumphis (just not getting the reps), Louis (nothing to see here), Marshall, Gray (that fumble was a killer)
In: McNutt (runs nice routes, I like Tyms too for the PS if he's eligible), Spitler (special teams), Carroll (guess so), Gillislee (good game tonight)

IMO there are clearly some guys who shouldn't be buying property in South Florida just yet. Gillislee and McNutt especially.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Aug 24, 2013, 11:09 PM

The few times I focused on Louis he played very well.

ANAnonymousSupporter
Aug 24, 2013, 11:15 PM

I'm hoping there will be a quality running back to pick up before the first game of the season starts.

Lee2000Lee2000Supporter
Aug 24, 2013, 11:35 PM

"Disgustipate wrote:

I'm not going to write out an entire one because it'll be 90% similarities, but I think a couple of considerations:

  • I think they keep Miller/Thomas/Gray/Gillislee at RB

  • Keller, Sims, Egnew, and Clay(FB) at TE

  • I think they're going to err heavily on the side of keeping too many WRs with good performance. Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, with either Tyms and Bumphis both making or battling for same spot

  • I don't think Vaughn Martin makes the roster. Kheeston Randall has been better, and they instead go Soliai/Starks/Odrick/Randall and stash potentially both Robertson and Francis on the PS

  • I think linebacker gets pared down a bit more than most lists, with one back-up for each position. Wheeler, Ellerbe, Misi, then Jenkins, Spitler, and Trusinik. Freeny is a bit of a hard cut, I think they need to look into the feasibility of someone else getting reps at MLB.

  • I think there is a lot of flexibility to play with OLB/End rushers- Misi, Trusinik, Vernon, and Jordan have a degree of overlap as OLB/LBs.

  • They are going to err on the side of caution with cornerback, with Grimes, Patterson, Marshall, Davis, Taylor, and Carroll sticking.

I don't see Francis making practice squad (someone will claim him). Robertson is likely for PS Bumphis's reps have plummeted and I am not sure why. Has he been that bad in practice?

btfu149btfu149Forum Veteran
Aug 24, 2013, 11:48 PM

"Lee2000 wrote:

I don't see Francis making practice squad (someone will claim him). Robertson is likely for PS Bumphis's reps have plummeted and I am not sure why. Has he been that bad in practice?

I like Francis and hope he sticks. As amazing as Bumphis' name is I don't think he makes it anymore

JWjw3102Forum Veteran
Aug 25, 2013, 08:39 AM

"pdaj wrote:

Hypothetical --

Tanny and Moore go down in game one of the regular season.

How many games does Devlin win for us? 3?

I don't really see the Dolphins keeping 3 QB's on the 53 man roster. Devlin just hasn't seemed to improve his play during his time with the Dolphins. If Tannehill and Moore were to go down and Devlin had to fill in for the last 15 games. I think 3-4 wins would be about the best this team would do.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Aug 25, 2013, 08:49 AM

"jw3102 wrote:

I don't really see the Dolphins keeping 3 QB's on the 53 man roster. Devlin just hasn't seemed to improve his play during his time with the Dolphins. If Tannehill and Moore were to go down and Devlin had to fill in for the last 15 games. I think 3-4 wins would be about the best this team would do.

Devlin has been objectively better than Moore this preseason. Devlin has been hampered by our 3rd string oline, and has literally outplayed Moore.

LarryfinfanLarryfinfanSupporter
Aug 25, 2013, 09:01 AM

"smhemi wrote:

Dont think Daniel Thomasl will be on the team,I believe they will trade him for whatever they can get for him.Id rather have Jonas Grey as our short yardage back.

I think that fumble sealed his fate...

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Aug 25, 2013, 09:07 AM

"Larryfinfan wrote:

I think that fumble sealed his fate...

I doubt it.

Everyone fumbles. Without gray we have no one who can pick short yardage or punch it in from the goal line. Daniel Thomas is literally one of the worst RBs in the league at that.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Aug 25, 2013, 09:16 AM

"Fin D wrote:

I doubt it.

Everyone fumbles. Without gray we have no one who can pick short yardage or punch it in from the goal line. Daniel Thomas is literally one of the worst RBs in the league at that.

The problem is, and I agree with you, this coaching staff doesn't seem to agree. There is nothing that Daniel Thomas brings to this team that couldn't be filled with Gillislee or Gray. And obviously a couple things like short yardage situations, things they could do better.

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Aug 25, 2013, 09:20 AM

"Paul 13 wrote:

53 updated as follows here after the Bucs game:

After the Bucs game, I'm thinking I'm more unsure of the 53 now than ever... needless to say, there will be a lot of roster turnover at the bottom 5 to 7 guys... meaning we'll be bringing in guys from other teams to fill those spots... so this is kinda pointleess at this stage but here goes.

  • WR Hartline, Wallace, Gibson, Matthews, McNutt

  • OL Martin, Incognito, Pouncey, Samuda, Clabo, Garner, Thomas, Jerry, Yeatman

  • TE Egnew, Sims, Clay

  • RB/FB Miller, Thomas, Gillislee, Rodriguez

  • QB Tannehill, Devlin, Moore

  • DL Wake, Odrick, Starks, Soliai, Vernon, Shelby, Randall, Jordan, Francis

  • LB Misi, Ellerbe, Wheeler, Freeny, Trusnik, Kaddu, Spitler

  • CB Grimes, Patterson, Taylor, Davis, Carroll

  • S Clemons, Jones, Wilson, McCray

  • K/P/ST: Sturgis, Fields, Thigpen, Denney

Out: Bumphis (just not getting the reps), Louis (nothing to see here), Marshall, Gray (that fumble was a killer)
In: McNutt (runs nice routes, I like Tyms too for the PS if he's eligible), Spitler (special teams), Carroll (guess so), Gillislee (good game tonight)

IMO there are clearly some guys who shouldn't be buying property in South Florida just yet. Gillislee and McNutt especially.

The more I think about the Bumphis situation, the more its becoming obvious to me. I think they restricted Bumphis' play in hopes to keep him on the practice squad. They seem to like Tyms and his size.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Aug 25, 2013, 09:29 AM

"Nappy Roots wrote:

The problem is, and I agree with you, this coaching staff doesn't seem to agree. There is nothing that Daniel Thomas brings to this team that couldn't be filled with Gillislee or Gray. And obviously a couple things like short yardage situations, things they could do better.

I don't think they agree that Gray fumble last night sealed his fate. But I'm with you in not understanding what the staff sees in Thomas.

Thomas:


Att
Yrds
Avg
TD
Fumble
Long


19
52
2.7
0
0
13

Gray:


Att
Yrds
Avg
TD
Fumble
Long


33
99
3.0
2
1
29

Gillislee:


Att
Yrds
Avg
TD
Fumble
Long


28
78
2.7
0
0
10

Thomas has run against better competition but he's also had better blocking. Gray was also used in goal line situations so his average will be lower, but he did get 2 tds out of it.

In case anyone isn't paying attention, you'll notice that even though DT is getting hype and Gillislee is getting cut by fans...they virtually identical numbers.

KB21KB21Supporter
Aug 25, 2013, 09:32 AM

"Nappy Roots wrote:

The more I think about the Bumphis situation, the more its becoming obvious to me. I think they restricted Bumphis' play in hopes to keep him on the practice squad. They seem to like Tyms and his size.

That's the impression I get. My guess is, they keep 6 receivers -- Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, McNutt, and Tyms. They will see if they can get Bumphis on the practice squad. Bumphis has gone 2 games without a target. The only other reason I can think of for his lack of action is that they have already decided that he's on the team and were giving McNutt and Tyms more opportunities to see what they can do.

With Daniel Thomas, it will not surprise me if they start shopping him around. They talked him up and gave him a lot of reps with the 1st team over the past 2 weeks. They talked him up to the point that there was a suggestion that he was pushing Lamar Miller for the top running back spot. When given the opportunity, Thomas didn't perform. Outside of a couple of runs this preseason, Daniel Thomas has been the same old Daniel Thomas. He's a big back that doesn't run like a big back. He kind of reminds me of Terry Kirby back in the day. Terry was a 230+ lbs running back that looked like he ran on glass all the time. Terry was a much better receiver though.

DEDen54Supporter
Aug 25, 2013, 09:39 AM

"Fin D wrote:

I doubt it.

Everyone fumbles. Without gray we have no one who can pick short yardage or punch it in from the goal line. Daniel Thomas is literally one of the worst RBs in the league at that.

If Tampa is dumb enough to cut Mike James, I wouldn't think twice about replacing Gray with him.

DEDen54Supporter
Aug 25, 2013, 09:42 AM

"KB21 wrote:

That's the impression I get. My guess is, they keep 6 receivers -- Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, McNutt, and Tyms. They will see if they can get Bumphis on the practice squad. Bumphis has gone 2 games without a target. The only other reason I can think of for his lack of action is that they have already decided that he's on the team and were giving McNutt and Tyms more opportunities to see what they can do.

With Daniel Thomas, it will not surprise me if they start shopping him around. They talked him up and gave him a lot of reps with the 1st team over the past 2 weeks. They talked him up to the point that there was a suggestion that he was pushing Lamar Miller for the top running back spot. When given the opportunity, Thomas didn't perform. Outside of a couple of runs this preseason, Daniel Thomas has been the same old Daniel Thomas. He's a big back that doesn't run like a big back. He kind of reminds me of Terry Kirby back in the day. Terry was a 230+ lbs running back that looked like he ran on glass all the time. Terry was a much better receiver though.

For the life of me, I never remembered him being that big.

Lee2000Lee2000Supporter
Aug 25, 2013, 09:56 AM

I feel bad for Gray, but his fumble sealed his fate.