1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7/27/08 FG's Training Camp Notes

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finsgirlie, Jul 27, 2008.

1. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    I'm back again this year to give you guys my point of views in training camp...just consider it a nice addition to the already spectacular reports flooding through our site :) So wow! There was a lot of action at this afternoons practice. The crowd was really hyped for both Ricky and Ronnie clapping and cheering for every run and catch. And they sure did play to the crowd, both performing spectacularly. If I were to bet my house on their little 1000 yard prediction I could do it with about 90% clarity. Of course, I am a Dolphins fans, and Dolphins fans have shown they HAVE to have optimism. :lol:

Overall I was impressed by our backs and our ball handling. There was an improvement on ball protection as well.

I was NOT impressed by our QBs...when they DID try to show off it was overthrown, underthrown, etc. If you based who would start on today's practice, it would have been Henne. (this is not my opinion of who will be the starter for the year, only based on todays performances)
    So, lets get into the drills.

Blocking Drills
    The guys were doing some blocking drills with 2 pairs of 2 at a time. The whistle would blow and the guys would just crash into each other trying to hold the other off for as long as possible. Some of the pairs in this drill were:
    • 88 David Martin vs. 98 Matt Roth
    • 95 Jason Ferguson vs. 64 Samson Satele
    • 48 Matthew Mulligan vs 46 Boomer Grigsby

Other Notables:
    • 38 Patrick Cobbs either is loving the blocking drills or is taking these training camps serious...throughout the day I noticed he was giving 100% but particularly in the blocking drills he was a little hot house....roughing up his opponent well past the whistle blow
    • After their set was done I noticed 49 Kelly Poppinga push 31 Jalen Parmele enough to knock him off balance and to send a trainer in between the two of them
    • Also, 90 Rodrique Wright is going to be one of those small time players to keep your eye on this year. He was just cleared 2 months ago after having shoulder surgery and he is BEASTLY. In this drill his footing was on mark every time and he used his upper body like a barn. Definitely keep your eyes out for him this year to make a little spark.

Check out how Beck is all startled and about to protect himself from the big bad monsters :lol:
    [​IMG]

Defensive Drills
    3 guys with mats stood as defenders and the other 3 guys had to go up and hit the mats then fake around and 2 hand the back who was running up the middle
    • They used 31 Jalen Parmele, 26 Lex Hilliard, 39 ?, and 47 Courtney Bryan as ball runners
    • 89 Sean Ryan, 56 Charlie Anderson, and 45 Reagan Mauia were all defenders

[​IMG]

8-man scrimmage

There was a drill of 4 on 4 (plus a QB and a back) where the QB hands off to a back and the back tries to make it through the 8 guys
    • 7 Chad Henne handing off to 38 Patrick Cobbs, 45 Reagan Mauia, 31 Jalen Parmele, & 23 Ronnie Brown
    • Parmele showed off during this drill also shooting through the pile strong and fast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Receiving Drills

• A kicker (3 Jay Feely everytime) would kick to a receiver waiting on the opposite side of the field and the defenders job was to get inside the 30 before the receiver advanced. They did that maybe 3 or 4 times before changing to the next drill
    • They had 2 man-sized pads set up one on the right and one on the left and there were 2 defenders that had to fake out the pads (i know... :lol: ) and then 2 hand touch the receiver who received a kick from an unknown kicker number 5 (anyone knowing the identity of this man please let us know....i've looked around and found nothing :shrug: )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two Tacos, Brown42000, evz and 11 others like this.
  2. finsgirlie

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    Offensive Drills

This was basically an interchanging of players on every play...large groups working on blocking and occasionally Beck would pass it.
    • This is where I saw one ball overthrown to 20 Chris Crocker who dove to catch the ball and came up with nothing
    • Beck throws to 38 Patrick Cobbs way to the left who butterfingers it and drops it
    • 24 Renaldo Hill caught an interception thrown by Beck
    • 23 RB and 34 RW were constants in this drill catching and running consistantly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two Tacos, Brown42000, evz and 8 others like this.
  3. finsgirlie

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    Some Misc. Notes

•Channing Crowder....nuff said. :lol: Actually, on a few of the offensive drills they had him switching right side and left side, thought it was something to mention

[​IMG]

•Coach!

[​IMG]

•There were 4 refs floating around during the practice...was funny so I took a picture :)

[​IMG]

•23 Ronnie Brown, just a close up of the beast himself

[​IMG]

•They used Boomer Grigsby in offensive drills, defensive drills, backfield, and ST...they may still be figuring out how they want to utilize him this year.
    •After seeing the whole practice, I anticipate 23 Ronnie Brown and 34 Ricky Williams to be running right on a majority of the plays....but BOY did they perform today. Fantastic!
    •55 Joey Porter was dressed out and they had him sprinting along the sidelines but not involved in the plays

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's it. Hope it was easy to read....after all the incredible responses last year I decided to go ahead and do this again this year. Thanks guys! :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Thanks Mandy! That was a great write up and pictures.

You just had to take a pic of CC. :pity:

:tongue2:

finsgirlie likes this.
  5. finsgirlie

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    TRADITION!!!! :lol:

alen1 likes this.
  6. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Great report FG

finsgirlie likes this.
  7. phinphever

phinphever Punk, Make My Day!!

Dec 20, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Great job Thanks!!

finsgirlie likes this.
  8. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Very well done, you rock

finsgirlie likes this.
  9. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Great report! Nice pics!! Greatly appreciated.

Glad to hear Ronnie and Ricky had another great day today. I see that in the pic you have of RB he's not wearing the sleeve on his knee today. Im starting to really think he just may be ready by week 1

alen1 and finsgirlie like this.
  10. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

Great pics & write up...Thank you very much!!

finsgirlie likes this.
  11. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Thanks from those of us not fortunate to have the opportunity to go.:up:

finsgirlie likes this.
  12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Who needs the media blogs when we have great reporters like this...thanks Finsgirlie...as usual...

finsgirlie likes this.
  13. HugeFinFan

HugeFinFan Woopsy Daisy!

Mar 22, 2008
    NY
    Great job! Thanks for sharing :)

finsgirlie likes this.
  14. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    could've done without Crowders *** :tongue2:

great work Amanda.