1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bit of sunshine: Charles Clay

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Silverphin, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    So, I was looking up Charles Clay's stats. Interestingly enough, in this five game stretch, he already has a career high in receptions (23), yards (297), and longest reception (67 yards).

http://www.nfl.com/player/charlesclay/2495139/profile

Just thought it was interesting.

PhinsRock, Bpk, the 23rd and 4 others like this.
  2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Love me some Big Play Clay. He's really stepped it up this year. He's always had the ability but he was wildly inconsistent. Now, despite a few errors here and there, is playing at a much higher level. He's pretty valuable when you see how versatile he is and how many mismatches he creates.

Bpk, HULKFish and SICK like this.
  3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I am really hoping Egnew or Sims can develop over the season. I can't help but think how much better the offense would be with Keller.

To play with Clay of course.

Bpk, shula_guy, Tone_E and 1 other person like this.
  4. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    He's on pace for 73 receptions, 950 yards, and 6 touchdowns.

You definitely cannot complain about that type of production out of Clay so hopefully he keeps it up. I'm guessing it'll even it out to somewhere around 60 receptions, 750 yards, and 6 TDs personally... still exceeding my initial expectations though!

SICK likes this.
  5. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Keller still bums me out. He really could have helped our O big time. I'd like to see Sims develop more also. Pretty much lost all hope in Egnew. Clay has been a real nice surprise. He seems to have some nifty feet too. Now let's put an end to those drops.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    He's been good but he's not been a clean player, IMO. He keeps having a few screwups even in his good games. He was an excellent mismatch player against Baltimore, yet even so he dropped a critical ball on the final drive that could have made Sturgis' field goal attempt much more doable at 51 yards instead of 57 yards. And to be honest, I didn't feel that touchdown of his was really a touchdown. If it had been called on the field a no-catch then the video replay would have upheld that, IMO.

Another example would be the Cleveland game when he caught 5 balls for 54 yards. You're thinking, that's a pretty good result. He had a decent game, right? Except he was flagged for illegal motion during the game for moving forward before the snap like it was the CFL, and that nullified a 12 yard catch by Hartline. He was also flagged for holding on a 6 yard gain by Lamar Miller, turning the play into a 10 yard loss. He also blew some blocks during the game.

Yet another example of the two steps forward, one step back thing is the Atlanta game. Charles Clay had a decent 4 catches for 40 yards. But he also had two drops, one of which he popped up that caused an interception. The ball had sailed by about a foot because Tannehill was hit by pass rushers as he threw, but Clay still had his hands on it. He mis-timed his jump and awkwardly stabbed his paws at the ball, tipped up and picked off.

Against the Saints he did well with 6 catches for 42 yards and a touchdown, but you look closely and 5 of those catches for 37 yards including the TD came when the game was already out of reach at 35-10 in the third quarter. Kind of too little, too late.

Even the Colts game, his best of the season, wasn't totally clean. He had a drop during the game.

Bpk, Nappy Roots and cuchulainn like this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thing with Clay is he's always had a high ratio of impact plays to receptions.

Downside as Ck points out, he always seems to be screwing up in small or large ways, which are the signs of a developing player. And in the NFL a guy who can make things happen sees opportunities continue to come his way.

TBH, if there is one trade deadline acquisition I would like to see its James Casey from Philly, he's relegated behind Efert and we could use him to free up Clay to be more of a Wr/Slot Wr.

8. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Mike Pereira felt it was a TD.

9. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I thought the video made it clear that he double-clutched the football as he was going to the ground at a time when he did not have his foot and shin inbounds.

10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I agree he double clutched, but I thought he did it before he hit out of bounds and while his shin was still inbounds. I didn't watch the replay closely outside of during the game though, so I could be wrong.

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree they haven't been dominant games, but I'll admit that I didn't think he would step up to the level he has.

12. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Clay has been a pleasant surprise. Young 6th round pick makes mistakes after being thrust into starting role, shocker; but he's showing mismatch and yac ability that I wasn't expecting in 2013. Nice open field player. Tannehill seems to have a good thing going with him too. Sunshine indeed.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He's been a good backup.

He's forced to step into the starting role for an extended period of time and he looks ugly at times, great at other times, shows lots of potential, leaves you really confused about where and if he should fit into you longer term plans. That's pretty much to me the definition of a good backup.

Nolan Carroll same thing.

14. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Yeah I mean I think we should expect those type of mishaps from a back-up player forced into a starting role. He's shown some flashes and I believe he is still developing, as a complement player to a guy like Keller he could really excel. I think you might be a little over critical CK, especcially about the blocking mistakes, that should be expected early on in the season. From where he was a little while ago, when some were calling for his head he's made some real improvement and has definetly exceeded my expectations so far.

EdSta74 likes this.
  15. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Id say clays more than a backup, but not a starting TE. He's just a guy who should be on the field. We're using him the way the redskins used to use Chris Cooley. he wasnt really a TE, but he lined up there often and caught a lot of passes. If Keller hadn't gotten hurt, Clay wouldn't be as productive. But I still think he would have been a big part (relatively speaking) of the offense.

16. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If Charles Clay keeps playing like he's playing, I don't see how he isn't your starter going forward.

Right now, he's giving you Jermichael Finley or Owen Daniels, pretty comfortably. Better, if you want to play the extrapolation game to the hilt. Under a rookie contract. Warts and all, no GM is going to **** around with that.

17. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    We're getting the performance that we would have hoped for, but not necessarily expected with Dustin Keller. If he was doing what Clay was doing, I think we'd be talking extension of the 1-year deal.

Stitches likes this.
  18. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    I agree he can transform himself into a starter for sure. This injury to Keller can turn into a blessing in disguise for Clay to emerge himself. But the way the NFL is today and us having a young QB, 2 high quality TE's is important. With his versatility and Keller's presence down the seam, (hopefully we can resign him to a reasonable contract) they can be a real threat.

the 23rd likes this.
  19. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    can anyone throw some light on Dustin Keller? is he permanently damaged? if not, will he return to the team by the end or next season? is Miami no longer interested in his services? I have heard nothing since his untimely injury about a possible return.
    Keller & Clay would be a very interesting proposition on the field... with the developing & potentially lethal Sims, the stable would be awesome!

20. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    That's true, I hope he an fully recover from that injury. It was pretty bad.

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Tore all three ligaments, plus a dislocation, he would have to be completely rehabbed and get through one hell of a workout before I invested any money into the player...it's too bad, he was a perfect fit for this Qb, but there's always that chance he can Willis mcgahee it, and we should be able to get that first look when he thinks he's ready to go..that's pretty much the bad news, the good news is that while he shredded the knee, he didn't have any cartilage or nerve damage.

The man was trying to get his big contract, I'm sure he will do everything possible to take care of his family for life..

I don't want a lesser version of Keller, so he's gonna have to juice that bad boy up, know what I'm sayin.

22. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    Damn deej i'm dissapointed. You claim to be all about body health and nutrition and you want the man to take steriods? :shifty:

23. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    UNRELATED (but still TE):

You guys watching this Giants-Bears game? Forgot how much I like watching Martellus Bennett, man. THAT is what a TE should play like. Blocks like a man in the run game and even hangs back in pass pro a lot; leaks out at the perfect time as an outlet, can run the intermediate and deeper stuff down the middle, some yac ability as he's hard to bring down, mismatch in the redzone. Just a beautiful thing. His stats aren't usually great, but this dude is old-school, doing the dirty work. Giants were fools to let him go.

The league (and the Phins) could use more guys like Martellus and the Heath Miller types. Football.

24. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think anyone is going to know for a while in regards to Keller's health.

I could see them giving him a shot if he's reasonably rosterable next offseason.

25. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He's really inconsistent.

26. Sam Taylor CRDG

Sam Taylor CRDG Banned

Oct 11, 2013
    I hope because this flash in the pan Charles Clay is having a decent season, not a great season by TE standards but a decent season, people will think we don't got to sign a TE or two, the Miami is still needs to bring back KELLER and draft a young Zac Eifert type, Jordan Cameron type.

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Man I was really high on Zac Eifert too.

Sam Taylor CRDG likes this.
  28. Sam Taylor CRDG

Sam Taylor CRDG Banned

Oct 11, 2013
    What about Jordan Cameron, do you think this season is an aberration or is he the next in line of those big athletic tight ends, Jimmy Graham, Gronkowski, Antonio Gates, Kyle Rudloph, Jason Witten types? Boy I would have loved to have Jordan Cameron. Zack Ertz too is gonna be a beast, that dude is avg 22yds a catch out there in Eagle-ville. Two tight ends are the way to go now a days. Got to bring back Keller or maybe trade for Cameron, they need a RB, i'm over this Lamar Miller experiment. BOOM, Lamar Miller and a 3RD for Jordan Cameron. I'm on the phone with Cleveland right now...wait...i'm on hold...okay someone answered....okay...okay....they want to know how I got their front office number. oops. they just hung up on me. at least the idea is in their head now.

29. joenhre

joenhre Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Miami,FL
    Clay has been a big surprise. Many were writing him off after that terrible showing he had replacing Keller in the preseason game vs the Bucs. He really stepped up his level of play once the real games started. Hope he can keep it up.

30. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Decent season LOL. Clay is on pace for over 70 catches, 950 yards and 6 touchdowns. That's a pretty damn good year for him.

31. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I've been beating this drum for a while but I'd really like to see more of Dion Sims in the passing game. He's got a big frame, good hands and can really shield defenders with his body. He could really be a weapon for us.

Pariah likes this.
  32. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Clay has done alright. He was a 6th round pick. Complaining he isn't ertz, who was a 2nd is ridiculous. Dolphins passed on lots of talent lots of times. So did 31 other teams. I am hopeful he'll continue to grow, he's shown enough so far to count as passable.

Claymore95 likes this.
  33. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010

I swear you'd be that guy who toasts a wedding by giving stats on how the divorce rate's at an all time high :lol:.

Rocky Raccoon, Limbo and padre31 like this.
  34. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sort of, draft position does not mean much during games, a guy catches a Td it is not a "2nd rd pick" catching it, more that a roster spot caught it.

Have to smile at the slings aimed at Clay, he's filled in for Keller and if anything offers more flexibility, real issue is our #2 Te has..do we even have a #2 Te?

35. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Really, could you link me to this player, because I'm not familiar. :shifty:

36. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He's decent but honestly, he's not a threat on the seam. More of a boundary receiving tight end. The combo of himself and Keller would have been really nice.

37. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    I agree, but it surely gives an indication of the perceived talent of the respective players.

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    tell me you know what's going here Stitch?

39. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Well I'm not sure who you're actually trying to refer to, Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz so I was asking for a link to Zac Eifert. :chuckle:

40. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Just messin with the panckcake dude..lol...he's banned now..