1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

790 - Cutler to Bears

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Bumrush, Apr 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    2 first round picks and a 3rd this year.. Just heard this in car

PMZQ, Bpk, 2socks and 3 others like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

PMZQ, 2socks and brandon27 like this.
  3. ncdolfan

ncdolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Here's a link from ESPN

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4037373"]Chicago Bears acquire Jay Cutler from Denver Broncos - ESPN@@AMEPARAM@@http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4035919@@AMEPARAM@@4035919[/ame]

anlgp likes this.
  4. ncdolfan

ncdolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I will say the Broncos got a lot for him - although I'm sure they wished it had not come to this. I bet the Broncos try and get Sanchez somehow and use Orton this year.

I'm glad Cutler did not go to the Jets and stayed out of the AFC all together.

The Rev, PMZQ, Silverphin and 7 others like this.
  5. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Amen, brother.

Silverphin likes this.
  6. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    WOW! If we paid that would throw something through my TV!

7. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    A young franchise QB isn't going to come cheap.

I think it's a good trade for both teams, considering that Cutler was not going to be in Denver next year. Denver gets the picks to rebuild and Chicago finally gets the franchise QB that they have been desperate for. The biggest loser in all of this is going to be Brandon Marshall.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Thank god its not the jets!!!

Thats ALOT for the bears to give up... wow...

Bpk likes this.
  9. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm glad Cutler didn't end up with the Jets but this could end up having a negative effect on our draft this year. Denver is switching to a 3-4 defense and now they have the 18th and 84th pick. We have the 25th and 87th pick. For example the Broncos could take Clay Matthews at #18 and Dorrell Scott at #84 which would suck if the Dolphins were targeting those players.

PMZQ, Bpk and ToddsPhins like this.
  10. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Would you trade Jason Allen, Vernon Carey, Lorenzo Booker for Cutler? I would. :lol:

11. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Was that a direct quote from Cutler? :lol:

SICK likes this.
  12. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    or the bronco's fans. i hope they're not planning on getting a franchise qb in the draft, you never know what you're gonna get. if i was them i would have traded for another proven franchise qb (not Kyle Orton)and a 1st round pick.

13. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    As promised, Cutler is not a Jet. VOTE FOR GISH!!!!

PMZQ likes this.
  14. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Here's how it breaks down

Broncos get
    #1 2009
    #3 2009
    #1 2010
    QB Kyle Orton

Bears get
    QB Jay Cutler
    #5 2009 (via Seattle)

Huge deal. Denver gets a warm body and ammo to speed up the rebuilding process. They now have #12 and #18, which they could package to move up and get a QB. Orton is a free agent after this season. So they'd better get somebody for the future. Incidentally, from the numbers I'd seen, Denver should suffer little/nothing cap-wise by moving Cutler. And

Oh, and it's GREAT that NYJ missed out! :D

PMZQ, Rocky Raccoon and like2god like this.
  15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Cutler has the strong arm that the Doctor ordered in the Windy City. ;)
    I'd almost skip going after Sanchez and make Stephen McGee a project behind Orton. ?????

16. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Chicago also signed Orlando Pace today.

PMZQ, like2god and anlgp like this.
  17. anlgp

Well they're not waiting for the future to win that's for sure.

like2god likes this.
  18. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Well, think of it this way. Denver now has draft picks to play with, they could turn around and trade for Quinn or Anderson if they want to.

19. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I hope the Vikings finish last in their division this year. I hope Cutler puts up 80+ points in his 2 games against them.
    If Im a Viking fan, I would be pissed beyond belief that you let da'Bears get him when you are a QB away.

Interesting move by the Bears imo. They are kind of a tweener team for me. They are not bad, but neither are they great. They still have nobody for Cutler to throw the damn ball to (dont say Hester please), and the defense is aging FAST.
    On Denvers side, they need to immediately find a replacement for Cutler. Orton is average, not bad but certainly not great. I dont think they package anything truthfully, I think Sanchez falls to them, or take Freeman at 18 maybe. I dont see the point of gaining loads of picks just to replace the guy you got them for-they need to get mileage out of them.

20. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
  21. anlgp

So what kind of team will denver have in two years with all these draft picks piling up? They have two mid-late round first round picks this year and who knows what for two first round picks next year.

They're gonna be good if they draft right..

22. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Guess you don't mess with McDanials!!!!!!

23. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    haha!

take that 124!

:lol:

GARDENHEAD likes this.
  24. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    As long as the Jets,Bills and Bucs did'nt get him.I'm a happy little Dolphins fan today!

:yes:

25. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Getting a star QB is what the Bears have needed for a while now to put them over the top. Yeah, they paid a lot but you kind of have to when a player of Cutler's caliber and age come along. This will give the Bears the honor of losing to the Dolphins in the Super Bowl :up:.

26. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    As has been stated...as long as he's not playing for an AFCE opponent, I don't really care where he ended up.

Although, I will add that I hope he's learned something from this mess and grows up. Everyone is expendable...everyone. Hope he gets that now, and takes the next step in the maturation process. He could be a great one.

27. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Good move for the Bears, glad this wont drag out.

28. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

This also tells us that Chicago was not impressed with this year's draft class of Quarterbacks. Otherwise they could have spent the picks moving up to get one of them instead, or just taken Freeman with their original pick.

Obviously the bears feel Cutler is miles better than anyone available this year (plus he has two years under his belt already).

29. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    i agree with the bears

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  30. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I would have loved for the Jets to pay 2 1st round picks and a 3rd for a whiny QB. It would have taken them years to recover from such a disaster.

31. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    come on! i know you've seen Saturday Night Live, you must always substitute "the" with "da" when talking about Da Bears!

Rocky Raccoon and FinSane like this.
  32. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    yeah and then later on they could release him and we would pick him up and beat them with their former QB to win the division! lol

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  33. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    That's assuming he doesn't get his head on straight. I'm sorry, the thought him with a Jets jersey is the most scariest thing barring him in a Bills uni.

34. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    How good is Pace anymore ? I know he's a sure-fire HoF'er but he does have a lot of wear and tear on him.

35. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Greg Olsen is pretty nice target. :wink2:

36. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Yep, they could be scary sooner than the Dolphins. Just our luck :tantrum:

37. Skywalker

Skywalker Mile High Salute

Jan 1, 2009
    Montana
    I don't know exactly how to feel about this.

On one hand, I wanted us to keep Cutler. Who wouldn't? He's extremely talented.

On the other hand, he's shown through this whole thing he has some serious growing up to do. I do not get why he was voted as a Captain last season. Yes, I agree, the Broncos and McDaniels were wrong to even start this whole thing and try to trade him. But good god, Jay sure kept this going on too long. AND he had the nerve to come out and say, after Bowlen announced the Broncos we're going to finally trade him, that he wished that there wasn't going to be a trade and he'd like to say here.

Uh, WHY DID YOU KEEP THIS GOING ON SO LONG THEN?!?! Why did you put your house up for sale? Why wouldn't you go meet with McDaniels and Bowlen by yourself without your agent who obviously was trying to twist this situation to his advantage? Why did you formally ask for a trade then!? Why wouldn't you answer your phone this past week? I don't believe that bull of how the Broncos only called him once.

Either way, its done with now, and that's a big relief. I'm content with this deal too, and alittle excited about it. The Broncos managed to get Cutler to the NFC. Orton is a decent QB who we can use for a year or two, and I think he'll do well in McDaniels system. Having 4 first-round picks in 2 years will seriously help out our defense. I hope the Broncos go all defense in the draft this year, maybe just use the 2nd rounder for an RB. And then next year, we'll probably have to go defense again, but I'm hoping there is some way we can get Colt McCoy or Sam Bradford (I want McCoy over Bradford). If we cant get either of those two, I still think next year's QB class is better than this one.

This was a good trade for both sides, and both could end up "winning" in it in the end.

:up:

Last night after I heard he was traded, I went and taped the word "Crybaby" to the back of my Cutler jersey :lol: